The Official Taxes Thread Vol. 2010

Im impressed, I filed on 1/25, and got my refund on 1/30...

TurboTax
pimp.gif

Filing tonight with TurboTax.

Anybody know how to go about writing off mileage? I put about 12-14,000 miles on my car for work and have majority of it logged in an excel spreadsheet.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I made about $29K last year but when I did mines on turbo tax it said that I'm getting back around $500
smh.gif

Think I need a second opinion

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

Originally Posted by Grimey

^ shouldnt it be free though?

the basic one is free.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

it's charging me 29.95 state fee.. does it depend on your state?

edit..

[table][tr][td]TurboTax Online - Free Edition[/td][td][/td][td]$0.00[/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
Federal tax preparation[/td][td][/td][td]Free[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
100% accurate calculation guarantee[/td][td][/td][td]Free[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]FEDERAL e-file[/td][td][/td][td]Included[/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]TurboTax State: Georgia[/td][td][/td][td]$27.95 [/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
State tax preparation[/td][td][/td][td]Included[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
Imports federal tax data automatically to state[/td][td][/td][td]Included[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
Helps maximize your state deductions[/td][td][/td][td]Included[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Georgia e-file[/td][td][/td][td]Included[/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Refund Processing Service Fee[/td][td][/td][td]$29.95 [/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td]plus applicable tax [/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]
interviewgraphic_99.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Total[/td][td][/td][td]$57.90 [/td][td]
clear.gif
[/td][td]plus applicable sales tax[/td][/tr][/table]

indifferent.gif

I know it's prolly not a lot but i'm barely getting anything in return anyways..

^^Try Taxslayer.com i'm due 2,102 dollars for Federal..

I have to so far pay 128 to NY state..
frown.gif

Gonna get another opinion as well..but i have never had any problems with Taxslayer.com

im looking at getting around $200 this year..not much but it's something at least

Should I use TurboTax.com or TaxSlayer.com? Or should I just do it on IRS.GOV?

I worked for about a month and a half and made $1,025 and my deductions are about $85 dollars. Which site should I use?

Originally Posted by PLAYOFF12

I worked for about a month and a half and made $1,025 and my deductions are about $85 dollars. Which site should I use?
I don't think you have to file considering you made less than 8k.

i finally got back all my w2s, 1098s, and 1099s. i made 2k less than i did last year. but ill be getting back 1k. i still owe like 300-400 from my taxes from last year, im just going to wait til april to file to either pay it off or for them to take as little from the 1k im getting back.

What's the dealio on if you're paying back student loans you can get more money back or something along those lines? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

^^^^you should have gotten back a 1098 form ( i think thats right) from your lender telling you how much interest you paid towards your student loans....that amount is deductible from your taxable income....

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Filing tonight with TurboTax.

Anybody know how to go about writing off mileage? I put about 12-14,000 miles on my car for work and have majority of it logged in an excel spreadsheet.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

you could do the calculation your self and I think its 35 cents a mile....or you can just go with the governments calculations (schedule C, I believe)....but know that driving to work is not deductible (at least if they look into it, or you get audited).....the only way mileage is deductible is when you are driving during the course of work to a place that is not your regular place of business, AKA meetings, training, deliveries, sales calls, etc.....

I just looked over the last couple pages and I hope this info helps some people....

no website will get you your money faster than another....or get you a larger refund unless you either A) give different info or B) fudge the numbers

if you made virtually nothing last year >13k ( I think thats the cut off) you wont have to pay any federal tax...but you do lose your medicare and social security tax...state tax differs by state for the most part...if for some strange reason you made 5K last year and any tax program says you owe, I suggest you go over your numbers again and make sure you are filling things out correctly, maybe even try to do a 1040 EZ by yourself to see if you come up with a different number.

I made around 9500 last year. going to school full time and took out loans to pay for school. Problem is i'm filing as a dependent so I'm not getting any returns. Do I still need to file taxes? and if i filed as independent would i get a big return since i can file my tuition and loans?

^^^NO...let your parents claim you...you didnt make enough, to get taxed enough, to get anything back...if that makes any sense???

the government does not just give you money back, they only give you back portions of what you paid (if anything at all)...if you make 9500 over 52 weeks thats 182.69 a week, so you probably had less than $20 taken out per check, if that....so since you wont see any medicare or social security back, you dont have much for the government to give you back...

for example, I bought a house this year (already received the 8k credit since I claimed it on my last years taxes)...I get the following deductinos, my property taxes, mortgage interest paid, student loan interest paid, and any points paid towards my mortgage rate (plus standard deductions)....I have the opportunity to get back a lot of money, but for me to realize all my deductions I will have had to pay into the system enough....turbo tax tells you this number...mine said that I would receive the most refund possible if I made 166k......I dont make that much, so I am missing out on money.......

^^ ok thanks for the input.. was just asking because my friend made 15k last year and got back 2k. because she filed as independent and claimed her school loans.. and she said my school loans and tuition were way more than hers

Finished up and E-Filed my Federal taxes using Turbo Tax 2010 Free edition yesterday afternoon
pimp.gif

Now im just waiting for the IRS to approve my return
nerd.gif

Question tho, how do i go about changing my allowances or whatever so that they take out less taxes on my pay this year and so that i can break even (or come close to doing so) on my taxes next year?

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Originally Posted by PLAYOFF12

I don't think you have to file considering you made less than 8k.

I keep hearing different stories. Some people say I don't have to file and some people said I have to.

I just gave the W-2 form to my parents and let them handle it when they do their taxes. I'm 18.

i just did mine on sunday i cant wait to get mine back 6k way more then i was expecting !!!!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom