The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Thinking back on it, genie is lucky her injury wasn't far worse. Hitting your head on a tile floor could've been fatal.

Meanwhile, Venus is playing in Hong Kong in order to secure a spot in Singapore.
Not really happy with my photos cuz there wasn't enough lighting, but oh well! 
laugh.gif
Nice! I still have yet to attend a tournament, so I'm hoping I'll be able to go to Indian Wells next year. I do have tickets to Sharapova's event here in Decemeber, so that will be my first taste of professional tennis.

Sweet... the competitive-level won't be the same as a real match, but seeing pros hit it still an amazing experience.  

Rafa looked very solid in the 1st, while in the 2nd, Stan basically tanked it.  A disappointing ending.

Bernie, surprisingly, really took it to Nole in the 1st... a pretty good set and tiebreak.  Came down to a point or two where Bernie lost it.  It was all downhill in the 2nd.

Muzz was ruthless vs Berdy... clean kill!

Didn't watch much of Jo-Kevin... 
laugh.gif

And also Venus vs JJ + Sam vs Kerber in HK! 

I think Vee needs to win HK to really solidify Singapore, though Flavia can still overtake Vee in Moscow.

It's that tight! 

Should be a good day of semis!

Welp, looks like no Singapore for Venus... JJ takes her out in straights. Hopefully this means Pennetta will secure the last spot. I'd really like to see her receive a proper farewell at the WTA Finals.

The always dangerous Jo Willie moves back into the Top 10 after getting the win against Nadal. The shot making in that match was great. Rafa really started to look like his old self again, especially after feeding Tsonga a bagel.

Venus looked pretty gassed too... it's been a long season and she's played a lot of tennis... and has a few injuries.  It was pretty hot here today, so that didn't help.  

The Rafa-Jo match was really entertaining... good tennis from both guys.  It was pretty close in the 3rd and probably came down to a few points here and there.  Having that huge serve of his helps so much.  Rafa shouldn't be too disappointed.  All in all, it was a pretty good week for him... and as he said, right now, it's really a prep for 2016.  

Man, Djoker was ruthless against Muzz... 

25th Masters 1000 title for Nole. Dude is on another level. Good effort from Tsonga in the second set. Happy to see him back near the top of the rankings.

Last edited:
Novak the GOD! I still remember when he wasn't gluten free and Federer usually washed him in straight sets lol. It's been a long time since then.

Nole's having one of those career years... one of the best in history.  3 Slams, 5 Masters (holding 6 right now) and could end the season winning 6, which would be a first.  It's just ridiculous how high his level is right now.  His return statistics are probably over 50% in return-points won, plus his serve's improved a lot.  

Lol I imagine this is how Sampras fans felt when Federer was getting close to catching him. Unless Novak dies I don't see him not catching Rafa in 2 years.

The round robin groups have been announced for the WTA Finals in Singapore.

Red Group

Halep

Sharapova

Radwanska

Pennetta

White Group

Muguruza

Kvitova

Kerber

Safarova

All the lefties are in one group... Poor Muguruza. Unfortunately, there's no backstage photo of the elite eight this year to compare with the men's inevitable group selfie in London next month.
laugh.gif

Lol I imagine this is how Sampras fans felt when Federer was getting close to catching him. Unless Novak dies I don't see him not catching Rafa in 2 years.

I was actually ok with Federer catching and surpassing Sampras. He has game. He can be agressive and has flair.

Novack.....Health....Ability to get the ball back in play.

I know Fed could hang in any generation tennis.

This dude Novack would be Marcelo Rios.

LOL...I give him his due though. Just not a fan. Even if I met the dude. hahah.

Muguruza, Masha, Aga and Kvitova through to the semis in Singapore.

ICYMI, here's the highlight of the WTA Finals. After giving Pennetta the final loss of her career, Ice Queen Sharapova shows she has a heart.
eek.gif

I don't think we'll EVER see her do that again.
laugh.gif

Federer vs. Nadal XXXIV tomorrow in the Basel final. First time they've played each other since the 2014 Australian Open semis.

I wonder which player needs this win more... The struggling Spainard who's looking to regain his dominate form, or the 17-time Grand Slam winner who's on the bad side of a one-sided head-to-head record?

Back
Top Bottom