The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

It's almost a given now a days to have spots on a sensor. I almost learn to just live with it even after I clean it and still see spots. It's almost impossible to get everything off of it. I just fix it all in post.

It's almost a given now a days to have spots on a sensor. I almost learn to just live with it even after I clean it and still see spots. It's almost impossible to get everything off of it. I just fix it all in post.

Yeah i agree. It doesnt bother me much but i just havent noticed this particular spot much so it caught my attention. I think ill get the rocket blower and clean it everyonce in awhile and it should be fine. If anything is tnere that still bothers me i can fix it in post

Last edited:
This is my first time posting in this thread. I went on a little instagram hiatus but I will be updating it more frequently now.

Awesome work by everyone in here who contributes to this thread and also very helpful information being posted :pimp:

if anyone cares to check out more of my work IG: asa.el

Last edited:
Pretty much how I feel especially with hundreds of photos. It's the least of my problems. :lol:

alamere-falls-1.png
alamere-falls-2.png
alamere-falls-5.png
alamere-falls-6.png
alamere-falls-4.png

Whats good fellas...

Been looking to pick up a camera for a while now.........just never got around to actually buying one.

I borrowed a friends T5 for my sisters graduation last week and definitely want to a pick up a camera now.

Where would be a good place to pick up some good gear? new or used.....don't really matter.

Any help would be much appreciated.
nerd.gif

Whats good fellas...

Been looking to pick up a camera for a while now.........just never got around to actually buying one.

I borrowed a friends T5 for my sisters graduation last week and definitely want to a pick up a camera now.

Where would be a good place to pick up some good gear? new or used.....don't really matter.

Any help would be much appreciated. :nerd:

photography-on-the.net
ebay
craigslist
buydig
adorama
amazon

Might be doing a graduation photoshoot soon. Thinking about renting a lens for my T2i. Any recommendations? Looking at primes since I do have a 17-50mm from Tamron. Only primes I have are the 24mm pancake and the 50mm 1.8.

Anyone here have the 50mm 1.2?

Whats good fellas...

Any help would be much appreciated. :nerd:

photography-on-the.net
ebay
craigslist
buydig
adorama
amazon

Might be doing a graduation photoshoot soon. Thinking about renting a lens for my T2i. Any recommendations? Looking at primes since I do have a 17-50mm from Tamron. Only primes I have are the 24mm pancake and the 50mm 1.8.

For portraiture i'd highly recommend the 70-200 2.8L II. The compression on longer lenses is very flattering on people.

Since you did ask about primes, then i'd recommend the 135 2L.

Typically, for portraiture, the longer lenses are "better" because of the compression you get when filling the frame.

Filling the frame with 50 or less mm tends to lend itself to an unflattering look in comparison to using longer lenses.

You can still get phenomenal results from using 50 or less, dont get me wrong.

photography-on-the.net
ebay
craigslist
buydig
adorama
amazon

I own the 50L and love it. I acquired it at the same time as my 35L and those two lenses along with the 135L gave me a true appreciation for prime lenses. I don't know if it's just me, although I read other people make the same comment, but images from the 50L just have a different "look" to them.

Most people will say that the Sigma 50 Art is a better value and overall better lens than the 50L at this point though. While I don't own that lens, the consistent complaint I hear about the Sigma Art series lenses is auto focus accuracy.

I agree with djyoung08 djyoung08 about the 70-200 2.8L II however. That is truly a phenomenal lens from all aspects; it's sharp, auto focus is quick and accurate and the images you can get out of that thing are just fire.

Last edited:
I wish the canon L primes were a lot less expensive. UUHHGGGGG!!! :rofl:

I feel you on that :x

I think this is one reason why the Sigma Art series primes are getting so much love; I don't think any of their primes are more than $949.

The 100L and 135L are "cheap" comparatively speaking, but still expensive.

I've been wanting the 85L for some time now, but even used ones are going for $1400-$1500 :x

Last edited:
I'll consider the 70-200 ..

I've honestly never shot past 50mm on a crop :lol:

So zooms are kinda new to me.

What are the differences between I and II?

Last edited:
Some quick headshots for a friend. Used a white wall in my place and a off-camera yongnuo flash + a large neweer diffuser. 

so far the $70 yongnuo, in terms of sheer performance, matches the nikon speed light that I use for work. Excellent value and i'd recommend it to anyone looking into dipping their toes into off camera lighting setups. 

Last edited:

Overall sharpness is a little better on the II

Contrast / saturation is much better on the II

Autofocus is a bit faster on the II (less applicable to standard portraiture)

IMO going from shooting prime to shooting a high end zoom is fine. Select the focal length you'd like to shoot at and treat it like a prime. Use your feet to adjust the frame, not the zoom ring. Select the focal length before setting up the shot just like you would with a prime. Don't let that zoom ring make you lazy.

I wish the canon L primes were a lot less expensive. UUHHGGGGG!!! :rofl:

I feel you on that :x

I think this is one reason why the Sigma Art series primes are getting so much love; I don't think any of their primes are more than $949.

The 100L and 135L are "cheap" comparatively speaking, but still expensive.

I've been wanting the 85L for some time now, but even used ones are going for $1400-$1500 :x

I'm thinking im going to get the 100mm macro USM version instead of the L... they're going around for like $400 :wow:. I've borrowed a photographer friend's a few times for ring detail shots at weddings and its incredibly sharp.

135L might be after a second body, but I really lust after the bokeh on the 85L.... like a lot :lol: But 2k :wow: :wow: :x

I'm thinking im going to get the 100mm macro USM version instead of the L... they're going around for like $400 :wow:. I've borrowed a photographer friend's a few times for ring detail shots at weddings and its incredibly sharp.

135L might be after a second body, but I really lust after the bokeh on the 85L.... like a lot :lol: But 2k :wow: :wow: :x

$400 is a great price! And I've heard nothing but good things about that lens too.

What are you looking at for a second body :nerd:

You're going to have to scoop up the Holdfast Moneymaker once you start dual wielding out there!

Tamron just released an 85mm lens, but I still lust for the 85L :wow:

Soon...

Last edited:

$400 is a great price! And I've heard nothing but good things about that lens too.

What are you looking at for a second body :nerd:

You're going to have to scoop up the Holdfast Moneymaker once you start dual wielding out there!

Tamron just released an 85mm lens, but I still lust for the 85L :wow:

Soon...

5d mark 3. I currently shoot a mark 2... although by the time i have enough money saved up, a new version of the 5d may be released by canon and i'd be more prone to copping the current generation.

I have canon's 85mm 1.8 USM and i'll take that over tamron's 85mm 1.8 VC. Honestly, if you cant hand hold a dinky 85mm lens, you should consider improving technique versus shelling out $$$ to compensate for bad technique :lol:

Of course, thats just my 2 cents.

I want that 85 L to shoot at 1.2... LAAAWWWWD :pimp:

5d mark 3. I currently shoot a mark 2... although by the time i have enough money saved up, a new version of the 5d may be released by canon and i'd be more prone to copping the current generation.

I have canon's 85mm 1.8 USM and i'll take that over tamron's 85mm 1.8 VC. Honestly, if you cant hand hold a dinky 85mm lens, you should consider improving technique versus shelling out $$$ to compensate for bad technique :lol:

Mark 3 :pimp:

But yeah, the Mark 4 should be dropping this year I think.

The 85 1.8 is another great value lens. I scooped that up early on and loved it.

Apparently Sigma's 85 Art should be announced soon.

Any thoughts on the Art series line up?

Mark 3 :pimp:

But yeah, the Mark 4 should be dropping this year I think.

The 85 1.8 is another great value lens. I scooped that up early on and loved it.

Apparently Sigma's 85 Art should be announced soon.

Any thoughts on the Art series line up?

Expensive af and it seems like a lot of people sponsored by sigma to use them really love them.

IMO if im gonna go outside of canon to by a lens it better be cheap af in comparison to the canon version.

I've shot a few tamron lenses when I was on a nikon crop camera and had no complaints. I shot 17-50 2.8 VC and 70-200 2.8 VC. Got them both for extremely cheap.

I just dont see the value in the sigma art lenses. Just save up gig money from 1 or 2 more jobs and get the canon big brother IMO.

I wish Nikon would release a 135mm lens

Heard Sigma will release a 85mm 1.4 Art lens this August

Last edited:

The 70-200 on a crop would be OD imo. You'd have the hardest time framing stuff within a confined space. Sigma has that 50-100mm that just came out which would be the equivalent (or close) to a 70-200. The lens is new though but Borrow Lens has it:

https://www.borrowlenses.com/Advanc...igma+50-100mm+f/1.8+DC+HSM+Art+Lens+for+Canon

Heard Sigma will release a 85mm 1.4 Art lens this August

That is what I am interested to see. I love the Canon 85mm f/1.2 but that thing is super hard to focus in low light. Even the 50mm L is a gift and a curse when it comes to focus. I was shooting with mine yesterday with some fog in air and it would hunt like crazy even though the sun was pretty much out. I guess it just has a hard time nailing it's subject matter when there are so many elements to look at (or lack of). Honestly I personally wouldn't recommend that lens just more so cause for the price, the 3rd party ones are just as good or even better.

crop factor wont change the compression the longer lens will give you if you use a shorter lens.

If you have the space, use the longer lens. so much more flattering.

If anything, the negative effect of distortion on short lenses is worse on crop sensors because you're just cropping into the middle of the lens where the negative distortion on short lenses is most prominent

Back
Top Bottom