THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
well yeah you're right, fans of the Lakers and Kobe himself will also be buying them, I was just saying IMO that most people buying them would using them on the courts because of all the technology that's being advertised about the kobe 9's and how well the previous kobes have done on the courts.

Exactly.

lol youre right, i lost sleep over that comment, i should throw my set up......... :rofl:
youre ,ad at the innercity comment yet make a comment that can be viewed as equally dumb "It's the richest black county in the United States". what?

now sit here and tell me there are more people with money than there are without money in DC and MD............ ill wait......

Yeah it's a little bit hard to believe that you're from out here and didn't know that about PG.

It's the wealthiest predominately black county in America.

I'm not from the DMV I moved out here for work a few years ago. But Maryland alone is one of wealthiest states in the country with an average income of 70k.

The guy referring to DC as a small town, had to have been being sarcastic. The DC metro area is home to a couple million people.

Although I will acknowledge that things pertaining to sneakers are very different out here, I can say that everywhere I've been it's for the most part been the same in regard to why people purchase expensive shoes.

It's pretty much always based on how good they look and rarely ever on performance.

I'm not ignorant the fact that there is a sub-culture of hoopers that are really into expensive hoop shoes and cutting edge tech.

But that is easily outnumbered by people who buy shoes because they look cool and can't wait to wear them to school or the club... Not the court.

That's why gimmicks like GITD is so popular.

There are also a large number of people who bring their shoes on the court after they've run through them with casual wear.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a kid come to the gym and kick off a fresh pair of foams for a beat pair of foams to play in

Lastly not even every serious hooper is in to the top of the line high tech basketball shoe.

I see more $80-$140 shoes on the court than anything.

Nobody is qualified to tell another man how it is their area.

but as far as popular fashion trends go, it doesn't matter what you saw at your gym. The world outside the gym is trying to look fresh.

That's why Lebrons bring in $300m and Melo is at like $25m. Melo's are for the hoopers and Brons are for everybody.

This is the picture that started this and the demographic I was referring to. Not people who could only afford 1 pair a year or folks in China. You guys took the conversation to places it wasn't intended to go trying to sound smart and argue. Go back and read champ.
How you've somehow flipped "most basketball shoes aren't bought for basketball" to "rich white guys who wear jeggings, and snapbacks don't ball in their shoes" is absolutely amazing.

How you've somehow flipped "most basketball shoes aren't bought for basketball" to "rich white guys who wear jeggings, and snapbacks don't ball in their shoes" is absolutely amazing.

Pretty sure that kid is Asian lol.

2nd I think he's referring to that being the new demographic of people into basketball shoes.

Not dudes in tear aways, Dri-fit tees and shooting sleeves.

It's not because of marketing?(Nike and other brands, beats, powerade, etc) Better design? More established player?

That's a good point.

But how many people have you heard refer to Melos entire line being ugly?

They're focused on how good it looks, winning a ring won't change that.

Performance on the brons has been better too IMO, but this year Melo is finally getting some premium tech.

Performance on the brons has been better too IMO, but this year Melo is finally getting some premium tech.

This years Melo looks a lot better too.

But I still don't see it changing peoples perspective for the most part.

They would have to play with availability to avoid them going on clearance in such large numbers like the M10.

The hoopers aren't enough to make that line as successful as some of the others.

Yeah it's a little bit hard to believe that you're from out here and didn't know that about PG.

It's the wealthiest predominately black county in America.

I'm not from the DMV I moved out here for work a few years ago. But Maryland alone is one of wealthiest states in the country with an average income of 70k.

The guy referring to DC as a small town, had to have been being sarcastic. The DC metro area is home to a couple million people.

Although I will acknowledge that things pertaining to sneakers are very different out here, I can say that everywhere I've been it's for the most part been the same in regard to why people purchase expensive shoes.

It's pretty much always based on how good they look and rarely ever on performance.

I'm not ignorant the fact that there is a sub-culture of hoopers that are really into expensive hoop shoes and cutting edge tech.

But that is easily outnumbered by people who buy shoes because they look cool and can't wait to wear them to school or the club... Not the court.

That's why gimmicks like GITD is so popular.

There are also a large number of people who bring their shoes on the court after they've run through them with casual wear.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a kid come to the gym and kick off a fresh pair of foams for a beat pair of foams to play in

Lastly not even every serious hooper is in to the top of the line high tech basketball shoe.

I see more $80-$140 shoes on the court than anything.

Nobody is qualified to tell another man how it is their area.

but as far as popular fashion trends go, it doesn't matter what you saw at your gym. The world outside the gym is trying to look fresh.

That's why Lebrons bring in $300m and Melo is at like $25m. Melo's are for the hoopers and Brons are for everybody.
But that lebron 300 million factors in the Sig line, the elite line, lebron sandals, the solider line,and Lebrons china exclusive line. And Melos 35 million is just his Sig. But your point is still right that the majority of people buy for causal use.

This years Melo looks a lot better too.

But I still don't see it changing peoples perspective for the most part.

They would have to play with availability to avoid them going on clearance in such large numbers like the M10.

The hoopers aren't enough to make that line as successful as some of the others.
Yeah, but he's only being outsold by lebron and Kobe. So being the third Sig line behind those two is great.

You assume this guy is rich? Most people I KNOW. IN MY EXPERIENCE who aren't rich don't buy shoes for basketball. You assume this guy is rich to try and prove me wrong? I didn't take into account how much he made. Smh

Last edited:
Yeah, but he's only being outsold by lebron and Kobe. So being the third Sig line behind those two is great.

Another good point.

The numbers show KD and Melo neck and neck.

But at the time the KD 4 was going for $90 I believe? I'm not sure what the M8 was going for but it would be interesting to see how many units were actually moved.

yeah it is true that more people these days buy sneakers from a purely aesthetics standpoint, but as far as the kobe 9's are concerned i feel that more people are going to be purchasing them for ball. Other people would rather drop $200-$250 dollars on some lebron 11's or foams.

That's a good point.

But how many people have you heard refer to Melos entire line being ugly?

They're focused on how good it looks, winning a ring won't change that.
Now that I agree with. Melo line is garbage, coupled with the Knicks being nothing short of pure garbage....

I don't see this shoe sitting at all. In this era they will sellout day 1. 5 CWs and limited availability. The resellers and beast will be all over em.

Bron just won 2 chips, melo....... Plays for the biggest flop in the NBA (arguable). Think that's why.....

Today at this very moment this is true.

But when has Melo shoe ever been hot?

Brons have been going hard since the 7, some might argue even before that(I wouldn't)

melo is outselling KD's? im not sure about that one. but i could be wrong.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...bron-james-is-the-nbas-leading-shoe-salesmen/

As of June 10, 2013
U.S. Retail Basketball Shoe Sales

LeBron James (Nike): $300 million

Kobe Bryant (Nike): $50 million

Carmelo Anthony (Jordan): $40 million

Kevin Durant (Nike): $35 million

Derrick Rose (Adidas): $25 million

John Wall (Reebok): $5 million

Dwight Howard (Adidas): $5 million

So the new figures for the current Sigs will be out this upcoming summer so KD could get the third spot since Melo's sig doesnt drop till January and KDs has been out since July

Last edited:
Today at this very moment this is true.

But when has Melo shoe ever been hot?

Brons have been going hard since the 7, some might argue even before that(I wouldn't)
Not since the Jordan 2 Denver colorway lol, which really doesn't even count. To answer your question NEVER, but to be fair lebron 1-7 weren't "hot" either. Not till the SB8 did the line get the star treatment and really sold out. Melo being a JB member also kills it for him. I can't name 1 JB sig worth the retail price (not talking jordan line) or hyped.

Last edited:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...bron-james-is-the-nbas-leading-shoe-salesmen/

As of June 10, 2013

So the new figures for the current Sigs will be out this upcoming summer so KD could get the third spot since Melo's sig doesnt drop till January and KDs has been out since July

thanks man good info. their so close, melo and KD.

As of June 10, 2013

This is not as of 6/10/13

That's when the article was posted

But the numbers reflect all of 2012.

LeBron has also been hailed as the next great thing in all sports, not just basketball. Marketing for him is through the roof in comparison to Melo.

Many things factor into sales, but I haven't seen one single person rocking sigs around my way for anything other than basketball. Granted , that is an extremely small sample size so I can't speak on behalf of worldwide sales and trends, just my two cents.

Basically unless you have concrete numbers for usage and purpose or sneakers, this argument won't be anything more than some justified and mostly speculative opinions...

This is not as of 6/10/13

That's when the article was posted

But the numbers reflect all of 2012.

My fault fam, I kind of thought that went without saying since you can't look at sale numbers till the end of the year.

But I almost forgot this was a Kobe thread.

Back to the 9s, interested to see what the others will look like.

Back
Top Bottom