The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I picked up CP during that Target “buy 2 games, get 1 free” deal (bought 3 of them, then cancelled 2 to get it for cheaper). Then on release day I realized that I had already preordered the game through PSN months back :lol:. Issued my request for a refund through Sony yesterday and I’m just going to keep the physical copy. I’ll end up saving $20 and the physical copy comes with some free stuff so that’s cool.
Here are my initial thoughts on the game. Keep in mind I’m only maybe 10 or so hours into it. I’ll put it in a spoiler in case it’s too long
•For all the bugs/glitches/crashes (which thankfully I haven’t had too many), the game is very fun. I don’t find it boring or a chore to play like other open world games can wind up becoming. The shooting is also surprisingly good (other than having to tweak the controls). The guns feel really satisfying.

• the driving is trash. As is the mini map when you’re driving around. I miss my turns all the time then have to awkwardly u-turn down these narrow, corridors like streets.

• this game is nowhere near as immersive as they marketed it out to be IMO. I think one of the reasons for that is the AI. It’s honestly trash. People on the street just feel like filler. They have no lives, no personality, and they all say the same lines. They barely even react to what’s going on sometimes. I was walking down the street and some guy randomly jumped out of a skyscraper window to his death (which I’m pretty sure is a scripted event because I’ve seen it in other peoples playthroughs), and nobody flinched. They didn’t react at all. The AI in this game feels like GTA 3 era AI at times. Just mindless. Anything cool or random that happens in this game feels scripted, and when anything happens outside of that script, the game doesn’t know how to react and it breaks immersion. I saw a guy helping a girl who looked like she was sick (like she was woozy from drinking or something) and when I went to talk to them, she said some random line I had heard maybe a dozen npcs say by that point in the game. Nothing at all about her being sick or wishing she hadn’t drank so much or anything. Why does every npc recycle the same lines using the same ten different voices? I can’t even tell if it’s by lazy design or a bug with the AI lol. Like fam, in RDR2 you could follow an npc for a full in-game day and they would have an actual cycle. You could watch a guy come out of his tent in the morning, hang out in his camp for a while, walk to the bar in the evening, then come back home and go to sleep at night. Even if that was pseudo scripted, it still felt 10x more immersive than the AI in this game.

• CP reminds me of a cross between Destiny and Division, except prettier and with a much better story and side quests. That’s exactly how I play it which is probably why I enjoy it, but also why I’m disappointed :lol:. I wanted deeper RPG elements and I don’t feel we got that. Customization is shallow. There’s no transmog for gear so sometimes you’re stuck looking like a hobo because what you’re wearing has better stats than something else you might think looks cooler, but is lower level. Most of the loot you pick up is just crafting materials, and even then, what is the point of crafting when you can just pick up a better weapon later? Hacking also seems repetitive and lazy, even pointless if you’re doing it for stealth since enemies will always be alerted afterwards no matter how far away you are from them. I don’t even really use it at all anymore.
All in all, the game is fun and I’m enjoying it. I’m just disappointed because I expected more with how it was marketed. We were told this game would be the most immersive experience we’ve ever had. That the world would feel alive and bustling. So far in my experience, that simply isn’t true. Not only are a lot of the things they touted about this game completely missing or executed poorly, but it’s honestly nothing I haven’t seen before, often done better, in other games.

Sony certified it, but then does this weeks later?

I dont know what certification entails, but at first glance this seems like a PR move.

OK FULL STOP ON THE DISCOURSE PLEASE

Just to explain: Sony and Microsoft are -not- responsible for the state of Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and Xbox. "Cert" isn't something that ensures games are 'good' - it ensures games do not brick it or disable critical functionality.

Now, industry contracts prohibit me from speaking about the certification processes and requirements of any specific platform, so let me tell you about sort of the general process and concept of 'certification'.

Certification doesn't mean that your game is free of graphical bugs, free of performance issues, free of glitches, or even that it's functioning properly. Cert means the game should not mess up your console, or your ability to use your console, or break rules & trademarks.

Certification is stuff like "don't render critical stuff off-screen", "display warnings if your internet connection is lost", "showcase the correct button labels", "ensure unplugging & plugging back in your controller doesn't crash the game" - stuff like that.

Certification is NOT stuff like "the textures pop up five seconds late" or "objects are floating" or "the game is glitching and my character is T-posing out of the car roof with no pants". That has nothing to do with cert, and even if that comes up in cert, that's not cert's job.

Certification as a process is a giant (GIANT!) list of rules and considerations you can access. You submit your game, wait (a) week(s), and get a list back of failed criteria. If testing finds a lot of failed criteria, they might stop testing midway & return a partial list.

You then get an opportunity to fix the problem, or request a "waiver". You generally cannot continue the submission process without all of the testing criteria having been marked in the backend as a PASS or a WAIVED.

For a "waiver", the developer basically argues why they believe it is fair to be excluded from a requirement. The platform then agrees or disagrees dependent on the game, the situation, the urgency of clearing cert, & promises by the dev to fix fails in a (day 1) patch.

Sometimes, what you can get a waiver for feels counter-intuitive. For example: correctly labeling your buttons is (as far as I've seen) an absolute 100% fail cert - one might argue that it's really not that important that the game uses proprietary language - but it is.

Anyway - after that, you submit again, cert checks against the giant list of rules again, but skip testing on the rules that you've gotten a "waiver" for. If all is clear, you get the ability to set a launch date, and you're ready to go. You go through cert for patches, too.

(All of this is through the worst interface you will ever see in your life. No exceptions. I've seen 1980's DOS interfaces controlled by obscure key combinations that were easier to navigate. At large studios there are specialized people that manage these release processes.)

While I'm describing a generalized certification process above, that doesn't mean that it isn't mostly relevant in this case. In the end, cert is a measure for making sure your console doesn't brick, but the publisher of the game is solely responsible for the quality of the game.

If you make a game that's so buggy that your character spawns T-posing naked flying through the air while everything explodes at once & the only way to progress is hope the NPC you need to talk to got flung exactly your way - but it adheres to all the cert rules, it passes cert.

It is then up to the publisher to say, "OK, good, we've hit all the certification requirements, but the current state of the game does not warrant a launch - we should delay, or cancel". They fix things, and go through cert again.

Platforms do not have a magic "this doesn't adhere to our standards of quality" stamp". They don't "sign off" on your game being good. They leave the decision up to the publishers on whether they want to shoot themselves in the foot with a subpar project launch.

So all I'm saying is no responsibility for the state of Cyberpunk 2077 is on the platforms for "signing off". The responsibility is on those who decided to publish & launch, and only those who participated in that decision - not the devs, not QA, not cert, not the platforms

That's all. Discourse continue.

How long is God of War? A lot of side missions? I'm only up the the lake area and did like 4-5 spirit side mission things and found Brok's friends ring. About to continue the main story now

56CF68F5-D599-4B05-967B-3023C1E8B745.jpeg

Bad Religion Bad Religion hownlong did it take you to plat Death Stranding? Anything missable that I should worry about? I’m playing it on Hard difficulty.

Also when it rains, is there anything I can do to avoid my cargo being damaged. I just lost everything :lol: I didn’t see any shelter

Last edited:
After playing a good chuck of Spider-Man Remastered I like it more than Miles. The villains, story, cutscenes, control of MJ/Miles, lab projects, visuals, etc are amazing. A+

After playing a good chuck of Spider-Man Remastered I like it more than Miles. The villains, story, cutscenes, control of MJ/Miles, lab projects, visuals, etc are amazing. A+

Yea because insomniac treated miles as a spin off or dlc it ain’t nothing but spider man with a diff coat of paint basically the same game

I got someone selling Death Stranding to me for $15.

I've seen videos of the game and it looks incredible but is the gameplay fun?

You ever walk to your mailbox? It's the same thing.

Ahhh, so it's a walking simulator.

I remember Kojima saying that he knew that it's would get mixed reviews. Hell kind of expectations you have for your own game? :lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone’s Walmart PS5 order gone beyond preparing order? Starting to feel like it won’t ship until after the new year.

Back
Top Bottom