The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Anybody can purchase from Apples education site I believe. It's $100 off most machines with some going higher than that. Discounts on AppleCare, too.

I think I'm pretty much dead set on the new 15inch. I wanted a 13 with 16gb, so I figure why not get the 15 with two extra cores and the standard ram I want. The baseline will be more than enough computing power for me for years to come.

The question now is to apple care or no apple care :lol: :smh:

Nah bro..13..and increase the RAM

15 is giganticus

Looks like the student discount is $200 off the "stock" upgraded 15in Pro. Then knocks another $20 off if you upgrade the processor, bringing it to $2779. Pretty nice discount but I think I'm still gonna hold off until next year to see if they drop any lower.

I really wish these were available to play around with in stores. I traditionally prefer 13in laptops but for some reason I want a 15in this time around. If the 15in isn't actually too much of a difference, I'd cop the 13in with no hesitation. I'd have little to no out of pocket for a 13in.

Last edited:
Yeah I saved $130. Grabbed the 13 inch, upgraded to 16GB and upgraded the processor. I'm currently computerless and I've been doing waaayyyy too much on my work computer and iPhone. So I couldn't wait lol

I heard the iPad Pro with the pencil is amazing if you are in college..I want to buy the 9.7 right now (current CS student)..but I'm gonna wait until March for the second version to come out

Can you add on a apple Care after you purchase?
I believe you have a year from the original purchase date to add Apple Care coverage. Not sure what the procedure is though. I assume you'd have to provide proof that it's still in working condition to get the coverage.

Yeah you have to bring it to a Apple Store within the year and let them inspect it to verify nothing is messed up before they warranty it.

Anybody can purchase from Apples education site I believe. It's $100 off most machines with some going higher than that. Discounts on AppleCare, too.

Yeah you can submit the order but then they'll send you a email to verify your student email. Unless they letting everybody go through? :lol:

Really all 2011's? regardless of when your applecare expires? 

Yes, regardless of AppleCare.
A friend of mine has a 15' 2011 with maxed out RAM and a Samsung SSD that started having GPU/video issues.
Called Apple with the serial #, they overnight me a box and within 3 days they overnighted it back to me.

They replaced the logic board, battery, optical drive, MagSafe board, top case with keyboard, and cable flex optical drive. All for free with the extended coverage on certain 2011s and 2012s

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Last edited:
Any reason why you can get a 3.3GHz i7 in the 13in but the 15in only has a 2.9GHz i7?

Last edited:
After I sell my three MacBook/Airs and cop the new Pro I'll be down to one machine.

I like having a second laptop as a "home" machine for simple web browsing/travel/light work, so I may cop a mid-2010 C2D White Unibody joint and upgrade it to 8-16GB RAM and a small SSD for the OS. Should run around $300-$400.

Has anybody went through with those upgrades on that particular model? I've always loved the design of the older all white MacBooks and I think it'd probably hold up nicely for everyday light usage. Only thing I'd be worried about is the battery life and if it can still hold a charge or not.

Last edited:
Yeah I would be mostly worried about the battery, however you may be able to find some of those batteries through eBay to replace. The upgrade itself is fairly easy from my experience.

Yeah I would be mostly worried about the battery, however you may be able to find some of those batteries through eBay to replace. The upgrade itself is fairly easy from my experience.
Yep, a quick search on eBay/Amazon and it looks like batteries can be had for around $30-$50. Probably worth it to just cop one right off the bat to start fresh.

I heard the iPad Pro with the pencil is amazing if you are in college..I want to buy the 9.7 right now (current CS student)..but I'm gonna wait until March for the second version to come out

You gonna type up papers on the ipad or write them by hand with the pencil? lol

For taking notes, paper + pen are your friends

Back
Top Bottom