The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

screenele.png

Noob question- I'm about to jump on a MBP. Is now a good time or should I wait until the new one drops. (drop date?)

Anyone have the Airport Extreme? The router I have right now is frustrating the hell out of me, connection comes and goes a lot. Everyone in the crib is on Macs also.

I got a problem with my macbook pro and I'm wondering if anyone could help me.

I used it at school yesterday and everything was working fine, but my battery was down to 5% so I shut the laptop down. When I got home the battery was dead so I plugged it in to charge and turned it on. When it did
turn on my desktop background didn't show up instead I get a plain blue background and the icons that I had on the desktop are gone and I can't get any picture to set as my background. I right click on an image the way I did before and hit "use image as background picture" but it doesn't work.

Anybody experience this problem or know what the problem is?
Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Noob question- I'm about to jump on a MBP. Is now a good time or should I wait until the new one drops. (drop date?)

The Sandy Bridge updates are coming soon and the Lion OSX is dropping this summer. I'm holding out for both.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Anyone have the Airport Extreme? The router I have right now is frustrating the hell out of me, connection comes and goes a lot. Everyone in the crib is on Macs also.
I have one, but outside of the aesthetics is does nothing that any other dual band N router can't do. You could save $100 going with a Linksys E2000. 

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

I have one, but outside of the aesthetics is does nothing that any other dual band N router can't do. You could save $100 going with a Linksys E2000. 

[h3]New MacBook Pros Likely to Launch on Thursday, February 24th[/h3]
165825-macbook_pro_2010_lineup.jpg
Apple last updated the MacBook Pros almost one year ago with Intel's Core i5 and i7 processors. Apple has been due to refresh the MacBook Pros with the latest Intel Sandy Bridge processors which are said to be a significant improvement over last year's processors.

MacBook Pro stock has been dwindling internationally and this morning two Italian sites listed give new MacBook Pro part numbers (MC720, MC721, MC723, MC724, and MC725) that are said to represent the new updates. The new machines are said to be making their way to Italian resellers towards the end of the month with a released date of Thursday or Friday.

We've since heard reliable confirmation that this information is accurate and that the expected release date is next Thursday, February 24th. The move would be a bit unusual for Apple to launch new machines on a Thursday. So, if you are about to buy a new MacBook Pro, wait until next week.

So I bought a Mini DVI to HDMI adapter with 6 foot HDMI cable and a Mini DVI to HDMI adapter for my macbook pro so I can hook it up to my TV.. This isn't the right cord though it isn't compatible with the mac which cord should I actually get or is there an adapter that I can buy to make this work?

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Nothing that big on the new MBP's although I'm curious, how much faster the i3 is then the core2 duo....

Its an i5 I believe that will be on the lowest model. So it should be a pretty decent change in raw power.

Originally Posted by CuteUglyhaha

Im glad had my macbook pro for a year and the new model look the same
smile.gif
As long as your MBP is being used for your needs. That's all that matters. I bought my iMac when the "27 Core 2 Duo version first released and I love it today.

While not all the rumors leading up to the launch were true, many of the last minute leaks were accurate, and Apple still managed to sneak in a few surprises. 

Apple launched the new MacBook Pros this morning after much anticipation. For the first time ever, Apple has included Quad Core CPUs into their notebooks. The 15" and 17" models offer Quad Core CPUs using the Intel 2.2GHz Quad Core 2720QM and 2.0GHz Quad Core 2630QM. While many applications may not take advantage of all 4 cores, these new Sandy Bridge processors include Intel's Turbo Boost 2.0, which should increase the speed of the remaining cores when the others are underutilized.
Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.
The maximum Turbo clock speeds for the 2720QM and 2630QM are 3.2GHz and 2.9GHz respectively. 

090815-lion.jpg

Apple has also introduced a hybrid Thunderbolt/mini Display port on the new MacBook Pros. This represents Intel's Light Peak technology which is said to offer high speed connections and is expected to replace the need for USB 3.0. We expect to hear more about it this afternoon at Intel's press conference. From Apple's PR:
“Thunderbolt is a revolutionary new I/O technology that delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second and can support every important I/O standard which is ideal for the new MacBook Pro.

085118-mac_os_x_lion_mission_control_500.jpg

Alongside new MacBook Pros, Apple today announced the release of the first developer preview version of Mac OS X Lion. First demoed last October, Mac OS X Lion is set for a public launch this summer.
Apple today released a developer preview of Mac OS X Lion, which takes some of the best ideas from iPad and brings them back to the Mac for the eighth major release of the world's most advanced operating system. Lion features Mission Control, an innovative new view of everything running on your Mac; Launchpad, a new home for all your Mac apps; full screen apps that use the entire Mac display; and new Multi-Touch gestures. Lion also includes the Mac App Store, the best place to discover, install and automatically update Mac apps. The Lion preview is available to Mac Developer Program members through the Mac App Store today, and the final version of Lion will ship to customers this summer.
Apple also outlines a number of other features to be found in Lion:
091845-mail.jpg

Mail, a new version of Mail, with an elegant, widescreen layout inspired by the iPad; Conversations, which automatically groups related messages into one easy to read timeline; more powerful search; and support for Microsoft Exchange 2010;
091159-versions.jpg

Versions, which automatically saves successive versions of your document as you create it, and gives you an easy way to browse, edit and even revert to previous versions; 
091702-airdrop.jpg

AirDrop, a remarkably simple way to copy files wirelessly from one Mac to another with no setup;
Resume, which conveniently brings your apps back exactly how you left them when you restart your Mac or quit and relaunch an app; 
Auto Save, which automatically saves your documents as you work;
- the all new FileVault, that provides high performance full disk encryption for local and external drives, and the ability to wipe data from your Mac instantaneously; and 
Mac OS X Lion Server, which makes setting up a server easier than ever and adds support for managing Mac OS X Lion, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.

An updated overview of Mac OS X Lion is available on Apple's feature page for the forthcoming update.

Update: Here are some additional features we've learned:

- In 10.7, windows may be resized from all edges and corners, and the resize indicator has been removed.
- Support for OpenGL 3.2 on capable hardware.
- Application persistance. Apps and their states are saved when you logout and back in. Background apps may be terminated by Mac OS X and will restore if the user picks them again. Basically the concept of open and closed apps is gone.

080518-mzl.zhbwufzw.800x500-75_500.jpg

Apple has launched the FaceTime for Mac App on the Mac App Store for $0.99:
FaceTime for Mac makes it easy to talk, smile and laugh with friends and family on their iPhone 4, iPod touch or Mac. Getting started is quick and easy -- simply enter your Apple ID and you're ready to go. Whether you're talking to someone on an iPhone or on another Mac, video calls with FaceTime look great. There's no better way to stay in touch with all your favorite faces.
The app was in public beta before this, but with the imminent launch of the new MacBook Pros, Apple has launched version 1.0. New MacBook Pro owners will get FaceTime pre-installed. This download appears to be for existing Mac customers.

now I'm mad, the base model getting the i5, last time they said they aint doing it because of the battery life...oh well...oh just saw, battery life did go down, interesting decision.

pretty big updates for the high end models. Quad core.

Does the Lion come as a free update for those mbp's that have snow leopard?

Originally Posted by nocomment6

now I'm mad, the base model getting the i5, last time they said they aint doing it because of the battery life...oh well...oh just saw, battery life did go down, interesting decision.

pretty big updates for the high end models. Quad core.

Does the Lion come as a free update for those mbp's that have snow leopard?
we won't know until this summer, but i don't see that happening. Snow Leopard was an incremental update; Lion looks to be a UI overhaul. Either way, it can always be had for free...

Not like i don't ever swap out the hard drives anyway, but 5400 RPM drives STILL on these premium computers 
bf735dbee8a89af3a1092cdfe356a8fb4af9a4b.gif

I'm gonna get the 17" base model most likely

ok i just checked on apple and i see a refurbished 15 inch from last year that looks lucrative
nerd.gif

is this thunderbolt port really important ?

Originally Posted by CuteUglyhaha

^^^ to replace USB 3.0, didn't even know USB 3.0 came out
30t6p3b.gif

Dont worry their are very few things that really support usb 3.0 right now I think the only real devices are external HDs. I think there is a usb 3.0 to thunderbolt adapter in the works or something but thunderbolt is twice as fast as usb 3.0. They are saying that the new iPad will have thunderbolt connection which leads me to thinking so will the new iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom