The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Is Street Fighter 5 as bad as people say it is for someone who really just wants to play offline?

SFV is :pimp:.

But I don not understand how someone would play it and not want to be competitive.

Fighting games in general are now for casual players in the long run.

Is Street Fighter 5 as bad as people say it is for someone who really just wants to play offline?

It didn't have story mode and vs CPU mode at launch but that's there now.

Mechanic wise, it's a great game and it's good online too since you fight people who are your skill level.

SFV is :pimp:.

But I don not understand how someone would play it and not want to be competitive.

Fighting games in general are now for casual players in the long run.

I have no problem playing sports or shooters online but with fighting games not being my specialty, I just enjoy beating up the computer to kill time without all that extra stuff an online opponent brings.

But like D Double D Double mentioned, if it'll pair people up with my skill level (noob), I guess I can look past that.

Last edited:
Yea I'm at bronze and only get paired with other bronze players with the occasional silvers.
We've got people in the SF thread who are platinum and would destroy me but luckily I haven't come across one.

Last edited:
I may pick up SFV again after it takes the inevitable price plunge since it's been updated with new modes, etc.

It was terrible the first few weeks after release

I'm going to EGX tomorrow so I'm hoping to see Horizon on PS4 pro.
PS VR is appointment only and I missed out on that.

There's also a Street Fighter V tournament so it'll be good to see some of the pros in person.

First time going to one of these gaming expos so should be fun.

D Double D Double what's your cfn name?

Fissy_p

I'm going to EGX tomorrow so I'm hoping to see Horizon on PS4 pro.
PS VR is appointment only and I missed out on that.

There's also a Street Fighter V tournament so it'll be good to see some of the pros in person.

First time going to one of these gaming expos so should be fun.
Fissy_p
it may be appointment only for the Playstation booth but be on the lookout for indies that have it (if there are indies there) where you can just wait in line

an indie game called Korix (RTS) is being made in the UK so it could be there, it's timed psvr exclusive

Last edited:
 It's not a matter of the technology for getting the PS4/XB1/PC players to match up against each other being the issue, but rather first party company policies and potential security risks alongside the community perceived reputation of PC gamers being cheaters that is hindering the decision to allow cross platform play as explained by Tekken project leader Katsuhiro Harada on Twitter to a fan question.
Still debating on getting this on pc or xb1. 
nerd.gif

When Dark Souls 3 dropped, some pc people were getting soft banned because players entered their games with hacked weapons.

So just got back from EGX and it was great!

Soon as the lines were opened, we headed straight to the PS booth for Horizon Zero Dawn because we thought the line would be too long if we left it later.

View media item 2176067
"Sorry fully booked for today" we were told. :evil:

Head and shoulders slumped, we walked round the corner and see this:

View media item 2176075
Horizon Zero Dawn on a Sony 4K TV running on PS4 Pro. :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
I noticed the resolution bump but HDR stole the show. The colours!!

I need to see one of these TV's side by side to the LG OLED TV's because it's the closest to OLED i've seen. I just kept on staring.

Onward to the rest of the hardware.

View media item 2176078
View media item 2176079
View media item 2176080
Pro looked great in person and it is more or less the same size as the OG PS4.
The slim is tiny and is actually slick. They're far from the cheap revisions like the last PS3 slim.

Platinum headset looks like a worthy upgrade from the PS3 wireless headset I have.

Across the room from that, we jumped into the GT Sport line. The line was long but with 12 setups and 3 lap races in Brands Hatch it went quick.

View media item 2176083
They had the Thrustmaster 500 wheels and it was the first time using the wheel.
Man, I was not expecting the handling with these force feedback wheels at all :lol:
They were moving by themselves to auto correct and that threw me off so I couldn't concentrate. By lap 3 when I was getting used to it, the race was finished with me in last place and 20 secs down.

Lighting was great and there was no performance issues with it. I didn't tune into the audio because I was too busy fighting with the wheel but it sounded fine to me.

From there we tried to go to the PS VR but they were all booked out too. Only chance were indie games, thanks to thehealthinspector thehealthinspector for mentioning.

So we went to go play Gravity Rush 2. Such a great looking game, more colours compared to the Vita and all round better. I didn't get to test the mercury and Jupiter style but they've made the gravity kick and stasis field much better than the first game.
I didn't get to finish it because we ran back to the VR booth because they had some spots open for 50 people but we were too late.

Feeling salty that we missed the VR sign up, we went to the indie section to go play Battle Zone. It wouldn't have been my first choice for a VR game to test but we were in line and committed to it.

