The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

She's lost a decent amount of weight already and I think with more match play and a good nutrition program she will slim down pretty fast. To be honest I was impressed how she handled the weight issues with the USTA a few years ago (Patrick McEnroe is a douchebag by the way) and I think she will rise to the occasion.

On another note, I think the next great American tennis star won't come up through the USTA's system.

Shelby will be decent but these players need to show me something in non US tournaments where the crowds are against you and you have to let your game do the talking. Madison might be decent but her defense and offense are one dimensional. Living up to Lindsay would be great but people need to remember just how talented Lindsay was. Lindsay was beating players like Hingis, Venus and Serena before she lost the weight. She had one of the best serves of all-time and I can only name two or three players in my time watching tennis (25 years) that hit a cleaner ball than Davenport.

If I were to bank on any of these young guns holding there own going forward it would be Taylor Townsend once she drops more weight.
Gonna be interesting to see if she folds under the pressure to lose weight.
I find it unfair Taylor has to deal with body image while also trying to break through as the next American tennis starlet. At 18-years-old, no less. Wonder how physical changes will impact her confidence and self-esteem on the court.

She's lost a decent amount of weight already and I think with more match play and a good nutrition program she will slim down pretty fast. To be honest I was impressed how she handled the weight issues with the USTA a few years ago (Patrick McEnroe is a douchebag by the way) and I think she will rise to the occasion.

On another note, I think the next great American tennis star won't come up through the USTA's system.
Saw this after my post. I suppose pressure and adversity makes diamonds, in Taylor's case. To be seen.

As far as ability, Taylor's game is far more advanced than most of the young Americans (I'm looking at you Sloane) and she can flat out play. You don't do what she did as a junior and not be talented.

As far as ability, Taylor's game is far more advanced than most of the young Americans (I'm looking at you Sloane) and she can flat out play. You don't do what she did as a junior and not be talented.
How do you feel about moderately young WTA players like Chris McHale and Heather Watson? Know both have battled adversity.

While on the discussion, I think Garbine Muguruza and Mladenovic will have nice careers. The latter has a great forehand and savvy net play.

How do you feel about moderately young WTA players like Chris McHale and Heather Watson? Know both have battled adversity.

While on the discussion, I think Garbine Muguruza and Mladenovic will have nice careers. The latter has a great forehand and savvy net play.

I don't think that Christina has a big go to weapon which limits her potential. I see her as a solid player that will consistently get to the third round of tournaments but that's about it.

I like Heather's game but I think she has to get mentally tougher and cut down on the errors. I don't think she's a top 20 player.

Mladenovic is one of my favorite younger players. She has power for days and her forehand is beastly. If she can just cut down on the errors and construct points better, she could be a top 10 player.

I don't think that Christina has a big go to weapon which limits her potential. I see her as a solid player that will consistently get to the third round of tournaments but that's about it.

I like Heather's game but I think she has to get mentally tougher and cut down on the errors. I don't think she's a top 20 player.

Mladenovic is one of my favorite younger players. She has power for days and her forehand is beastly. If she can just cut down on the errors and construct points better, she could be a top 10 player.
Heather Watson's toughness and resiliency reminds me a bit of Ferrer on the men's side. Nothing sexy about McHale's game, but she's effective where it counts.

Besides errors, Kristina's mobility and backhand need improvement to reach the next level of WTA.

Heather Watson's toughness and resiliency reminds me a bit of Ferrer on the men's side. Nothing sexy about McHale's game, but she's effective where it counts.

Besides errors, Kristina's mobility and backhand need improvement to reach the next level of WTA.

To be honest, I think the quality of tennis on the WTA has progressively declined In the last 10 years. I don't see all-time great potential in most of the top players. Gone are players like Henin , Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati, Davenport, Hingis, etc. Gone are the days of varying playing styles and now we are stuck with mindless ball bashers, mental midgets, pushers, unforced error machines, etc. Just sad times.

BwOH3pPIcAAjHsE.jpg:large

Last edited:
Oudin was shocked into reality. She currently plays challenger events and has to qualify just to get into the main draws of tournaments.

I don't know what to expect from Cici and her future. To be honest, the US media hypes up every young US player not named Williams that wins a few rounds at the US Open every year for the last 10 years. From Alexandra Stevenson to Sloane. The reality is Serena and Venus have carried American tennis and it will be a sad state of affairs when Sloane or Madison Keys are your go to players. I just haven't seen the same potential in these young Americans as I see in other players.
OH SLOANE, I was never in her corner. It's not that I wanted her to fail but I just didn't agree with the serena comparisons? 
mean.gif
 I was saying pretty much the exact thing you said in a conversation yesterday. WHY OH WHY do we hype every single young US player. I don't know what it was about CiCI, maybe her age but she just impressed me yesterday then I woke up this morning to see she had lost 
sick.gif
 not even surprised.

If i had to pick, Taylor Townsend every time. I'll gladly stand by my word on her even if she's a bust (highly doubt)

I don't know enough about US tennis to comment outside Williams but you mentioned Watson who is my girl and she has been unlucky with illness and injury in the last few years so has found it difficult to build momentum and consistency. She has the talent to be a top 20 regular but I don't think she will be winning a GS anytime soon. Now Laura she's a different matter

I don't know enough about US tennis to comment outside Williams but you mentioned Watson who is my girl and she has been unlucky with illness and injury in the last few years so has found it difficult to build momentum and consistency. She has the talent to be a top 20 regular but I don't think she will be winning a GS anytime soon. Now Laura she's a different matter
Mono, right?

Back
Top Bottom