The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League

Sengun stock going 📈

20230405_071511.jpg

I really hate that NBA coaches don't wear suits.

what purpose does it really serve? at the end of the day, these are just “grown men playing a child’s game.” the pomp and circumstance of sideline-suits is an unnecessary and antiquated expectation. if a coach wants to wear what they’re comfortable in, why not?

Might be
what purpose does it really serve? at the end of the day, these are just “grown men playing a child’s game.” the pomp and circumstance of sideline-suits is an unnecessary and antiquated expectation. if a coach wants to wear what they’re comfortable in, why not?

How much does coaches wearing/not wearing suits add or subtract from your viewing pleasure? Honest question.

He is not being serious. This is just a heat check for his abilities as a chaos agent.

at the end of the day, these are just “grown men playing a child’s game.” the pomp and circumstance of sideline-suits is an unnecessary and antiquated expectation. if a coach wants to wear what they’re comfortable in, why not?

exactly, and sports distracts by the inherent silliness of this concept...by treating it seriously.
the pomp and circumstance adds seriousness and stakes to the proceedings.

If we are against "the pomp and circumstance"by that logic,

why introduce the players, why have statues of players? why retire numbers, why do teams represent cities?

shouldn't we just get rid of it all and it just be Millionaire Sporting Club 1 vs. Millionaire Sporting Club 2?

How much does coaches wearing/not wearing suits add or subtract from your viewing pleasure? Honest question.

hard to put a number on it, it's an overall feeling and aesthetic.

like if they changed the basketball announcers to JR and Jerry "The King" Lawler how much would it really detract? It's still the same basketball?

imo part of why pro sports work is that it feels serious. and they do a lot of work to make you feel like it's serious.

from the presentation, to the announcers, to the uniforms, to things like
retiring jerseys, building statues, representing cities.

if it's just millionaires playing a kids game, it's not as compelling.

and I think the coaches just wearing athleisure just detracts from the seriousness a bit.
and the coaches have less of a personality as a result.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about the all NBA,
it's highly unserious to have an all nba "team" that can be like 4 guards and a forward.

and it also doesn't treat the past history of the award with the appropriate level of esteem.

Coaches should really be in jerseys and shorts. Uniform attire like baseball.

I think that expectation comes from the fact that baseball has a much longer history of "Player-Managers" than basketball going back to the 1800's

also prob because basketball is in an indoor sport,
I think the expectations of suits was more sticky than outdoor sports.

:lol: @ Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler doing NBA games. That was funny.

But I get your reasoning as to why it matters to you. I just don't think it's important nor do I think it takes anything away from the presentation ( or seriousness ) of the game.

We can agree to disagree though.

:lol: @ Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler doing NBA games. That was funny.

But I get your reasoning as to why it matters to you. I just don't think it's important nor do I think it takes anything away from the presentation ( or seriousness ) of the game.

We can agree to disagree though.

WWE actually has always gotten this intuitively, some things can be goofy but...
The ring announcers wear suits, the refs wear uniforms, commentators wear suits,

Like don't you think it would detract from things if Paul Heyman was managing in athleisure? :lol:

5015E29C-9FDB-4BCF-9FAA-EDEF89AE6724.jpeg

Job taken care of w/ 45 wins as expected.

But 49 is very possible too.

And Thibs will not concede any games just to get guys rest unless absolutely necessary.

50+ next year fasho w/ health and continuity.

Im good on coaches wearing suits but i feel like we should have to see potential gms shoot a jump shot before taking the job. If that opposite back leg moves even a centimeter they gotta find a different line of work

I feel the same way about the all NBA,
it's highly unserious to have an all nba "team" that can be like 4 guards and a forward.

and it also doesn't treat the past history of the award with the appropriate level of esteem.
Just take the word "team" out of it.

Just take the word "team" out of it.

a team has more prestige than 5 random players.
It has the 50 year history of the award, and it makes more intuitive sense.

the team concept has the pomp and circumstance, top 5 players just feels like an arbitrary cut off point.

Back
Top Bottom