The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

This case is showing alot about people in general...
30t6p3b.gif
Anyone excusing what McCarthy did or didnt do is disgusting
sick.gif

First of you need to get your facts straight, this dude was not just a graduate assistant
indifferent.gif
This was a 28 year old FORMER STARTING QB for Penn State. 6'2" 200 some odd pounds & he wittnesses then most heinous of crimes first hand & runs & tells his father like a little @@#*+??!? Man _ this dude POV or who he revered or now of that BS... A grown man pounding a defenseless little boy & you go for the kill...
30t6p3b.gif

If I saw MY OWN FATHER raping a 10 year old boy I would murder him in an instant, no thoughts about it. It aint like dude had to much to drink, got in an arguement with his wife & pushed her or went overboard on 1 of his children's spankings. This dude had anal sex with a child in Penn State's shower
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by psk2310

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I actually love Posnanski's writing but I think as a journalist he has failed here. He's grown emotionally attached to Paterno, and in a way is doing exactly what the Penn State students did. 
This.

And that's what is wrong here. A lot of the students, myself included, are blinded by the legend status and believe he gets pardoned for his inaction. I love the man as a coach and an educator but this is just ridiculous that this went down. My blood boils every time I think about this. It's just so much to wrap your head around it's almost like a movie. 
Don't even get me started on McQueary. I was hoping he would be there on Saturday because he would not have gotten out unharmed. #*!++%# coward. Grown @@+ man and you looked that kid in the eye and turned your head. I hope he has a long life of torment ahead of him. 

Fight/Flight... you don't know how you will act until it's actually in front of you...

Mcqueary wasn't a victim. Sandusky didn't pray on kids from his type of background. Jon Ritchie was on 1st & ten, he grew up with them, knows sandusky and mcqueary.

Sandusky took advantage of kids from troubled backgrounds because who would believe them? Who would they turn to? he victimized kids who he could bully.

Sandusky used the Penn State facilities for his rapes probably because where else could he do that? No ones in the lockerromms/showers at night.
He couldn't just check in a hotel with a 9 year old lil black kid without heads turning.

penn state was his safe haven, "brazen" doesn't even fit because he knew he was basically the underboss there. Who was gonna turn him in, JoePa? Who had already glossed over one accusation in 1998

Just Disgusting, everyone should be ashamed of themselves as human beings.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

I read your responses even after this statement but I just can't agree with your point of view on this statement DoubleJ's.  One person saw/witnessed the crime while it was being committed, the other person didn't and only got wind of the story as it was told to him.  Joe Pa could have and should have done more, but McQueary is the dude that truly could have stopped things from getting worse for future victims and the victim at hand in 2002.
Like I said...I get what you and AG are saying.  However, I feel like both men failed to do the right thing.  If McQueary froze up when he encounterd Sandusky, fiine.  Call the police ASAP.  He didn't. 

The information was passed on to Joe Paterno....PEPPER McQueary as to EXACTLY what he saw.  He didn't.  Even if Paterno didn't want to hear all the details, he should have still called the police.  And he didn't. 

BOTH men failed and their lack of action ultimately led to a series of horrific crimes on children.  I can't put one ahead of the other.  McQueary and Paterno are both scum and I have NO respect for any of them.  

On top of it all, folks gotta stop using Paterno's age as a reason as to why he couldn't have done anything.   It's a LAME cop-out.  Today, he has NO business coaching...but he was a vastly different man back in the 90's.  C'mon now. 

Another thing...I think a lot of people on the outside are underestimating Paterno's power.  No joke, he's second to Jesus Christ in Happy Valley.  I still can't get over the fact that all it would have taken was a single phone call...
30t6p3b.gif

*edit*

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.

Very interesting POV.....after reading this, I immediately thought of the mafia.  If you're trying to work your way up, and you see a capo or something along those lines doing something on the low like Sandusky was doing...are you going to go to the police or one of your superiors?  We all know what McQueary SHOULD have done, but dude who wrote the above paragraph brings an interesting perspective to all of this. 

af1 1982 wrote:
psk2310 wrote:
PersiaFly wrote:
I actually love Posnanski's writing but I think as a journalist he has failed here. He's grown emotionally attached to Paterno, and in a way is doing exactly what the Penn State students did. 
This.

And that's what is wrong here. A lot of the students, myself included, are blinded by the legend status and believe he gets pardoned for his inaction. I love the man as a coach and an educator but this is just ridiculous that this went down. My blood boils every time I think about this. It's just so much to wrap your head around it's almost like a movie. 
Don't even get me started on McQueary. I was hoping he would be there on Saturday because he would not have gotten out unharmed. #*!++%# coward. Grown @@+ man and you looked that kid in the eye and turned your head. I hope he has a long life of torment ahead of him. 

I don't want to argue like we did previously, but he is no longer an educator or should even be considered one. He lost that with his inaction & allowing that predatory monster continued access to the school. He failed epically to defend those kids who couldn't possibly defend themselves. He also brought down the reputation of great school in one fell swoop so much so that it might not be able to recover from this ever.   

af1 1982 wrote:
psk2310 wrote:
This.

I don't want to argue like we did previously, but he is no longer an educator or should even be considered one. He lost that with his inaction & allowing that predatory monster continued access to the school. He failed epically to defend those kids who couldn't possibly defend themselves. He also brought down the reputation of great school in one fell swoop so much so that it might not be able to recover from this ever.   
Agree to disagree. Thank you for your insightful input. 

af1 & Still, or anyone currently associate w. Penn State.....why are people playing the sympathy card w/ Paterno? I don't get it.

7 minutes ago - by Jim Rodenbush - Report: UVa coach contacted about job, not interested
Penn State contacted Virginia coach Mike London about its head coaching position before Joe Paterno was fired, according to a report in the Washington Post on Friday. London told Trustees Chairman Steve Garban that he wasn’t interested in the job, according to the report. Virginia is 6-3 under the second-year coach and in contention to win the ACC’s Coastal Division. Lions RapidReports

Hmmm....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/post/16077794

Originally Posted by Mister Negative

This case is showing alot about people in general...
30t6p3b.gif
Anyone excusing what McCarthy did or didnt do is disgusting
sick.gif

First of you need to get your facts straight, this dude was not just a graduate assistant
indifferent.gif
This was a 28 year old FORMER STARTING QB for Penn State. 6'2" 200 some odd pounds & he wittnesses then most heinous of crimes first hand & runs & tells his father like a little @@#*+??!? Man _ this dude POV or who he revered or now of that BS... A grown man pounding a defenseless little boy & you go for the kill...
30t6p3b.gif

If I saw MY OWN FATHER raping a 10 year old boy I would murder him in an instant, no thoughts about it. It aint like dude had to much to drink, got in an arguement with his wife & pushed her or went overboard on 1 of his children's spankings. This dude had anal sex with a child in Penn State's shower
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

Exactly. McQuery wasn't a young boy that saw another young boy being molested. He was a grown man.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

af1 1982 wrote:

Again, prefacing this by saying I don't want to argue like we did previously. Not even sure this is a good arguement to use. It sounds like you're close to your parents. If so, let's say you love your father. Let's say he has a summer home on the Jersey Shore & he lets a great family friend one that he's known for 20 + years use it whenever. What if you heard that he was molesting kids at said house. What would you do if you found out your father knew for 10+ years & continued to allow said friend use the house. Would you still think you're father is a good man?

4. I think the University could not possibly have handled this worse. It was disgusting and disgraceful, the method in which they fired Joe Paterno after 60 years of service, and yes, I do think Paterno was a scapegoat. Of course he was. I’ve already said that he had to be let go. But to let him dangle out there, take up all the headlines, face the bulk of the media pressure, absolutely, that’s the very definition of scapegoat. Three people were indicted and arrested. A fourth, I hear, will be indicted soon. Joe Paterno is not one of the four.

indifferent.gif
In that whole column, the author chose to use THOSE words to describe the firing of Joe Paterno? FOH. And again, on the list of things that are horribly wrong with this story, the way he was fired is about 99 out of 100.

All the ppl talking about how they would have jumped in and did so and so if they were in McQueary's situation needs to stop. It's real easy to say these things now after the fact and sitting behind a keyboard and I'm sure McQueary would do the same thing now looking back but the fact is that you weren't in his shoes and you have no clue how you would react coming from where he's coming from. I mean seriously it's not an everyday thing where you're just doing your own thing and all of a sudden you see someone that was your coach and you respect sodomizing a child. I'm pretty sure that's a shock to the system and result in someone not necessarily reacting appropriately. Though I will say it's inexcusable for him to not have gone to the police and reported it.

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

All the ppl talking about how they would have jumped in and did so and so if they were in McQueary's situation needs to stop. It's real easy to say these things now after the fact and sitting behind a keyboard and I'm sure McQueary would do the same thing now looking back but the fact is that you weren't in his shoes and you have no clue how you would react coming from where he's coming from. I mean seriously it's not an everyday thing where you're just doing your own thing and all of a sudden you see someone that was your coach and you respect sodomizing a child. I'm pretty sure that's a shock to the system and result in someone not necessarily reacting appropriately. Though I will say it's inexcusable for him to not have gone to the police and reported it.

Umm....what? This dude is 6'5'', 270 lbs and he sees an old man raping a boy. Any MAN with an ounce of moral righteousness addresses that issue. Period.
They don't run to their daddy to explain the situation and ask for guidance. Even if you don't think he should have addressed it the moment he witnessed it, even you agree he should have gone to the police. He's a goddamn coward and so is his father.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Again, prefacing this by saying I don't want to argue like we did previously. Not even sure this is a good arguement to use. It sounds like you're close to your parents. If so, let's say you love your father. Let's say he has a summer home on the Jersey Shore & he lets a great family friend one that he's known for 20 + years use it whenever. What if you heard that he was molesting kids at said house. What would you do if you found out your father knew for 10+ years & continued to allow said friend use the house. Would you still think you're father is a good man?

Nah it's okay to argue, I just want a healthy argument that's not full of bickering.
That's the thing I'm torn about. You have an emotional attachment to your father and yet your disgusted that he could do such a thing. Granted, Paterno is nowhere near the man my father is. It literally #*+%+ with your head because you don't know what to think. You heart thinks two different ways. Your mind thinks two different ways. 

I mean I'm not looking for sympathy for the students but I'm just asking to put yourself in the shoes of the students in the situation. Of course they shouldn't call Paterno their "father" but when you live here for years and you're surrounded by the legend of Joe Paterno, you definitely get an emotional attachment to him. And that's part of the problem too. It's just messed up on so many different levels. It goes further than football, even further than this scandal. This is real life, the way society is structured and it's sad.

At this point, I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm just emotionally and mentally drained about all that is going on. And I'm just sick to my stomach that this man did this on University property. It's very surreal yet very real. It's alot to wrap your head around. I'm merely just a spectator today but I'll be at the vigil tonight and hopefully the media decides to report on that. The victims get first priority over anything and I think the country as a whole has kind of lost touch to that fact. 

Both McQueary and Paterno deserve the same amount of blame....I don't see how you can put one ahead of the other. They both kept secrets.

I read your responses even after this statement but I just can't agree with your point of view on this statement DoubleJ's.  One person saw/witnessed the crime while it was being committed, the other person didn't and only got wind of the story as it was told to him.  Joe Pa could have and should have done more, but McQueary is the dude that truly could have stopped things from getting worse for future victims and the victim at hand in 2002.
Like I said...I get what you and AG are saying.  However, I feel like both men failed to do the right thing.  If McQueary froze up when he encounterd Sandusky, fiine.  Call the police ASAP.  He didn't. 

The information was passed on to Joe Paterno....PEPPER McQueary as to EXACTLY what he saw.  He didn't.  Even if Paterno didn't want to hear all the details, he should have still called the police.  And he didn't. 

BOTH men failed and their lack of action ultimately led to a series of horrific crimes on children.  I can't put one ahead of the other.  McQueary and Paterno are both scum and I have NO respect for any of them.  

On top of it all, folks gotta stop using Paterno's age as a reason as to why he couldn't have done anything.   It's a LAME cop-out.  Today, he has NO business coaching...but he was a vastly different man back in the 90's.  C'mon now. 

Another thing...I think a lot of people on the outside are underestimating Paterno's power.  No joke, he's second to Jesus Christ in Happy Valley.  I still can't get over the fact that all it would have taken was a single phone call...
30t6p3b.gif

*edit*

^ i don't agree with that. put yourself in his shoes for a minute. mcquery was a grad assistant at the time, so i'm guessing mid 20's. former football player. sandusky was a well respected coach of his.. he played at penn state, a college revered for its football program, so he's not just ratting out some scum bag coach, he's ratting out a respected figure, at the time, the heir apparent to the football throne. players that went there look to these coaches as instrumental people in their life, larger than life. imagine if you see a close male figure to you doing something wrong like this. obviously, in hingsight, you say he should've went to the police. but when you're young, and you're dealing with authority figures, people with so much power, people very close to you, thats not the easiest thing. so he decides the best thing is to notify the most powerful person he knows, the most authoritative person he knows. and i'm sure he was scared as hell telling that to paterno, so he probably tip toed around a bit about what he saw. but imagine being young, and facing the responsibility of ruining one of the "role model" male figures in your life. that %$# ain't easy. i put very little blame on him actually given the circumstances.

