The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Originally Posted by abutta13

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I read your responses even after this statement but I just can't agree with your point of view on this statement DoubleJ's.  One person saw/witnessed the crime while it was being committed, the other person didn't and only got wind of the story as it was told to him.  Joe Pa could have and should have done more, but McQueary is the dude that truly could have stopped things from getting worse for future victims and the victim at hand in 2002.
Like I said...I get what you and AG are saying.  However, I feel like both men failed to do the right thing.  If McQueary froze up when he encounterd Sandusky, fiine.  Call the police ASAP.  He didn't. 

The information was passed on to Joe Paterno....PEPPER McQueary as to EXACTLY what he saw.  He didn't.  Even if Paterno didn't want to hear all the details, he should have still called the police.  And he didn't. 

BOTH men failed and their lack of action ultimately led to a series of horrific crimes on children.  I can't put one ahead of the other.  McQueary and Paterno are both scum and I have NO respect for any of them.  

On top of it all, folks gotta stop using Paterno's age as a reason as to why he couldn't have done anything.   It's a LAME cop-out.  Today, he has NO business coaching...but he was a vastly different man back in the 90's.  C'mon now. 

Another thing...I think a lot of people on the outside are underestimating Paterno's power.  No joke, he's second to Jesus Christ in Happy Valley.  I still can't get over the fact that all it would have taken was a single phone call...
30t6p3b.gif

*edit*

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.

Very interesting POV.....after reading this, I immediately thought of the mafia.  If you're trying to work your way up, and you see a capo or something along those lines doing something on the low like Sandusky was doing...are you going to go to the police or one of your superiors?  We all know what McQueary SHOULD have done, but dude who wrote the above paragraph brings an interesting perspective to all of this. 

wow where to begin. okay i now u are not comparing a group of educators and coaches to the mafia.  Of course the mafia isnt going to the police they are criminals.  They are not supposed to do the right thing.  But even if someone in the mafia saw a capo doing some foul $!%# they probably would tell one of the higher ups or accept a very lucrative bribe from the capo not to tell.  Those dudes are hungry for power and when they catch someone who has the power that they desire slippin u bet your !$# they are gonna tell. By far the dumbest comparison ive heard.

The only thing interesting about that perspective is that some people can actually relate to running to daddy instead of manning up and doing what needs to be done.  Yes he was probably in shock but if he saw what he said he saw i dont understand how he didnt become immediately outraged and try to kill the bastard.  He is beyond soft for not atleast taking the kid out of that situation.  If he didnt have it in him to beat the living crap out of Sandusky fine but atleast take the poor kid away from him.  I can understand being young and not wanting to ruin the life of one of your role models but i dont understand how sandusky isnt immediately crossed off that list of role models once u see him drilling a little kid.  I dont see how u guys can be this understanding when looking from mcquery's pov.  Any man with pride would take immediate action and not just run home tell their dad.  Its sad that some of u are subconsciously kinda admitting that u would have taken route that mcquery did.  Atleast lie and say u wouldve beat the bricks off sandusky instead of trying to get others to understand such a weak mentality.

I really can't believe he hasn't been fired yet.  The only possible explanation is that they dont want him running to the media but if thats the case then they are still playing cover-up instead of doing what is right which is what caused this whole mess in the first place

I'm talking about the POWER that Paterno had compared to a higher up in the mob....nothing more, nothing less. 

student_life0097_800x340.jpg

Stillin, this is all this dude needs to see. Funny how ESPN spent a substantial amount of time covering the riots. And they gave this no more than 30 seconds. They just threw it in there along with the other Penn State news. 

You know, I'm not sure I'm eloquent enough to write what I'd like to convey, but I'll say this in a direct & honest way. That candle vigil was very narcissistic & selfish. It came off as disengenuous to me because this was what should've been done Wednesday night when that rat bastard got fired. It came off to me as a way for those students to try & get air time to say hey, look we're not that bad.

The reality of the situation is that more victims will likely come forward, some might even be ex psu football players. This scandal will most likely live for at least the next 5-10 years, possibly even longer. That monsters charity willl certainly be finished, but IMO it should be reborn under the care of the psu students. The legacy of psu students & it's alumni should be a call to action to help children who've been sexually abused, give these kids a chance to heal & live life especially since every facet your school did it's best to sweep victims under the rug to protect the image of the school & save it's beloved football program. Holding this vigil didn't do anything for those poor kids that were preyed on by that monster.

ESPN.com story here.

They fired the president of the university. They fired Joe Paterno, their legendary coach. They allowed the athletic director and a university vice president to at least temporarily leave their jobs.

It's a start.

But the trustees who govern Penn State have more work to do. Much more work.

If the university intends to cleanse itself of the toxic culture described in agonizing detail in the report of the Pennsylvania grand jury that issued the indictments in the allegations of a sexual abuse scandal involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, the trustees must continue to scour the athletic department and remove all who placed Penn State football ahead of the safety and welfare of needy and vulnerable young boys.

It is conceivable that the process could lead the trustees to consider a total shutdown of the football program as the best way to excise all that is wrong.

It was, after all, a culture that, under Paterno's unquestioned leadership, apparently enabled Sandusky to perpetrate his alleged atrocities on an unknown number of boys in these ways, according to the grand jury report:

• Allowed him systematic access to these children.

• Ignored obvious signs of perversity.

• Provided locations (weight room, sauna) and events (bowl games, road trips) for Sandusky that were irresistible to troubled boys in State College, the ultimate college town.

• Covered up for Sandusky whenever the possibility of detection arose.

• Ignored legal and moral obligations to take action that would embarrass the supposedly impeccable football program.

Despite the astonishing revelations of the past several days, it will not be easy for the trustees to do what they must do. They will face Paterno's legions of fans and his significant influence metastasized through the university, based both on his decades of success and his generosity to the university community. It is difficult to estimate the extent of the role Paterno's image and presence will have on the effort to change the athletic department culture.

Another reason it won't be easy for the trustees is that instead of recognizing their failures, some of the principals involved in the scandal are parsing and rationalizing what happened. The athletic director and the university administrator are claiming that a graduate assistant who, according to the grand jury, saw Sandusky raping a child in an athletic department shower in 2002, did not mention anal sex to them in his reports. It might have been simple horseplay, they suggest.

The unavoidable facts, however, are that a grown man was in the shower with a boy, and it was not the first time. And neither Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley nor university senior vice-president Gary Schultz reported it to law enforcement authorities.

As the trustees continue their work, they must purge the culture of the denial and the delusion that apparently allowed Sandusky to operate with impunity for years. They must establish an atmosphere of responsibility and accountability in a culture that encourages coaches, staff and students to do what is right instead of the bare minimum required by the law. One way to help make that happen is to institute seminars and training sessions that define the basic duties of citizenship and establish a new standard of behavior for all members of the university community. Instead of assuming that people will do the right things, the university's management must define what the right things are and create an atmosphere in which that proper behavior is encouraged.

And the trustees must do this work publicly and definitively. Their investigation must be detailed and transparent if they hope to eliminate the old and re-establish an atmosphere of integrity in the football program.

As the trustees attempt to reset the priorities of the university and its football program, here are some things they must do:

• Investigate the Second Mile Foundation. Founded by Sandusky in 1977, it allegedly provided him with a continuing supply of young boys. The foundation is not formally a part of the university, but it uses the school's facilities for its camps and is intertwined with the football program in numerous ways. Can the foundation be salvaged? Should it be shut down?

• Re-examine the investigation of another shower incident, this one in 1998. Why was no action taken after a probe by the police and a child welfare agency? What was the role, if any, of this incident in the "retirement" of Sandusky from the football staff in 1999?

• Examine the role of attorney Wendell Courtney, identified in the grand jury report, who was the university lawyer during the 1998 investigation and then moved to the Second Mile charity as its lawyer, where he served during Sandusky's alleged predations.

• Analyze the accounts of the victims described in the grand jury report (and of any additional alleged victims who come forward) to determine what staff members knew about Sandusky and these boys, and what the staff members did nor did not do about it. Determine if there is reason for any of these staff members to continue their employment with the university.

• Consider the cancellation of the football program for a period of at least two years. It might not be possible to establish a new culture without the total elimination of the old one. A two-year hiatus might be the only way to eliminate a systemic problem. How important is football to an institution of higher learning that serves 95,000 students and is supposed to be dedicated to the pursuit of excellence? When Tulane University was caught in a basketball point-shaving scandal in the mid-1980s, the university leadership eliminated the sport for several years to allow a complete renewal of values. When the U.S. Congress discovered a series of abuses in 2008 in its page program, which was designed to offer opportunities to young people, the members of Congress agreed to eliminate it altogether.

All of that is a tall order for the trustees. They demonstrated exemplary citizenship and fortitude when they dismissed Paterno and university president Graham Spanier on Wednesday night. As they continue their work, it is most important that they do it publicly and transparently. They cannot allow an atmosphere of denial and cover-up to continue. If their investigation uncovers embarrassing things, they must be forthcoming in describing them in detail and in public.

As the governing body of the university, the trustees must find and hire a new president and a new football coach. In theory, the trustees would hire the president and allow the president to hire the coach. But given Penn State's history, the coach very well could be the more important personnel move. As they search for a president and coach, the trustees must find leaders with the character and integrity required to undo the damage and establish a new order of priorities that goes beyond X's and O's and bowl games.

If the trustees can complete this work in the same way they made their decisions on Paterno and Spanier, they will be on their way to establishing a new model of "Success with Honor."

Lester Munson, a Chicago lawyer and journalist who reports on investigative and legal issues in the sports industry, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by psk2310

You know, I'm not sure I'm eloquent enough to write what I'd like to convey, but I'll say this in a direct & honest way. That candle vigil was very narcissistic & selfish. It came off as disengenuous to me because this was what should've been done Wednesday night when that rat bastard got fired. It came off to me as a way for those students to try & get air time to say hey, look we're not that bad.

The reality of the situation is that more victims will likely come forward, some might even be ex psu football players. This scandal will most likely live for at least the next 5-10 years, possibly even longer. That monsters charity willl certainly be finished, but IMO it should be reborn under the care of the psu students. The legacy of psu students & it's alumni should be a call to action to help children who've been sexually abused, give these kids a chance to heal & live life especially since every facet your school did it's best to sweep victims under the rug to protect the image of the school & save it's beloved football program. Holding this vigil didn't do anything for those poor kids that were preyed on by that monster.
you should just quit posting at this point; those students had NOTHING to do with what happened...you seem like a person with a lot of skeletons in the closet but if needing to be vindictive towards everything then maybe you are the one who is narcissistic and selfish. 

StillIn729 wrote:
psk2310 wrote:

you should just quit posting at this point; those students had NOTHING to do with what happened...you seem like a person with a lot of skeletons in the closet but if needing to be vindictive towards everything then maybe you are the one who is narcissistic and selfish. 

You're sad. You've steady been calling people dumb, moron, or whatever when they raise valid points...I feel sorry for you, I truly do. I honestly don't even mean that in a demeaning way. You're also lashing out calling people names & accusing people of having skeletons in their closets when you couldn't be further from the truth. You are the living embodiment of not being able to see the forest for the trees.  I hope you have the mental capacity to take some time & reflect on some of the comments made here without prejudice. Sometimes people will have opinions that are different from yours & you should be able to accept that without being so negative. I'm not sure how hold you are, but af1 seems to be a little more open to divergent thoughts than you do. My statement was a genuine thought that me & my family members had a dinner last night when we saw the footage of the vigil. With that said, I wish you well as this psu scadal continues to evolve. I hope you will consider being a less venomous that you continue to be.

Originally Posted by psk2310

You know, I'm not sure I'm eloquent enough to write what I'd like to convey, but I'll say this in a direct & honest way. That candle vigil was very narcissistic & selfish.
Lolwut

Looked like a genuine effort to pay respect to the most important people in this situation (the victims) to me.
What would've been a less "narcissistic & selfish" course of action, in your opinion?

I just can't wait till the game tonight. Till the cliche' tears, supernatural atheletes, and etc things they do after every scandal. I think Paterno just wanted to retire and didn't know how.. so therefore he used some weirdo who looked the part of the crime he committed and some red-hair dude that was apart of it took the fall and seemed like he always wanted to be the coach of the team anyways... so the mob is involved? is that how they find these players?? "Slavery Trade" in effect again.

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

I just can't wait till the game tonight. Till the cliche' tears, supernatural atheletes, and etc things they do after every scandal. I think Paterno just wanted to retire and didn't know how.. so therefore he used some weirdo who looked the part of the crime he committed and some red-hair dude that was apart of it took the fall and seemed like he always wanted to be the coach of the team anyways... so the mob is involved? is that how they find these players?? "Slavery Trade" in effect again.

Whattttt?

I think after they finish out the rest of this season they take the death penalty and go dark indefintely. Whether that's one year, two, or more.

I just think it would help the University focus without the added "distraction" of football and allows for a cleansing of the program. Come back after awhile and people might be revved up to see PSU back on the fied. Could generate a more favorable outlook than just plugging on through the next couple years.

The Penn State students here are getting SO high on their own supply right now its insane...

Ya'll need to come down to earth and keep it moving. Ya'll like corny as hell right now.

Who gives a damn about the "media" in this equation?

Kids got raped.

After that, it doesn't matter how you get portrayed. Just go to class and get your bomb-*** grades and KEEP IT MOVING.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

The Penn State students here are getting SO high on their own supply right now its insane...

Ya'll need to come down to earth and keep it moving. Ya'll like corny as hell right now.

Kids got raped.

After that, it doesn't matter how you get portrayed. Just go to class and get your bomb-*** grades and KEEP IT MOVING.

I'm gonna go ahead and co-sign this.That was comical to watch. And at the same time a little agitating. But hey, I have no affiliation to pstate. I'm just looking at it from an adult's perspective.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Whattttt?

What im saying is

after every scandal something supernatural happens. I'm not going to be surprised if Penn State win every game from here on out. thats why i used the word "Cliche"

Kids got raped.

surprised you aren't out with the rest of the Westboro Baptist members

Whattttt?

What im saying is

after every scandal something supernatural happens. I'm not going to be surprised if Penn State win every game from here on out. thats why i used the word "Cliche"

You only explained the one sentence where you actually made slightest bit of sense. Are you saying Paterno set this all up so he could quit the team?
laugh.gif

Kids got raped.

surprised you aren't out with the rest of the Westboro Baptist members
Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg

Where do you think you are on the chart with that comment?

I don't believe in your god or any gods for that matter and on top of that, the WBC will never have my support nor will any other organization that associates with them

What is your point? That because I think you all are being a little too self-righteous and self-aggrandizing makes me a supporter of the WBC?

Now you're showing your real colors. 

You Penn State students messed up by letting a man that was still alive get immortalized WHILE he was still fulfilling the position he was famous for. Thats what happens when you elevate people to a god status. 

This is also why i don't feel bad about comparing you guys to the catholic church. You guys champion these figure-heads SO HARD in the face of ALL THE FACTS that point to the contrary and yet you all refuse to see things objectively.

I'll be honest with you... I DONT CARE about Penn State...or UPENN or UCONN or any school for that matter. I care about those kids. And you guys using this as a press conference to express yourselves isn't doing them any justice. 

How dare you speak about how the media is portraying you all? If 4000 students riot on a weeknight how the hell do you expect the students who were in the library that night to suddenly get more press-time as being more representative of the student body? 

Take of the blinders and stop being such a cheerleader. No one is accusing you of rape, nor are they accusing you of being involved in any of the allegations. 

