The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
did you do all the other story lines?

i’m really enjoying starfield right now. haven’t finished the main story line cause i been caught up with doing all the side story lines first

yea im slowly getting thru all the side missions and what not just thought the story was getting quite good and than its over smh.
A lot of reviews said the game really kicks off with NG+?
So maybe you can still get more out of that and side quests.

It's definitely a GP seller as the 1 and 3 month subs climbed up the charts on Amazon.
It's a fraction of the price of the full game and if you don't like the game you can play other things on the service.

yea its getting good just thought the story would continued on longer than it did.

was really reviewing the story mode not the whole game.

It isn't though.

You convenient left out the part where I excluded Activision because they deal is not done.

Bethesda had about 2200-2400 staff when acquired. That is with all the publishing staff.

That is the only acquisition Microsoft has completed this generation.

Bungie alone had over a thousand people working there. And Sony has acquired 13 other companies dealing with gaming.

I would assume people thinking it is thousands of devs difference, when it is probably a couple hundred.

My general point is Sony engages in the same type of behavior people want to criticize MS for.

I'm not arguing the total number of individual people, I am saying its an interesting angle to come from. The 8.1 billion dollar Zenimax price tag would buy all 13 studios you note Sony has acquired, with ease.

But it IS different and you know it is different. Microsoft's acquisitions are all always established developers . Rare, Zenimax (Machine, iD, Tango, Arkane), Mojang were all established, big, triple A developers.

Naughty Dog wasnt finished Jak when they were acquired. I would also argue that outside of Bungie, every acquired first party developer made better games AFTER the acquisition. Sony's MO appears to be working with developers, entering almost a 2nd party relationship, then buying the ones they feel are worth acquiring.

Microsoft tried nurturing 1st parties and it appears to me that either it wasnt working, or wasnt working fast enough, so have pivoted this generation to acquisitions.

Now is one strategy better than the other? I guess it depends on the metric. They both fill needs. But to compare them straight across is disingenuous.

Sony has used acquisitions regularly, you are correct. But to simply ignore the scope discrepancy is a pretty crazy omission.

I'm not arguing the total number of individual people, I am saying its an interesting angle to come from. The 8.1 billion dollar Zenimax price tag would buy all 13 studios you note Sony has acquired, with ease.
It is because of Zenimax IP and more administrative staff and publishing infrastructure that the cost is so much higher, not just head count.

My point is that if people have such an issue with MS scoping up so many devs, then they should have an issue with Sony doing it too.

MS can make bigger moves because they have more money.

When Sony had the biggest pockets in gaming, they used their money to squeeze the connections. If Sony had MS's money, they would make bigger deals.

Sony as an entire company has been focusing on acquisitions. With the gaming side having to share the pie with other departments. These burst of buying devs are not just some organic thing. It is a company wide initiative to acquire.

Sony engages in similar behavior that people want to criticize MS for. Buying up devs.

And the only comeback people and mount, including you, is "Well, you know, it is kinda different because Sony bought them earlier, and made them better". But that has nothing to do with the fact they still acquired them.

But it IS different and you know it is different. Microsoft's acquisitions are all always established developers . Rare, Zenimax (Machine, iD, Tango, Arkane), Mojang were all established, big, triple A developers.

Yes it is different. But people were not complaining about the types of devs and the style of the acquisitions, or MS previous relationships. They were complaining about MS doing it.

And what motivated their comments is laziness to not read and article and the email it was based on.

Naughty Dog wasnt finished Jak when they were acquired. I would also argue that outside of Bungie, every acquired first party developer made better games AFTER the acquisition. Sony's MO appears to be working with developers, entering almost a 2nd party relationship, then buying the ones they feel are worth acquiring.

Microsoft tried nurturing 1st parties and it appears to me that either it wasnt working, or wasnt working fast enough, so have pivoted this generation to acquisitions.

Now is one strategy better than the other? I guess it depends on the metric. They both fill needs. But to compare them straight across is disingenuous.

I am not being disingenuous. Your problem is that I am not being charitable to Sony.

Sony main a major acquisition when they first got into consoles. They had the biggest pockets and used that money to squeeze Nintendo and Sega during the last PS1 and PS2 era.

MS started going after Bethesda, because Sony was buying up exclusively for their games. And was negotiating Starfield exclusivity.

The reason Gates and Ballmer went from laugh at the Xbox to approving it was a real concern of Sony getting monopoly power. Power their money help them get.

Are you being disingenuous for not talking about that? Or do you feel the added context was not needed given the scope of your argument.

Sony has used acquisitions regularly, you are correct. But to simply ignore the scope discrepancy is a pretty crazy omission.

My main point was that people can't be man at MS for acquisitions but be cool with Sony.

But people were not taking issue with that. So why would I respond to it.

I disagree with a few of your points. Most specifically, your comment on Sony looking at third party exclusivity.; Microsoft could have been doing the same. As you note, their reaction was to simply buy the entire company. As you alluded to though, an acquisition is an acquisition.

That said, I absolutely agree with your overarching point: "can't be mad at MS for acquisitions but be cool with Sony." So arguing over semantics is probably a waste of our time.

