The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by Fresh Prince of Nowhere

Originally Posted by AusZero

As for everyone with the battery stuff Apple's official policy is that they will replace a battery if its under 300 cycles and drops below 80% charge capacity.  If you're above 300 cycles then you're out of luck as far as getting a replacement goes. Apple considers it a consumable product so if you consume those 300 cycles then you've used it up and there is no warranty associated.  I've learned this the hard way.
According to Coconut Battery I have 274 load cycles, and my battery is 75% max charge capacity. How would I go about getting my battery replaced?
Just make an appointment with an apple genius in one of their stores.  Tell them it's not holding a charge like it once was.  I'm not sure if the battery policy applies to those outside of the applecare warranty.  Either way you wont get charged anything for having them look at it.

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

just got my brand new 15 inch 2011 macbook pro loving it so far... plan on swapping the hard drive for a 1 tb and upgrade this ram to 8gb real soon

yeah 8gb is overkill unless youre running the entire adobe suite at once.  get istat and track you're usage and see if you really need it.  Im an audio engineer and barely break 3 of my 4gb ever.  
As of right now no one makes a 1 tb hd that will fit in the macbook pro.  the pro's can only handle drives that are 9.5mm and the largest in that size is 750gb.  If you want both a speed upgrade and more space get an optibay and ssd.  For $350 you can get a 128 gb ssd harddrive as your primary and for all your apps. then using your old hd and the optibay replace your superdrive and use that drive for media.  That will cut your boot and application load time in half.

MBP don't take 2.5 drives?

that's lame
30t6p3b.gif

I dont plan on touching my RAM though. I want to upgrade my hard drive to a 80GB SSD, then use an external Hard drive for all my movies, pictures, and music. As stated 4gb of RAM is enough.

yeah 8gb is overkill unless youre running the entire adobe suite at once.  get istat and track you're usage and see if you really need it.  Im an audio engineer and barely break 3 of my 4gb ever.  
As of right now no one makes a 1 tb hd that will fit in the macbook pro.  the pro's can only handle drives that are 9.5mm and the largest in that size is 750gb.  If you want both a speed upgrade and more space get an optibay and ssd.  For $350 you can get a 128 gb ssd harddrive as your primary and for all your apps. then using your old hd and the optibay replace your superdrive and use that drive for media.  That will cut your boot and application load time in half.
damn thanks bro im glad you told me that because i was on amazon reading reviews on this HD heres the link i was just about to buy it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but for SSD i know its a very good drive and speeds up the mac alot but i dont want to spend that much on such small space i need 750 and up prefer a TB but i guess ima have to do with this 500 right now

EDIT: also there are alot of people making reviews of that product claiming they put that drive in their mac...  also i just wanted the 8gb just to have it, it is only like $80 compared to what apple charges so i was willing to pay that... but i guess i dont need that... this new mac i got now is already to much power for me but i just wanted to do it for the hell of it

Originally Posted by CWrite78

that's lame
30t6p3b.gif

they take 2.5" drives but 2.5" drives come in different thicknesses.  Macbooks can accommodate 9.5mm but not the 12mm.

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Im getting my new Macbook Pro tomorrow! I cant wait, going to do the same JayzOnMyToes, but im going the SSD route instead.

congrats man... what size you getting?

damn thanks bro im glad you told me that because i was on amazon reading reviews on this HD heres the link i was just about to buy it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but for SSD i know its a very good drive and speeds up the mac alot but i dont want to spend that much on such small space i need 750 and up prefer a TB but i guess ima have to do with this 500 right now

EDIT: also there are alot of people making reviews of that product claiming they put that drive in their mac...
yeah ive heard peopele put 12mm thick drives in their machines but its not designed for the 12mm size.  I dont know what affect if any that will have on things internally.

for $350 the setup i mentioned would leave you with about 620gb's of space with the upgraded performance due to the ssd. you would lose the internal superdrive but to me its worth it.  I just copped a 2011 15" pro and its the path I plan on taking.

that's lame
30t6p3b.gif

they take 2.5" drives but 2.5" drives come in different thicknesses.  Macbooks can accommodate 9.5mm but not the 12mm.

i did not know that, thx for the info!

also, 1TB drives will be slow (for notebooks anyway) it's better to get a fast small drive and get an external than one big slow drive.

also, that "superdrive" will eventually break.. like mine.

6 times. with 2 diff computers.

yeah ive heard peopele put 12mm thick drives in their machines but its not designed for the 12mm size.  I dont know what affect if any that will have on things internally.

for $350 the setup i mentioned would leave you with about 620gb's of space with the upgraded performance due to the ssd. you would lose the internal superdrive but to me its worth it.  I just copped a 2011 15" pro and its the path I plan on taking.

yea so we got the same one than well i guess ima pass on the harddrive and the ram for right now ... but isnt the superdrive the cd player? if so i need my cd player... but i agree with the setup you told me because i was looking at videos on youtube on people who did it and that was on hell of a performance boost...

also, 1TB drives will be slow (for notebooks anyway) it's better to get a fast small drive and get an external than one big slow drive.

also, that "superdrive" will eventually break.. like mine.

6 times. with 2 diff computers.
damn well i guess ima pass... im satisfied with my new pro tho my first one... but not my first mac..

well alright since you guys changed my mind on upgrading the RAM and HD.. and saved me $200... can yall recommend me a case for my 15' pro?

Im getting my new Macbook Pro tomorrow! I cant wait, going to do the same JayzOnMyToes, but im going the SSD route instead.

13 inch, my very first Mac.

13 inch, my very first Mac.
thats wassup... ever since i left windows and came to mac i never looked back... this new 15' i just got was expensive
sick.gif
  but i believe it was worth it

JayzOnMyToes wrote:

yea so we got the same one than well i guess ima pass on the harddrive and the ram for right now ... but isnt the superdrive the cd player? if so i need my cd player... but i agree with the setup you told me because i was looking at videos on youtube on people who did it and that was on hell of a performance boost...

yeah you lose the internal superdrive/cd but most of the companies who make the optibay enclosure include an external supdrive enclosure.  The maxupgrades one looks the most legit. I never use mine.  A lot of people are speculating that the next gen macbook pro will ditch the cd drive all together like the macbook air.  
As for case I've got the incase hard case and sleeve.  Cost me about $115 shipped for both from incase.

yeah you lose the internal superdrive/cd but most of the companies who make the optibay enclosure include an external supdrive enclosure.  The maxupgrades one looks the most legit. I never use mine.  A lot of people are speculating that the next gen macbook pro will ditch the cd drive all together like the macbook air.  
As for case I've got the incase hard case and sleeve.  Cost me about $115 shipped for both from incase.
oh ok... well i need my cd drive
laugh.gif
i be ripping alot of dvds and watching movies so i need mines... but yea i hope they dont get rid of the cd drive but add a blu ray drive or something

JayzOnMyToes wrote:

oh ok... well i need my cd drive
laugh.gif
i be ripping alot of dvds and watching movies so i need mines... but yea i hope they dont get rid of the cd drive but add a blu ray drive or something

ehhhh...steve jobs has said that blu-ray is "a bag of hurt" so I wouldn't hold you breath.  Between iTunes and the app store apples digital distribution game is locked down.

has anyone had any issues with NT "quote" replies or quick replies using google chrome on a mac? I try to quote and it just shows the original post half the time and i have to create a new post. Also, I'm not able to send private messages to people now either.

How are the incase hard case compared to the Speck ones? Is it soft touch too?

Yeah they're virtually the same as the speck satin cases.  I just stick with incase because I've used them for awhile and I like the color selection more.
pchen83 wrote:
has anyone had any issues with NT "quote" replies or quick replies using google chrome on a mac? I try to quote and it just shows the original post half the time and i have to create a new post. Also, I'm not able to send private messages to people now either.

I don't have any problems other than the regular yuku stuff. Im running version 10.0.648.205

My first Macbook Pro came in today. Learning the OS right now, its not a big a learning curve as i thought it would be.

My first Macbook Pro came in today. Learning the OS right now, its not a big a learning curve as i thought it would be.
I got mine a couple weeks ago.
I'm loving the multi-touch trackpad.

Still adjusting to the new OS.

i NEVER use my trackpad, in fact, i hate it. nothing beats a mouse IMO

I think it's pretty handy and can't live without it.  2 finger scroll, 4 finger expose at least?

Back
Top Bottom