The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Well as a primary you want to hire a second that is close enough to your style of shooting so the final product you hand your clients is seamless, if you hire a second and his pictures turn out crappy, I wouldn't hand my clients any of their work, as a main you shouldn't rely too much on your second and still treat a wedding as if you are shooting it alone....the only shots I rely on my second heavy is the groom getting ready, which usually the couple don't really make an issue of anyways.
Pretty much. Unless you showed your client that second's work and they signed off on it, the primary is responsible for all photos taken by him and the second. And I'd def keep any unworthy pictures out of my clients hands and def would try to avoid adivising who took the picture because at the end of the day I hired the second to help me so his work is my work

To my knowledge, I think they were kids though. Not that being a kid matters in shooting but from a business aspect, I think one shooter just couldn't handle it all and brought his friend along to help out with things cause I guess he has an DLSR. I think they charged like a little under $900 for the wedding so I guess it is what it is at this point since that is considered a good deal. Better than what my brother paid which was $6K for total crap but they did end up with like 400-500 photos. God damn Chinese weddings man. It's a whole day worth of work.

Need some help guys. A friend asked me to take pictures of him and the company he works for (~10 people totoal). They want to use it for their website a different he asked me how much I charge since the company will be paying for it. Now I've never done a paid gig before and I was going to do it for free since they only want 10 or so pictures maybe less and it won't take an hour or more so I was wondering how much would you guys ask for in a situation like this. I figured since I could get some money out of it I might as well. Any suggestions?

Need some help guys. A friend asked me to take pictures of him and the company he works for (~10 people totoal). They want to use it for their website a different he asked me how much I charge since the company will be paying for it. Now I've never done a paid gig before and I was going to do it for free since they only want 10 or so pictures maybe less and it won't take an hour or more so I was wondering how much would you guys ask for in a situation like this. I figured since I could get some money out of it I might as well. Any suggestions?
Minimum $50/hr I would suggest. Or if you feel like that maybe too much you can ask them to pay you what you feel your work is worth which may end up being more than what you could request.

What kind of company? If it's a super corporate one, take them for all their worth! Haha.

I saw a flier on the wall the other day at a coffee shop for a photographer. He charged $170 an hour for a session but included digital files and prints. You can definitely get a $100 for it but I almost feel like you can get more if it is a specific company. I got asked to do a company party at my old work. They wanted to give me $300 or so to shoot drunk people. Since I hated my boss, I said no. Haha.

To my knowledge, I think they were kids though. Not that being a kid matters in shooting but from a business aspect, I think one shooter just couldn't handle it all and brought his friend along to help out with things cause I guess he has an DLSR. I think they charged like a little under $900 for the wedding so I guess it is what it is at this point since that is considered a good deal. Better than what my brother paid which was $6K for total crap but they did end up with like 400-500 photos. God damn Chinese weddings man. It's a whole day worth of work.
makes sense. and 900 is a pretty good price for a wedding. I am glad I know a few young upstart photographers who I can book for my wedding/reception

What kind of company? If it's a super corporate one, take them for all their worth! Haha.

I saw a flier on the wall the other day at a coffee shop for a photographer. He charged $170 an hour for a session but included digital files and prints. You can definitely get a $100 for it but I almost feel like you can get more if it is a specific company. I got asked to do a company party at my old work. They wanted to give me $300 or so to shoot drunk people. Since I hated my boss, I said no. Haha.

I'd say it's a medium sized company nothing huge but they don't want prints just digitals for the site. They may want prints in the future but they said they will print it themselves with the digitals. I might just go with $50 but I feel like that's too much since it won't be anything special just a white background but I'll see what he says. Was thinking of having them cover gas expenses as well since it's an hour away.

Definitely include the gas. I'd say just ask for a $100 and just tell them take includes gas to get there. And you could even tell them that includes touching up the photos and excess work on the photos. And even if it is just group shots, make the whole shoot lengthy and professional. Break out the tripod and what not to make it where it wasn't just a simple shoot. And shoot different locations. Don't just rely on one wall. Ask whoever if you can shoot indoor, outdoor, etc.

Saw this blog post about shooting stuff like that. Didn't read all of it but try and use window light if you can: http://photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-corporate-portraits

There is a ton of videos on stuff too.

^Thank you!!! Will definitely check out that video when I get a chance but thanks for the tips also, might as well bring out the tripod, didn't even think about that lol. Appreciate it Fong! Repped.

Just got my lens filter in for my 17-40

Anyone else use this that can shed any light on how good it'll be when it comes to adding a pop and diffusing sun rays.

Tokes, those landscapes are amazing. What were your settings? Mind doing a before and after with the post processing?

thanks, i use a manual lens and i'm not super diligent about recording/remembering the apertures for pictures, these were mostly long exposures though:

befores (uncropped) & afters:

i love using this lens is a 12mm ultrawide on my full frame & 18mm on my crop camera, with not too much distortion, but on full frame it vignettes crazy, color shifts pretty heavily, & smears details in the corners/edges a bit, but the lens is pretty compact and being so wide i rarely have to focus with it

sunrise piering by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

i use my cellie(it has an ir blaster) as a trigger for my camera, seen prominently here in this photo before it was cropped:

(ultra) wider is better by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

didn't have a tripod for this one so i believe this is with the camera placed on a rock ledge, hence the slanted horizon:

sunset remasterd by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Just got my lens filter in for my 17-40

Anyone else use this that can shed any light on how good it'll be when it comes to adding a pop and diffusing sun rays.

as far as i know a uv filter doesn't really do too much that would be noticeable for most situations...

Haven't shared something in a while

This is beautiful. Probably my favorite shot of yours to date.

Thanks man! I like it a lot also, only thing that's bothering me is the green isn't the same shade near the emblem.

I'm getting nervous now about this portrait shoot now. I don't have a backdrop, softbox, or lights and from everything that I'm reading online this is what many photographers use.

This is probably going to be the shoot location, get some of that light in from the sun:

I don't want to get all the details in the wall so that's my main concern right now but I have a week to practice at home.

tokes99 tokes99 Awesome job editing! I like how you posted the before/after, I always enjoy those.

Last edited:
Find a clean wall (with nothing on it ie nails, outlets, etc) and use that as a background. Using the wall behind you (from the perspecitve of where you took the pic) the window will provide natural light from the right and you can use a fash to rid some of shadows on the right (which would be easy to do with an external flash but can still be done with a on camera flash)

I hope this translated well but I'll show some pics of the lil 'studio' i'm setting up for pics for our baby shower when I get back

Good stuff man. Gonna throw some of my old stuff in LR and see what I can pull out of it.

if you are shooting raw, you'll be able to get quite a bit, i been messing around trying to shoot stars at night with all the city light pollution & it is CRAZY how much these cameras can "see" when in raw, allows you to make decisions you just could not do straight out of the camera...

Last edited:
I'm getting nervous now about this portrait shoot now. I don't have a backdrop, softbox, or lights and from everything that I'm reading online this is what many photographers use.

I don't want to get all the details in the wall so that's my main concern right now but I have a week to practice at home.

What lens will you be shooting with? do you have an external or on camera flash?

Last edited:
It's a group photo right? I guess you'd have to shoot wide since the room looks small.

Just watch out how you light your subjects. You could get some harsh shadows depending on what is in the office. I am almost positive that this company isn't expecting much so all this research is really just good knowledge for yourself. Luckily this can be easily practiced at home.

tokes99 
pimp.gif

thanks for the tips on my last post. watched a couple of youtube videos but still have no idea what im doing lol.

have to say its pretty fun  getting on your bike with a couple friends, beers and finding spots to chill and shoot.

can i get a decent tripod for bout 50-100? 

last nights mission...

What lens will you be shooting with? do you have an external or on camera flash?

I only have two right now, the 24-105mm and 28mm so I was probably going to bring the 24-105mm. I don't have an external flash so I might have to borrow one from my friend but if I'm not able to then I might just position at an angle so their isn't a reflection on the wall.

It's a group photo right? I guess you'd have to shoot wide since the room looks small.

Just watch out how you light your subjects. You could get some harsh shadows depending on what is in the office. I am almost positive that this company isn't expecting much so all this research is really just good knowledge for yourself. Luckily this can be easily practiced at home.

They want one group photo and one headshot per person. There's actually only six people so I'm not sure how they'll fit in that room. There is a larger wall that they have but there aren't any windows nearby so the light from the ceilings is all I'll have to work with. I'll see if my friend will let me borrow his flash and I'll mess around with it but since this is my first time I don't want to disappoint especially since it's a paid shoot. Thanks for the info guys, it really helps me a lot since I'm not used to shooting people. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom