The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

A maxed out 2015 MBP should last around 5+ years with ease right?

Thinking this may be the route I choose...But the new model in space gray is nice lol. Folks are also talking about the different feel of the keyboard as well. Hmmmm.

Thinking this may be the route I choose...But the new model in space gray is nice lol. Folks are also talking about the different feel of the keyboard as well. Hmmmm.

Easy. My 09 was running like butter in 2013, i only upgraded because i caught a steal on an open box retina. I would get apple care though since these cant be worked on by just anyone like older macs could.

Easy. My 09 was running like butter in 2013, i only upgraded because i caught a steal on an open box retina. I would get apple care though since these cant be worked on by just anyone like older macs could.
Yeah, I'd definitely get AppleCare...I guess I just am getting caught up in the hype with folks reviewing the new MBPs saying it's great and looks wonderful, etc.

I just want to be smart with my purchase and not have buyer's remorse since this will be my main laptop for the next 5+ years.

Yeah the space gray is beautiful..almost bought the regular MacBook til I seen the specs lol

I ******* hate you Apple

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new research report outlining why he's upbeat about MacBook growth in 2017. Kuo expects price cuts for both new and existing MacBooks in 2017 coupled with a refresh that adds support for 32GB RAM and more, bolstering his belief in the MacBook line next year.

Kuo cites Apple's tendency to price "major-upgraded models," like the original MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, higher near the initial launch "before undergoing in price cuts in the following year" as precedent for price cuts in the second half of 2017. He also believes that the ecosystem for USB-C devices and software that takes advantage of the Touch Bar will become more mature, making it more enticing for users.

Finally, Kuo expects refreshed MacBooks Pros to be launched in the second half of 2017 with support for 32GB of RAM. However, Kuo says this is dependent on whether Intel launches Cannonlake processors on time.

(3) the new MacBook to be launched in 2H17 may support 32GB DRAM, eventually attracting more core users; this depends on whether or not Intel ships Cannonlake CPU on time in 2017, which features 15-25% less power consumption of LPDDR 4, versus the existing LPDDR 3. If Cannonlake doesn’t enter mass production as expected, the new models launched in 2H17 will adopt Coffee Lake, which continues to adopt LPDDR 3, and maximum DRAM support will also remain unchanged at 16GB.

Many customers have been upset that the new MacBooks, which run more energy efficient Skylake processors, continue to max out at 16GB of RAM and cost more than previous-generation models. For instance, the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar starts at $1,799, $500 more than previous-generation models.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, in an email to MacRumors reader David, explained that for Apple to make a notebook with support for more than 16GB of RAM, it would have to use a memory system that consumes too much power. Regarding price, Schiller said in an interview that affordability is "absolutely something we care about" but that the company designs for experience rather than price.

While Kuo expects price cuts for new and existing MacBooks, like both the 12-inch MacBook and the new MacBook Pros, it's unclear whether he expects Apple to offer support for up to 32GB of RAM for the 12-inch MacBook in addition to the MacBook Pros.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/macbooks-2017-price-cuts-32gb-ram/

People who want to edit photos or videos or upload 4k videos from device to youtube (i believe max upload from device is 1080p).

Also people who want to charge their phone via their device because they may be on the go.

Lol what kind of idiotic question was that?

You don't need to connect your phone to edit photos. That's what iCloud Photo Library is for.

For the 4K YouTube videos, email them using AirDrop.

For charging, have a battery pack if you need power on the go.

If those solutions don't work for you, then people shouldn't complain, or shouldn't buy Apple products anymore. Nobody forcing you to buy anything.

Trying to reformat my MacBook. When I turn it on I get the white screen with the gray apple logo. How can I ddo this?

I do want to wait, but I'm in a need of a laptop to do work on.

So I'm going to have to decide real soon =\

I'm in the same position. My advice to you is try not to be influenced by the hype of the new MBP. Actually go into your local Apple store when the new MBPs come in and just play around with it and the 2015 to get a feel for both. Before then think about what you'll really be using the MBP for.

I'm torn between the 2016 and 2015 model.

2016 is the latest Apple has to offer and it looks great in Space Gray...But the 2015 with a max specs with the ports I need are there.

Just want to make sure that i'm content with the decision I made.

Like I said above, same scenario. As of right now I'm leaning towards the 2015, but I still want to check that and the 2016 out in person. So I'm waiting for that before making my decision.

Reading more and more about the 16' MBP and realized I need a dongle to connect my iPhone, dongle for my external HD, and a dongle for my SD card.

Cmon mannnnn.

Very frustrating. Think I read on BGR you'll be paying $250 in dongles to replace most of the ports Apple removed.

Who connects their phone to their computer in 2016? Why would you do that with iCloud?

I still do. Times I need to charge quickly and there's moments I want to transfer videos or photos onto my computer. Plus monthly charges add up, some may like paying for 20 different things monthly, I don't. So wherever I can budget, I will.

People who want to edit photos or videos or upload 4k videos from device to youtube (i believe max upload from device is 1080p).

Also people who want to charge their phone via their device because they may be on the go.

Exactly :lol:.

My 2008 MBP has lasted until now, mind you I've never updated the OS (big mistake :smh: ) and I've never upgraded the SSD/RAM. I can still do a majority of basic things but it's getting really bad now, and my battery is pretty much done. Also random weird things have started to occur, I have a feeling it won't last soon (just a gut feeling).

Yeah I'm going to add AC if I get the 2015.

Well my 2011 13" MBP crapped out and now I'm in the market for a new laptop. I had upgraded my HDD and RAM on the laptop.

So what's the process of getting a new laptop and moving your files over to the new laptop? Honestly i haven't backed up my computer for some time. Looks like I may have to start fresh smh

Oh yea I was also having the logic board issues and my laptop wouldn't turn on

Last edited:
I ******* hate you Apple

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new research report outlining why he's upbeat about MacBook growth in 2017. Kuo expects price cuts for both new and existing MacBooks in 2017 coupled with a refresh that adds support for 32GB RAM and more, bolstering his belief in the MacBook line next year.

Kuo cites Apple's tendency to price "major-upgraded models," like the original MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, higher near the initial launch "before undergoing in price cuts in the following year" as precedent for price cuts in the second half of 2017. He also believes that the ecosystem for USB-C devices and software that takes advantage of the Touch Bar will become more mature, making it more enticing for users.

Finally, Kuo expects refreshed MacBooks Pros to be launched in the second half of 2017 with support for 32GB of RAM. However, Kuo says this is dependent on whether Intel launches Cannonlake processors on time.

(3) the new MacBook to be launched in 2H17 may support 32GB DRAM, eventually attracting more core users; this depends on whether or not Intel ships Cannonlake CPU on time in 2017, which features 15-25% less power consumption of LPDDR 4, versus the existing LPDDR 3. If Cannonlake doesn’t enter mass production as expected, the new models launched in 2H17 will adopt Coffee Lake, which continues to adopt LPDDR 3, and maximum DRAM support will also remain unchanged at 16GB.

Many customers have been upset that the new MacBooks, which run more energy efficient Skylake processors, continue to max out at 16GB of RAM and cost more than previous-generation models. For instance, the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar starts at $1,799, $500 more than previous-generation models.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, in an email to MacRumors reader David, explained that for Apple to make a notebook with support for more than 16GB of RAM, it would have to use a memory system that consumes too much power. Regarding price, Schiller said in an interview that affordability is "absolutely something we care about" but that the company designs for experience rather than price.

While Kuo expects price cuts for new and existing MacBooks, like both the 12-inch MacBook and the new MacBook Pros, it's unclear whether he expects Apple to offer support for up to 32GB of RAM for the 12-inch MacBook in addition to the MacBook Pros.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/macbooks-2017-price-cuts-32gb-ram/
Looks like I'm waiting until 2017 to consider anything.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Independent, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said the company has received more online orders for the new MacBook Pro so far than any previous-generation MacBook Pro.
And we are proud to tell you that so far our online store has had more orders for the new MacBook Pro than any other pro notebook before. So there certainly are a lot of people as excited as we are about it.
2016_macbook_pro_lineupSchiller said the early criticism and debate about the new MacBook Pro has been "a bit of a surprise" to him, but said "that's cool" and common for new Apple products. He attributed the response to a "passionate" customer base.
Are you surprised by how vocal the critics have been?

To be fair it has been a bit of a surprise to me. But then, it shouldn’t be. I have never seen a great new Apple product that didn’t have its share of early criticism and debate — and that’s cool. We took a bold risk, and of course with every step forward there is also some change to deal with. Our customers are so passionate, which is amazing.

We care about what they love and what they are worried about. And it's our job to help people through these changes. We know we made good decisions about what to build into the new MacBook Pro and that the result is the best notebook ever made, but it might not be right for everyone on day one. That’s okay, some people felt that way about the first iMac and that turned out pretty good.
Schiller went on to say the new MacBook Pro is "the best notebook ever made," but admitted it "might not be right for everyone on day one."

You don't need to connect your phone to edit photos. That's what iCloud Photo Library is for.

If those solutions don't work for you, then people shouldn't complain, or shouldn't buy Apple products anymore. Nobody forcing you to buy anything.

Lol how much they paying you? Hell I need a battery pack for when plugging the phone up to a lap top is more efficient?

Did this face just say email 4k video? You do realize how large 4K files are?

maxed out? prolly double that...comes down to processor speed. you could always throw in a SSD and mad ram on the low.

Last edited:
Lol how much they paying you? Hell I need a battery pack for when plugging the phone up to a lap top is more efficient?

Did this face just say email 4k video? You do realize how large 4K files are?

Have you ever used MailDrop? It's pretty damn efficient

Last edited:
I still hook up my iPhone to my MacBook to sync and get new music. Not trying to pay for that iCloud subscription at all.

I probably would've been OK with the price hike if there were still USB and SD ports. Def not going to carry dongle around.

I wonder how sales for the iPhone 7's are doing. I know quite a few people not getting because of the headphone thing alone. I rock a 7 and 6S and it's irritating I can't just flip the headphone between the two for calls. Brought this up because of drastic changes in the new MBP.

How long until prices of the previous MacBooks (in this case 2015/early 2016) go down?

I agree 100%, which is why I'm going with a XPS 13. I wanted a MBP, but I am unwilling to compromise on things like ports

^nice choice on the xps13. The infinty display is so damn amazing. I always wanted that on the macbooks.

Yeah just cant do the lack of ports and i dont want to be carrying around a hub/adapters. Will just get a fully loaded old model before they disappear.

I'm probably gonna cop a top of the line 13 or 15 inch MBP and sit on it for 10 years

Well my 2011 13" MBP crapped out and now I'm in the market for a new laptop. I had upgraded my HDD and RAM on the laptop.

So what's the process of getting a new laptop and moving your files over to the new laptop? Honestly i haven't backed up my computer for some time. Looks like I may have to start fresh smh

Oh yea I was also having the logic board issues and my laptop wouldn't turn on

U can take it to the Apple Store..they will fix any Mac that is within 5 years..I had a similar problem years ago..cost about $200 to fix and took about 2 weeks

U should take it there to get looked at

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom