*The Official 2008 NBA Finals Game 1 Post ~~ CELTICS vs LAKERS Vol. Stern got his way

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by acidicality

there isn't much of a difference between rondo and fisher to me, but fisher gets the edge because he has experience. Rondo does some things much better than Fisher can, but Fisher also does some things much better than Rondo (like shooting).
not much diffrence???? are you crazy how about the jump shot!!!!!! and not to mention hes a much better defender!!!!!
I agree. rondo is better. plus hes faster. we only have one shot blocker on the team and thats turiaf...
I can't belive these people how can you even compare the 2 look at the stats posted above dude is gona be a HOF player and you gona tell me rondo is better 3rings and rondo is better? People must have jumped on the NBA this year to think that..... Look what fish has done to fast point gaurds this season winning records against; Nash, CP3, and willams In the west!!!!!!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You think Fisher is going to be in the Hall of Fame? With career averages of nine points and three assists per game? True, he was a part of some great Lakers teams and had a big role on them and hit big shots, but he's never been an all-star type player. You might as well say Rick Fox should be in the Hall of Fame too.

who said that?
laugh.gif
the only thing that Fisher should get is his numberretired as a Laker and that, in itself, is a sacred --- Michael Cooper's isn't even retired. HOF credentials numbers - no. the heart and mentaltoughness that many HOFers have - Fish has that too.

yeah Fish is not a HOFer, I think even Ska would agree
Rondo is developing nicely, but the man isn't going to be a star when the Big 3 are done.

Also, I hear you U ttocs, I'm really nervous about them.

This isn't sitting right with me at all. Boston won 66 freaking games and has homecourt advantage, how the heck are they underdogs? This team won 66 games, best defensive team in the league. I just don't get it, the media is acting like this is some forgone conclusion that the Lakers are taking this.

i think its because the lakers pretty much coasted thru the playoffs (against better teams too) and the celtics didnt. none of that matters now regardlesstho.the media is gonna d ride whoever they want at the moment , untill they start losing.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

So when Kobe retires they are free to root for whatever team they want? I am sorry, but that is not really being a fan IMO.

And I would actually argue that making the playoffs with no chance of winning a ring is worse than not making it and getting a good pick.
I'm a Lakers fan and a Kobe fan, but it Lakers first and foremost.
If he went to the Knicks, I'd still root for him, but I'd be a Lakers fan 1st.
Again, how do you know they'll stop being Lakers fans once Kobe retires/leaves?

What I meant by making the playoffs> not making the playoffs is that you can't talk !@#% about another team when your team is one of the worst in theleague.

Well what else are you to do? Shut up while these clowns are popping their Kobe jerseys when you know they were the first ones to pick up KG jerseys this year? Sorry, if you couldn't tell, bandwagon fans get to me worse than anything in sports, except for Bennett Salvatore.

And when you can heckle them with the facts it's all fair game
Again, how do you know they are just Kobe stans and not Lakers fans?
I don't think you can call them "bandwagon fans", the Lakers were not very good last year.

The Lakers are one of the biggest teams in the NBA, they have fans all across the states, you shouldn't get mad that they're in Boston and celebratinga win...

Well, looks like all the so called "experts" at ESPN are choosing the Lakers, so I definitely like my boys' chances.

Seriously though, I'm not even going to read all the posts in this thread because it's pointless. I spent pretty much all of Friday night arguinglogically with some Laker fans at a party I was at, and we all just agreed to disagree. We could have bickered all night till we were all blue in the face,but winning an argument at some lounge, website, blog, etc isn't going to decide who wins this series.

To the die-hard Laker fans - feels so nostalgic huh? It's only right that the best team out of the West faces the best team out of the East for the title. Just like old times. May the best team win, and good luck.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

This isn't sitting right with me at all. Boston won 66 freaking games and has homecourt advantage, how the heck are they underdogs? This team won 66 games, best defensive team in the league. I just don't get it, the media is acting like this is some forgone conclusion that the Lakers are taking this.

i think its because the lakers pretty much coasted thru the playoffs (against better teams too) and the celtics didnt. none of that matters now regardless tho.the media is gonna d ride whoever they want at the moment , untill they start losing.

regular season and playoffs are a different animal - Celtics fans should know this by now.
laugh.gif
The Lakers are right up there with the Celtics in terms of defense during thisplayoffs...and offense well you all know that the Lakers run their offense much better than watching Pierce go one on one or as Doc even admitted - that theyran the same play this previous game for the last seven minues - bc that was what the team was most comfortable with.

Originally Posted by u ttocs

i'm assuming you've missed the entire postseason so far?

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

So when Kobe retires they are free to root for whatever team they want? I am sorry, but that is not really being a fan IMO.

And I would actually argue that making the playoffs with no chance of winning a ring is worse than not making it and getting a good pick.

so what are the Celtics doing in the playoffs?

--This thread is comedy so far...Why can't Laker fans admit they can't underestimate the Celtics? Why can't Celtic fans give the Lakers props fortearing through the supreme wectern conference with relative ease?
--Wow. Crazy. Nontheless, GO LAKERS!!

there is nothing to underestimate, i honestly think the celtics fell off big time... do you guys even remember all they hype during the first half of theseason? these guys took the hawks to 7 and almost lost to cavs... in 7... lebron choked(yea can of worms) .. even their detroit series wasnt outstanding...
basically, kg can have his 20, pp can have his 30... gl to ray scoring on kobe... gl to rondo scoring on fish and perkins can have his average game....

lakers in 6 but we REALLLLLLLLY need one of the two games there

--This thread is comedy so far...Why can't Laker fans admit they can't underestimate the Celtics? Why can't Celtic fans give the Lakers props fortearing through the tough western conference with relative ease?
--Wow. Crazy. Nontheless, GO LAKERS!!

even their detroit series wasnt outstanding...
Stop.

Detroit was a bit lackluster, but Boston definitely showed signs they were starting to get their game together and perhaps "peaking" at the righttime. I'm just saying.

i admit, i have watched few of the lakers playoff games being that they've been on late here in the east coast, so i have a question: the celtics supposedto have the toughest team defense in the league, if they are able to disrupt the flow of the triangle offence, what do the lakers do to adjust?

Detroit was/is an underachieving, and unmotivated team.

And honestly, their talent level is overrated is well.

The C's beat the Lakers, I'll be impressed...I'm not yet.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

i admit, i have watched few of the lakers playoff games being that they've been on late here in the east coast, so i have a question: the celtics supposed to have the toughest team defense in the league, if they are able to disrupt the flow of the triangle offence, what do the lakers do to adjust?

Well, during the 4th quarter of game 5 of the Spurs series, the Lakers basically ran a Kobe/Pau Pick-n-Roll the entire time with some Kobe iso, but besidethat they've pretty much stuck to the Triangle(I think)

Originally Posted by acidicality

there isn't much of a difference between rondo and fisher to me, but fisher gets the edge because he has experience. Rondo does some things much better than Fisher can, but Fisher also does some things much better than Rondo (like shooting).
not much diffrence???? are you crazy how about the jump shot!!!!!! and not to mention hes a much better defender!!!!!
I agree. rondo is better. plus hes faster. we only have one shot blocker on the team and thats turiaf...
I can't belive these people how can you even compare the 2 look at the stats posted above dude is gona be a HOF player and you gona tell me rondo is better 3rings and rondo is better? People must have jumped on the NBA this year to think that..... Look what fish has done to fast point gaurds this season winning records against; Nash, CP3, and willams In the west!!!!!!!!

were not talking about the past and thats clearly what you are basing this on...

Originally Posted by dyyhard

as Byron Scott quoted after his Hornets bowed out - "You don't go from not making the playoffs to winning a championship. It just doesn't work that way. ..." nuff said...

This year will prove that statement wrong

Originally Posted by u ttocs

it all smells fishy..... but ofcourse i dont know what im talking about...

Originally Posted by dyyhard

as Byron Scott quoted after his Hornets bowed out - "You don't go from not making the playoffs to winning a championship. It just doesn't work that way. ..." nuff said...

This year will prove that statement wrong

you really think stern will set it up for the celtics to win? if it;s fixed, i would think he'd want the lakers to win, they got the MVP...createanother "Jordan-Bulls" type era in the form of the Kobe-Lakers.... but if it is fixed, i would think they would make it go 7 and then have whateverhappens happen in Game 7.

The NBA is not fixed people
Stern isn't trying to risk globalizing the game to make sure some team wins the title
eyes.gif

He's probably extra cautious from the ref scandel anyway...

good? yeah he's ok, I guess.
indifferent.gif
but he does think that Kobe is going to leadthem in 6.

The writer is from Fort Worth - the Star, but the article appears in the Boston Herald.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1097960

Kobe Bryant is good, but can't touch Michael Jordan

By Jan Hubbard / McClatchy Newspapers
Sunday, June 1, 2008 - Added 8h ago

FORT WORTH, Texas - The look was pure king cobra, and if it had been in his repertoire, Michael Jordan would have undoubtedly hissed. He was standing at thetop of the circle, looking at a shorter, inferior defender who had the misfortune of having to guard Jordan because of a defensive switch.

Jordan paused and a venomous smile spread across his face. His prey crouched, jiggled his feet and prepared for the massacre. Jordan dribbled, juked andstruck. It was over quickly. Two points.

The scene was in Madison Square Garden in the early '90s. The Chicago Bulls were playing the New York Knicks. Mark Jackson was the defender. Jeff Van Gundywas a New York assistant coach, seated on the sidelines.

Jordan was not only disdainful of Jackson trying to guard him, but he also toyed with him. The Bulls made a habit out of doing that with the Knicks. In thefour-year period of 1988-92 - until Jackson departed New York to play for the Clippers - the Knicks and Bulls met in the playoffs three times and Chicago wonall three.

I've thought about the intensity of that rivalry several times over the last couple of years when I've had to listen to Jackson talk about how KobeBryant is as good, if not better, than Jordan. Jackson drew Van Gundy into the conversation during the Celtics [team stats]-Pistons game on ESPN on Fridaynight when Van Gundy said he had been reluctant to agree with Jackson, but he was beginning to see his point.

If that's true, Van Gundy should consider LASIK. And Jackson should consider his desire to be a head coach. Most of the current NBA general managers wereinvolved in the league during the '80s and '90s and they have to be saying to themselves: "If Mark Jackson really believes that Kobe Bryant is asgood as Michael Jordan, then I don't want that idiot in charge of my team."

My feeling is Jackson's commentary is a residue of the competition he and the Knicks had with Jordan and the Bulls. Jackson has also discovered the powerof the media. Jordan may have embarrassed him on the court, but Jackson has the last word on national TV.

Kobe Bryant is a wonderful player. I am extraordinarily excited about watching him lead the Lakers against the Celtics in the NBA Finals that begin Thursday. Ifully expect a classic performance, and I firmly believe he will lead the Lakers to a championship in six games with the final game on the Celtics' homecourt.

But he's not Michael Jordan, and he knows it.

"You're talking about the greatest that ever played the game," Bryant said in an exasperated tone in an interview with ESPN's Stephen A.Smith. "Michael is Michael!"

On his national radio show, Dan Patrick approached the same subject with Larry Bird.

"I think Kobe is the best player in our league, and I think he's been the best player for a long time ..." Bird said. "But to say he'sanother Michael Jordan - I can't do that."

One point should be made. We're talking about pure basketball.

There is no doubt that Jordan is a cultural phenomenon who far exceeds anyone commercially. And although he had his share of controversies, they weren't assevere as Bryant's.

But defending Michael Jordan as the best player really is quiet easy. You can go through the statistics, championships, accolades, the individual parts of hisgame that made him great, etc., but ultimately it's a little like defending motherhood.

Why was your mom the greatest person in the world? Because you grew up with her, watched her and you know that she was.

Why is Michael Jordan the greatest player ever? Because anyone with the blessing of eyesight who watched him knows that he was. It is, very simply, common sense. That's why when describing the greatness of people who excel, it's popular to say, "He (or she) is the Michael Jordan of (whatever)."

Not the Kobe Bryant of, the Wilt Chamberlain of, the Bill Russell of, the Magic Johnson of, the Larry Bird of or the Julius Erving of. It's the Michael Jordan of.

I covered Mark Jackson as a player and Jeff Van Gundy as a coach and like and respect both of them as professionals. But if this is the silly, inflammatory, ridiculous sort of commentary that we can expect during the Finals, I'll be watching the games with the sound down. Because it would be quite clear that neither Jackson nor Van Gundy is the Michael Jordan of NBA analysts.

Back
Top Bottom