You students are just trying to be on the gossip page of your own controversy. Much ado about NOTHING that concerns you. Ok...express support of the victims but THATS IT. You all deserved to get shamed by the media. 

^ not even reading that because I don't care and everyone knows you're a troll

Can you clearly state what you are defending? What is your stance on this whole thing because you are just calling people out if they have something negative to say about your school.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Can you clearly state what you are defending? What is your stance on this whole thing because you are just calling people out if they have something negative to say about your school.

yup him and the af guy or whatever his name is.
i know silly putty can get a bit obsessed with the religion thing but his comparison with the catholic church and collegiate sports is pretty spot on.

and hes right about penn state still not getting it. kids got molested and raped. who cares about a football game

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

yup him and the af guy or whatever his name is.
i know silly putty can get a bit obsessed with the religion thing but his comparison with the catholic church and collegiate sports is pretty spot on.

and hes right about penn state still not getting it. kids got molested and raped. who cares about a football game
He doesn't have anything to defend. Hes just apart of that little brainwashed college football cult.

Does Penn State come across as a little bit culty for anyone else? They worship JoePa and are brainwashed into thinking that he can do no wrong. 

They will bleat "WE ARE" whenever they can. 

They have a mural of important figures in the university with the football coach on a throne. 

Like what type of mess is that? 

Thats why I look at all you dudes who cling to certain images or symbolism and wonder if you really know how you all look right now.

Its like representing your elementary school. PINE GROVE WHAT WHAT?! 
grin.gif

Again, you cheerleaders need to calm down.

Its JUST a school. Four walls with books on the inside. 

These dudes have fallen prey to the marketing scheme of mascots, chants, license plates, coffee mugs, sweatshirts, and school colors as if that stuff really matters. 

I'm a Falcons fan, but you won't see me fight someone over it. 
eyes.gif

sillyputty wrote:
Now you're showing your real colors. 

You Penn State students messed up by letting a man that was still alive get immortalized WHILE he was still fulfilling the position he was famous for. Thats what happens when you elevate people to a god status. 

This is also why i don't feel bad about comparing you guys to the catholic church. You guys champion these figure-heads SO HARD in the face of ALL THE FACTS that point to the contrary and yet you all refuse to see things objectively.

I'll be honest with you... I DONT CARE about Penn State...or UPENN or UCONN or any school for that matter. I care about those kids. And you guys using this as a press conference to express yourselves isn't doing them any justice. 

How dare you speak about how the media is portraying you all? If 4000 students riot on a weeknight how the hell do you expect the students who were in the library that night to suddenly get more press-time as being more representative of the student body? 

Take of the blinders and stop being such a cheerleader. No one is accusing you of rape, nor are they accusing you of being involved in any of the allegations. 

You students are just trying to be on the gossip page of your own controversy. Much ado about NOTHING that concerns you. Ok...express support of the victims but THATS IT. You all deserved to get shamed by the media. 

This is pretty much 100% true. Students should shut the +#$% up and pray to whatever god they believe in for the victims and that whoever is guilty is punished, including Joe Pa if he is proven to be guilty. Students at Penn State have nothing to do with this and should deal with the fact that their school is gonna be under some extra speculation and face some reputation issues...that is what SHOULD happen when your institution allows innocent children to be molested when it could've been prevented. Still, students have nothing to do with this and are only hurt their reputation by acting like a God got falsely accused of crimes while he lawyers up and remains silent. Whatever excuse about "Joe Pa BEING Penn State" and having to adjust, well +#$% that, in that case child molestation is also Penn State and you should adjust to it not being there anymore.

Have you even read my posts? Find one time ever defended the scandal or anyone involved but I will defend the school for the good they do and the academics they provide students.

All you are doing is generalizing a small segment of students, you choose to selectively read what I say. Have I not made it clear I agree 100% with the firing?

You should probably read what I say before you speak and they played the football game so I guess anyone there finds nothing wrong with what happened

I chose to not go there this weekend out of disgust, did you read that? Nah didn't think so

Back
Top Bottom