The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

finished the first anime season of mob psycho 100. really picked up in the end with the claw organization.

Mob's master was hilarious. just might have to put it up there with OPM.

ONE is a great story teller. A lot of similarities but enough differences to make em both entertaining.

Hop right into season 2 dawg. I'm interested in seeing how you feel about Mob Psycho vs One Punch Man after that :lol:

i'm going to be really real with you right now. HxH is super over-hyped as a whole. (I said AS A WHOLE)
the initial meet up and training arc was super boring.
Phanthom Troupe arc didn't really get good til the fights start happening.
The tower arc was...........ok.....i guess........
greed island was trash.....the only thing that wasn't trash was them training and the game towards the end.
I haven't finished Chimera Ant arc, but the beginning of it is crazy slow.
HxH is top three best shounen anime of all time, I see you're bugging as usual.

HXH is one of the best anime of all time. If not the best.

I will agree greed island was meh though.

I got chimera ant arc as the best I’ve ever seen

You got it backwards Greed Island was one of the best adventure arc

Chimera Ants was too dragging, too much dialogue.

But we can agree to disagree but HXH is legit

HxH is top three best shounen anime of all time, I see you're bugging as usual.
im not saying HxH is bad, just saying putting it top 3 shonen is Wild to me. the inconsistency in GREAT content is too all over the place for my liking.
even your beloved MHA stays a bit consistent with the Lulz and action.
again Phanthom troupe arc was LIT... the tourney didn't get lit til they were on the top tower.
greed island was only lit with them keeping dude alive to train. and the dodgeball game.
I haven't made it far enough in chimera ant arc. hulu only has til the 4 generals were being created by the mother ant
the rest (not mentioned) was a super drag to watch. Gon isn't that interesting of a character (over joyous always happy guy. cool) they kept kuripka (sp?) kinda hidden. the business doctor dude is funny but useless. Killua is cool and hisoka is a nut and i love em

HxH is great overall. Idk if I'd have it top 3 shounen of all time I'd have to think it through and see what else is in consideration.

I really enjoyed the early arcs. I don't remember greed island super well, but was still engaged at that point. The Chimera ant arc is where I actually fell off. Some point after Netero's fight. Mainly cause it got so much into the meta of people's thought processes of every single thing. It got really reliant into telling and not showing for a while. So i know what happens in Gon vs Pitou but never actually watched it yet and I know generally what's been going on in the series, but w/o detail obviously. I'll probably go back and rewatch the entire series at some point, but my backlog is so giant, I have no idea when it'll be and I don't really want to read the manga for it until I'm at where the anime ends.

I've been reading Berserk and went back and re-read some of food wars. Just makes me more upset with where food wars ended up when it had so much potential.

Shokugeki no soma could def be in that top 5 current anime/mangas right now if not for this last arc.

Shokugeki no soma could def be in that top 5 current anime/mangas right now if not for this last arc.
Arc before that was shaky too, but not completely awful. It's like the author just got tired of the series or gave up. I can't even explain. He laid so much good ground work and then threw it away.

I need to start up some of the new shounen too. Been waiting for chainsaw man to hit chapter 50 before diving in. Also waiting for the current MHA arc to finish before I go back.

im not saying HxH is bad, just saying putting it top 3 shonen is Wild to me. the inconsistency in GREAT content is too all over the place for my liking.
even your beloved MHA stays a bit consistent with the Lulz and action.
again Phanthom troupe arc was LIT... the tourney didn't get lit til they were on the top tower.
greed island was only lit with them keeping dude alive to train. and the dodgeball game.
I haven't made it far enough in chimera ant arc. hulu only has til the 4 generals were being created by the mother ant
the rest (not mentioned) was a super drag to watch. Gon isn't that interesting of a character (over joyous always happy guy. cool) they kept kuripka (sp?) kinda hidden. the business doctor dude is funny but useless. Killua is cool and hisoka is a nut and i love em
Bro you're BUGGING.

I just re-watched a bunch of Greed Island this weekend because I was tired of lackluster, one-dimensional anime and threw HxH on at a random episode. Arc is hype for multiple reasons:
1) When contemplating that this entire game world can be built with nen within the confines of how it is explained within the show, that's just mindblowing
2) The Binolt training portion is hype
3) Killua goes back to take the Hunter Exam and takes out every other person in order to pass - which shows the amount of growth he's achieved since learning nen since there's no way he could have done that non-lethally before
4) We are exposed to even more non-lethal / non-battle nen abilities via the nen exorcist, which further deepens the world
5) Gon actually develops his hatsu into Jajanken, and FAILS to figure out Paper (a shounen protagonist NOT perfecting his technique before the big conflict? how often does this happen?)
6) Genthru blows up all the weaklings
7) Hisoka interacts with the Troupe, setting the stage for the most hype battle in the series (manga only for now)
8) Dodgeball game further shows Gon's digusting potential
9) Fight against the Bombers - first battle usage of Killua's hatsu, Bisky going ape(literally)****, and Gon SACRIFICING AN ARM JUST TO BE RIGHT, THEN K-Oing GENTHRU
10) A catch all for all the little strategic moments that I feel really make the show special: Tsezgerra's strategy to run from Team Genthru and Genthru's rebuttal by checking all people who leave the magic shop, Genthru's immediate recognition that Gon knows his abilities and his tactical shift from there, Killua's plan to find bums holding onto their cards and trading with them for Leave cards, Hisoka figuring out how to explain his presence as Chrollo without revealing the nen exorcist and Killua finding out because he realizes Hisoka is bored, etc.)
11) Gon beats a game that stumped top-tier hunters for YEARS, and also happens to literally be made for him to grow stronger, which we find out as we learn more about Ging in this arc than we probably do in any other arc. And the arc is also only 15 episodes - not very long, and 5 episodes less than Yorknew

I'm not going to sit here and say Greed Island is the best arc (it's definitely top three though). I'm just saying that there's really a ton to unpack within that arc and Togashi is able to maintain / balance consistency in a masterful way. It's super interesting because it's primarily a training arc that really helps Killua and Gon come into their own with their nen abilities. It also doesn't try to manufacture super high stakes - yes, Genthru is a bad dude, but Gon is mostly playing this game because it'll help bring him closer to his dad, which is his ultimate goal (not becoming the Hokage, Wizard King, the Greatest Hero, or whatever else). Outside of the Bomber fight and Dodgeball there's relatively no action, but if you can appreciate the growth of Killua and Gon and the strategic approach they take to winning the game then it's pretty rewarding.

Also, if you classify Gon as just an always happy dude then you're missing a large chunk of what makes the show special. Gon is an inherently selfish character with a strong positive outlook (mostly because his enormous potential allows things to go his way most of the time), which really boils down to him being immature. His immaturity (and selfishness) is his most distinguishing factor compared to most shounen protagonists (I'd say Luffy is closest), and we see it factor into key moments in interesting ways. In Greed Island alone, we see two major instances: 1) when he (knowingly) DESTROYS Killua's hands while using jajanken to shoot the ball at Razor and 2) when he puts all of the work that Bisky and Killua did at risk during their battle with the bombers by sacrificing his arm, just so he can try to beat Genthru on fair footing - there was literally no reason to do, he just wanted to try it. The most impactful instance of his selfishness is the way he treats Killua throughout the Ant arc as he grieves for Kite - it's clear that he's immature and still just a child. His immaturity is what ultimately allows him to defeat Pitou, in that he's not thinking about what's "right" or "good" anymore - his aura during his interactions with Pitou is not pure, it's corrupted and tainted with hatred. His immaturity allows him to cast away his life's potential in order to beat a singular entity - his desire for revenge meant he couldn't wait to reach a point where he could beat Pitou through training, and so he cashed out his life's potential to destroy him, fueled by hatred. And it was REAL. This wasn't Ichigo randomly getting a new mask and destroying Ulquiorra, it wasn't Naruto going eight tails against Pain and then finding himself again - not only did Gon legitimately almost die and need to have an arc dedicated to his healing, BUT HE LEGIT CAN NO LONGER USE NEN ANYMORE. DONE. OUT OF THE STORY.

The true beauty of Hunter x Hunter is in the details, the consistency, and the depth of the characters. Frankly, I totally agree that it might not be Top 3 when you include shows that are basically a single arc like FMA: Brotherhood (masterpiece). But when you start talking about the long form shounen with multiple arcs and progression like One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, Bleach, My Hero, etc., I would really challenge you to find three shows that are better than HxH.

Wow, look at that wall of text.

Anyway, I know it's technically not an anime, but I just bought Battle Angel Alita today on a whim. Heard good things about the UHD, and the fact that it comes with the 3D disc and I was able to find the steelbook was enough for me to give it a shot.

Wow, look at that wall of text.

Anyway, I know it's technically not an anime, but I just bought Battle Angel Alita today on a whim. Heard good things about the UHD, and the fact that it comes with the 3D disc and I was able to find the steelbook was enough for me to give it a shot.
It's an adaptation of a Japanese series that has a manga and an OVA, so it's cool. We've talked about live action adaptations in here before, and most of them were not good. :lol:
ABA was fine though. I was entertained by it.

While I'm here, I started reading a new series called Spy x Family and it's very entertaining. Good mix of action, comedy, and slice of life, with an emphasis on the comedy.

Yo...it never really hit me that Kite is actually Meruem's twin sister now. Does that mean he could reach the same strength levels as Meruem?

Also, the theory that "mace" roll in the fight with Pitou is what allowed him to be reincarnated is blowing my mind. I'm officially giving up on Togashi ever delivering a satisfactory ending to HxH - there's just way too much cool ish to cover.

Bro you're BUGGING.

I just re-watched a bunch of Greed Island this weekend because I was tired of lackluster, one-dimensional anime and threw HxH on at a random episode. Arc is hype for multiple reasons:
1) When contemplating that this entire game world can be built with nen within the confines of how it is explained within the show, that's just mindblowing
2) The Binolt training portion is hype
3) Killua goes back to take the Hunter Exam and takes out every other person in order to pass - which shows the amount of growth he's achieved since learning nen since there's no way he could have done that non-lethally before
4) We are exposed to even more non-lethal / non-battle nen abilities via the nen exorcist, which further deepens the world
5) Gon actually develops his hatsu into Jajanken, and FAILS to figure out Paper (a shounen protagonist NOT perfecting his technique before the big conflict? how often does this happen?)
6) Genthru blows up all the weaklings
7) Hisoka interacts with the Troupe, setting the stage for the most hype battle in the series (manga only for now)
8) Dodgeball game further shows Gon's digusting potential
9) Fight against the Bombers - first battle usage of Killua's hatsu, Bisky going ape(literally)****, and Gon SACRIFICING AN ARM JUST TO BE RIGHT, THEN K-Oing GENTHRU
10) A catch all for all the little strategic moments that I feel really make the show special: Tsezgerra's strategy to run from Team Genthru and Genthru's rebuttal by checking all people who leave the magic shop, Genthru's immediate recognition that Gon knows his abilities and his tactical shift from there, Killua's plan to find bums holding onto their cards and trading with them for Leave cards, Hisoka figuring out how to explain his presence as Chrollo without revealing the nen exorcist and Killua finding out because he realizes Hisoka is bored, etc.)
11) Gon beats a game that stumped top-tier hunters for YEARS, and also happens to literally be made for him to grow stronger, which we find out as we learn more about Ging in this arc than we probably do in any other arc. And the arc is also only 15 episodes - not very long, and 5 episodes less than Yorknew

I'm not going to sit here and say Greed Island is the best arc (it's definitely top three though). I'm just saying that there's really a ton to unpack within that arc and Togashi is able to maintain / balance consistency in a masterful way. It's super interesting because it's primarily a training arc that really helps Killua and Gon come into their own with their nen abilities. It also doesn't try to manufacture super high stakes - yes, Genthru is a bad dude, but Gon is mostly playing this game because it'll help bring him closer to his dad, which is his ultimate goal (not becoming the Hokage, Wizard King, the Greatest Hero, or whatever else). Outside of the Bomber fight and Dodgeball there's relatively no action, but if you can appreciate the growth of Killua and Gon and the strategic approach they take to winning the game then it's pretty rewarding.

Also, if you classify Gon as just an always happy dude then you're missing a large chunk of what makes the show special. Gon is an inherently selfish character with a strong positive outlook (mostly because his enormous potential allows things to go his way most of the time), which really boils down to him being immature. His immaturity (and selfishness) is his most distinguishing factor compared to most shounen protagonists (I'd say Luffy is closest), and we see it factor into key moments in interesting ways. In Greed Island alone, we see two major instances: 1) when he (knowingly) DESTROYS Killua's hands while using jajanken to shoot the ball at Razor and 2) when he puts all of the work that Bisky and Killua did at risk during their battle with the bombers by sacrificing his arm, just so he can try to beat Genthru on fair footing - there was literally no reason to do, he just wanted to try it. The most impactful instance of his selfishness is the way he treats Killua throughout the Ant arc as he grieves for Kite - it's clear that he's immature and still just a child. His immaturity is what ultimately allows him to defeat Pitou, in that he's not thinking about what's "right" or "good" anymore - his aura during his interactions with Pitou is not pure, it's corrupted and tainted with hatred. His immaturity allows him to cast away his life's potential in order to beat a singular entity - his desire for revenge meant he couldn't wait to reach a point where he could beat Pitou through training, and so he cashed out his life's potential to destroy him, fueled by hatred. And it was REAL. This wasn't Ichigo randomly getting a new mask and destroying Ulquiorra, it wasn't Naruto going eight tails against Pain and then finding himself again - not only did Gon legitimately almost die and need to have an arc dedicated to his healing, BUT HE LEGIT CAN NO LONGER USE NEN ANYMORE. DONE. OUT OF THE STORY.

The true beauty of Hunter x Hunter is in the details, the consistency, and the depth of the characters. Frankly, I totally agree that it might not be Top 3 when you include shows that are basically a single arc like FMA: Brotherhood (masterpiece). But when you start talking about the long form shounen with multiple arcs and progression like One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, Bleach, My Hero, etc., I would really challenge you to find three shows that are better than HxH.

damn you wrote all that just for me to still tell you it's trash...

j/k, but still not top 3
i appreciate all the good points you wrote about the story. and those I agree with. but from an ep by ep still not that convincing me it's a top 3.

bruce negro bruce negro speaking facts. Mereum character progression alone makes that arc top tier...let’s not even get into how side characters like ikalgo had meaningful beautifully written development...:smh:

If the anime returns and We get to see THAT fight it’s a wrap for these other anime :sick:

Manga readers y’all know what fight I’m talking about

Another Soma epilogue chapter dropped. Started strong and ended terribly. Tsukada had 3 chapters to wrap things up and he makes one trash. I wouldn't be mad if they never gave him another series after this.

bruce negro bruce negro speaking facts. Mereum character progression alone makes that arc top tier...let’s not even get into how side characters like ikalgo had meaningful beautifully written development...:smh:

If the anime returns and We get to see THAT fight it’s a wrap for these other anime :sick:

Bro the fact that freaking WELFIN was responsible for one of the most pivotal moments of the arc speaks volumes to Togashi's attention to otherwise minor characters. The Ant arc is seriously a masterpiece but it's also an arc that you have to put the work into to enjoy. Sounds very counter-intuitive to say that, but it's true - the payoff in that arc is truly on its own tier.

Another Soma epilogue chapter dropped. Started strong and ended terribly. Tsukada had 3 chapters to wrap things up and he makes one trash. I wouldn't be mad if they never gave him another series after this.
I mean, at this point this development isn't even too crazy. Completely unnecessary IMO, but I can see why Tsukada would want to put a bow on the Asahi storyline. Either way, I wasn't expecting a truly satisfying ending to this manga after the last couple arcs, particularly since there are only three chapters.

Aye I’m confused I think you mighta stopped watching early cuzz did you watch on Hulu? Because that stops in the middle of chimera ant arc but Crunchyroll goes until gon meets his dad in the tree. So if you’re talking about the mereum fight, it’s been animated. And it’s crazzzzzzy. Probably my fav fight I’ve ever seen. The only main fight that hasn’t been animated is chrollo vs. hisoka

Last edited:
So I’m around ep 70 of OP, it got better it just has a slow buildup. I like that this fool Luffy is basically an idiot but he’s a loyal idiot to his crew. Also Zoro is badass. How long does it take to see them all get their power ups?

Bro the fact that freaking WELFIN was responsible for one of the most pivotal moments of the arc speaks volumes to Togashi's attention to otherwise minor characters. The Ant arc is seriously a masterpiece but it's also an arc that you have to put the work into to enjoy. Sounds very counter-intuitive to say that, but it's true - the payoff in that arc is truly on its own tier.

I agree bro. I had to rewatch it a couple times to truly appreciate it.

Aye I’m confused I think you mighta stopped watching early cuzz did you watch on Hulu? Because that stops in the middle of chimera ant arc but Crunchyroll goes until gon meets his dad in the tree. So if you’re talking about the mereum fight, it’s been animated. And it’s crazzzzzzy. Probably my fav fight I’ve ever seen. The only main fight that hasn’t been animated is chrollo vs. hisoka

Yeah I’m talking about the chrollo vs hisoka fight fam

2 things that I can’t wait to happen in my life are the winds of winter book GOT book to release and for hXH to reach the lost continent.

Back
Top Bottom