View media item 2176099
Had to wait for 2 hours and some stupid woman from the Sniper Elite booth kept bringing people and jumping the queue giving them VIP treatment. :smh:

First time wearing a VR headset but I already sort of knew what to expect reading GAF threads about the store demos.
So every headset is wiped with wet wipes and microfiber clothes after each use but it leaves a bit of residue on the screen so there's a slight blur. Even without that, I'm pretty sure what you see on the VR set looks blurrier than the feed on the TV due to the screen being closer to your eyes.

So I set the headset on and adjust it and it's super comfortable. Demo starts and first thing i notice is the scale. The cockpit looked much bigger than the TV image. I go through the quick tutorial just looking around and thinking this looks ok.
Once my tank gets elevated to the battlefield and I get control, a big grin appeared on my face. Your whole field of vision is filled and looking around is a must because you're getting shot from all directions including some flying drones so you need to look up too.
It felt natural and I didn't have no issue with sickness at all. I also spoke to the dev and they said it's the old build which has been used for trade shows for months now. The full game will better optimized they said. He also said there will patch it for PS Pro as well.

Friend of mine went crazy when he turned around in the tank and saw a fire extinguisher. :lol:

I was getting cold feet abotu keeping my pre order before but I'll be keeping it for sure now.

Next stop, the fight Zone which is basically setups upon setups of Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V.

Went straight to Street Fighter V since they had a Pro Tour Premier event so a lot of the top guys would be there.

View media item 2176113
They had the main stage which was nice and setups for pools and casuals. That was probably the most serious booth. :lol:

Didn't get to see Daigo because his pools is tomorrow but I saw Ryan Hart vs Bonchan playing casuals and man the things these guys can do. Really wish I could go for the finals on Sunday.

View media item 2176119

Went to Tekken and picked Akuma straight away. I hit a Raging Demon rage art and it felt good. :lol:
Fireballs have to be used sparingly in this game. Long startups in a close combat game meant i kept on getting punished. DP's and demon flips on the other hand made me feel right at home. They really did well with Akuma in the game.

Wanted to get some merchandise and Sony were throwing out free tees and hats and also giving out some Ratchet key chains. I missed out on a Last Guardian tee but I got this.

View media item 2176122
There were loads of other shirts for all sorts of games but I wanted something subtle and not that many had subtle designs.

Passed a weapons store as well and me in my younger days would have been tempted to buy one of these:

View media item 2176126

So getting ready to wrap up, we get a last call for FFXV. Now i'd been dodging this game because it was on so many screens. They had long lines in the SE booth and a big screen showing their games. There was also another line in the PlayStation booth for it too and I was going to ignore it for media blackout reasons but my friend wanted to play it so I went with him. I thought I'll see enough to judge the performance.

The game looks good and has good lighting especially in the cut scenes but it's nothing spectacular compared to things like Uncharted, especially because of the textures of the environment but this could be an old build and off course it's open world with day and night cycles which you can see from the different setups because they all different colors depending on where the sun was. The characters themselves though look good though so no texture problems for them.

No performance issues either from the build I saw and I made sure to check it in battle with loads of enemies.

My only nitpick is that, I didn't get the same wow feeling I had when I first saw FFXIII's graphics and UI. That could be because of he desert setting the demo was in and because of seeing Horizon earlier.

Full game on PS4 pro should hopefully change all that.

Great day as whole. I was surprised that Microsoft and Nintendo had no booths at all. There were xbones in the SE booth for FFXV along with the PS4 and there was Gears 4 in the over 18's section and I'm assuming Battlefield 1 was played on Xbones too but Nintendo was no where to be found. Only representation they got was from cosplay players. Sony on the other hand did it big with their booth.

View media item 2176145

Definitely going back next year. Hopefully, more than 1 day so I can watch the Street Fighter finals and hopefully Nintendo and MS are their too so I could see NX and Scorpio.
Would recommend to anyone who has a chance to go to one of these things.

Last edited:
Good idea.

I tallied up the price for me and it's a hit.

£350 + £45 + 3 games at launch is a lot of money.

Good thing is the demo disc in US comes with 18 games so no need to rush out for games and playroom VR is free too.

psnflashsale2-555x328.png

PlayStation 4
  • Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations – $7.99
  • Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed – $11.99
  • BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend – $14.99
  • Broken Age (cross-buy) – $4.99
  • Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse – $4.99
  • Child of Light Ultimate Edition – $5.62
  • Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exodus – $5.99
  • Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours – $23.99
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered (cross-buy) – $5.99
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth – $23.99