The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by AJChick23

I have a feeling that after I cop this MBP very soon...a new line will pop up..BUT..I won't be jealous..cuz I'll still have a mac.
pimp.gif
no reason to be jealous...I have the black macbook from 2.5 years ago and seen a few new lines come and go and still not eager to get rid of minefor a new one.

Originally Posted by RetroMan23

i currently have an 27inch but its not a quad core, is it possible to upgrade it to that????????
You could, but it would cost more money for a new board and CPU unit which automatically would void your warranty. If you had your iMac for lessthan the return deadline, I say exchange it. But if not, what are you really going to use the Quad-core iMac for? If you are into heavy use in photography,graphic design, video editing, and music. Then try to sell it and pay the difference. If not, the Core 2 Duo is still pretty fast to handle that workload. Especially with the ram standing at 4GB, you could upgrade that up to 16GB if you need more juice.

I have the Core 2 Duo 27" and it's works for everything I need it to do. Everyone was warning me to "future-proof" my iMac by purchasing ai5/i7 quadcore, but the c2d fit my budget and if I really needed to upgrade to quad, then I'd by a new iMac.

quick question,

When I try changing the dock icons, it doesn't load the new icon, it give me a paper with a "png" on it. I've changed some icons in the pastsuccessfully before, but now I dont know whats going on. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Originally Posted by houstonsnk

Originally Posted by gil23

why cant i see smilies and the quoting is weird compare to winndows( new macbook by the way)

Yea I had to get use to that too.

Change your settings to bbcode and you will be good to go.

edit... all i had to do was just read a couple pages back... should i cop 2 MB pros or a get a imac and a MB pro?

Originally Posted by RedMan

Originally Posted by gil23

why cant i see smilies and the quoting is weird compare to winndows( new macbook by the way)

Yea I had to get use to that too.

Change your settings to bbcode and you will be good to go.

so do i go to system preferences?

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

My mac will randomly go into sleep while Im using it. This will happen (usually) twice, immediately after each other, at random times. Its getting extremely annoying and I have no idea how to help fix it. Apparently its a connector/sleep switch that needs to be fixed, but Im in the middle of finals so I cant take it in yet. Any ideas to help the problem?

Also, i have moshi palmguard on my laptop, would I have to take it off before goin to apple?
I had the same problem back in May. I just took it into the Apple repair spot at my school and they got it back to me the next day. He said they weren't busy that week so maybe that's why it was so fast.
pimp.gif
Good looks man. Now I just gotta decide if I need to takeoff this Moshi stuff
frown.gif

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

edit... all i had to do was just read a couple pages back... should i cop 2 MB pros or a get a imac and a MB pro?
Well what do you need them for and what will you use them for? It comes down to portability. I don't really understand the logic of owning atwo MBP's. Unless one of them was a previous model. If you need something portable and a work horse, I definitely would suggest that you go with the i5Quad core iMac and a 13" MBP. The benchmark on the i5 is really, really, good. If your budget cannot reachthat, the Core 2 Duo is also a solid machine as well. In regards to the MBP, try to hold off on them at the moment. Rumors are swirling that the new QuadMBP's may arrive early 2010. If you need a portable CPU to bring around, what about Hackintoshing a Dell Mini 10v? That may be my next project instead ofbuying a used MB.

How do you get a background with weather ect like Chris did? Its
pimp.gif

pretty sure he is using geektool
anyone got a CPU usage script for geektool? I cannot find one that works.
here is mine. its still a work in progress and please excuse the size
4165047060_2447ed6bd7_o.png

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Well what do you need them for and what will you use them for? It comes down to portability. I don't really understand the logic of owning a two MBP's. Unless one of them was a previous model. If you need something portable and a work horse, I definitely would suggest that you go with the i5 Quad core iMac and a 13" MBP. The benchmark on the i5 is really, really, good. If your budget cannot reach that, the Core 2 Duo is also a solid machine as well. In regards to the MBP, try to hold off on them at the moment. Rumors are swirling that the new Quad MBP's may arrive early 2010. If you need a portable CPU to bring around, what about Hackintoshing a Dell Mini 10v? That may be my next project instead of buying a used MB.
i was gonna use the comps for home use.... dont the i5 quad core only come with the 27inch screen?.. that thing looks too big...

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Well what do you need them for and what will you use them for? It comes down to portability. I don't really understand the logic of owning a two MBP's. Unless one of them was a previous model. If you need something portable and a work horse, I definitely would suggest that you go with the i5 Quad core iMac and a 13" MBP. The benchmark on the i5 is really, really, good. If your budget cannot reach that, the Core 2 Duo is also a solid machine as well. In regards to the MBP, try to hold off on them at the moment. Rumors are swirling that the new Quad MBP's may arrive early 2010. If you need a portable CPU to bring around, what about Hackintoshing a Dell Mini 10v? That may be my next project instead of buying a used MB.
i was gonna use the comps for home use.... dont the i5 quad core only come with the 27inch screen?.. that thing looks too big...
I have a a 27" and at first I thought the screen was huge, but I got used to the screen right away. A lot of room for photo work and somevideo work in my instance. Yes the Quad core only comes with the 27" model...But if you wait by beginning of January, MBP's should probably have anupdate with quad core processors. But it's really on how you work, if you need two MBP's then go for it.

would i really need a quad core just for internet, music and messing around with a little photo and video??

Back
Top Bottom