I can certainly be jealous, though. Or stop being cheap and buy Gamepass and a Series X. :lol:

Out of curiosity, you keep saying Sony made a major acquisition when they got in the gaming space. Are you talking about Psygnosis?

You convenient left out the part where I excluded Activision because they deal is not done.

Is there any good reason to exclude the Activision purchase on that lame technicality other than an attempt to strengthen your argument?

Unless there’s been some new development which has put the deal in jeopardy, I see no reason to exclude it. Your position is not going to change post acquisition. You’ll still be telling us this is just like Sony buying psygnosis or whatever.

If you explained it somewhere in one of your posts, I missed because once I saw you were arguing on that premise, I tuned out of the rest. Just give me a 2-3 sentence explanation, please.

I need help!

So, I purchased a 2TB SSD card for the PS5.

I installed it and everything, so as I turn on the PS5, the M.2 format screen comes on and I select to for it to format it.

As it was on 38% of formatting, it just automatically shuts off. I thought it was normal, but it completely shuts off. I try unplugging the cords and placing them back numerous times and it won’t turn on properly. The blue back light would blink for a quick second and just shut off. I called PlayStation to see what the issue is and after going through numerous ways to get it running, they told me I could send it back for repair, but it’s $243 with tax since it’s out of warranty.

I don’t want to jump the gun just yet and fish out the money, so I’m trying to see if it’s a way someone could see if this happened to anyone and what I have to do. I did take out the SSD card and it worked normal, but as I placed the SSD card back in the system while screen was on and running. So, I decided to restart the system and it just completely shut down again.

Do anyone know what it could be, or what I have to do?

I need help!

I installed it and everything, so as I turn on the PS5, the M.2 format screen comes on and I select to for it to format it.

As it was on 38% of formatting, it just automatically shuts off. I thought it was normal, but it completely shuts off. I try unplugging the cords and placing them back numerous times and it won’t turn on properly. The blue back light would blink for a quick second and just shut off. I called PlayStation to see what the issue is and after going through numerous ways to get it running, they told me I could send it back for repair, but it’s $243 with tax since it’s out of warranty.

I don’t want to jump the gun just yet and fish out the money, so I’m trying to see if it’s a way someone could see if this happened to anyone and what I have to do. I did take out the SSD card and it worked normal, but as I placed the SSD card back in the system while screen was on and running. So, I decided to restart the system and it just completely shut down again.

Grab another cheap SSD locally and see if it does the same thing... if it does, its the console. If it doesn't, you have a bad SSD.

I need help!

Is there a heatsink on the ssd.

Is there a heatsink on the ssd.
71676385300__48D8408A-13FC-4C18-83F0-410527E9DAE6.jpeg

Yeah, it does

Does your PS5 boot up without the internal ssd your trying to add. If it does not then it's something wrong with your PS5.

Does your PS5 boot up without the internal ssd your trying to add. If it does not then it's something wrong with your PS5.
I noticed when I took out the SSD card, it turned on like normal. I’m hoping it’s not a faulty internal SSD

This post is really dumb

Phil Spencer point was Nintendo is not selling. He wasn't trying to buy them. He was trying to nicely explain that to someone else at MS. If you would take time to do like 5 mins of reading, you could have known this.

Sony does and has done everything people complain about MS doing.

Remove Sony's balls from you forehead famb.
Sony's balls?

This response is even dumber now.

Again, hop off Nintendo's ****. Expeditiously

Is there any good reason to exclude the Activision purchase on that lame technicality other than an attempt to strengthen your argument?

Unless there’s been some new development which has put the deal in jeopardy, I see no reason to exclude it. Your position is not going to change post acquisition. You’ll still be telling us this is just like Sony buying psygnosis or whatever.

If you explained it somewhere in one of your posts, I missed because once I saw you were arguing on that premise, I tuned out of the rest. Just give me a 2-3 sentence explanation, please.
No

I disagree with a few of your points. Most specifically, your comment on Sony looking at third party exclusivity.; Microsoft could have been doing the same. As you note, their reaction was to simply buy the entire company. As you alluded to though, an acquisition is an acquisition.

-They bought time exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire. Are you forgetting that?

-Also, MS said during the FTC trial that Sony was trying to lock up Starfield, and that was a motivator to buy Bethesda...

If Sony is cutting deals to keep games off of Xbox, how exactly should MS have stopped them? Pay Bethesda game by game not to do it?

That said, I absolutely agree with your overarching point: "can't be mad at MS for acquisitions but be cool with Sony." So arguing over semantics is probably a waste of our time.

I can certainly be jealous, though. Or stop being cheap and buy Gamepass and a Series X. :lol:

Love yourself fully King and do it.

Out of curiosity, you keep saying Sony made a major acquisition when they got in the gaming space. Are you talking about Psygnosis?

yes

I appreciate the professional conversation that took place here today. Phil would be proud, not sure about Jim though :lol:

Jim Ryan lucky

A few years ago I interviewed for a data scientist position at Sony (music group, not gaming). Made it to the last round of interviews before I accepted another job.

I could have been a double agent, working from the inside, moved over to gaming, and brought down that evil empire.

Jimbo won't have known what hit him either...

the-usual-suspects-usual-suspects.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom