The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Give the kids disposables bro, you gonna spend a pretty penny just so that kids can play....

Yeah, but it's more of an instant gratification thing for the kids...
They're so used to digital photography/posting pics to FB, they'll think Polaroids are the coolest thing ever.

Help needed...
I'm getting married in March & my fiance wants to have a few polaroid cameras for the kids to shoot with.
1 - Is this feasible?
2 - Best place to find reasonably-priced polaroids? Ebay?
3 - What model should I use?
4 - Polaroid film?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You probably already know this, but Polaroid (as we knew it) discontinued their pack films. The only people producing traditional instant film are Fujifilm and the Impossible Project.

Fujifilm makes pack film for Polaroid land cameras. The cameras are pretty cheap(either the older models with bellows or the nonfolding plastic body ones). The film for these are reasonably priced ranging from $8 to $13 bucks depending on where you purchase. The only downside to buying these are the cameras may be too advanced for the kids. Most of them are rangefinders so that may be too much work for children to shoot with without someone helping them. The nonfolding ones would be easier though.

There's also the popular Polaroid 600 cameras. They're super easy to use, come with built in flash, and is probably the most well known Polaroid camera. The cameras themselves are pretty cheap(not buying the IP bundles), but the pack film gets a bit pricey. Expired Polaroid brand 600 packs are running close to $50 and more on eBay, plus you're buying at your own risk. The Impossible Project, they produce different types of film for Polaroid cameras, also has a lot of stock, but is again pricey($30+) and is crap quality IMO.

There is also the Fuji Instax cameras to choose from. They're cute, pretty kid friendly, and easy to use. Fuji produces the pack film for these. I think they run under $20 for the film and $70+ for the actual camera.

If money is an issue, your best bet would be to go with the Polaroid land camera and fujifilm instant pack films(Fp-100 or Fp-3000). You just have to find the correct cameras, make sure they function properly, and take the time to teach the kids.

If money isn't such a big deal, I'd pick the Fuji Instax cameras. They're much easier to come by and film is plentiful.

Which Lens would you recommend ?

(Canon)

18-135mm
or
28-135mm ?

I'm looking for a convenient everyday lens and in need of a decision on which to get between these two

Last edited:
My uncle did the disposable camera thing and it came out horrible. For the most part, no one wants to take photos and almost everyone can't shoot worth a damn, even when there is no focusing required. The Polaroid thing would be so expensive. Might as well get them all cheap point and shoots if they want instant gratification. Personally I think the photobooth is fine and all ages love that thing.

Some shots from tonight. More tourist stuff but I didn't shoot at all this weekend and Alamo Square is literally blocks away from me:

house-1b.jpg

Last edited:
My uncle did the disposable camera thing and it came out horrible. For the most part, no one wants to take photos and almost everyone can't shoot worth a damn, even when there is no focusing required. The Polaroid thing would be so expensive. Might as well get them all cheap point and shoots if they want instant gratification. Personally I think the photobooth is fine and all ages love that thing.

Some shots from tonight. More tourist stuff but I didn't shoot at all this weekend and Alamo Square is literally blocks away from me:

house-1b.jpg

Nice! Is that a little post editing on the sky in the second pic?

Nice! Is that a little post editing on the sky in the second pic?

No. There was some milky clouds/fog last night. Plus the city lights must have lit it up a bunch.

And for the first time I shot RAW last night (I know....late) and I honestly didn't think it was that much better then the Jpegs. Actually in comparison, the Jpegs were more true to the color I wanted but the RAW files did pick up some details in the sky. As for the gradient issues that I face with sometimes, they seem to be somewhat the same.

A friend let me borrow a D5000 for a week. First time using a DSLR in months.

I went to Coit Tower after living in the city for a year.

I am wondering how people do on foot shoe shots? Do they just use the timer? How do you get in focus though? 

I have been working on this. I just can't seem to perfect it. 

Example: 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom