The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

how not, he repeatedly talked about it

Not to sound like Jack Bauer but I like you guys, you give us rides on your ship but I honestly can't name a famous Sailor besides David Robinson lol. But I stand corrected, quite a handful of Presidents, politicians and celebrities (MC Hammer, Pill Cosby, Kirk Douglas, etc) served in the DoN.

Sad dude died of that disease. RIP shipmate.

Last edited:
Not to sound like Jack Bauer but I like you guys, you give us rides on your ship but I honestly can't name a famous Sailor besides David Robinson lol. But I stand corrected, quite a handful of Presidents, politicians and celebrities (MC Hammer, Pill Cosby, Kirk Douglas, etc) served in the DoN.

i wasnt in the Navy

How have you not heard of John F. Kennedy? John McCain?

What type of advice you looking for bro?!

If you been to college I would suggest going the officer route

Talk to me

Last edited:
What type of advice you looking for bro?!

If you been to college I would suggest going the officer route

Talk to me

Here is my story, I wasn't able to join when I was 18 due to a class b misdemeanor for street racing. So I started working and put a good amount of weight on. Fast forward to my 29th year of life. I work at a car dealership and have met a few military personal who've joined late in life. Recently talked to a Maj. who joined at 28, no education and no goal in life, so he joined. Got his education and became commissioned. I feel it's my duty to put some time in to serve and to also complete my nursing degree that I started to chip away at in a community college. I currently have 4 years of ROTC from high school and 65 college hours so far.

The branch I'm most interested in would be the USAF. I'm getting my ducks in a row, working and studying my practice asvab in the present moment.

Just make sure you have that end goal. Will you enlist active or reserve? Have you studied for the asvab?

You don't want to out place yourself for a job over not preparing for the test.

Just make sure you have that end goal. Will you enlist active or reserve? Have you studied for the asvab?

You don't want to out place yourself for a job over not preparing for the test.

I want to try out for reserves if that is possible for me, move up the ranks at my work during that year, pay my small amount of bills off then hopefully go active. Not sure what the correct procedures would be.

I have a current asvab book with 2 test I'll be studying for the mean time. Any pointers on a study guide ?

So you're going to retire at 49-50?

I DEP'd in at 24; graduated boot camp at the ripe old age of 25. I hate that I'm going to retire in my 40s lol.

But if you have a plan of action and milestones (lol), you should be fine. Just understand it's a young man's game. You'll have maturity on your side. And if you do become active, definitely go restricted or unrestricted officer.

Last edited:
So you're going to retire at 49-50?

I DEP'd in at 24; graduated boot camp at the ripe old age of 25. I hate that I'm going to retire in my 40s lol.

But if you have a plan of action and milestones (lol), you should be fine. Just understand it's a young man's game. You'll have maturity on your side. And if you do become active, definitely go restricted or unrestricted officer.

I know. It's a tough choice to live with. I shouldn't of done the stupid things I did.

I know. It's a tough choice to live with. I shouldn't of done the stupid things I did.

Most people retire in their 50s and or 60s. So 40s is a blessing imo. Can start a whole new career if you wanted.

That's my plan. 14 more years to go lol

Last edited:
My dad retired Military after 25 yrs and about to retire Civil service too. That's basically 6 figures or close for sitting at home especially if you maximize your disability and they promote faster nowadays so 20 yrs you should be able to make E8.

Last edited:
My dad retired Military after 25 yrs and about to retire Civil service too. That's basically 6 figures or close for sitting at home especially if you maximize your disability and they promote faster nowadays so 20 yrs you should be able to make E8.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just something to think about.

Man, my metabolism slow and the body don't bounce back or is as flexible as I was when I was younger. I'm a Marine so we're a little more savage about weight and light/limited duty. Met Army cats who had permanent profiles. This one cat had one for his beard and he had a bad knee. Couldn't run on his PT test.

If we did that they'd be like boy go'n get you a new job and try to collect some disability, we ain't got no room for you here.

My advice still stands. Have a plan.

School. Invest. Network.

E8 retirement is okay. CWO3-4 or O3/4^ is better.

How long do clearance reviews/updates take, starting to get nervous now, submitted everything in October, and here we are still no resolution.

9 more years ..... going to master fitness triainer course in Austin next month.

Last edited:
How long do clearance reviews/updates take, starting to get nervous now, submitted everything in October, and here we are still no resolution.

There's no consistent answer for this. It depends on so many factors from the individual.

Back
Top Bottom