The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

That latest My Hero chapter :smokin
as the main person in here that absolutely $h!tted on MHA,
this arc has been wonderful, still has it's hiccups to me, but they're really going for it.
There I say............im excited for this to be animated

Chainsaw Man Ch.81

:emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat: BRUHHHHH I WASNT READY!! THEY REALLY BE KILLIN CHARACTERS OFF LEFT & RIGHT!!

**** THIS ***** MAKIMA BRUHHHHH UGHHHHHH!!!

Chainsaw Man Ch.81

:emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat: BRUHHHHH I WASNT READY!! THEY REALLY BE KILLIN CHARACTERS OFF LEFT & RIGHT!!

**** THIS ***** MAKIMA BRUHHHHH UGHHHHHH!!!
Are we sure its not all in his head? This cant be the way power goes out, right?

this arc has been wonderful, still has it's hiccups to me, but they're really going for it.

I've been half paying attention to the Manga for the last few arcs, they've been too repetitive imo. But yeah this one has been absolute fire. I honestly have no idea how things will go.

Is this really the end of Torino? What a way to go for the man who mentored 3 users of OFA. I hope that bullet doesn't get to Aizawa.

Is this really the end of Torino? What a way to go for the man who mentored 3 users of OFA. I hope that bullet doesn't get to Aizawa.
it's about time they killed someone again. i fear this is to avoid killing off eraser head tho

how old is your mom and how much other stuff is she in too
She’s 62 and generally loves crime dramas so I figured I’d introduce her the anime with Death Note.

It worked and so far she has enjoyed almost everything I recommended.The only one she strongly disliked was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which she quit watching about halfway into the first season.

Her top 3 animes are Hunter x Hunter, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventurage and Death Note, in that order.
Aside from the aforementioned, she has watched and really liked the following: (ordered by level of enjoyment)

Psycho Pass season 1
Dr Stone
Fate Zero
The Promised Neverland

it's about time they killed someone again. i fear this is to avoid killing off eraser head tho
They killed dozens of heroes when Shiggy first woke up. But maybe Torino goin down will make deku tap into some more of his latent paowers

She’s 62 and generally loves crime dramas so I figured I’d introduce her the anime with Death Note.

It worked and so far she has enjoyed almost everything I recommended.The only one she strongly disliked was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which she quit watching about halfway into the first season.

Her top 3 animes are Hunter x Hunter, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventurage and Death Note, in that order.
Aside from the aforementioned, she has watched and really liked the following: (ordered by level of enjoyment)

Psycho Pass season 1
Dr Stone
Fate Zero
The Promised Neverland
throw her re zero
its a mystery ish type

Psycho Pass season 1
Dr Stone
Fate Zero
The Promised Neverland

Have you/her seen monster or steins gate ?

Caught up with GOH excluding the fast pass chapters.

This last arc is a bit tedious of a read
yea this most recent arc is very wordy but im interested to know how you about the story.
how its written. the call backs. the flash backs. the action. the constant twist.
where you have it ranked

Psycho Pass season 1
Dr Stone
Fate Zero
The Promised Neverland
Cop Craft is a crime drama. Its good too

yea this most recent arc is very wordy but im interested to know how you about the story.
how its written. the call backs. the flash backs. the action. the constant twist.
where you have it ranked

I'll say this, I didn't go into reading it reading it to critique. Like I mentioned, I was familiar with the series and the direction it was heading since I had originally caught up when they went to Ore country and then I fell off. So I wasn't looking too critically at the writing, my bar was just is this interesting and fun to read. I had just come off reading 20th and 21st century boys too, so wanted something easy, which this definitely is. Not sure at this point where it fits into my rankings, but probably pretty high, but also not something I may be super compelled to revist.

I think the writing is solid. I think he does a really good job with the main characters , especially Mori Jin and Daewi Han, but he's a good character writer overall. They all are pretty interesting and even when you think you know them you still question what they'll do so they don't feel static or predictable, they're dynamic. For example what Mori Hui was gonna do when approached by the jade emperor. That's probably the biggest strength of the series. Now the side characters are definitely underutilized at times, but you can live with that, but they don't have the same type of depth as the main characters.

The biggest weakness is the world and overall feeling of scale of the story. The world itself has a lot of cool ideas and concepts and we know it's large in our heads with there being the human world, demon, world, and sage world, but everything feels small, especially with the advent of a world president and world government. We know these 3 worlds are big and interacting with each other with their own, but the scope of it is focused on Seoul. Basically the scale gets bigger without the scale actually getting bigger. The politics get bigger w/o actually changing or things expanding beyond 3 or 4 characters. What I mean is the powers get bigger and bigger, the number of opponents used to showcase powers are bigger but the impact is never really there. The world isn't an independent thing it's just a thing that's there and doesn't really exist outside of our main characters.

The other missed opportunity was not developing the world when expanding the story in the consolation matches with power users from other countries or when Mori Jin was stuck in the sage and demon realm. We could have seen more of the skyscraper or more of that world in general to infuse Mori Jin back into the story. However, the author succeeds in keeping things simple so trying to do more with the world may have complicated things, but I think a little bit more could have gone a long way.

I think the author keeping things fun keeps the focus off nitpicking at the story too much which is a strength. He did write himself in a corner with Mori Jin and had to deal with that by basically keeping him out of the story, same with TaeJin Jin. I get it, but it can also be frustrating. This last arc though is a lot less fun than the others so some of the flaws are coming through, it's dragging, characters are underutilized, the Mira Yoo stuff dragged on and honestly is not good at all, and basically everyone outside of Mubong did nothing for 17 years. I get the reason for the 17 year gap and what not, but it felt like things were essentially underdeveloped like oh we had to wait for X event to happen to settle anything. Also the Gen X kids are not compelling to me at all, but the concept is good. Seeing them in action, especially after Dean's debut is even more lackluster. But they could have and maybe should have dived into Mubong being human first was fine with also creating human gods who will treat other humans the same way gods treated them and even before that why he was willing to treat non-borrowers like ****, but I guess he was always fine with superiority as long as it wasn't someone superior to him. It would have helped deal with the nothing happened but Mubong doing stuff for 17 years to show that there were more than personal grievances at play here, which is another scope and scale issue. Everything is so insular.

The Mubong Mandeok flash was really well done. I think it could have been tightened up to be a bit faster though. The Taejin Jin flashback was really fun. The author does well to circle back and close up loose ends, even though at time you're like okay I guess that works I haven't gotten to a point where I'm like anything he's done is BS. I know I saw some comments claiming there's a bunch of plot holes, but I haven't seen anything flagrant. I think parts of the Mubong flashback could have been woven in earlier to give more depth to him and mandeok, there were hints for sure, but just a panel or 2 during their interactions and fights could have gone a long way maybe. Sujin's flashback was okay not that impactful. I can't think of any others.

The hint to something going on with the moon was good, but it also goes back to the world issue where they're all blending but separate. At first I was like why is this dude on the moon when he was killed in the demon realm, but then they gloss over the fact either the worlds were open to each other or they specifically came to the human world. The hint about the prophet protecting Jin or whatever during Ragnarok and coming back now executed less well. Any other big call backs I'm not thinking of? The next big hint will be Mori being able to use the 2nd half of Yeoui again now that his other powers are returning.

Overall it's a solid series. Basically all these action series, especially ones with powers have to go bigger and bigger until they fly off the rails. It's fun and exciting and keeps you wanting to read more, but for a different reason than some other series I enjoy. I think the author could find more balance he could have cut down some parts in arcs that dragged and used that space for fleshing out relationships or the world a bit just to add to the feeling and give more weight to everything. There's an interesting structure he uses where he shows a glimpse of something then will eventually rewind and show the full lead up which is cool too. This last arc could use some fat trimming and some humor as well, because it's so serious and I definitely felt myself saying okay let's hurry this up or let's settle this and get to the end or what matters, which I didn't feel in other arcs, though in the arc before this there was a bit of okay when's Mori Jin coming back.

I'll say this, I didn't go into reading it reading it to critique. Like I mentioned, I was familiar with the series and the direction it was heading since I had originally caught up when they went to Ore country and then I fell off. So I wasn't looking too critically at the writing, my bar was just is this interesting and fun to read. I had just come off reading 20th and 21st century boys too, so wanted something easy, which this definitely is. Not sure at this point where it fits into my rankings, but probably pretty high, but also not something I may be super compelled to revist.

I think the writing is solid. I think he does a really good job with the main characters , especially Mori Jin and Daewi Han, but he's a good character writer overall. They all are pretty interesting and even when you think you know them you still question what they'll do so they don't feel static or predictable, they're dynamic. For example what Mori Hui was gonna do when approached by the jade emperor. That's probably the biggest strength of the series. Now the side characters are definitely underutilized at times, but you can live with that, but they don't have the same type of depth as the main characters.

The biggest weakness is the world and overall feeling of scale of the story. The world itself has a lot of cool ideas and concepts and we know it's large in our heads with there being the human world, demon, world, and sage world, but everything feels small, especially with the advent of a world president and world government. We know these 3 worlds are big and interacting with each other with their own, but the scope of it is focused on Seoul. Basically the scale gets bigger without the scale actually getting bigger. The politics get bigger w/o actually changing or things expanding beyond 3 or 4 characters. What I mean is the powers get bigger and bigger, the number of opponents used to showcase powers are bigger but the impact is never really there. The world isn't an independent thing it's just a thing that's there and doesn't really exist outside of our main characters.

The other missed opportunity was not developing the world when expanding the story in the consolation matches with power users from other countries or when Mori Jin was stuck in the sage and demon realm. We could have seen more of the skyscraper or more of that world in general to infuse Mori Jin back into the story. However, the author succeeds in keeping things simple so trying to do more with the world may have complicated things, but I think a little bit more could have gone a long way.

I think the author keeping things fun keeps the focus off nitpicking at the story too much which is a strength. He did write himself in a corner with Mori Jin and had to deal with that by basically keeping him out of the story, same with TaeJin Jin. I get it, but it can also be frustrating. This last arc though is a lot less fun than the others so some of the flaws are coming through, it's dragging, characters are underutilized, the Mira Yoo stuff dragged on and honestly is not good at all, and basically everyone outside of Mubong did nothing for 17 years. I get the reason for the 17 year gap and what not, but it felt like things were essentially underdeveloped like oh we had to wait for X event to happen to settle anything. Also the Gen X kids are not compelling to me at all, but the concept is good. Seeing them in action, especially after Dean's debut is even more lackluster. But they could have and maybe should have dived into Mubong being human first was fine with also creating human gods who will treat other humans the same way gods treated them and even before that why he was willing to treat non-borrowers like ****, but I guess he was always fine with superiority as long as it wasn't someone superior to him. It would have helped deal with the nothing happened but Mubong doing stuff for 17 years to show that there were more than personal grievances at play here, which is another scope and scale issue. Everything is so insular.

The Mubong Mandeok flash was really well done. I think it could have been tightened up to be a bit faster though. The Taejin Jin flashback was really fun. The author does well to circle back and close up loose ends, even though at time you're like okay I guess that works I haven't gotten to a point where I'm like anything he's done is BS. I know I saw some comments claiming there's a bunch of plot holes, but I haven't seen anything flagrant. I think parts of the Mubong flashback could have been woven in earlier to give more depth to him and mandeok, there were hints for sure, but just a panel or 2 during their interactions and fights could have gone a long way maybe. Sujin's flashback was okay not that impactful. I can't think of any others.

The hint to something going on with the moon was good, but it also goes back to the world issue where they're all blending but separate. At first I was like why is this dude on the moon when he was killed in the demon realm, but then they gloss over the fact either the worlds were open to each other or they specifically came to the human world. The hint about the prophet protecting Jin or whatever during Ragnarok and coming back now executed less well. Any other big call backs I'm not thinking of? The next big hint will be Mori being able to use the 2nd half of Yeoui again now that his other powers are returning.

Overall it's a solid series. Basically all these action series, especially ones with powers have to go bigger and bigger until they fly off the rails. It's fun and exciting and keeps you wanting to read more, but for a different reason than some other series I enjoy. I think the author could find more balance he could have cut down some parts in arcs that dragged and used that space for fleshing out relationships or the world a bit just to add to the feeling and give more weight to everything. There's an interesting structure he uses where he shows a glimpse of something then will eventually rewind and show the full lead up which is cool too. This last arc could use some fat trimming and some humor as well, because it's so serious and I definitely felt myself saying okay let's hurry this up or let's settle this and get to the end or what matters, which I didn't feel in other arcs, though in the arc before this there was a bit of okay when's Mori Jin coming back.
lol you gotta give me time to read all that. ill get to it today

edit:
ok so i agree with you about 98%
i understand and do wish they wouldve explored the other countries and how those power users have been doing. or how that country utilized them the same way mujin been utilizing the GOH.

I agree he went bigger and bigger. but i feel he pulls it back down to earth after a major event. unlike other shonens where its kinda like. well we're here now. MCs get way too powerful and other sode charachters dont typically catch up.
GOH has a fairly good balance of upgeading everyone to some degree
the whole Mori Hui arc kinda did that with a great introduction to the world as u mentioned. unfortunately without diving to deep in that world.
but there are so many elements to this story. this would be one piece level world building if he did that. and thats a bit more dangerous for GOH because he has given us so many charachters that are actually important.
like you said though he wrote himself in to a corner but the HUI arc kinda helped with that

he also said in a creators note at the end of season 4 that wasnt quite how he wanted the story to go at the end. he ran into what a lot of creators do with editors trying to control the story and cut some stuff out. i believe in the blogs he was going to give us more taejin and more relationship stuff but editors wanted it cut out

this arc is dragging. mainly with the gen x kids
mandok flash bag was good. but that back and forth with him and mujin got really boring really fast

i have more to say but gotta go.

we need an NT discord or something

Last edited:
lol you gotta give me time to read all that. ill get to it today

edit:
ok so i agree with you about 98%
i understand and do wish they wouldve explored the other countries and how those power users have been doing. or how that country utilized them the same way mujin been utilizing the GOH.

I agree he went bigger and bigger. but i feel he pulls it back down to earth after a major event. unlike other shonens where its kinda like. well we're here now. MCs get way too powerful and other sode charachters dont typically catch up.
GOH has a fairly good balance of upgeading everyone to some degree
the whole Mori Hui arc kinda did that with a great introduction to the world as u mentioned. unfortunately without diving to deep in that world.
but there are so many elements to this story. this would be one piece level world building if he did that. and thats a bit more dangerous for GOH because he has given us so many charachters that are actually important.
like you said though he wrote himself in to a corner but the HUI arc kinda helped with that

he also said in a creators note at the end of season 4 that wasnt quite how he wanted the story to go at the end. he ran into what a lot of creators do with editors trying to control the story and cut some stuff out. i believe in the blogs he was going to give us more taejin and more relationship stuff but editors wanted it cut out

this arc is dragging. mainly with the gen x kids
mandok flash bag was good. but that back and forth with him and mujin got really boring really fast

i have more to say but gotta go.

we need an NT discord or something

He does a good job of scaling the side characters with the main characters and he isolates the too strong characters effectively so it doesn't seem ridiculous that they're not there. So while each arc ends with a huge event and upgrade in the power scale the next arc they have to build up to that level again rather than start there and go even more massive, which is good, except I don't love that as much for the current end game arc, but it's been fine and that part mostly has worked well.

And like you said he could have a one piece esque level of world building if he had wanted to dive into everything, but I think it would have complicated the story and this isn't a story that needs that. I think it could have used some simple moves like we saw the Skyscraper show us a bit more of that and the overall demon realm, maybe a couple interactions with the gods that will come over in ragnarok before they do since apparently they lived in and around the skyscraper? In human realm at the start of the story it seemed like only Korea knew about borrowed power when mubong goes to see the US president. After the consolation match or even before that show us actually this isn't just a korean thing other countries host tournaments as well, then you're like oh okay this is a world scale event. Then after the 17 years show us how the whole world has changed not just korea. I think a couple small things like that take it to another level of framing the scale b/c while the scale is big in your head, it doesn't feel that big when reading. It feels like this is a battle for Korea or Seoul and not this is a world scale battle. But also it is small scale cause the motive is a few friends getting revenge they just have world scale powers. He's been relying on just throwing out big numbers to show power and scale this arc.

But like you said this is a character centric story not a world centric story and that's the main issue I have with this last arc. The characters not on Mubong's side feel like they were waiting around for 17 years not being independent. The whole Mira Yoo / Daewi Han stuff was annoying because Daewi wouldn't have let that drag on for 17 years. It's not like Mori was the key to solving it. And Sujin didn't do anything for 17 years really and Ilpyo didn't start his plan till after 17 years. It's the one time really the characters don't have agency without Mori around.

Yeah Naver was definitely putting the screws to creators a couple years ago. ToG writer was getting stressed about it too. They made him take the series in a more shonen direction than he wanted and made him change a lot, so not surprised Naver got involved with GoH.

Agree he could have shortened the mandok mubong flashback a few chapters. Overall its a really well done series. Not sure where I rank it cause I don't have a ranking at the moment, but I think it'd be pretty high.

He does a good job of scaling the side characters with the main characters and he isolates the too strong characters effectively so it doesn't seem ridiculous that they're not there. So while each arc ends with a huge event and upgrade in the power scale the next arc they have to build up to that level again rather than start there and go even more massive, which is good, except I don't love that as much for the current end game arc, but it's been fine and that part mostly has worked well.

And like you said he could have a one piece esque level of world building if he had wanted to dive into everything, but I think it would have complicated the story and this isn't a story that needs that. I think it could have used some simple moves like we saw the Skyscraper show us a bit more of that and the overall demon realm, maybe a couple interactions with the gods that will come over in ragnarok before they do since apparently they lived in and around the skyscraper? In human realm at the start of the story it seemed like only Korea knew about borrowed power when mubong goes to see the US president. After the consolation match or even before that show us actually this isn't just a korean thing other countries host tournaments as well, then you're like oh okay this is a world scale event. Then after the 17 years show us how the whole world has changed not just korea. I think a couple small things like that take it to another level of framing the scale b/c while the scale is big in your head, it doesn't feel that big when reading. It feels like this is a battle for Korea or Seoul and not this is a world scale battle. But also it is small scale cause the motive is a few friends getting revenge they just have world scale powers. He's been relying on just throwing out big numbers to show power and scale this arc.

But like you said this is a character centric story not a world centric story and that's the main issue I have with this last arc. The characters not on Mubong's side feel like they were waiting around for 17 years not being independent. The whole Mira Yoo / Daewi Han stuff was annoying because Daewi wouldn't have let that drag on for 17 years. It's not like Mori was the key to solving it. And Sujin didn't do anything for 17 years really and Ilpyo didn't start his plan till after 17 years. It's the one time really the characters don't have agency without Mori around.

Yeah Naver was definitely putting the screws to creators a couple years ago. ToG writer was getting stressed about it too. They made him take the series in a more shonen direction than he wanted and made him change a lot, so not surprised Naver got involved with GoH.

Agree he could have shortened the mandok mubong flashback a few chapters. Overall its a really well done series. Not sure where I rank it cause I don't have a ranking at the moment, but I think it'd be pretty high.
so as far as "shonens" go this is def up there for me, like way up there. just from the story telling alone, Action is great too, I kinda have it tied if not better than Bleach/naruto
but that's just me personally.

so as far as "shonens" go this is def up there for me, like way up there. just from the story telling alone, Action is great too, I kinda have it tied if not better than Bleach/naruto
but that's just me personally.

I won't disagree with that at all. It's definitely way less frustrating than both of those series. I'd have it on that level or above.

Have you/her seen monster or steins gate ?
I haven’t seen Monster but I did watch Steins;Gate.
Very good advice actually, I was struggling to come up with a next anime series for her. And aside from spending time with my mom to watch and discuss anime, there’s also value in a rewatch for me. Having seen the ending, I can focus on locating instances of foreshadowing and other aspects I may have missed.

Thanks SC kid SC kid

After that I think I’ll broaden her horizons a bit further. I’m thinking of recommending Clannad and Clannad afterstory to show her that anime can also deliver a tear-jerking experience in a romantic slice of life with some comedy sprinkled on it.
Throughout both Clannad and After Story, I laughed at the comedy moments but unfortunately I didn’t experience a single other emotional response one way to the other during the serious moments, even during the most parts meant to be the most heartbreaking.

It’s because I have little to no empathy (in the sense of no emotional response during events that normally should invoke a strong negative emotion.

Unfortunately that did lower my enjoyment of the series a little. I think it’s a 9 for me now but I’d probably give it a 10 if I could partake in Clannad’s emotional rollercoaster.

Back
Top Bottom