The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

My 2008 has maxed out RAM, an SSD and new battery. My intentions were to get the new model, but Apple omitted a lot of things I would have liked to used. I'm fine with adapters (I have a display port dongle and as card reader since mine didn't have it), but this requires me to get everything. So I'll try to catch a 2015.

@Crazy EBW not everyone with a MBP uses an iPhone. Some of the features you mentioned as alternatives are irrelevant.

I'm just pissed I got a 128GB 2015 pro 
mean.gif

it was so stupid and I'll probably end up getting another and getting rid of this 

I have a 2013 MBA, still goes strong 'til the day. I don't think the battery lasts 10 hours anymore though. MB Pro looks nice, but overkill for me.

First time posting in this thread....

I've owned an iPhone since 2011, have an iPad/Ipods and now an apple watch (gift) and just got a MacBook Pro a couple months ago.

A few of my boys still work at Apple Retail and he was supposed to give me the run down, but you know how that goes when it's "family."

I'm presuming this thread is a good starting point to get into the swing of things. I've used Macs before, but never switched to it for primary use and for work.

It's taking some time to get things going smoothly for sure. :nerd:

Well my 2011 13" MBP crapped out and now I'm in the market for a new laptop. I had upgraded my HDD and RAM on the laptop.

So what's the process of getting a new laptop and moving your files over to the new laptop? Honestly i haven't backed up my computer for some time. Looks like I may have to start fresh smh

Oh yea I was also having the logic board issues and my laptop wouldn't turn on

U can take it to the Apple Store..they will fix any Mac that is within 5 years..I had a similar problem years ago..cost about $200 to fix and took about 2 weeks

U should take it there to get looked at
I took it to the Apple Store about a week or two ago. At first they said it was a logic board issue so they ordered the part and tried to turn on the laptop but it still wouldn't turn on, so they ended up shipping it to Apple to have it looked at further. When I got it back it was working and the folks from the Apple Store decided to waive off the fee to fix it.

I took it home and it was working fine for a few days then all the sudden it shuts off and I tried turning back on but nothing happened. Took the laptop back to the Apple Store and that's when told me it was completely dead and they tried everything and couldn't get it to power on.

First time posting in this thread....

I've owned an iPhone since 2011, have an iPad/Ipods and now an apple watch (gift) and just got a MacBook Pro a couple months ago.

A few of my boys still work at Apple Retail and he was supposed to give me the run down, but you know how that goes when it's "family."

I'm presuming this thread is a good starting point to get into the swing of things. I've used Macs before, but never switched to it for primary use and for work.

It's taking some time to get things going smoothly for sure.
nerd.gif
You should check out Apple's support page and also Macrumors.com. Tons of resources to utilize all the features your Mac has to offer.

Went to a local Best Buy to see the new MBPs and they didn't even have it on display yet. The sales associate said they're all still in a box lol.

Either way, spent some time with the 2015 rMBP and liked the feel for it. But, I caught myself comparing the design features of the 2016 lol

I think I will be making my purchase tonight...But still deciding if I should go for the maxed out 2015 model or the 2016 model with max RAM.

Just to be clear, everyone saying 2015 MBP are talking about the that's currently on Apple's webstore correct? :lol:

Just a comparison of my final 2 options below (prices are in Canadian).

52z4nr.jpg

30nd7xz.png

20iapox.jpg

2zjl6pw.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear, everyone saying 2015 MBP are talking about the that's currently on Apple's webstore correct? :lol:
Yeah, this one. Fully loaded is right around 2700 USD. After tax that's probably over $3k. I've seen them consistently ending for right around $2k on eBay over the past week or so. I imagine even those will drop in price over the next few months. It's completely speculative, but I'm thinking those prices are inflated due to everyone convinced NOT to buy the new 2016 MBPs are rushing to buy the maxed out 2015s.

Yeah, this one. Fully loaded is right around 2700 USD. After tax that's probably over $3k. I've seen them consistently ending for right around $2k on eBay over the past week or so. I imagine even those will drop in price over the next few months. It's completely speculative, but I'm thinking those prices are inflated due to everyone convinced NOT to buy the new 2016 MBPs are rushing to buy the maxed out 2015s.

Good stuff, thanks. Just had to make sure. :lol:

Both of those prices :x

But the fact that the new model is almost 2 grand more :x :x

Last edited:

Remember, the prices are in Canadian $. Also our state/province tax is 13% :smh:, but some of that would be discounted with that Apple student 10% (I think it's 13% or 15% discount for teachers).

As much as I hate the price, I know for a fact that MacBooks last an eternity by computer standards.

They don't have the hardware power to back that price, but OS X takes full advantage of what they have.

Theres no way I could have upgraded a windows PC through as many OS' in a span of 5 years and it still handle them like a champ.

Could use your guys advice. Id really appreciate it and rep you!! :D.
Im a 2009 MBP owner who bought it new at school, so im not used to buying used laptops at all.
Ive done some research on ebay and this seems to be the going rate for a 2012 or newer 15" MBP retina, with at least 250 gb SSD and 8gb RAM which is what im looking for.

Ive gotten this guy down to a $900 bottom line price. He says he wont go a penny more but i can have it tonight (assuming the condition checks out in person).

Is $900 a good deal for this 2012? Or should I wait. He is using salesmanship and saying the resale price wont drop much lower since the new 2016's started at 2400 this time.
I dont believe him but he does have a point.

I really need a laptop, its not super urgent though. Definitely not $2400 (new ones) urgent :x

I told him id feel more comfortable paying 800 especially since the battery cycle is at 600/1000.
but he is not budging.

Should I bite or keep searching on craigslist/ebay? :nerd:

Last edited:
Could use your guys advice. Id really appreciate it and rep you!! :D.
Im a 2009 MBP owner who bought it new at school, so im not used to buying used laptops at all.
Ive done some research on ebay and this seems to be the going rate for a 2012 or newer 15" MBP retina, with at least 250 gb SSD and 8gb RAM which is what im looking for.

Ive gotten this guy down to a $900 bottom line price. He says he wont go a penny more but i can have it tonight (assuming the condition checks out in person).

Is $900 a good deal for this 2012? Or should I wait. He is using salesmanship and saying the resale price wont drop much lower since the new 2016's started at 2400 this time.
I dont believe him but he does have a point.

I really need a laptop, its not super urgent though. Definitely not $2400 (new ones) urgent :x

I told him id feel more comfortable paying 800 especially since the battery cycle is at 600/1000.
but he is not budging.

Should I bite or keep searching on craigslist/ebay? :nerd:

I sold my 13 inch retina 2013 8gb 128gb ram for a little under 1100 on ebay. For a 2012 that can be upgraded and i7 id think 8-900 is fair

Remember, the prices are in Canadian $. Also our state/province tax is 13% :smh:, but some of that would be discounted with that Apple student 10% (I think it's 13% or 15% discount for teachers).
Didn't see you post those screenshots. That Canadian-USD conversion rate is crazy :wow:.

Didn't see you post those screenshots. That Canadian-USD conversion rate is crazy :wow:.

Even if I don't do the 1TB on the new MBP (photo below) the price is still nuts (I don't need 1 TB but it's fun to have that there).

2mx3leg.jpg

2mowo45.jpg

Last edited:
^ Word that price is still ridiculous :lol:.

I don't need my specs maxed out either, by any means. If I do end up going with the 2016, I'm most likely gonna stick with everything stock aside from a 512GB SSD. I'm really only interested in the maxed out 2015 because of the price disparity between it and a completely stock 2016.

I guess I'm lucky in that I really don't need a new machine. I just want one :lol:. So I can play the waiting game and see if they drop the price next year. I feel for you though, you're a bit hamstringed since you've been waiting.

Last edited:
^ Word that price is still ridiculous :lol:.

I don't need my specs maxed out either, by any means. If I do end up going with the 2016, I'm most likely gonna stick with everything stock aside from a 512GB SSD. I'm really only interested in the maxed out 2015 because of the price disparity between it and a completely stock 2016.

I guess I'm lucky in that I really don't need a new machine. I just want one :lol:. So I can play the waiting game and see if they drop the price next year. I feel for you though, you're a bit hamstringed since you've been waiting.

Yeah my plan was to buy the new MBP right when they came in. Then obviously the keynote happened and that all changed. I'm 80% sure I'm just going to do the 2015 maxed out but I still want to go in and play around with both. I doubt it but I hope they're out for display this weekend.

Last edited:
Aren't prices of the new MBP dropping in 2017 with 32GB RAM instead of 16GB? According to MacRumors

I`m def an early adopter but I just wouldnt drop 4 racks on something where its essentially buttons are now dependent on a small touch screen. That said just make sure you get apple care if you do get the new joint.

I`m def an early adopter but I just wouldnt drop 4 racks on something where its essentially buttons are now dependent on a small touch screen. That said just make sure you get apple care if you do get the new joint.

I'm with you 100%, like I said I'm probably doing a 2015. But today I actually went online to do pricing comparisons with taxes and everything.

Back
Top Bottom