Very interesting POV.....after reading this, I immediately thought of the mafia.  If you're trying to work your way up, and you see a capo or something along those lines doing something on the low like Sandusky was doing...are you going to go to the police or one of your superiors?  We all know what McQueary SHOULD have done, but dude who wrote the above paragraph brings an interesting perspective to all of this. 

wow where to begin. okay i now u are not comparing a group of educators and coaches to the mafia.  Of course the mafia isnt going to the police they are criminals.  They are not supposed to do the right thing.  But even if someone in the mafia saw a capo doing some foul $!%# they probably would tell one of the higher ups or accept a very lucrative bribe from the capo not to tell.  Those dudes are hungry for power and when they catch someone who has the power that they desire slippin u bet your !$# they are gonna tell. By far the dumbest comparison ive heard.

The only thing interesting about that perspective is that some people can actually relate to running to daddy instead of manning up and doing what needs to be done.  Yes he was probably in shock but if he saw what he said he saw i dont understand how he didnt become immediately outraged and try to kill the bastard.  He is beyond soft for not atleast taking the kid out of that situation.  If he didnt have it in him to beat the living crap out of Sandusky fine but atleast take the poor kid away from him.  I can understand being young and not wanting to ruin the life of one of your role models but i dont understand how sandusky isnt immediately crossed off that list of role models once u see him drilling a little kid.  I dont see how u guys can be this understanding when looking from mcquery's pov.  Any man with pride would take immediate action and not just run home tell their dad.  Its sad that some of u are subconsciously kinda admitting that u would have taken route that mcquery did.  Atleast lie and say u wouldve beat the bricks off sandusky instead of trying to get others to understand such a weak mentality.

I really can't believe he hasn't been fired yet.  The only possible explanation is that they dont want him running to the media but if thats the case then they are still playing cover-up instead of doing what is right which is what caused this whole mess in the first place

30t6p3b.gif

I hear ya, but for me in any situation involving a crime where someone can either stop the crime or can report the crime and chooses to do neither versus someone who gets a second hand story report of an incident and doesn't do enough to follow up with the information given I would be more upset with the first person.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong but according to the grand jury report didn't McQueary report to Paterno that he saw Sandusky "horsing around" with a kid in the locker room or did he report to Paterno that he saw a boy getting raped/molested by Sandusky??

why are people playing the sympathy card w/ Paterno? I don't get it.

No offense champ, but you kinda already answered your own question earlier, and I'm not even connected with Penn State....................

No joke, he's second to Jesus Christ in Happy Valley

Originally Posted by sillyputty

When Sandusky goes to prison he won't be alive for long

They HATE child molesters in there. 
I don't think it's even going to get that far. I think he'll commit "suicide" in the next several weeks or so.  

^ Like I said before, he's got the look of someone who they'll find hanging in his home or in a cell. He's going to take the cowards way out once people see through this sham of a defense that they're going to try.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Mcqueary wasn't a victim. Sandusky didn't pray on kids from his type of background. Jon Ritchie was on 1st & ten, he grew up with them, knows sandusky and mcqueary.

Sandusky took advantage of kids from troubled backgrounds because who would believe them? Who would they turn to? he victimized kids who he could bully.

Sandusky used the Penn State facilities for his rapes probably because where else could he do that? No ones in the lockerromms/showers at night.
He couldn't just check in a hotel with a 9 year old lil black kid without heads turning.

penn state was his safe haven, "brazen" doesn't even fit because he knew he was basically the underboss there. Who was gonna turn him in, JoePa? Who had already glossed over one accusation in 1998

Just Disgusting, everyone should be ashamed of themselves as human beings.

yup.

DISGUST!

some of ya'll serious??
f allllll of em, Paterno included.

SMMFH man......

Originally Posted by sillyputty

When Sandusky goes to prison he won't be alive for long

They HATE child molesters in there. 
I don't think it's even going to get that far. I think he'll commit "suicide" in the next several weeks or so.  

It would seem if anyone connected with PSU on the "upper levels" had 1/2 a brain, this would have happened already.....obviously, not unlike many fellas of this nature, dude is either delusional, beyond sick, or completely disconnected to the extent that he has no comprehension of what he's done- doesn't care- and probably never will.  Fact that he basically used this "charity" to fuel his "illness" only begins to convey the type of individual they're dealing with.  Utterly pathetic, sad, and disheartening......
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom