The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Judge Who Freed Sandusky on Unsecured Bail Raised Campaign Funds From Board Members of Sandusky's Charity

Deadspin.com

Wow.  Leslie Dutchtot, the judge who let Jerry Sandusky out of jail on $100,000 bail, took money from several people involved with The Second Mile when she was running for district judge a few years ago.
The news that Dutchtot benefited from contributions from a campaign fundraiser hosted by Bob Poole, the chairperson of The Second Mile, was revealed yesterday by Pennsylvania Representative Mike Vereb, who posted two of Dutchtot's campaign finance reports from May and June of 2007. Poole appears on both of them. Could be two fundraisers. Or two checks cut to Dutchtot on different days. The documents don't specify. Regardless, Poole donated or raised $2,463.02.

But he's not the only one from The Second Mile who brought money into her campaign. Lance Shaner, a big businessman who served on The Second Mile board from 1998 through 2006, donated or raised $1,000 for Dutchtot in May 2007. And his son Mathias chipped in with $196.36. We should also note that Shaner was one of the biggest individual donors to Tom Corbett's 2010 campaign. Shaner gave the current governor $155,550.

And there's one more connection to The Second Mile in these documents. That'd be Daniel Hawbaker, who donated or raised $250 for Dutchtot. Hawbaker is the CEO of Glenn O Hawbaker, Inc., a State College excavation company that's not only a regular donor to The Second Mile but also has one of its vice presidents, Michael Hawbaker, sitting on the charity's central board. (For what it's worth, the Hawbakers have also given a lot of money to Corbett.)

Keep in mind that these are Dutchtot's campaign finance reports from only two months, released by Vereb because they have Poole's name on them. One can only guess what other Second Milers might appear on different reports. Vereb has issued a sternly worded letter to attorney general Linda Kelly requesting that she recuse herself from the case should she have ties to The Second Mile. All documents below:

http://deadspin.com/58601...ers-of-sanduskys-charity
"I won't comment about her decision in that case, but I will say I don't believe any district judge here in Monroe County would have set a bail amount that low for someone charged with what Sandusky is charged with," Monroe County District Attorney David Christine said.

30t6p3b.gif

So many layers to this story....

*Also, in reading Doyel's twitter feed, he said that they are doing this over Thanksgiving (removing Paterno statue) so there are no riots. 

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by dreClark

Not surprised....they're gonna erase the memory of Joe Paterno, bit by bit.    

*It's not so much that he transfered the house over for $1....IT'S THE TIMING!!!

Screen_shot_2011-10-16_at_7.30.19_PM_normal.png

darrenrovell darren rovell

Joe Paterno agreed to transfer his house to his wife for a $1 on June 2, 1997, but didn't sign the agreement until June 23, 2011.

So strange...why did he wait until 4 months ago to actually SIGN the agreement?  You gotta figure that if there is one person in that region who folks will go out of their way to consult/protect, it's Joe Paterno.    

*as far as the judge/second mile...I hope the feds nab every computer and document associated w. that organization. 

So assuming JoePa was doing that to shield his home, do you think he deserved at least that being he is 84 years old and they took his pension?

Seymore CAKE:
Oh so now we're taking shots at K for being political abotu the situation and not picking a side in a matter that honestly isn't his to decide?

Oh ok. Furthermore he's not the 1st nor will he be the last to speak about Joe being from a different era in terms of the way they handled matters.  If a person doesn't just come out and condemn Joe then they're supporting him or hitching their wagon on the train? What part of the game is this? From the way he answered the question it seemed like he didn't want to comment on it at all and tried to stay respectfully in the middle.  But its K who's reveered for his coaching so of course he's in the line of fire the minute someone mentions it to him.
eyes.gif

First, off, you're a Duke fan, so on the subtopic of 'Coach K & PSU', you have a dog in the race. Just saying, your allegiance to Coach K is, at the very least, expected.
wink.gif

2nd: I hate when people see negative words (or even neutral sometimes) and act like it's worse than it really is. We're not taking shots… or at least I'M not taking shots… at Coach K. Like what I just said about your allegiance to Duke, I could see someone (or yourself) saying "Oh snap! Ska taking shots at Cake!" And they'd be wrong. You're a cool dude on here, at least in S&T. No shots fired here; just calling a spade a spade. Same w/ Coach K: his defense of JoePa was flat out wrong. Imagine for a second that instead of a child sex scandal, some OTHER evil was coming to surface here and Coach K was offering the 'back in the day' defense. I could throw out a number of 'back in the day' evils for you to consider, but i'd rather not; just use your imagination and imagine Coach K offering that same defense.

3rd, refusing to call wrong 'wrong' is exactly what lies at the very core of this entire thing. Now, Coach K refusing to call wrong 'wrong' w/ his comments, is that as devastating as JoePa not blowing the whistle? OF COURSE NOT, but it's the same thing to a MUCH lesser degree.

Lengthy SI article is out:

http://sportsillustrated....e/MAG1192198/1/index.htm

November 21, 2011
This Is Penn State
"HAD SANDUSKY NOT BEEN SO BRAZEN, HAD HE SIMPLY RESTRICTED HIMSELF TO THE FOOTBALL FACILITIES, THERE IS LITTLE TO SUGGEST HE WOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT. FOR SANDUSKY—IF NOT FOR THE BOYS—PENN STATE FOOTBALL WAS A SAFE HAVEN."
L. JON WERTHEIM, DAVID EPSTEIN

NobleKane:
23ska909red02:
Completely shocked at Coach K's comments.
why? hes another one of them college coaches who people think are gods. who prolly walk around the campus like his %%## don't stink 
laugh.gif

Oh, I don't so much have a problem w/ that. But "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!" is way different than "No, I get why he saw kids get molested and didn't say anything." At least in my mind those are two completely different things. :/

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Lengthy SI article is out:

http://sportsillustrated....e/MAG1192198/1/index.htm 

From the article:

In an eerie twist, the local prosecutor at the time, Ray Gricar, disappeared in 2005. His laptop and hard drive were recovered from the Susquehanna River, irretrievably damaged, and his body was never found. It made for hot conspiracy theories last week. Contacted by SI, Tony Gricar, Ray's nephew and the family's spokesman, would not dismiss anything out of hand. He said that while his uncle was indifferent to the football program, he knew he would need an airtight case. "There [were] far-reaching consequences for Ray bringing a case against Sandusky," Tony Gricar said. Borrowing a line from The Wire, he added, "You come at the king, you best not miss."

More...

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
Hustling @sganim confirms Tom Bradley lived w/ Mike McQueary http://bit.ly/t8FBOB

*Quotes are from the link in the above tweet....

Tom Bradley, the interim Penn State head football coach following the firing of Joe Paterno, testified before the grand jury in the case against Jerry Sandusky.

A summary of Bradley’s testimony is not outlined in the 23-page grand jury presentment, but a source close to the investigation confirmed Bradley did appear and testified in over the summer

Tuesday, in response to a The Patriot-News question, Bradley said that he did share a residence with assistant coach Mike McQueary around 2006 or 2007. McQueary has testified that he witnessed Sandusky raping a boy in a campus shower. Bradley said that when they shared a home, Bradley was spending most of his time at his home in Pittsburgh, and McQueary was staying there only as an interim option. He was planning to buy a house with his soon-to-be-wife.

http://www.pennlive.com/m..._among_those_who_te.html

Bradley trying to cover his %@$...but I find it hard to believe that he lived w. McQueary and didn't know about Sandusky.

and the bombshell....

Mike McQueary's statement to police doesn't say he stopped attack or notified police about Sandusky allegations

Penn State assistant football coach Mike McQueary never mentioned that he talked to police in 2002 after witnessing an alleged sexual assault by Jerry Sandusky of a young boy, according to a hand-written statement McQueary gave to police during the recent grand jury investigation.

The Patriot-News has viewed a copy of the statement and verified it through a source close to the investigation.

http://www.pennlive.com/m...tatement_in_line_wi.html

The weebay gif could be used every day as this story develops

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

In general, I find it hard to believe Bradley had been there since 1979 and didn't know Sandusky was a molester

All in the game yo. All in the game.

Hank - thanks for the link.

Great article.

Their domain is Happy Valley, and while it's the Happy that's stressed, the Valley is significant too. For a prominent university, Penn State is remarkably isolated, nestled in the hinterlands of Pennsylvania, six hours from the nearest conference rival and three hours from a major city. (As many learned last week, the impenetrability is heightened by a status that exempts PSU from meaningful state open-records laws. Many documents related to the Sandusky case, such as e-mails between university officials, are not subject to public disclosure.) Like Russian nesting dolls, there are levels of isolation within Penn State, the innermost of which is the football team, which has separate facilities from the rest of the athletic programs and a lavish training facility all its own.

Such insularity has worked to the benefit of the team's image. While the Nittany Lions eagerly trumpeted to recruits that they had never faced serious NCAA scrutiny or sanction, it has hardly been a spotless program. Three years ago ESPN reported that between 2002 and '08, 46 players had been charged with a total of 163 crimes ranging from public urination to murder. In March, SI published arrest tallies for all the programs in its Top 25. Penn State tied for fourth, with 16 players on the '10 opening-game roster who had been charged with a crime. Last week Harrisburg's Patriot-News, which broke the story of the Sandusky investigation in March, made passing reference to "a player-related knife fight in a campus dining hall" that was broken up by assistant coach Mike McQueary in '08.

In 2005, defensive end LaVon Chisley was quietly kicked off the team for academic reasons and, according to prosecutors, began racking up debts. He was never drafted, and that summer he murdered his former roommate, a campus marijuana dealer. Chisley is serving a life sentence. Yet when asked about the incident at a press conference after the conviction, Paterno brushed it aside: "I have no comment on that.... Why should I?" And when ESPN questioned Paterno about the spate of player arrests, he responded, "I don't know anything about it." In 2003, after Tony Johnson, a wide receiver and the son of a Penn State assistant coach, was arrested for DUI, Paterno complained that "it will get all blown out of proportion because he's a football player. But he didn't do anything to anybody." While the coach apologized for that last remark, the image of Penn State as a haven of virtue—at least by the limbo-bar standards of big-time college football—persisted.

Karen G. Muir, a State College attorney who has represented Penn State football players in legal trouble, says she has seen firsthand how the team will sacrifice an individual for the sake of the program. After Penn State defensive tackle Chris Baker, later an NFL player, was involved in two off-field fights, Muir says she planned to go to trial to defend him from criminal charges, yet coaches prevailed on her client to take a plea bargain, thus sparing the program protracted embarrassment. "My experience is that Penn State football closes ranks and their focus is on the program as opposed to the individual," Muir says. "The program didn't care as much what was best for my kid."

In general, I find it hard to believe Bradley had been there since 1979 and didn't know Sandusky was a molester

I know this isn't a comical thread but
roll.gif
at the bottomless "The Wire" quotes this page

Originally Posted by Storm2006

I know this isn't a comical thread but
roll.gif
at the bottomless "The Wire" quotes this page

And I keeps one in the chamber in case you pondering.

Chamber being the brain, I suppose. *whistles*

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by rashi

My wife (who's a defense attorney) says Sandusky's attorney has something planned for trial by allowing Sandusky to do the interview.

As much as we think that Sandusky incriminated himself by saying he enjoys being around young people, ect.doesn't mean that he'll be convicted. My wife tends to think (if she was Sandusky's attorney) if McQueery that he would be a bad witness for the Prosecution.

Rashi...ask her about what would happen if Sandusky pleaded insanity? 

It's beyond that at this point. Pleading insanity to child sex abuse doesn't work because they have intention on doing it and plan out how they carry it out.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by NobleKane

why? hes another one of them college coaches who people think are gods. who prolly walk around the campus like his %%## don't stink 
laugh.gif

Oh so now we're taking shots at K for being political abotu the situation and not picking a side in a matter that honestly isn't his to decide?

Oh ok.  Furthermore he's not the 1st nor will he be the last to speak about Joe being from a different era in terms of the way they handled matters.  If a person doesn't just come out and condemn Joe then they're supporting him or hitching their wagon on the train? What part of the game is this? From the way he answered the question it seemed like he didn't want to comment on it at all and tried to stay respectfully in the middle.  But its K who's reveered for his coaching so of course he's in the line of fire the minute someone mentions it to him.
eyes.gif
This just illustrates Kane's point. It was hardly a shot at Coach K, if anything it was a more a shot at the fan mentality and Cake you took the bait. Coach K isn't a God, he can be wrong about something and if someone says he's wrong, it doesn't mean they're calling shots. 
For the record I have a tremendous amount of respect for K, last night when Vitale claimed he was the best coach of all time in any sport major American sport, I thought long and hard about it and pretty much came to the conclusion that I agree. He still aint no God. 

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Old man was tipped off that the hammer was dropping
The rabbit hole is sooooo much deeper than we're ready for
30t6p3b.gif
Don't know if the comparison has been made yet, but I can't stop thinking about how eerily similar this whole situation is to Conspiracy of Silence
Based on DeCamp's riveting book, The Franklin Cover-up[/i], Conspiracy of Silencebegins with the shut-down of Nebraska's Franklin Community FederalCredit Union after a raid by federal agencies in 1988 revealed that $40million was missing. When the Nebraska legislature launched a probeinto the affair, what initially looked like a financial swindle soonexploded into a startling tale of drugs, money laundering, and anationwide child sex abuse ring. Nineteen months later, the legislativecommittee's chief investigator died suddenly and violently. A dozenothers linked to the Franklin case investigation died strange andmysterious deaths.

So why have you never heard of the Franklin cover-up? Originally scheduled to air in May of 1994 on the Discovery Channel, Conspiracy of Silence was yanked at the last minute due to formidable pressure applied by top politicians. Some very powerful people did not want you to watch this documentary.
That %+$! made it to the front page of The Washington Times with an inflammatory headline...and then magically went away.

100318_conspiracy_of_silence.jpg

If you've never seen it, take the hour and watch it. Mind-blowing @!%! :

Definitely have a gut feeling this Penn State situation is going to go A LOT deeper and be something akin to what was uncovered in Conspiracy of Silence. There's too many dots connecting, and way too much money & power that were at stake.

Unfortunately like dmx already said, I've seen this script too many times before. We're never going to see true justice
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

My wife (who's a defense attorney) says Sandusky's attorney has something planned for trial by allowing Sandusky to do the interview.

As much as we think that Sandusky incriminated himself by saying he enjoys being around young people, ect.doesn't mean that he'll be convicted. My wife tends to think (if she was Sandusky's attorney) if McQueery that he would be a bad witness for the Prosecution.

Yo...watch dude get a mistrial/case dismissed.
I FEEL it coming...I really do...

That interview was all public misdirection...No lawyer is that stupid. 

Real talk though... I want to hear about this DA mysterious death...granted hes a target anyways as DA...this is just too wild.

Back
Top Bottom