The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League | USA VS South Sudan at 3 ET on Fox

I really wish we could normalize 'comes off as...' being replaced with 'to me it means that it is....'

-foe

I honestly dont know of a white nba player that's as articulate :lol: off the top of my head. If I did probably woulda say the same thing about them though.

Question, if someone calls you articulate or well spoken, you wouldnt take it as a compliment?
Nah, I’d absolutely be insulted. The historical context of the phrase is demeaning. I’m a Ivy League educated person and have a JD/MBA from an elite school. I’m obviously articulate and well spoken. Most Black people don’t make it this far without that. :lol: It’s basically a given.

Not you tryna control type patterns.
If a person says 'Purple' and someone else says 'I know you secretly mean red', isn't the 2nd person the one trying to control the type pattern there?

People are taking 'comes off as' to mean 'is', no flex, no discussion. Isn't THAT controlling? 👀

-foe

I really wish we could normalize 'comes off as...' being replaced with 'to me it means that it is....'

-foe
But it’s a historical context behind it. It doesn’t just come off to me that way. Obviously other Black people have similar experiences with the phrase and even B Sox B Sox knew it was offensive. You could just use opportunities like these as a way to learn instead of what it is that you normally do.

Had a higher up tell me I was smart and I was offended
I remember I finally met the owner of the last company I worked for, she was based in Nor Cal so we only saw each other on Slack calls

We had an event in Vegas at the Convention Center and she had audacity to tell me "you surprised me this weekend" during a quick break

I looked at her in complete bewilderment. Older white lady who for sure didn't mean any harm by it but still. I felt offended as hell and I knew I might not be there for long. I wasn't, I only stayed for like 3 months lol

Few things irritate and anger me more when I've been told I'm well spoken, articulate or you carry yourself well by a non black person. The 🤡 that do it in interviews... literally just be sitting there with the stoneface. Like what were you expecting?

I remember I finally met the owner of the last company I worked for, she was based in Nor Cal so we only saw each other on Slack calls

We had an event in Vegas at the Convention Center and she had audacity to tell me "you surprised me this weekend" during a quick break

I looked at her in complete bewilderment. Older white lady who for sure didn't mean any harm by it but still. I felt offended as hell and I knew I might not be there for long. I wasn't, I only stayed for like 3 months lol

Yeah I’m reserved when it comes to this corporate stuff and I definitely don’t look like the role either. I had to make a presentation and people were legit shocked. My thinking is “why would expect anything different? You see where we work”

You could just use opportunities like these as a way to learn instead of what it is that you normally do.
Bold assumption.

robotic compliance =/= learning
learning =/= robotic compliance

Learning can hold the same space as questions. Just because questions are asked doesn't mean there was no learning, unless 'Shut the **** up and comply, no questions' is the expected result.

-foe

I'm not sure of the historical context of it. I'm not even white like that nor was I born here.

To me I always viewed it as a compliment. It also matters who is saying it. I grew up in Lefrak (projects in Queens) so any time we gave up compliments to each other regarding education, intelligence, being well spoken, articulate, w.e even to this day, no one ever took offense to it.

So to me, this is a surprise. I'm not sure what communities B Sox B Sox grew up in, but def learned something new today.

What video was this? The block and then layup (should have dunked it) over Grant on the other end?

He had 2 of the most polite dunks I ever seen early in the game too. The one when he got caught in the air and threw it off the back iron to himself and lightly dunked it would have been sick if he did it with some bass in his voice

His whole highlights from the game, I dunno why it says video unavailable

If a person says 'Purple' and someone else says 'I know you secretly mean red', isn't the 2nd person the one trying to control the type pattern there?

People are taking 'comes off as' to mean 'is', no flex, no discussion. Isn't THAT controlling? 👀

-foe
“Comes off as” is inherently opinionated. There’s no questioning that. It literally means “what I see I read as” so it’s always a unique lens i.e. not yours.

It’s up to everyone else to recognize it.

Bold assumption.

Learning can hold the same space as questions. Just because questions are asked doesn't mean there was no learning, unless 'Shut the **** up and comply, no questions' is the expected result.

-foe
It is truly a skill that you can type out so many words but say absolutely nothing at the same damn time

Few things irritate and anger me more when I've been told I'm well spoken, articulate or you carry yourself well by a non black person. The 🤡 that do it in interviews... literally just be sitting there with the stoneface. Like what were you expecting?
I hate the "you are so articulate" **** too

White people say telling me that nonsense, and stay being bewildered when I tell them not to.

Implied in that supposed comment is that majority of black people are not well spoken, are not articulate. That some who some speaking in complete sentences and making cogent arguments is an outlier in the black community.

Which is nonsense.

Bold assumption.

-foe
If you think that trying not to offend Black folks in this context is “robotic compliance” or any of this has involved shut the **** up and comply, no questions asked” then you’re projecting more of your own views on me.

Pointing out why something has been historically offensive to a marginalized group of people =/= any of that nonsense that you just said. And ballinsam23 ballinsam23 seems to be actually trying to learn as he didn’t understand, while I don’t even know what your goal is here.

It is truly a skill that you can type out so many words but say absolutely nothing at the same damn time
1668532220381.gif

Mans really sitting there like this while he types this nonsense :lol:

It’s funny that Jaylen Brown is clearly one of the smartest guys in the league and went without an agent all these years to hand over his representation to an agency headed by Antonio Brown LOL.

Jaylen Brown’s had an agent for the past 3-4 years now.

Donda was supposed to be a “marketing” agency. They weren’t going to be representing him or Aaron Donald in actual NBA/NFL dealings.

I hate the "you are so articulate" **** too

White people say telling me that nonsense, and stay being bewildered when I tell them not to.

Implied in that supposed comment is that majority of black people are not well spoken, are not articulate. That some who some speaking in complete sentences and making cogent arguments is an outlier in the black community.

Which is nonsense.

And let’s not get started, on the cringe Ebonics/terrible-forced, what they think Aave is…when them folks Trying to relate.

Had to tell some folks about themselves a couple times. Needless to say, I was up outta there :lol: :smh:

Being one of the only black folks in corporate settings really weighs on you. Especially when you try to remain, you. And everybody else just can’t/won’t be or do them. Let’s just communicate how we communicate. It really doesn’t have to be hard.

I need to hit a lick. Closer and closer to QYDJ! Word to kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc 🗣

Back
Top Bottom