The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

@KBerg_CBS Derek Fisher emerges from nearly 3-hour bargaining session and acknowledges owners and players are still in the same place as 30 days ago.
ohwell.gif

Edit:
@KBerg_CBS Asked if players are bargaining in good faith or not, Stern said, "I would say not," and walked away
Get the hell outta here $tern.
sick.gif

The NBA isn't publicly traded so i don't think they need to show his salary.

Someone needs to Photoshop stern's face on Boss Hogg

Been said before... The owners have absolutely no intention of negotiating.

There won't be a season unless the players bend over backwards so stern can have his way with them

There won't be a season unless the players bend over backwards so stern can have his way with them

30t6p3b.gif
I'm already starting to look past this next "season" or whatever will remain of it.....rather just see the top 100 or so guys flock overseas and play over there until this mess is settled, which doesn't look like anytime soon
ohwell.gif

30t6p3b.gif
I'm already starting to look past this next "season" or whatever will remain of it.....rather just see the top 100 or so guys flock overseas and play over there until this mess is settled, which doesn't look like anytime soon
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

I know the owners are trying to lower salaries, but how come they don't wanna negotiate? Wouldn't no season, hurt the owners evenly as the players(w/ overseas and all)?

I know the owners are trying to lower salaries, but how come they don't wanna negotiate? Wouldn't no season, hurt the owners evenly as the players(w/ overseas and all)?

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

The owners have MUCH deeper pockets. To most of them, owning an NBA team is just a side gig. None of them got wealthy from owning their team. They all made their money elsewhere first. The players obviously don't have that luxury

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

The owners have MUCH deeper pockets. To most of them, owning an NBA team is just a side gig. None of them got wealthy from owning their team. They all made their money elsewhere first. The players obviously don't have that luxury

Crushing the players union is much more lucrative and valuable long term than the profits they would make next season

I think the players signing for much less and gong to Europe/Asia can end up hurting them, if and only if, they run back to the states when hey begin to hate the experience for whatever reason (food, culture, bad transportation, rowdy crowds with lack of security, even a lack of superstar treatment by refs)

Crushing the players union is much more lucrative and valuable long term than the profits they would make next season

I think the players signing for much less and gong to Europe/Asia can end up hurting them, if and only if, they run back to the states when hey begin to hate the experience for whatever reason (food, culture, bad transportation, rowdy crowds with lack of security, even a lack of superstar treatment by refs)

Really what it comes down to. Look things like retirement benefits, health care and marketing are the only reason the Players Union will exist if Stern gets his way. The way the general fans feel is that the NBA should pay its best players an aproprate amount for all the things they bring the league and the ancelary players should get less. Unions and inparticular sports unions have always existed to insure the lower level players. The last things the Union wants to see is a franchise tag or enhanced contract numbers and pay for designated players, cause it means the end of the Union being viable. You think a guy like Lebron doesnt want to be able to sign his own contracts with videogame publishers and the like?

Really what it comes down to. Look things like retirement benefits, health care and marketing are the only reason the Players Union will exist if Stern gets his way. The way the general fans feel is that the NBA should pay its best players an aproprate amount for all the things they bring the league and the ancelary players should get less. Unions and inparticular sports unions have always existed to insure the lower level players. The last things the Union wants to see is a franchise tag or enhanced contract numbers and pay for designated players, cause it means the end of the Union being viable. You think a guy like Lebron doesnt want to be able to sign his own contracts with videogame publishers and the like?

NBA takes legal action against locked-out players

The NBA has filed an unfair labor practice charge and afederal lawsuit against the NBA Players Association, accusing the players offailing to bargain “in good faith

The NBA has filed an unfair labor practice charge and afederal lawsuit against the NBA Players Association, accusing the players offailing to bargain “in good faith

The truth of the matter is that you have business men vs young guys, many of whom don't have great money management skills. The players will tap out quickly.

I've tried to put myself in both sets of shoes and look at this objectively. As a player what gains are to be made? What could possibly be lost? How does this compare with any other union objective? If I'm an auto worker I'm looking to get a pension, health-care and a competitive wage, but not much more. What do the players want out of this negotiation? Many players are overpaid for what they contribute to the team's success. Yes the owners write those checks but leverage is applied when negotiating the contract by the player/agent. On an individual level I don't see that there will be much lost to the players.

Owners don't have that much to lose as well. Most of them have seen appreciation in the value of the franchise since purchase. That is money made. Maybe there are a few owners who would like to see a yearly profit as well. For most of these guys there is little gain. The ones that are not doing well financially have made their bed.

As a fan there are a few things I would like to see come out of this:

1. The two-year rule for players coming out of high school. I like it for the college game and to help these teams make better draft decisions.

2. I'd like to see a hard cap and a minimum floor on collective team salaries, and very little space between them. Owners should be forced to spend nearly the same amount to field a team. There should be penalties for going above and below these levels. This should make things more competitive across the board. No more Mark Cubans buying a championship and no more Donald Sterlings milking a franchise by not putting a team out there.

3. Some kind of tweaking with the NBDL. Make it into more of a farm system. Not sure how to do this though. The name has "Development" in it. There should definitely be much more of that going on.

The truth of the matter is that you have business men vs young guys, many of whom don't have great money management skills. The players will tap out quickly.

I've tried to put myself in both sets of shoes and look at this objectively. As a player what gains are to be made? What could possibly be lost? How does this compare with any other union objective? If I'm an auto worker I'm looking to get a pension, health-care and a competitive wage, but not much more. What do the players want out of this negotiation? Many players are overpaid for what they contribute to the team's success. Yes the owners write those checks but leverage is applied when negotiating the contract by the player/agent. On an individual level I don't see that there will be much lost to the players.

Owners don't have that much to lose as well. Most of them have seen appreciation in the value of the franchise since purchase. That is money made. Maybe there are a few owners who would like to see a yearly profit as well. For most of these guys there is little gain. The ones that are not doing well financially have made their bed.

As a fan there are a few things I would like to see come out of this:

1. The two-year rule for players coming out of high school. I like it for the college game and to help these teams make better draft decisions.

2. I'd like to see a hard cap and a minimum floor on collective team salaries, and very little space between them. Owners should be forced to spend nearly the same amount to field a team. There should be penalties for going above and below these levels. This should make things more competitive across the board. No more Mark Cubans buying a championship and no more Donald Sterlings milking a franchise by not putting a team out there.

3. Some kind of tweaking with the NBDL. Make it into more of a farm system. Not sure how to do this though. The name has "Development" in it. There should definitely be much more of that going on.

30t6p3b.gif
The owners don't want to negotiate. it looks like they're content with missing an entire season. My heart is broken

30t6p3b.gif
The owners don't want to negotiate. it looks like they're content with missing an entire season. My heart is broken

Originally Posted by PMatic

The NBA has filed an unfair labor practice charge and a federal lawsuit against the NBA Players Association, accusing the players of failing to bargain “in good faith

Originally Posted by PMatic

The NBA has filed an unfair labor practice charge and a federal lawsuit against the NBA Players Association, accusing the players of failing to bargain “in good faith

Back
Top Bottom