The Oakland Athletics 2018 Offseason Season Thread | One and Done Again

Sac switching to the giants would be a horrible move. Sacramento won't support a losing team, so the place will sit empty and the nice stadium will waste away

Last edited:
[quote name="wooster"l="/t/583601/the-oakland-athletics-2014-season-thread-1st-25-16-in-al-west-cleveland-may-16-18/390#post_20651004"]Do you guys have any insight as to why Sacramento doesn't want the A's Triple-A team anymore and wants the Giants instead?  They should know the Giants' farm system is garbage (and that's coming from a SF fan).

No San Jose.  No Sacramento.  I feel almost apologetic.  
[/quote]

Better marketing potential I think. It is what it is, the A's need to adjust. So long as the ownership group refuses to invest in the team's marketing then that's how it will be.

Sac switching to the giants would be a horrible move. Sacramento won't support a losing team, so the place will sit empty and the nice stadium will waste away
I don't think so. Sacramento has a lot of civic pride and relish what they have in sports, both major and minor league. Case in point, Sacramento Republic FC. Their debut was just a couple of weeks ago and they sold out Hughes Stadium with 20k fans despite losing and 17k showed up the next week.

Have you been to a kings game lately?

That is a horrible example, the team/sport you mention is new to the area. losing 15% of your fans in one week is horrible. I think raley field being the nicest stadium in the pcl will keep some fans around but not the 90% of capacity they get now. Sac was hit hard by the economic downturn and people aren't spending what little extra money they have on a mediocre product.

Last edited:
I have been. I suggest you do some hard research about why Kings fans didn't attend games but then increased attendance so suddenly.

And you've gotta be kidding, right? 17k is still an awesome turnout for a minor league soccer game. And as of an hour ago the paid attendance for this past Saturday over 20k, another sellout. Sacramento was hit hard by the economic downturn, true. But so was every other city. Don't correlate that with fan attendance because that will be debunked.

Gray, Kazmir, Donaldson, and Moss all with very legit shots at the all star game this year... :smokin

could throw Chavez in there as well

At least one of our pitchers will be there, but I doubt Donaldson and/or Moss get there as starters. Cabrera is still the best third baseman and Moss platoons so I think voters might hold that against him.

If Donny continues at this rate, he better make the roster at minimum. Miggy will probably be starter, but Donny deserves to be on that team. He leads the AL in WAR. :pimp:

The more I am watching this team, the more I like offensively (compared to previous years). The most surprising thing to me is that Norris is the only guy I think that has "overachieved" thus far. Moss has been amazing and I don't expect these numbers all year, but he is a very good hitter.

C: Very good production so far, don't expect this to keep up but Norris is earning the right to play everyday
1B: Again very good production and it seems like Moss just continues to improve as a hitter
2B: Hands down our worst position, would love to see an upgrade if possible, if not just play Albert "DP" Callaspo everyday
3B: Donny proving last year is not a fluke, nothing more to say
SS: Lowrie hasn't been as impressive as last year but still solid and no real concerns
LF: Ces making better contact this year and overall has been solid
CF: Coco just needs to stay healthy
RF: Hopefully Reddick can produce just enough on offense like he has an times this year because his defense will take care of the rest
DH: I would still like to see a legit DH but don't see it happening, plus Jaso has been solid overall

The only position we should consider platooning (or just playing the hot bat) at IMO is 2B and maybe DH (Jaso/Gentry).

Other than that, I hope to see a similar lineup out there everyday. It seems like the top/middle of our lineup has solidified a bit this year compared to last.

Imagine a rotation of Gray-Kazmir-Parker-Chavez-Pomeranz next year. With Griffin/Straily/Milone as depth and trade bait. :x

Nick Punto and/or Sogard need to go. We need to replace them with someone who can hit at least .250.

I've been saying this. I was on r/oaklandathletics earlier, and a guy suggested we go after Emilio Bonafacio to be that 2B/utility guy to fill in wherever there's a hole in the lineup; I'm all for it.

We just don't have the ammo in the minors to pull off something like that I fear. If Billy's plan is to court Jed and give him an extension to have him move to second then we'd be in decent shape going forward. Addison and Jed up the middle is excellent offensively and solid enough defensively.

I would love to have Jed back next year and move him to second but I don't really see it happening. I don't think he will be giving us any sort of discount.

I got the shirt and maybe that bobble head somewhere. My shirt is definitely not that green anymore though. :lol:

We have no body in the upper farm system who is worth dealing (Addison ain't going anywhere).

If Straily put together some strong starts in AAA I can see him have some value. Maybe Daniel Robertson could be of value to some teams?

Back
Top Bottom