The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Quick question. Has anybody ever run FCP off a mac mini? I can get a 2.4ghz 8gb ram for pretty cheap. Wondering if anyone has ever tried this or if it is a good idea or not?

Originally Posted by CuteUglyhaha

Im glad had my macbook pro for a year and the new model look the same
smile.gif
I got the mid-2009 ones and pretty much no difference it seems looks wise. Mine came with only 2gb of ram and 160gb stock though
sick.gif

my mom wants a macbook so she said she'll buy me the new one that was announced today and i give her my 09
pimp.gif

i need some advice.. i'm debating between the 13" i5 and the 15" w/ i7... how big of a difference is there within the graphics card? i'll be using it for the next 2 years doing heavy video/photo editing.

is the different between an i5 2.7 duo core and i7 2.0 quad-core that big?

thanks guys

Had an 09 13 Inch MBP that was giving me problems, had applecare so they exchanged it for a the current model (spring 10). This was a couple weeks ago. Gave the 13 inch which is practically brand new to my dad and just copped the 15 today. Really nice. Sort of wanted to res upgrade on the screen but ended up going with the base one in store.

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

i need some advice.. i'm debating between the 13" i5 and the 15" w/ i7... how big of a difference is there within the graphics card? i'll be using it for the next 2 years doing heavy video/photo editing.

thanks guys

Yep there is a significant difference between the i5 and i7, especially if your gonna do heavy video editing get the i7. The '13 has a great graphics browser from intel, but the AMD/ATI graphics card in the 15 inch is straight horsepower performance and wil chew through any graphics intensive program that heavily rely on a graphic chip.

dual=2 brains
quad=4 brains

yes big difference the more brains you have the less time you'll have to complete any project or task.

my sister just bought the '13 core 2 duo last week base model, best believe were going back to switch it out for the newer models.

Not like i don't ever swap out the hard drives anyway, but 5400 RPM drives STILL on these premium computers
I'm gonna get the 17" base model most likely

hope you know the speed(spinning) don't mean much at 7200 rpm speeds things can get really hot if the laptop is not configure with the right cooling properties, ill stick to 5400rpm or a hybrid ssd/hdd. Its all about gbps when it comes to hardrives, apple uses hi-grade hdd.

Lion will not come free, but it will proably be $29.00 just like the snow leopard upgrade disk and you can use it multiple times.

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

thanks guys
Big difference 15" has a separate graphics card, while the 13 has a built in one. Theres a noticeable gap. And the quad CPU can do the thinking a lot faster. If you have the cash, its worth it. 

-No HDMI? 
laugh.gif

-No Blu-ray?
laugh.gif

-Decreased battery life? 
laugh.gif

-1280x800 in 13' still? 
laugh.gif

Apple knows what the !@#$ they are doing. They'll implement a little at a time to maximize sales and profits. 

^ The resolution in the 13 is inexcusable. I feel like within a year or so, the MB Air will take over the 13 inch position and well be back to 15/17 pros only.

Battery life isnt decreased, its the same but Apple changed their testing methods and thus the numbers changed to.

As for HDMI/Blu Ray..... thats just not going to happen. Period.

I expect them to milk this design further until next year. Next update will coincide with the release of Lion and be a marginal upgrade, and then this time next year well have a full redesign with the Retina monitors.

Thats just my guess.

Alchemist IQ wrote:

Not like i don't ever swap out the hard drives anyway, but 5400 RPM drives STILL on these premium computers
I'm gonna get the 17" base model most likely

hope you know the speed(spinning) don't mean much at 7200 rpm speeds things can get really hot if the laptop is not configure with the right cooling properties, ill stick to 5400rpm or a hybrid ssd/hdd. Its all about gbps when it comes to hardrives, apple uses hi-grade hdd.

We aren't talking about 10K-12KRPM drives vs 5400RPM. Those would be subject to a more stringent cost benefit analysis. Plus, there are plenty of 7200 RPM drives out there that use up less power that typical 5400 RPM drives. I'm just saying they stay giving us budget parts and incremental updates. 7200RPM drives should be standard now.

