The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by bittersweet

B/W FILM.
Anyone else shoot film?

I do. 
I gotta shoot digital to pay bills and to eat but other than that I'm shooting films all day. Been doing it for almost decade and will do it as long as films and darkrooms are around. No doubt. Can't beat it. 
pimp.gif

Dope car PhotoShop man.

To the person who was asking about macro shots you don't need a dslr for crisp pictures. Actually, there's a well respected wedding photographer who was using either a Canon G10 or G11 for shots of the wedding rings because it was easier, faster and the pictures were still high quality.

Does anyone have any tips in shooting digitally in black and white? For those that do shoot black and white photos, do you shoot photos normally and then in post-production you change them to black and white? Any help would be great.

Originally Posted by parasight21

Originally Posted by bittersweet

B/W FILM.
Anyone else shoot film?

I do. 
I gotta shoot digital to pay bills and to eat but other than that I'm shooting films all day. Been doing it for almost decade and will do it as long as films and darkrooms are around. No doubt. Can't beat it. 
pimp.gif

I am on a skateboard forum and most of those guys shoot film as apposed to digital. There is one guy in particular that shoots some awesome stuff. He just posted these portraits the other day:

96851744.jpg

22232616.jpg

70227817.jpg

unbenannt8n.png

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Does anyone have any tips in shooting digitally in black and white? For those that do shoot black and white photos, do you shoot photos normally and then in post-production you change them to black and white? Any help would be great.

For digital, I just shoot everything in color then if I want to convert them in black and white, I do that during post production (with PS or lightroom). It just gives me more room to work with. You just simply cannot go from Grayscale to RGB but RGB to Grayscale, you can do that.

LiveMyReality wrote:

For digital, I just shoot everything in color then if I want to convert them in black and white, I do that during post production (with PS or lightroom). It just gives me more room to work with. You just simply cannot go from Grayscale to RGB but RGB to Grayscale, you can do that.

I agree to a certain extent. It is nice to have an option to go from color to b/w rather then just having black and white and no color at all. But if you are really out there to shoot strictly b/w, I say just change your camera to monochrome and shoot that way. Reason why is there is a difference in shooting in b/w over color. To me, you somewhat have to overexpose your shots in b/w to get more harsher blacks and lighter whites. Sometimes when you shoot in color and convert to grayscale, it just doesn't look right.

I mean you can always photoshop all your pictures to correct the exposure so I am not even sure if I am making a valid argument, but if you don't have photoshop or lightroom, then just shoot straight monochrome from the start. Also (with my Nikon anyways), there are setting for contrast, sharpness, etc to help with your b/w pics that almost makes it where you don't have to photoshop anything at all.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

LiveMyReality wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. It is nice to have an option to go from color to b/w rather then just having black and white and no color at all. But if you are really out there to shoot strictly b/w, I say just change your camera to monochrome and shoot that way. Reason why is there is a difference in shooting in b/w over color. To me, you somewhat have to overexpose your shots in b/w to get more harsher blacks and lighter whites. Sometimes when you shoot in color and convert to grayscale, it just doesn't look right.

I mean you can always photoshop all your pictures to correct the exposure so I am not even sure if I am making a valid argument, but if you don't have photoshop or lightroom, then just shoot straight monochrome from the start. Also (with my Nikon anyways), there are setting for contrast, sharpness, etc to help with your b/w pics that almost makes it where you don't have to photoshop anything at all.
Nothing beats BW film though, it's very very hard to fake the tones you get from film.. And - nothing to post process either
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

To me, you somewhat have to overexpose your shots in b/w to get more harsher blacks and lighter whites. Sometimes when you shoot in color and convert to grayscale, it just doesn't look right. 

This is a perfect explanation... I hate converting color stuff to b/w cuz it isnt black and white, its black and grey.. I prefer to shot in monochrome and adjust contrasts and exposures to get just the right b/w tone.

i do photography as a hobby but now im thinkin bout goin into cinemtography.. whats your guys take on the movie mode on the t2i?
also i know someone selling a t2i with 2k actuations for 600bucks.. is this a good deal peeps?

Back
Top Bottom