The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question about declining arm strength. May sound stupid. So obviously arm strength isn’t just about the arm, it’s about core and leg strength as well, basically a full body motion.

But my question is, if declining arm strength is such a big deal for QBs, why does it seem like these older guys aren’t on serious training regimens? You’re telling me a Rivers or Eli couldn’t have extended the prime of their career when basically it was killed by their arms falling off and either is known for keeping in elite shape

its easier for the defense & corners to play on them btw which causes those turnovers. Eli probably ain’t even care to do anything to help with the arm strength but honestly I just think it goes when it goes especially if you came in the league with not the strongest arm in general.

I got a question about declining arm strength. May sound stupid. So obviously arm strength isn’t just about the arm, it’s about core and leg strength as well, basically a full body motion.

But my question is, if declining arm strength is such a big deal for QBs, why does it seem like these older guys aren’t on serious training regimens? You’re telling me a Rivers or Eli couldn’t have extended the prime of their career when basically it was killed by their arms falling off and either is known for keeping in elite shape

Interesting and good question.

Could very well be desire to some degree and maybe muscle recovery, by another extent. Putting in the work probably gets arduous? Brees is known to be a workout warrior and he's still going. These guys get so good at figuring things out mentally, it almost seems like they go through the motions in the off-season, physically and put more into tape and the mental aspect with ever-evolving schemes. I have no way to validate that, but you can kinda see in guys like Brees, Brady that stay hungry, but never had top level arm strength. Dudes like Favre, Rodgers, Roethlisberger can play at high levels I think for so long because they started with A+ arm strength and even a bit of decline they're still well above average.

Seems like it could be a lot of factors. :lol:

I heard rumor on ESPN radio they may move Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler off of ESPN college Saturday night to MNF. I know Herbstreit said he doesn’t want to leave the college booth.

I like Fowler and his screaming :lol:

You can always hear herbstreit’s throat tightening up and the tears forming whenever he’s calling an Ohio state game and they’re getting their teeth kicked in

I like Fowler and his screaming :lol:

You can always hear herbstreit’s throat tightening up and the tears forming whenever he’s calling an Ohio state game and they’re getting their teeth kicked in

He otherwise mumbles quite a bit...we've talked about this before, but yeah...he yells. :lol:

Tessitore is the polished version of Fowler and Herbstreit ain't NFL, so I don't see it, but ESPN probably f's it up anyway making this likely.

Everyone I’d want is employed elsewhere

like I think Nate burleson is going be calling games for someone.. but he has experience doing it

I would be interested to see how Ryan Clark or Marcus spears would do.. or Mina and Dominique.. obviously you’d get a vet play by play guy to go with em

Clark is someone I thought of. No issues with him, but given track record of Witten then Booger, ESPN needs a slam dunk. Doesn't need to be someone everyone loves, because that won't happen with anyone, but gotta stay from guys like Rex Ryan, but also someone with a little bit of cache. Steve Young would've been perfect 10 years ago...

Louis Riddick might be the best choice and I'd be great with that. He'll probably be a GM in the next few years though.

Levy and Griese?

Yeah, after really thinking on options for this, I'd say Levy, Riddick, Griese and Clark are most likely. Some combination there.

Last edited:
Clark is someone I thought of. No issues with him, but given track record of Witten then Booger, ESPN needs a slam dunk. Doesn't need to be someone everyone loves, because that won't happen with anyone, but gotta stay from guys like Rex Ryan, but also someone with a little bit of cache. Steve Young would've been perfect 10 years ago...

Louis Riddick might be the best choice and I'd be great with that. He'll probably be a GM in the next few years though.
Is Tim Tebow any good? I know he does college football, not sure if he’s ever announced for NFL though. I can see them picking Tebow for his popularity.

Serious question: What is the deal with Jimmy G? From an outsiders perspective. Just curious. I want to have a thoughtful convo for once.

Levy and Griese?

Yeah, after really thinking on options for this, I'd say Levy, Riddick, Griese and Clark are most likely. Some combination there.

Hard for me to compare anyone to witten except how I expect things to play out with brees whenever he moves on to tv.. witten never showed much of any sorta personality that would make you think he’d be good on tv., and brees is super dry whenever I see him on tv

booger is like Rex to me, I tuned out whenever I saw them on.. like a ton of former players or coaches

I feel like Mina and Dominique would be safest choices of who they have.. Mina worked 9ers games during the last preseason.. Dominique obviously played.. they both are regularly on tv and other mediums and use to have a show together and do pods together regularly.. and both are smart, relatable and knowledgeable about the game

get an experienced play by play guy to go with them that his some personality and you’d be good to go.. and I feel like you can bring in like Riddick or other personalities for segments

Just my opinion(s) but I think it's tiered several layers. The windows they throw to are micro differences, just a smidge off their fastball and their cooked.
Throws wise, they only have so many in them. At 25 they can throw 100+ passes day after day and feel nothin tomorrow. At 35, 100 would cause some discomfort tomorrow, so they have to scale back. Save their "best" 100 throws for real action. That will also cause a lack of strength/timing no matter how much lifting or stretching they do.

Another factor, once they feel/notice a slight difference, their minds change. They see that micro window but being unsure they hesitate just a millisecond and try to "gain it back" by forcin it rather than throwin with their normal anticipation.

Older/weight gain. Say they've gained 10 pounds over 5 years as they leave 32 and his 37, maybe that slight difference affects their legs, balance, core what have you. (Not every QB may have this, Brady doesn't, but Ben might, ya know?)

To me, it's not any one factor, it's a percent of all of it rolled into one. Just my .02

And we’ve at least seen g regg from the 7th floor crew show some personality unlike witten

Okay maybe Tess' didn't suck more, but I felt his delivery was so forced.

I agree. He’s not the worst but his delivery for sure comes off forced to me so I have issues taking him seriously.

McAfee is great, and it might be just me, but I don't want it to get old. He should definitely get in on the Sunday rotation though. Primitive might be a lot. Or it could be great...not sure.

I like him too but yeah I’ve been thinking if he got a gig like MNF I wouldn’t be surprised if he got old quickly with a dose that heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom