The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by PO2345

I'm on 180 cycles on my Late 2007/Early 2008 Macbook Model & I already have the service battery signal. It cannot hold a battery for %!++.

I'm glad I use this as a stationary unit now, with it always being plugged in, so it's not a problem. Regardless, it's ridiculous.

PO
did you normally let the battery drain to zero before plugging it in or did you always have it plugged in when using it?

Originally Posted by classic

I'm on 180 cycles on my Late 2007/Early 2008 Macbook Model & I already have the service battery signal. It cannot hold a battery for %!++.

I'm glad I use this as a stationary unit now, with it always being plugged in, so it's not a problem. Regardless, it's ridiculous.

PO
did you normally let the battery drain to zero before plugging it in or did you always have it plugged in when using it?

When i first purchased it, I let it drain to zero a few times, but after that kept it plugged in, unless I took it to my bedroom,etc.

PO

how much do y'all think i could get for a late 08 MBP, 2.4GHz intel c2d with 2 GB ram

optical drive doesn't work, and battery ballooned up so not using it.

HDD will be wiped clean, i believe it's 250GB HDD

Does anyone know in particular if apple replaces macbook's after a number of repairs?

I've been in and out of apple stores for the last two months and this is getting irritating/

The first time I went in, there was a hard drive issue. They replaced the hard drive.
Second time I went in, the panel (that houses the keyboard) popped up on the side.
Third time, the panel popped up again, this time by the touch pad.
Fourth time, the panel popped up again by the power button.
Now the panel popped up again by touch pad... again.

I have an appointment on friday, would any of you guys know if they could just replace my macbook with one of the newer ones? Or if there is anything I should ask for since they keep messing my macbook up? It's been pain in the as. to drive back and forth since the closest apple store is 35 miles away.

I have an 08 macbook and apple care until september this year.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

i have at 871 cylces
laugh.gif

ive got 877 in 2 years of use
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ll K R E A M 15 ll

is 800 a good deal for this

Specs:
2GB RAM - 500GB SSD/HD Laptop with Hardcase, Magic Mouse, and Loads of Software
Description
This listing is for a New 13" Apple MacBook 2.4GHz 2GB RAM upgraded with Seagate 500GB MOMENTUS XT w/HYBRID SSD DRIVE
• 10X faster than normal drive!
• This computer has been upgraded.
• The hard drive comes with a 5-year warranty from Seagate.
• The rest of the computer is covered by a one-year warranty from Apple.
Technical Specifications
• 13.3-inch LED-backlit, glossy widescreen display with a widescreen resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels
• 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
• 500 GB 7200-rpm MOMENTUS XT w/HYBRID SSD DRIVE
• 2 GB installed RAM (1066 MHz DDR3)
• NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor (with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory)
• 8x slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer DVD support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Built-in iSight camera
• Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on 802.11n specification; 802.11a/b/g compatible)
• Gigabit Ethernet wired networking (10/100/1000BASE-T
• Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
• Two USB 2.0 ports
• Mini DisplayPort video output
• Built-in stereo speakers
• Built-in omnidirectional microphone
• Combined digital output/headphone output (also includes line-in/microphone jack)
• Up to 10 hours of continuous use with 63.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
• Dimensions: 13 x 9.12 x 1.08 inches (WxDxH)
• Weight: 4.7 pounds
What's Included
• New 13" Apple MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6 and iLife '11 Completely Updated
• 60W MagSafe Power Adapter
• AC Wall Plug and Power Cord
• Software DVDs
• Printed and Electronic Documentation
• Speck MacBook 13

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

Does anyone know in particular if apple replaces macbook's after a number of repairs?

I've been in and out of apple stores for the last two months and this is getting irritating/

The first time I went in, there was a hard drive issue. They replaced the hard drive.
Second time I went in, the panel (that houses the keyboard) popped up on the side.
Third time, the panel popped up again, this time by the touch pad.
Fourth time, the panel popped up again by the power button.
Now the panel popped up again by touch pad... again.

I have an appointment on friday, would any of you guys know if they could just replace my macbook with one of the newer ones? Or if there is anything I should ask for since they keep messing my macbook up? It's been pain in the as. to drive back and forth since the closest apple store is 35 miles away.

I have an 08 macbook and apple care until september this year.

Thanks for the help.
They normally replace on the fourth major issue.  Your problems dont classify as major.  If the logic board continually fails or the screen then thats a major issue.  It sounds like there is a case fitment issue.  If I were you I would demand that case be replaced.  I've heard that if you have the 3 year applecare they are more willing to replace items or do major services.
As for everyone with the battery stuff Apple's official policy is that they will replace a battery if its under 300 cycles and drops below 80% charge capacity.  If you're above 300 cycles then you're out of luck as far as getting a replacement goes. Apple considers it a consumable product so if you consume those 300 cycles then you've used it up and there is no warranty associated.  I've learned this the hard way.

i messed around and hid the menubar on my mac, it only shows when i hover over it. anyone know how to undo this?

Originally Posted by pchen83

i messed around and hid the menubar on my mac, it only shows when i hover over it. anyone know how to undo this?

system prefrences > dock > unselect automatically show and hide the dock

Originally Posted by AusZero

Originally Posted by pchen83

system prefrences > dock > unselect automatically show and hide the dock

Originally Posted by classic

PO

When i first purchased it, I let it drain to zero a few times, but after that kept it plugged in, unless I took it to my bedroom,etc.

PO
That'll kill it ya big dummy.

Wassup NT I got a quick question I have an old white Macbook and I plan on buying a new Macbook Pro.... So my question is how do I get my current macbook back to stock so I can give it to someone else like when it first comes out the box stock....

I also want to take off all my music and videos off of my current Mac and put it on my Pro... Is there a way to do that besides buying a hard-drive?

thanks

Just ordered a 15" MPB along with the Incase backpack and Incase neoprene sleeve...excited for everything to arrive. Switching over from a PC so I'm sure it'll take some time to get adjusted.

anybody know if its possible to get the cnn news ticker like the espn ticker that was posted early on in this thread?

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

Wassup NT I got a quick question I have an old white Macbook and I plan on buying a new Macbook Pro.... So my question is how do I get my current macbook back to stock so I can give it to someone else like when it first comes out the box stock....

I also want to take off all my music and videos off of my current Mac and put it on my Pro... Is there a way to do that besides buying a hard-drive?

thanks

you have a few options. You can clone your hard drive, do an archive and re-install, or use the Migration Assistant to copy your old files to your new computer. The last option doesnt reqire you to have an external hard drive.
If you want to wipe the HD on the old mac before you sell it, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910?viewlocale=en_US

Originally Posted by hellaones

anybody know if its possible to get the cnn news ticker like the espn ticker that was posted early on in this thread?
CNN doesnt have a dedicated desktop widget compatible with the OSX platform, but you can use yahoo's widget or set up a custom RSS feed with Geek tool

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

thanks

you have a few options. You can clone your hard drive, do an archive and re-install, or use the Migration Assistant to copy your old files to your new computer. The last option doesnt reqire you to have an external hard drive.
If you want to wipe the HD on the old mac before you sell it, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910?viewlocale=en_US
thanks

Originally Posted by AusZero

As for everyone with the battery stuff Apple's official policy is that they will replace a battery if its under 300 cycles and drops below 80% charge capacity.  If you're above 300 cycles then you're out of luck as far as getting a replacement goes. Apple considers it a consumable product so if you consume those 300 cycles then you've used it up and there is no warranty associated.  I've learned this the hard way.
According to Coconut Battery I have 274 load cycles, and my battery is 75% max charge capacity. How would I go about getting my battery replaced?

just got my brand new 15 inch 2011 macbook pro loving it so far... plan on swapping the hard drive for a 1 tb and upgrade this ram to 8gb real soon

just got my brand new 15 inch 2011 macbook pro loving it so far... plan on swapping the hard drive for a 1 tb and upgrade this ram to 8gb real soon

Im getting my new Macbook Pro tomorrow! I cant wait, going to do the same JayzOnMyToes, but im going the SSD route instead.

aside from ram being really cheap, what are you going to use 8GB of ram for?

OS X is really good with ram, 8GB is overkill.

SSD upgrade > ram upgrade, unless you're running virtual machines.. then i can understand wanting 8GB of ram

Back
Top Bottom