The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by cartune

Paterno shouldnt be scrutinized like he is

Could he have done more? Yea so could the 100s of people who are now coming out saying there were rumors about this for years. Where were they?

Its easy to play couch saint and say what you would have done.

You're asking a man who had already reported what he knew to his AD to go straight to the police? based on rumors/allegations and possibly bring down his institution, his legacy, his job especially when your close friend is the accused.

He could have done more he could have investigated more but thats a hell of a lot to ask a head coach with a million things on his plate.

Maybe Im just being too realistic
100's of other people?
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

JoePa is getting the scrutiny because of his status, obviously. It comes with the territory. He deserves a lot of blame but the initial witness deserves more. All involved should not be defended in any way, shape or form.
okay so say Joe Paterno knew about the initial incident with Sandusky in the shower from Mcqueary and he goes to Curley who went to University police and they dismissed the case pretty much.  So next Joe Paterno should take his case to a higher authority for something he did NOT witness and still reported once it was brought to his attention.
Just playing devil's advocate since you already seem to know all the facts

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by cartune

Paterno shouldnt be scrutinized like he is

Could he have done more? Yea so could the 100s of people who are now coming out saying there were rumors about this for years. Where were they?

Its easy to play couch saint and say what you would have done.

You're asking a man who had already reported what he knew to his AD to go straight to the police? based on rumors/allegations and possibly bring down his institution, his legacy, his job especially when your close friend is the accused.

He could have done more he could have investigated more but thats a hell of a lot to ask a head coach with a million things on his plate.

Maybe Im just being too realistic
100's of other people?
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

JoePa is getting the scrutiny because of his status, obviously. It comes with the territory. He deserves a lot of blame but the initial witness deserves more. All involved should not be defended in any way, shape or form.
okay so say Joe Paterno knew about the initial incident with Sandusky in the shower from Mcqueary and he goes to Curley who went to University police and they dismissed the case pretty much.  So next Joe Paterno should take his case to a higher authority for something he did NOT witness and still reported once it was brought to his attention.
Huh? I clearly said the initial witness deserves more blame. JoePa certainly deserves blame himself. That's all I'm saying. He is in no way innocent IMO. It's his life, if he can sleep well at night, good for him, I know I wouldn't be able to.

As far as knowing facts, what more do we need to know? It can only get worse for JoePa from here, if there are any facts that haven't been brought to light yet.

My point is, who were these 100's of other people that could have helped the situation initially?

StillIn729 wrote:

to add, this is what curley told the second mile
"The Second Mile learned of another investigation involving Mr. Sandusky in 2002. In its statement, the agency said its chief executive officer, Jack Raykovitz, testified at the investigating grand jury that he had been told by Penn State athletic director Tim Curley that an internal investigation had found no corroboration for an allegation of inappropriate contact by Mr. Sandusky with a youth in a university locker room."
he could've told Joe the same thing

and they are doing a "blue out" for sat. I hope everyone comes and support the student athletes.

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

But my question is, how does a man like Paterno live with himself knowing that he would see Sandusky on a daily basis even after learning some of the details of his interactions w. children?  That's INEXPLICABLE!!!  How the @@@@ does that happen. 

He can tell the victims how sorry he is over and over...doesn't excuse the FACT that he allowed Sandusky to continue to be around the Penn State campus. 
He can't. Which is why I don't believe Joe Paterno knew the extent or even the slightest bit of detail about the full investigation.
So knowing that something "inappropriate of a sexual nature" took place between a man and a boy in the Penn State showers isn't enough extent for you?

But my question is, how does a man like Paterno live with himself knowing that he would see Sandusky on a daily basis even after learning some of the details of his interactions w. children?  That's INEXPLICABLE!!!  How the @@@@ does that happen. 

He can tell the victims how sorry he is over and over...doesn't excuse the FACT that he allowed Sandusky to continue to be around the Penn State campus. 
He can't. Which is why I don't believe Joe Paterno knew the extent or even the slightest bit of detail about the full investigation.

I don't believe it...Joe Paterno is a SMART man.  He's not that naive.  Especially considering the Sadusky allegations in 98'.  Remember why Sandusky didn't get the "coach in waiting" title?  I'll refresh your memory:

According to Scott Paterno, his father made the decision because he felt Sandusky was spending too much time at The Second Mile, a foundation Sandusky established to help at-risk kids, where authorities say he encountered the boys. Sandusky then made the decision to take early retirement, Scott Paterno said.

Joe Paterno made that decision...

Link

Give me a @@@%!!@ break...
30t6p3b.gif

and as fearthenut said:

So knowing that something "inappropriate of a sexual nature" took place between a man and a boy in the Penn State showers isn't enough extent for you?

There is NO justifying Paterno's lack of action and negligence. 

What if those students are wrong and more comes out? I would an avid spectator for now and not wear my heart on my shelve

I don't believe it...Joe Paterno is a SMART man.  He's not that naive.  Especially considering the Sadusky allegations in 98'.  Remember why Sandusky didn't get the "coach in waiting" title?  I'll refresh your memory:

According to Scott Paterno, his father made the decision because he felt Sandusky was spending too much time at The Second Mile, a foundation Sandusky established to help at-risk kids, where authorities say he encountered the boys. Sandusky then made the decision to take early retirement, Scott Paterno said.

Link

30t6p3b.gif

and as fearthenut said:

so as part of a cover up he decided to keep coaching for another 12 years instead of hand over the reigns to someone else?

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Link

30t6p3b.gif

and as fearthenut said:

so as part of a cover up he decided to keep coaching for another 12 years instead of hand over the reigns to someone else?
It's not so much that he decided to keep coaching for another 12 years...it's the fact that Sandusky was no longer an option to take over when Paterno stepped down.  He used The Second Mile as his reasoning as to why. 

I read up to page 14 and have read a lot of the articles ...

If it hasn't already been stated ...

-'98, '00, '02 ...
-Joe Pa is law ... he knows everything that happens ... and the timing is all too perfect w/ all this *$$! ... +#+* a coincidence ... see below
-Sandusky is "let go" in 99 ... hmmmm
-McQueary becomes a paid assistant ... and is now head of recruiting ... hmmm
-McQueary told his pops ... and grew up down the block from Sandusky ... close family friends ... hmmm
-Everyone knew and all Sandusky got was the don't do it around here speech ... why some of yall want to make excuses ... forget finishing out the season ...
-Janitor that witnessed it and told everyone but they were intimidated by Sandusky and wanted to keep their jobs ... @#%@@#* pathetic ... and now dude has dementia

It's easy to say what would one would have done in that situation but hindsight is 20/20 ... and the nature of the acts are horrific and i'm so sorry those kids had to deal with that ...
30t6p3b.gif

Shame on all of those in the cover up. I want that President out of here ... he's the worst

I think some of you need to read the entire 23 page grand jury report because you're leaving out a lot of information... specifically the facts surrounding Victim 2 and who was notified and what was said. There are a lot of misconstrued facts being thrown around.

Coaches at major D1 football & basketball schools are dirt bags with huge egos. Especially the ones that portray themselves as virtuous. We all saw what happened with Jim Tressell. They live in a severely insulated worlds surrounded by yes men.

Compliance offices at these big schools are nothing more than departments designed to keep all the dirt quiet & the NCAA off their backs.

paterno will never step down because in his mind, he did nothing wrong. I'm floored at the support he's getting but not suprised. I laugh at the people that are saying the facts aren't out. What the heck are you guys talking about? You guys are total morons. The sad thing is some of you sound like you're going to college or college educated. You are the living embodiment of apologists.

The local police commisioner layed out a time line of events which is absolutely horrible. The details will be coming soon & I don't really need to hear them at this point. I'm absolutely horrified by this.

While paterno didn't molest anyone, he fostered an enviroment that led to kids being harmed. His apathy & that of the other administrators is comparible to the catholic church. They were concerned about protecting thier school instead of doing the right thing.

I hope the ncaa sanctions that school back to being a farming college again.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

I think some of you need to read the entire 23 page grand jury report because you're leaving out a lot of information... specifically the facts surrounding Victim 2 and who was notified and what was said. There are a lot of misconstrued facts being thrown around.
Pages 6 & 7 of the GJ report....those in Paterno's corner should read those pages specifically and ask themselves how well he handled the information he received from McQueary. 

Coaches at major D1 football & basketball schools are dirt bags with huge egos. Especially the ones that portray themselves as virtuous. We all saw what happened with Jim Tressell. They live in a severely insulated worlds surrounded by yes men.

Compliance offices at these big schools are nothing more than departments designed to keep all the dirt quiet & the NCAA off their backs.

But those scandals and sanctions are a mere blip on the radar in comparison to what is going on at Penn State.  I'd like to think that MORALLY, most of these coaches would notify the authorities if in the same situation as Joe Paterno. 

People who rally for things like that should have those "things" done to them and see how they like it. Disgusting.

DoubleJs07 wrote:
Ghenges wrote:
Pages 6 & 7 of the GJ report....those in Paterno's corner should read those pages specifically and ask themselves how well he handled the information he received from McQueary. 

But those scandals and sanctions are a mere blip on the radar in comparison to what is going on at Penn State.  I'd like to think that MORALLY, most of these coaches would notify the authorities if in the same situation as Joe Paterno. 

These coaches don't have morals or ethics. They are made up from the same genes of the guys running wall st. The only things they care about is winning & making dough. We can't even begin to understand their way of thinking. They live in a intensely insulated world. Coaches don't even teach fundamentals now. They teach their systems & that's it. They need to win now.

And don't get me started about colleges...They have become less the learning institutions & more avenues for generating revenue or developing the next big research project that will bring attention to the school & bring in millions...

This whole thing is going to come crashing down. There's a ton of people Im sure at penn st that wanted paterno gone a long time ago and were waiting on a reason. These circumstances are deplorable and he without a doubt should have at the very least followed up and made sure that authorities were contacted. Its completely inhumane, whether this person is (sandusky) a close friend, employee, whatever; to try and let this stuff go away on its own.

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

People who rally for things like that should have those "things" done to them and see how they like it. Disgusting.

they are not rallying for the 'THINGS' that were done. they are rallying in support of someone that built the entire town and school into what it is and is being accused of not doing anything and is getting ran out. people are assuming the worst of Joe and if you know anything about they guy, you know what he stands for.... and he definitely wouldn't stand for this

Originally Posted by DaG311

they are not rallying for the 'THINGS' that were done. they are rallying in support of someone that built the entire town and school into what it is and is being accused of not doing anything and is getting ran out. people are assuming the worst of Joe and if you know anything about they guy, you know what he stands for.... and he definitely wouldn't stand for this

Yea we know what he stood for, his long time friend Sandusky. He continued to allow him access to the school through last week... As I live & breath, it's amazing to see people cover for this guy.

People have long said that sports, paticularly college sports is like a religon to a lot of people so I guess you guys are like "good" catholics defending the church...

Because you know him personally, right? A man is judged by his inaction in times of turmoil more than his action in times of prosperity. I truly believe that at some point in time, all of us, will be defined by one event. That event will test the strength of our values and principles and what we stand for as human beings.  In Paterno's case, in his waking moment, he showed his true colors. And for that, he needs to go.

As a fan of college football, I am absolutely heartbroken by this being the defining moment of Paterno's career and superseding all the years of glory and good that he achieved. Nonetheless, it is not refutable that his inaction and conscious turning of a blind eye to this individual's lifestyle contributed to the inevitable mental anguish to be perpetually suffered by the defenseless victims. Paterno reports up to Paterno. That is it. His inaction is absolutely deplorable and speaks volumes louder than any good he has done for the sport and his university. It hurts to admit that because I've always been a fan of JoePa and before this weekend firmly believed that he should be allowed to exit when he desired. I no longer hold him in such regard, and as an avid fan of college football, that sucks.

I truly hope one of the father's of those kids beats the crap out of that coward of an assistant coach.

I just find it unbelievable that Paterno, the GA, AD, VP, etc could be made aware of ANYTHING along the lines of child molestation and not have that on their conscience every time they've seen that man, since either 1998 or 2002, and been aware of any additional allegations yet not feel compelled to stand up for what's right. I don't have any children but I'd think that would especially be true for any father, I could not allow that person to roam freely.

It's a bit presumptuous but it almost has to boil down to what was also in their best interest and not wanting to upset the apple cart, so to speak. They were probably hoping that these minor steps they took would be enough to keep them from being further involved but instead it just allowed Sandusky to keep ruining who knows how many other people's lives all of these years.

The whole situation is disgusting. I wanted to give Paterno the benefit of the doubt, it's unfortunate that he's become the central figure in all of this because of his stature because I do believe he's not AS guilty (I'm in no way saying that he's not at fault either), but he also could have used his position to have done something about this and that's part of the problem.

I heard dozens of people say the exact same thing about Tressel. Not to compare the two instances of infractions, stuff gone wrong, but yeah, you get the point.

After seeing Tressel get torn down, I really don't buy the whole "If you knew what he really stood for and really was about.... then you wouldn't...." argument. Distance or proximity to a figure has nothing to do with it. If you know them personally (which if anyone does here, then it's an exception), but if not, then it makes no difference where you grew up or what school you went to. You can't say you know someone, when you really don't.

Doesn't matter who it is.

Back
Top Bottom