The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

This was a son of a gun to shoot cause you do have to shoot with a open aperture but you also need to focus on the right spots since not everything will be in focus with that setting. I literally had to take 10 shots in some views to get that one good one. But what I did that helped was live view focusing. On my camera anyways, there is a magnify button and you can manually focus on the subject that you need the most focus on. The bad thing is you have such a thin area where if you move back or forth, you subject will be out of focus even after you focused on it.

Also what I did to help stabilize the camera is use my strap around my neck to sort of lock the camera in place. Kind of like the guy below but minus the tripod. It's tough but you have to do with what you have to do.

7975930_f520.jpg

I think I was hitting about 1600-2000 on ISO. I didn't want to go any higher cause with shots like this, things can get ugly with so much info in the pic. I think at most I hit a full second or so. If I had my tripod, I'd be making post cards left and right but I guess that is why it's permitted. Also this was all shot at 24mm. Id' imagine at 16mm or lower, it would have been even more epic.

Great tips man :smokin

Slowly editing my photos from NYC from the past days. Got to shoot some but not a whole days worth since I was there for work. This was on top of the Empire State Building. All shot handheld since you can't bring tripods to the top. More to come.

big-city-of-dreams-1.png
big-city-of-dreams-2.png
you couldn't take tripods? I thought they just didn't Lt you set up, but you could use it as a monopod. But that's pretty impressive for handheld, what was your ISO at?

^^^^^^^I was at ISO 16000-2000 range. I shot some at f.2.8-3.5 I think. And they literally took my tripod during when you are in line at the metal detectors. When I came down to get it, I saw like 8 tripos lying there. Maybe it's s new policy but it's definitely enforced. I'd imagine it being a pain up there anyways. I went on a Tuesday and there was still a ton of people up there. I can only image during the summer time. It would be impossible having a tripod setup.

Thanks guys for the props. Obviously I would recommend anyone to go to NY just for photography reasons alone. Just so much to shoot out there and I only combed a fraction of it. It's definitely fun times out there.

I had taken this a long time ago but from the top of the rock. Same thing, they didn't let me use the tripod but I still took it up.

^^^^^^^I was at ISO 16000-2000 range. I shot some at f.2.8-3.5 I think. And they literally took my tripod during when you are in line at the metal detectors. When I came down to get it, I saw like 8 tripos lying there. Maybe it's s new policy but it's definitely enforced. I'd imagine it being a pain up there anyways. I went on a Tuesday and there was still a ton of people up there. I can only image during the summer time. It would be impossible having a tripod setup.

Thanks guys for the props. Obviously I would recommend anyone to go to NY just for photography reasons alone. Just so much to shoot out there and I only combed a fraction of it. It's definitely fun times out there.

usually monopods are accepted/cool at these type spots, they don't take up the space a tripod does, easier to move, maneuver around, etc., maybe that isn't the case in nyc though...haven't been up in nyc yet, but when the times i have gone to city observatories i try to find an open spot & put my lens right up on the glass with a little force/pressure to hold the camera in place for longer exposures...

Fong, I checked out your IG and a lot of dope stuff especially from your time here. I just started recently lugging my tripod places (now that the weather here is starting to turn a bit) and yeah the tripod policy is a standard at a lot of places here. Even with that said, the captures at the top of the ESB were crisp and clean. Incredibly steady hands.

Being a rookie with a DSLR, and being a life-time NYker I find myself doing all the touristy things the last year or so considering Ive taken it for advantage in my 30+ years. Nowadays, before I hit a spot/venue Ill look into the camera policies places have.

I became a huge music festival head, and believe it or not many venues here have policies that don't allow DSLRs. Once spring and summer really kick off, Ill have to find a high end P&S to bring to these events.

On another note, anyone here in NYC going to check out the NY Auto Show once it starts (April 3-12 at the Javits)?

^^^^Right on man. I think I just saw your likes. You got some dope stuff too. I feel you on taking photos to venues. I guess they just don't want people making money off of all that stuff. I'd suggest the Sony RX300 if you want a good point and shoot. I'd cop that if I needed a point and shoot.

Here's the rest of my stuff. All night shots and mostly architecture stuff. Didn't really have time to do street photo stuff. Just wanted to get some things that I knew would come out. Pretty much anything that doesn't move. Haha.

big-city-of-dreams-7c.png
big-city-of-dreams-4a.png
big-city-of-dreams-3.jpg
big-city-of-dreams-9.png
big-city-of-dreams-6b.png
big-city-of-dreams-5.png
big-city-of-dreams-8a.png

I think it depends on the venue and who is performing. I don't frequent the Warfield but I have gone in with a DSLR once when seeing the Roots. I had it on my side and no one checked me at all. My coworker even does security at the Warfield and said its a hit and miss. I think it's worth a shot though.

Appreciate the follow on IG Fongstarr, thank you.....

I plan on investing in a 7D and/or a 60D (going for very cheap at the moment....60D although old is a step up from what I am using now and can be had for 450-475 new/325-350 lightly used) sometime this month, but before music festival season hits in full effect (doing EDC NY & Vegas, Governors Island and possibly Electric Zoo) I may invest in an A5100 or A6000. I don't think I will get hassled if carrying any of those two with a shorter lens.

Gonna shower/change and go shooting someplace.....Im bored LOL.

Last edited:
Does anyone use instasize to post on IG or do y'all set your camera to 1:1 so it'll fit on IG without cropping so much of the picture

[COLOR=#red]I'm waiting on the announcement of the Sony A7R mk II. May have a 50MP sensor, some say overkill, but it's supposed to have the 5 axis image stabilization in the camera body like the A7 II does. I'll have my a6000 for all the fast action photography, can't beat that machine gun like 11fps with full 24MP resolution and focusing in between each shot [/color]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]I'm waiting on the announcement of the Sony A7R mk II. May have a 50MP sensor, some say overkill, but it's supposed to have the 5 axis image stabilization in the camera body like the A7 II does. I'll have my a6000 for all the fast action photography, can't beat that machine gun like 11fps with full 24MP resolution and focusing in between each shot [/color]
can you share of your none HDR images? I'm thinking about getting full frame compact camera, but not sold on the lens selection. However, I will like to see what it produce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom