The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

real article but as with anything, consider the source

wash post tends to write slightly right of center
where slightly = always

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Penn State Joe Paterno fans belong to a cult. 

Period.

it's terrible and inexcusable but shut the hell up with your religion BS; this isn't even about Penn State to you it's about preaching and turning everything to religion
If you can't see the similarities, you might be a PSU fan.

I went to the Maryland vs. Notre Dame game on Saturday night. There were a few Penn State fans scattered here and there. A man named Rick was celebrating his 50th birthday and had a Penn State tent set up next to his Suburban. They were grilling food and had plenty of alcohol. I went over to ask if I could join the party.

They told me I was too old.

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

I went to the Maryland vs. Notre Dame game on Saturday night. There were a few Penn State fans scattered here and there. A man named Rick was celebrating his 50th birthday and had a Penn State tent set up next to his Suburban. They were grilling food and had plenty of alcohol. I went over to ask if I could join the party.

shaq-face-300x300.jpg

http://deadspin.com/58590...-a-second-mile-volunteer
ea3ec6832175b1209970b3c8926a7b1e.jpg

PENN STATE SCANDAL
[h1]
[/h1][h1]Judge Who Set Unsecured Bail For Jerry Sandusky Is A Second Mile Volunteer[/h1]
When Jerry Sandusky was initially arraigned, as previously reported by Sara Ganim, prosecutors requested $500,000.00 bail and that Sandusky be required to wear a leg monitor. District Judge Leslie Dutchcot, however, ordered that Sandusky be freed on $100,000 unsecured bail. She ordered that Sandusky be freed and pay nothing unless he failed to show up for a court hearing.

Judge Dutchcot has quite the professional resume. In addition to her duties as district judge, she is of counsel to the firm Goodall & Yurchak. It speaks to the small-town nature of the county, I suppose, that the firm's URL is "centrelaw.com." According to her profile, Judge Dutchcot has been named the State College Lawyer of the Year, completed a "Leadership" program and has served as a counselor at Centre County Law Enforcement Camp Cadet, Inc.

Of course, also according to her profile, Judge Dutchcot is a volunteer for Sandusky's group, The Second Mile. Sandusky turned himself in the morning of Nov. 5, a Saturday, at Judge Dutchot's Centre County office. He was released, under the aforementioned terms, shortly thereafter.

Attorneys often serve charitable foundations in their pro bono capacities, or just volunteer in their spare time, so there is nothing weird about that. It just seems that, given the nature of the charges, the small-town atmosphere, and her relationship to Second Mile, Judge Dutchcot should have recused herself from being involved with this process. Or that could be precisely why she did not.

h/t Luke C.

http://deadspin.com/58590...-a-second-mile-volunteer

This just gets better and better 

Link to SI.com post here.

Joe Paterno’s name has been removed from the Big Ten’s championship football trophy, according to CBS Sports.

"We believe that it would be inappropriate to keep Joe Paterno’s name on the trophy at this time," Big 10 commissioner Jim Delany said, according to CBS. "The trophy and its namesake are intended to be celebratory and aspirational, not controversial. We believe that it’s important to keep the focus on the players and the teams that will be competing in the inaugural championship game."

Paterno was recently dismissed by Penn State University last week after coaching for the past 61 years. The school’s board of directors made the decision to let Paterno go after the public became outraged that the legendary coach knew about accusations of child molestation by Jerry Sandusky and failed to report the incidents to state police.

The trophy will now reportedly be called the Stagg Championship Trophy, named in honor of Amos Alonzo Stagg, a former head football coach at the University of Chicago. Stagg compiled nearly 200 wins between 1892 and 1932.

Oh.

Originally Posted by psk2310

Joe Paterno’s name has been removed from the Big Ten’s championship football trophy, according to CBS Sports.

"We believe that it would be inappropriate to keep Joe Paterno’s name on the trophy at this time," Big 10 commissioner Jim Delany said, according to CBS. "The trophy and its namesake are intended to be celebratory and aspirational, not controversial. We believe that it’s important to keep the focus on the players and the teams that will be competing in the inaugural championship game."

Paterno was recently dismissed by Penn State University last week after coaching for the past 61 years. The school’s board of directors made the decision to let Paterno go after the public became outraged that the legendary coach knew about accusations of child molestation by Jerry Sandusky and failed to report the incidents to state police.

The trophy will now reportedly be called the Stagg Championship Trophy, named in honor of Amos Alonzo Stagg, a former head football coach at the University of Chicago. Stagg compiled nearly 200 wins between 1892 and 1932.

This is a great message and should resonate with all those in charge at other institutions.
A role model means being one AT ALL TIMES.

The "What have you done for me lately" standard has GOT to go. 

Doing good for the community is not the exception, its the rule. Its how you act in situations like this that determine your legacy. 

Paterno failed.

an dee 51o wrote:
StillIn729 wrote:
sillyputty wrote:
Penn State Joe Paterno fans belong to a cult. 

Period.

it's terrible and inexcusable but shut the hell up with your religion BS; this isn't even about Penn State to you it's about preaching and turning everything to religion
If you can't see the similarities, you might be a PSU fan.

Or a theist. 
grin.gif

But its whatever.

They see what they want to see and get mad that other people have the audacity to call them out.

Also, you should actually refute the ACTUAL point of it being a Cult if you want to make a point thats actually relevant.

Instead of getting mad at the fact I have an opinion, how about you actually ADDRESS my opinion? 

I wonder if Penn State would have the guts to remove his name from various buildings around campus if implicated?  What do you all think...especially af 1 & still? 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I wonder if Penn State would have the guts to remove his name from various buildings around campus if implicated?  What do you all think...especially af 1 & still? 

I think it's the prudent thing to do. He might've done a lot of good in the past, but you just can't allow or create an enviroment where children get sexually assualted. It's a crime against humanity. 

In light of the judge not recusing herself, I think any cases civil or criminal need to be tried outside of the state. It's being proven that Pennsylvanians, especially on the east side of the state can't look at this objectively.

I think it's the prudent thing to do. He might've done a lot of good in the past, but you just can't allow or create an enviroment where children get sexually assualted. It's a crime against humanity. 

I agree....no matter what good he's done or how much money he's raised for the university, the recent charges totally outweigh that. 

It's funny, psu students & alumni keep trying to throw that "but" in there regarding all the good that rat bastard did...I feel like I'm talking to my 7 year old trying to explain there is no "but".

Haven't actually chimed in on this yet, because I've had so much running through my head.

My first thought is about those who support JoePa through all this. I think you guys have just packaged this whole scandal up as one phrase instead of considering the specifics. Think about a %@#+%@@ 10 year old boy in the shower w/ a grown @+$ man; think about the specific actions taking place at that scene, and Joe Paterno walks by, sees this little kid playing w/ some grown dude's junk, and he just walks on by.

That's not just a 'child sex scandal', that's a flat out disgusting scene, and for ANY adult to walk in on that scene and do nothing is inexcusable; for a person of power to do nothing is every kind of negligent, and no support should be granted.

That's my first thought; you supporters have undoubtedly extinguished from your mind (or failed to ever consider) the actual acts that took place tht Joe turned a blind eye and a mute voice towards.

My next thought is just disappointment at something I learned a long time ago: our society definitely lashes out at whistleblowers, which definitely causes apprehension in those who know of a certain evil like this. I understand Joe's silence; I just don't care. I get that he didn't want to be the whistleblower; I just wish he would have thought about the things these little boys were doing to these men more than he thought about the dastardly consequences of blowing that whistle.

My brother blew the whistle on something a few years ago: I didn't know any of this, but my mom's husband was fooling around w/ one of hos granddaughters. Started when she was like 5, and she was about 7 when my brother said "Eff this," and did something MAJOR to put a stop to it. Now my mom's husband isn't allowed to be around the girl anymore… and everyone in the family hates my brother for what he did.

Yes, you read that right. My BROTHER is the one no one talks to, the one people ignore now, the one who doesn't get invitations during holidays. The little girl reveres him as a hero and a saviour and everything, but all the adults in the family… his other siblings, our mom, aunts, uncles… he's now on everyone's s--- list. And my mom's husband? Oh, everyone's good w/ him, and they all act like nothing ever happened, even though EVERYONE knew what was going on before.

I'm sure Joe knew of stories like that, and he didn't want to be ostrasized (sp?) the way my brother has been. I get that.

I just don't buy that as a reasonable excuse; I just don't care.

I could inject another story to make this even more personal, but I'll just say this:
- If any of you know of a child being abused, blow the damn whistle, please. Yes, you'll lose friends and you'll be called a liar. If you KNOW what you're talking about, then start talking. Please.

- Please support anyone who won't stand silently when they know of a child being abused. Think about the graphic scenes that kid has lived through, and is hopefully now being rescued from, thanks to a whisteblower.

I know I got off tangent, but that's my take on all this. A couple weeks ago, if you were to ask me who some of my favorite people in sports were, JoePa would have absolutely been in my top 10, if not higher. Now? Now his name leaves a bad taste in my mouth, for personal reasons.

And I hope nothing but the worst for Sandusky and anyone else who actually committed these acts.

I agree....no matter what good he's done or how much money he's raised for the university, the recent charges totally outweigh that. 
seriously ... u gotta remove it all ... it's not about him ... people will know the name ... but the stigma associated with his inaction is not a good look

and to that judge
indifferent.gif
... clown

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Haven't actually chimed in on this yet, because I've had so much running through my head.

My first thought is about those who support JoePa through all this. I think you guys have just packaged this whole scandal up as one phrase instead of considering the specifics. Think about a %@#+%@@ 10 year old boy in the shower w/ a grown @+$ man; think about the specific actions taking place at that scene, and Joe Paterno walks by, sees this little kid playing w/ some grown dude's junk, and he just walks on by.

That's not just a 'child sex scandal', that's a flat out disgusting scene, and for ANY adult to walk in on that scene and do nothing is inexcusable; for a person of power to do nothing is every kind of negligent, and no support should be granted.

That's my first thought; you supporters have undoubtedly extinguished from your mind (or failed to ever consider) the actual acts that took place tht Joe turned a blind eye and a mute voice towards.

My next thought is just disappointment at something I learned a long time ago: our society definitely lashes out at whistleblowers, which definitely causes apprehension in those who know of a certain evil like this. I understand Joe's silence; I just don't care. I get that he didn't want to be the whistleblower; I just wish he would have thought about the things these little boys were doing to these men more than he thought about the dastardly consequences of blowing that whistle.

My brother blew the whistle on something a few years ago: I didn't know any of this, but my mom's husband was fooling around w/ one of hos granddaughters. Started when she was like 5, and she was about 7 when my brother said "Eff this," and did something MAJOR to put a stop to it. Now my mom's husband isn't allowed to be around the girl anymore… and everyone in the family hates my brother for what he did.

Yes, you read that right. My BROTHER is the one no one talks to, the one people ignore now, the one who doesn't get invitations during holidays. The little girl reveres him as a hero and a saviour and everything, but all the adults in the family… his other siblings, our mom, aunts, uncles… he's now on everyone's s--- list. And my mom's husband? Oh, everyone's good w/ him, and they all act like nothing ever happened, even though EVERYONE knew what was going on before.

I'm sure Joe knew of stories like that, and he didn't want to be ostrasized (sp?) the way my brother has been. I get that.

I just don't buy that as a reasonable excuse; I just don't care.

I could inject another story to make this even more personal, but I'll just say this:
- If any of you know of a child being abused, blow the damn whistle, please. Yes, you'll lose friends and you'll be called a liar. If you KNOW what you're talking about, then start talking. Please.

- Please support anyone who won't stand silently when they know of a child being abused. Think about the graphic scenes that kid has lived through, and is hopefully now being rescued from, thanks to a whisteblower.

I know I got off tangent, but that's my take on all this. A couple weeks ago, if you were to ask me who some of my favorite people in sports were, JoePa would have absolutely been in my top 10, if not higher. Now? Now his name leaves a bad taste in my mouth, for personal reasons.

And I hope nothing but the worst for Sandusky and anyone else who actually committed these acts.
not sure if this is my place to say ... but i hope u stood up for ur brother and called out every single member of your family that has taken sides the husband for what he did to the young girl ... b/c i'm truly disgusted by ur story ... our society is so backwards at times ... people that do the right thing get treated as if they did the crime

Originally Posted by sillyputty

You either support Joe Paterno and his cover-up of child abuse. Or you do not.

THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN.

I honestly think there is some degree of in between. I would like to think that people who are supporting Joe Paterno are not supporting child abuse and what he covered up of it. But there are some nut jobs out there so I don't know.

shaq-face-300x300.jpg

yea seriously

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

wow i dont see how your mom can take her mans side over her own son. thats terrible

I don't know if they will but I think they should, Penn State needs a fresh start and anything associated with anyone from this scandal prevents that IMO

Back
Top Bottom