The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Nah bro, can't take that match at face-value... nothing about it was status quo.  Both guys have been struggling.  I actually expected Andy beat Rafa, and he almost did.

Andy's still finding his form post-back-surgery, while Rafa's had his worst clay season, probably in his career.  If you've been following Rafa's recent clay matches, he's been all over the place, making lots of errors and just not confident.  His previous 2 matches were 3-set marathons vs Simon and Youzhny (not someone who you'd expect would give Rafa that much trouble).  

In the 1st, Andy was ridiculously awesome, lasering backhands and man-handling Rafa.  Rafa just looked lost and passive.

In the 2nd, Andy started making a few more errors, while Rafa played with a lot more aggression.  A lot sharper than what I've seen over the past few weeks. 

In the 3nd, both were good, but Rafa was just a bit better.  Both players should have been reasonably happy with the way they played.  Best I've seen them play in a while. 

Meanwhile, Raonic is serving bombs... and Nole can't do nothin' about it. 

Oh. Well at least Ana was cute during her failed comeback to the Greatest Of All-Time. Serena is going to destroy Errani. I can see at least 1 bagel.

Not really surprised... she hasn't played a competitive match in months and has barely played one on clay.  She might be training, but doesn't have the match fitness.  Smart and sensible.  Focus on the grass. 

I watched replays of the Murray Rafa twice...Dumb Novack...Dumb dumb Novack....BOOOOOOO...LOL

I'm upset Vika not being at Roland Garros either. But hopefully she returns to Wimbledon like Sinner suggests.

Last edited:
I said months ago that I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear from Vika until the US Open. If she's not ready now she probably won't be ready for Wimbledon either.

Vika should get the surgery and call it a year. Davenport had the same injury and put it off only to have surgery later.

Q. How and where did you exactly injure the foot?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: It happened three days before the Australian Open.

Q. In a practice session?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Uh‑huh.

Q. What's the diagnosis?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Sorry? 

Q. What's the diagnosis? Is it plantar fasciitis?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, it's a medical‑‑ I have no idea how to call it. In between my bones there is an inflammation that is nerve damage.

Q. In the toes?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's between. 

Nole looked VERY good and knows how to beat Rafa on clay.  Having said that, Rafa at RG in 3-of-5 is a different story.   

Back
Top Bottom