The Official NBA PG Thread

KLJ I like what you are doing with that list with the categories, but theres something I dont quite understand. I dont get how you can rank the players in tier three (young and good) better than Kidd, Nash and Billups. We are still talking about RIGHT NOW correct? Not the future?

Yes the three in your greybeard category are past their primes and declining slightly.....but there is no way in hell you can tell me that John Wall is better right now than those three. I would actually argue that the other three in your 3rd tier should be behind the greybeards too, but I can understand the argument. But there is no way John Wall is better than Nash, Kidd and Billups. Sorry.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Al3xis

serious question: Is it time to include LeBron here?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just because he takes the ball from his teammates every possession and dribbles around the court for 20 seconds before either shooting or passing to an open guy, that doesn't make a PG. 

but Tyreke Evans gets called a PG. go figure.

I'm not saying he's a natural PG, I'm not even saying he's a good one. But right now he's their PG.

Is it that hard of a concept to comprehend? Or do we need a video game, fantasy draft or an All Star Ballot to show it?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

serious question: Is it time to include LeBron here?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just because he takes the ball from his teammates every possession and dribbles around the court for 20 seconds before either shooting or passing to an open guy, that doesn't make a PG. 

but Tyreke Evans gets called a PG. go figure.

I'm not saying he's a natural PG, I'm not even saying he's a good one. But right now he's their PG.

Is it that hard of a concept to comprehend? Or do we need a video game, fantasy draft or an All Star Ballot to show it?

^
Then you can say that about anyone who takes the ball and dominates it.  TMac = point guard.  BRoy = point guard.  Charles Barkley ='d PG. 

And I didn't say that Tyreke was a point guard.  Maybe others do, that's on them, and maybe Yahoo fantasy does or whatever, but that don't make him one. 

I don't even really agree with Curry being a PG, but since he and Monta are the only two out there, one of em gotta be a PG, so i guess it's Curry. 

And if Bron does get considered a PG, then he's middle of the pack behind the rest of those upper tier guys.  They have fewer turnovers, more assists and run better offenses.  Cuz Miami's sucks other then when they play bad teams, like when they play the Raptors comin up, they'll have a good game. 

^
Then you can say that about anyone who takes the ball and dominates it.  TMac = point guard.  BRoy = point guard.  Charles Barkley ='d PG. 

And I didn't say that Tyreke was a point guard.  Maybe others do, that's on them, and maybe Yahoo fantasy does or whatever, but that don't make him one. 

I don't even really agree with Curry being a PG, but since he and Monta are the only two out there, one of em gotta be a PG, so i guess it's Curry. 

And if Bron does get considered a PG, then he's middle of the pack behind the rest of those upper tier guys.  They have fewer turnovers, more assists and run better offenses.  Cuz Miami's sucks other then when they play bad teams, like when they play the Raptors comin up, they'll have a good game. 

I am not discussing the fact of how good he is.

it's just obvious he is playing PG right now.
James is playing point guard for the Heat and a lot of it. He is playing the Magic role that team president Pat Riley sold to him during free agency. The offense is running though him and he's taking turns feeding Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and even James Jones, who had 17 points.

Not that James is willing to call himself a point guard.

"I know I'm going to do a lot of ball handling for this team," said James, who was bothered by a sore leg and had 20 points but no rebounds. "Do I want to be called a point guard? I don't know."

Actually he does know. This from a minute later in the conversation: "I don't want to be called a point guard, but I can't stop it."

Whatever helps James sleep at night.

In his 33 minutes against the Wolves, James was the primary ball handler for nearly the entire time. Carlos Arroyo started at "point guard," and he and Wade handled some of the duties. But basically James has become the Heat's de facto lead guard when he's in the game. When the Heat are in transition off a turnover or running upcourt after a defensive rebound, James' handling rate creeps toward 100 percent as he actively looks to receive the ball.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra doesn't have another "point guard" in his rotation besides Arroyo, though even that may be some window dressing. His plan going into the season was to have James play the point as much as possible. Right now Spoelstra is getting away with calling James a "backup" point guard.

Many of Spoelstra's half-court sets are designed to start with the ball going to Bosh in the post. With Wade as one of the most dynamic wing players in the game, placing James at the point makes a lot of sense strategically. His presence at the top of the floor offers balance and draws the defense.

he doesn't even want the distinction. And I could care less.

I asked because what I have seen leads me to believe that right now, he is a PG about 80% of the time, at least. I don't know if it's best for him, his team, his career...whatever. but that's the position he's playing.

I am not discussing the fact of how good he is.

it's just obvious he is playing PG right now.
James is playing point guard for the Heat and a lot of it. He is playing the Magic role that team president Pat Riley sold to him during free agency. The offense is running though him and he's taking turns feeding Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and even James Jones, who had 17 points.

Not that James is willing to call himself a point guard.

"I know I'm going to do a lot of ball handling for this team," said James, who was bothered by a sore leg and had 20 points but no rebounds. "Do I want to be called a point guard? I don't know."

Actually he does know. This from a minute later in the conversation: "I don't want to be called a point guard, but I can't stop it."

Whatever helps James sleep at night.

In his 33 minutes against the Wolves, James was the primary ball handler for nearly the entire time. Carlos Arroyo started at "point guard," and he and Wade handled some of the duties. But basically James has become the Heat's de facto lead guard when he's in the game. When the Heat are in transition off a turnover or running upcourt after a defensive rebound, James' handling rate creeps toward 100 percent as he actively looks to receive the ball.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra doesn't have another "point guard" in his rotation besides Arroyo, though even that may be some window dressing. His plan going into the season was to have James play the point as much as possible. Right now Spoelstra is getting away with calling James a "backup" point guard.

Many of Spoelstra's half-court sets are designed to start with the ball going to Bosh in the post. With Wade as one of the most dynamic wing players in the game, placing James at the point makes a lot of sense strategically. His presence at the top of the floor offers balance and draws the defense.

he doesn't even want the distinction. And I could care less.

I asked because what I have seen leads me to believe that right now, he is a PG about 80% of the time, at least. I don't know if it's best for him, his team, his career...whatever. but that's the position he's playing.

please explain.

please explain.

Tyreke is a combo guard. Never will be a traditional PG, but he can play the position.

Steph is interchangeable with Monta right now so I see some people thinking he is not a legit PG, but more of a combo guard as well. Altho a lot of people said Steph can turn into a Nash-type because of his shooting.

Tyreke is a combo guard. Never will be a traditional PG, but he can play the position.

Steph is interchangeable with Monta right now so I see some people thinking he is not a legit PG, but more of a combo guard as well. Altho a lot of people said Steph can turn into a Nash-type because of his shooting.

Maybe I'm too high on the guy but I think the potential is there by the end of the season for Jrue to be in that young and good group

Maybe I'm too high on the guy but I think the potential is there by the end of the season for Jrue to be in that young and good group

If you watch Warriors game Curry is definitely a PG. He has great passing ability and great vision..

If you watch Warriors game Curry is definitely a PG. He has great passing ability and great vision..

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

please explain.

To me Steph is stuck in the middle of the positions.  I think if he were a little taller, he'd be a Reggie Miller SG.  The guy can flat out shoot the ball, I just don't know if I would want him guarding CP, Deron, Rose, Westbrook and the like.  But then again, as small as he is, guarding Kobe, Wade, and Vince isn't all that better. 

I just look at him as a guy that is stuck in between positions.  He's a great young player, and I like watchin him but i always feel like he's "out of" position so to speak.  I think if Monta wasn't such a gunner, he could handle the PG role and let Curry play the 2 with more regularity.  But i think Monta would shoot way too damn much in that role, and Steph seems a little more level headed to move the ball around. 

please explain.

To me Steph is stuck in the middle of the positions.  I think if he were a little taller, he'd be a Reggie Miller SG.  The guy can flat out shoot the ball, I just don't know if I would want him guarding CP, Deron, Rose, Westbrook and the like.  But then again, as small as he is, guarding Kobe, Wade, and Vince isn't all that better. 

I just look at him as a guy that is stuck in between positions.  He's a great young player, and I like watchin him but i always feel like he's "out of" position so to speak.  I think if Monta wasn't such a gunner, he could handle the PG role and let Curry play the 2 with more regularity.  But i think Monta would shoot way too damn much in that role, and Steph seems a little more level headed to move the ball around. 

please explain.

i disagree. He's a bad defender right now, but that doesn't make him any less of a PG.

right now, only nash, paul, rondo, and williams run the pick and roll better than him. he's a better passer than the rest of tier 3 according to the KLJ system of PGs. if he didn't play next to a combo guard (and he's the only one that does) i dont think you would call him out of position. because those other guys don't share the duty of bringing up the ball with anyone.

right now, steph turns the rock over too much and isn't a very good ball defender. now that he has some talent at the 4 and a healthy/ conscious biedrins, look for him to put up 19 and 7 all season

please explain.

i disagree. He's a bad defender right now, but that doesn't make him any less of a PG.

right now, only nash, paul, rondo, and williams run the pick and roll better than him. he's a better passer than the rest of tier 3 according to the KLJ system of PGs. if he didn't play next to a combo guard (and he's the only one that does) i dont think you would call him out of position. because those other guys don't share the duty of bringing up the ball with anyone.

right now, steph turns the rock over too much and isn't a very good ball defender. now that he has some talent at the 4 and a healthy/ conscious biedrins, look for him to put up 19 and 7 all season

if he didn't play next to a combo guard (and he's the only one thatdoes) i dont think you would call him out of position. because thoseother guys don't share the duty of bringing up the ball with anyone.
Conversely, he does share ball-handling duties with someone much more than any other starting point guard, and he still turns the ball over a ton.

if he didn't play next to a combo guard (and he's the only one thatdoes) i dont think you would call him out of position. because thoseother guys don't share the duty of bringing up the ball with anyone.
Conversely, he does share ball-handling duties with someone much more than any other starting point guard, and he still turns the ball over a ton.

Back
Top Bottom