Damn I was hoping for a new body but I can't wait another year to get a new laptop. This will be my first Mac. 
30t6p3b.gif
at them for charging $1,100 for a 512 GB SSD though 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by zube42

Damn I was hoping for a new body but I can't wait another year to get a new laptop. This will be my first Mac. 
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
maybe $100 over/under marke price depending on the retailer, but that's about going rate. SSD tech is getting better and faling in price. In about 2/3 years i see the current capacities falling to more feasible levels for the everyday consumer 

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
maybe $100 over/under marke price depending on the retailer, but that's about going rate. SSD tech is getting better and faling in price. In about 2/3 years i see the current capacities falling to more feasible levels for the everyday consumer 
Seagate sells 500 GB SSD's for just $160, totally compatible with Mac OS too.

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
Link it up or tales of duck. 

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
The Momentus? Those are 7200RPM drives. The Toshiba 512Gb that apple uses is more in the 10K-12K range

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It's on Seagate's website.

Link

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Yo link that!! thats a steal 500gb SSD
Hope your not talking about the hybrid joints too, those are having problems from what read with macbooks.

I don't know why yall bashing apple for not using 900 pixel on 13 inch

Some pc makers are still out putting 756p joints, I got my 2008 macbook pro 13 and the display is still beats the competition on PC laptops. They did say something about lion will support retina displays in the future maybe they holding out.

Momentus XT hybrid drive causing headaches, Seagate working to fix
By Sean Hollister posted Feb 20th 2011 at 5:01PM

All's not well in hybrid solid state storage land, as owners of Seagate's Momentus XT are facing serious issues with their drives -- despite glowing initial reviews, a number of long-term users claim that the drives chirp, crash, stutter, and freeze with alarming regularity, particularly when installed in a Mac. Seagate forumgoers speculate these are symptoms of the XT's magnetic platters spinning down inappropriately, due to an overzealous power management scheme. That's the bad news -- and it sounds pretty bad -- but the good news is this: Seagate's owning up to the issues, and is actively involved in getting them fixed. So far, a pair of new firmware updates have addressed some symptoms, a third is on the way, and a Seagate engineer known only as STX_NB is proactively chatting with affected customers about possible fixes. That's what we call technical support -- take notes, tech companies.

Zube that is a hybrid hdd/ssd, ill get it but let seagate work out the kinks.

500gb ssd goes for "Porsche money"
grin.gif

Been waiting since xmas to pull the trigger on a new MBP

JUST copped a 15in. Added 750gb HDD w/Hi-res screen upgrade
pimp.gif

Wanted to cop the SSDs but a grand extra? The hell outta here with that price Apple. Shame on you. I know this time next year the SSD will be standard and I will be sad that I bit the dust but w/e I needed a new macbook.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by CaptinStabbin

Been waiting since xmas to pull the trigger on a new MBP

JUST copped a 15in. Added 750gb HDD w/Hi-res screen upgrade
pimp.gif

Wanted to cop the SSDs but a grand extra? The hell outta here with that price Apple. Shame on you. I know this time next year the SSD will be standard and I will be sad that I bit the dust but w/e I needed a new macbook.

-The Juice
nice.  what convinced you to get the Hi-res screen? You going to be editing photos or making artwork?

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

^ The resolution in the 13 is inexcusable. I feel like within a year or so, the MB Air will take over the 13 inch position and well be back to 15/17 pros only.

Battery life isnt decreased, its the same but Apple changed their testing methods and thus the numbers changed to.

As for HDMI/Blu Ray..... thats just not going to happen. Period.

I expect them to milk this design further until next year. Next update will coincide with the release of Lion and be a marginal upgrade, and then this time next year well have a full redesign with the Retina monitors.

Thats just my guess.
Interesting thoughts, although I'm pretty curious if the optical drive will be available in any of the MBP's....it isnt too necessary to be honest.
Retina display would be wicked. I 'm also guessing apple has to come out with some kind of new battery technology.

I just bought a used 2008 aluminum unibody macbook 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive (macbook 5,1) for $500 smh.. shoulda talked dude down lol but is there anything that i should know or some apps or widgets that i definately need to download now that im on team macbook ? lol

Back
Top Bottom