The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Everything seems pretty warrented. It's about what I thought they would get.

If you want some comic relief go read the psu forums on scout/rival. These people are CRAZY.

To punish the football program, you have fewer talented players on roster.  When you're talking about depth chart, instead of having a 5 star starter and a 4 star backup.  Now you can have a 5 star starter but now you're backup is a 1 or 2 star.. That's HUGE impact! 

PS- And now there's a greater impact on making sure a 5 star is indeed a 5 star player because with a loss of scholarships you can't afford to "miss" on a player..
Kids going to PSU on scholarship for football can definitely find another school to offer them a ride too.
It hurts the program the most because they will lose their best recruits.
Taking scholarships is the most effective way to completely debilitate a football program, especially in the Big 10. It really does hurt the students, but they offset that by allowing them to transfer without any penalty. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them transferred, the football program is butt now anyways. Paterno's been holding us back the last 10 years and he should've retired years ago. But that's a whole nother discussion
Thanks. You guys basically confirmed my assumptions about this. I would think there would be some other way though but I guess there isnt.

Big Ten weighs in and bans PSU from any Big Ten bowls for the next 4 years and all fall revenue for the next 4 years.(something along these lines)

Got this from another site:

Now Penn State's last win was Nov 1997 against Wisconsin. Ironically, who was the starting QB? MIKE MCQUEARY.

roll.gif

Hopefully a huge portion of that $60 mil will go towards Penn State's THON since that money is intended for children anyway

the only thing that makes me cringe about these penn state sanctions is, this whole thing is outside the NCAA's jurisdiction.  everyone who did the harm is already dead or going to jail... the only person this affects is kids who were 4-8 years old when all of this was going down.  if legitimate prison time didn't deter them, you think there are football officials at schools around the country going "oh no, we better not try to bury any of these scandals in case we get punished by the ncaa?"  i get that they felt the need to do SOMETHING to establish their authority, but these sanctions are stupid.

I guess you can look at it as them reacting to the coverup by the school's leadership and holding the football program in higher esteem than the kids and school, but I just don't like the punishment coming down after everyone involved is already gone.  Where was the NCAA when Sandusky initially got accused?  Why not investigate then?

At least they're still allowed to play football every Saturday.
We all know that the NCAA is terribly run in terms of its rule enforcement (among other things).  It's pretty much unavoidable in these situations that the kids feel the effect of probation as well as the school.  The biggest goal is to have an impact on the school which this most definitely will.  Allowing the kids to transfer at least gives those who couldn't anticipate this to avoid some of the consequences.  The reduction of scholarships will be a deterrent for recruits.

You're right in that the INDIVIDUALS who should be punished are outside of the NCAA's jurisdiction and it's a little too late.  This was a complete lack of institutional control in that the main figures at the university and athletic department failed to act, that football became bigger than what's right.  Probation/NCAA sanctions never happen as they violations are committed so in every circumstance there are people involved who are no longer in those positions, it always impacts others.  It becomes a matter of the institution becoming responsible for the actions of those in power.

Quote:
As a Miami fan...feelsgoodman **** penn st
Miami has to find victories somehow.  And your day is still to come, don't get too giddy.

Indirect Death Penalty :smokin :smokin :smokin

Condolences to the current players/coaches/students that have to suffer but you can thank the grown men covering up for a pedophile for that :smh: :x

As always with sweeping punishments there are individuals that are punished without having anything to do with the crime. Impossible to avoid and unfortunate for them (but how it goes). I will say I think the current PSU admins are doing a pretty good job of trying to get the university moving in the right direction and accepting various punishments/requests. Just need to keep making positive decisions and move forward

As always with sweeping punishments there are individuals that are punished without having anything to do with the crime. Impossible to avoid and unfortunate for them (but how it goes). I will say I think the current PSU admins are doing a pretty good job of trying to get the university moving in the right direction and accepting various punishments/requests. Just need to keep making positive decisions and move forward
All of this. 

Rodney Erickson is doing a great job so far. He's making sure his voice and presence is felt with the students. Dude sounds out emails like once a week and after every major event. Also offered to have fireside chats in the student union during this whole debacle. The future of the University is in good hands with the current and new staff. 

cant believe some of the students were saying the penalties were to harsh. they are lucky to still have a football program. i mean a decade plus of top to bottom covering up of CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE is nothing to sneeze at. they deserved no lenience at all, IMO.

All of this. 

Rodney Erickson is doing a great job so far. He's making sure his voice and presence is felt with the students. Dude sounds out emails like once a week and after every major event. Also offered to have fireside chats in the student union during this whole debacle. The future of the University is in good hands with the current and new staff. 
People are so damn NEEDY at times.

Its not even that serious. Own up to it and take your punishment. Stop asking to be coddled. 

One thing i've realized after undergrad is how seriously people take things once they're in school. Its like they need their universities and mascots to identify themselves. That "we are penn state" thing just show how much colleges turn these kids into blind sycophants for 4 years. Its like an indoctrination. Its REALLY not that big of a deal. 

You're just a student at a university. Play your damn part. Go to class and get that degree. If football is the main thing on your mind as a non-athlete then you're losing. A football program is a privilege. 

Schools get worse punishments for doing far less. A couple players getting a car or some tattoos is a victimless crime. Penn State got off EASY if you ask me. Whats 60M over 5 years? Penn State raised 200M in donor money last year I believe. 

Last edited:
People are so damn NEEDY at times.

Its not even that serious. Own up to it and take your punishment. Stop asking to be coddled. 

One thing i've realized after undergrad is how seriously people take things once they're in school. Its like they need their universities and mascots to identify themselves. That "we are penn state" thing just show how much colleges turn these kids into blind sycophants for 4 years. Its like an indoctrination. Its REALLY not that big of a deal. 

You're just a student at a university. Play your damn part. Go to class and get that degree. If football is the main thing on your mind as a non-athlete then you're losing. A football program is a privilege. 

Schools get worse punishments for doing far less. A couple players getting a car or some tattoos is a victimless crime. Penn State got off EASY if you ask me. Whats 60M over 5 years? Penn State raised 200M in donor money last year I believe. 
I think Penn St got everything it deserved but while the students need to understand that the punishments are justified, it's understandable that it affects them as well.  Yes, the primary purpose is to get a degree and I doubt that football is the MAIN thing on their mind (maybe for some, who knows) but there's no doubt that college football plays a big part in campus life and the spirit of the university at any major D1 school.  At some schools, the opportunity to attend games is event built into recreation or other fees.  College students might go overboard but they also need an escape from only academics and at a school like Penn State, football provides that.

Like I said, the students need to realize that the punishment is just and the Paterno supporters/those who don't look at the bigger picture have gone overboard but there's no doubt it'll affect their experience.  Like it or not but sports can help shape the life of a university.
Don't agree with his wins being vacated.
Why?  If anything, when it comes down to it, that has the littlest real world impact of these sanctions and is the easiest decision.  Those wins are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and this whole situation is so much bigger than that.

I am failing to see why these penalties are worse than the death penalty. Someone care to break it down?

When you go to a university you develop a bond that is pretty darn strong. I understand that relationship way more than people and their attachment to pro teams

Don't agree with his wins being vacated.

Its like getting rid of Reggie's Heisman. Its trivial. We all saw him earn it (whether or not you thought he was actually coaching is a different story). I was never a fan of vacating wins several years later.
:wow: at the penalties. They are essentially a D2 school for in my opinion the next decade +. Took SMU almost 20 years to get back to decency, might take PSU longer. Fully deserved though

Gotta feel for the fans and players though. They did nothing and are getting punished for it, but for something this serious there is no alternative.

Back
Top Bottom