The RETRO Gaming Thread!

I work in Marketing for Retro Gaming company. Don’t wanna come in here to shove our line down your face so i won’t mention the company.

But...I met with some Walmart and Target reps at CES and they both said the PS Classic has been the most disappointing product in a long time :lol: :smh:

Your employer better not be ATGames! :smh::stoneface:

Apart from the price and overall presentation/interface issues did they really expect an early 3D console to do numbers though?

Your employer better not be ATGames! :smh::stoneface:

Apart from the price and overall presentation/interface issues did they really expect an early 3D console to do numbers though?

Nah I’m not at ATGames :lol:

I don’t think they expected crazy numbers but they said it staraight up tanked. Like, they already have inventory backed up :lol:

im sure they thought it was gonna create a nes classic type of hype. for them to slash the price by 40% within the first month just means that it sucks and they know it.

Nah I’m not at ATGames :lol:

I don’t think they expected crazy numbers but they said it staraight up tanked. Like, they already have inventory backed up :lol:

That ps1 will probably be Ross/Marshall’s bound soon. $34.99 here we gooooooo!

im sure they thought it was gonna create a nes classic type of hype. for them to slash the price by 40% within the first month just means that it sucks and they know it.

Their margins on that joint must've been pretty massive to begin with. There was basically little to no R&D involved with the damn thing. The 'development' team in charge of the UI and software package must've spent nothing more than a month on it. :lol:

Last edited:
I’m probably in the minority on the opinion, but the OG sonic is garbage and almost unplayable now. I don’t know why but the mechanics are so much worse than I remember. I haven’t had this problem with any OG game I used to play. I can pick up NES Mario and still have fun for hours. Sonic I wanna turn off after 5 minutes

I work in Marketing for Retro Gaming company. Don’t wanna come in here to shove our line down your face so i won’t mention the company.

But...I met with some Walmart and Target reps at CES and they both said the PS Classic has been the most disappointing product in a long time :lol: :smh:
Asking for your personal opinion how far do you think this fad will go. Do you think it will continue up to perhaps N64 reto systems, Dreamcast, Turbo Grafix. I would love for a retro Neo Geo system, they are crazy expensive on various sites. I just want to play that side scrolling 2 player Ninja game. I remember playing a Neo Geo around age 10 once and loved it. Never had the chance to play it again, nobody else had one.

You have to take it apart apply heat to the edges of the screen. I’ve seen it done with a solder pen.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing this method on youtube but I didn't have the special screwdriver needed to take apart the GameBoy and just forgot about it until now. I think I'm going to try it.

giphy.gif

I’m probably in the minority on the opinion, but the OG sonic is garbage and almost unplayable now. I don’t know why but the mechanics are so much worse than I remember. I haven’t had this problem with any OG game I used to play. I can pick up NES Mario and still have fun for hours. Sonic I wanna turn off after 5 minutes

Maybe you just didn’t like it much to begin with, now you don’t have patience for it as an adult. I’m like that with old movies. I’ll go back after a few years and go “Meh, it’s okay”.

Asking for your personal opinion how far do you think this fad will go. Do you think it will continue up to perhaps N64 reto systems, Dreamcast, Turbo Grafix. I would love for a retro Neo Geo system, they are crazy expensive on various sites. I just want to play that side scrolling 2 player Ninja game. I remember playing a Neo Geo around age 10 once and loved it. Never had the chance to play it again, nobody else had one.

Personally, I think there will be an N64. The company I work for, however, does not. We have been making accessories for the NES, SNES, and PS Classics and thus far we are operating as if there will be no N64.I also think a gameboy classic may be on its way.

I could see NEO GEO doing something similar. There are so many competitors in the business that I think even if they don’t do it themselves, they’ll license their games out to someone who will.One of my favorite games ever is the NEO GEO World Cup game. Spent so much money on that arcade :lol: I think I saw it on the PSN store the other day. I may need to cop

I wonder if PART of it is because PLAYSTATIONS (Even though we are on 4) are still around.

Sure, Nintendo still exists (Switch/WII) but the Cartridged system is SUCH a far off memory that it immediately brings on a natural retro feel.

Playing a PS1, does it really feel that far removed?

What is your reasoning for why it has flopped

I will pick up the ps1 classic at the $29.99 range.
@22stylez See this? :smh:

I wonder if PART of it is because PLAYSTATIONS (Even though we are on 4) are still around.

Sure, Nintendo still exists (Switch/WII) but the Cartridged system is SUCH a far off memory that it immediately brings on a natural retro feel.

Playing a PS1, does it really feel that far removed?

I have heard people say just what you said. We’re getting too far ahead. But idk, I would pay good money for a well-made PS2 classic :lol:

They basically had the perfect storm for a flop. They came in at $100 which was ridiculous to begin with. The NES came out at $60 and the SNES at $80. They had an underwhelming games list. I would have expected Crash Bandicoot and Suikoden. I understand the double licensing issue with Tomb Raider so I won’t fault them for that. But Compare the games list with Nintendo’s classics. Why would I spend more money for a lesser product? Once you actually play one (or watch a video of someone playing like I did) You see how little effort they put into it. It looks like a raspberry pi console that you pay a youtuber to make for you.

And lastly...as much as I hate nintendo’s strategy as a consumer, they know how to build hype. The PS Classic was way too readily available. Imo they should have done a short run for the first orders and have people talking about how hard it is to get one. I saw people camping out for NES and SNES classcis when those were bing released :lol:

Personally, I think the main reason is the PS1 wasn’t THAT great/popular of a console imo. I don’t ever hear anyone reminisce about the PS1 like I hear NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 etc.

I personally own both the NES and SNES classic editions. I never once thought about buying the PS1 :lol:

I have heard people say just what you said. We’re getting too far ahead. But idk, I would pay good money for a well-made PS2 classic :lol:

They basically had the perfect storm for a flop. They came in at $100 which was ridiculous to begin with. The NES came out at $60 and the SNES at $80. They had an underwhelming games list. I would have expected Crash Bandicoot and Suikoden. I understand the double licensing issue with Tomb Raider so I won’t fault them for that. But Compare the games list with Nintendo’s classics. Why would I spend more money for a lesser product? Once you actually play one (or watch a video of someone playing like I did) You see how little effort they put into it. It looks like a raspberry pi console that you pay a youtuber to make for you.

And lastly...as much as I hate nintendo’s strategy as a consumer, they know how to build hype. The PS Classic was way too readily available. Imo they should have done a short run for the first orders and have people talking about how hard it is to get one. I saw people camping out for NES and SNES classcis when those were bing released :lol:

Personally, I think the main reason is the PS1 wasn’t THAT great/popular of a console imo. I don’t ever hear anyone reminisce about the PS1 like I hear NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 etc.

I personally own both the NES and SNES classic editions. I never once thought about buying the PS1 :lol:
Hell still have my PS2 plugged into a TV in my basement, tried to play Final Fantasy XII. I couldn't find my Dark Cloud 2 disc.

My G titang545 titang545 there is an official Neo Geo mini - however it's got its own set of issues and has been reviewed as being average to below average. You can buy controllers and hook it up to your TV. Might be worth checking out if you can get one for really cheap, definitely not worth even close to what they're asking for retail.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/neogeomini/

This is an interesting take as I'm in my mid-30s and was a huge Sega & Nintendo guy around that time. I low-key didn't like the 'new jack' Sony PSX stepping into the scene and destroying both the aforementioned and I did NOT own one.

If anything I think the original PSX was way more popular at the time due to the rampant piracy on it. Interestingly, I think that the same piracy leads to it to be forgotten quite easily as there was no real value in having stacks/spindles of CD-Rs.

Last edited:

Maybe you just didn’t like it much to begin with, now you don’t have patience for it as an adult. I’m like that with old movies. I’ll go back after a few years and go “Meh, it’s okay”.

calibeebee calibeebee I'll second TURBO UNO TURBO UNO and agree that I never cared much for the game even when it launched. Mario on the NES/SNES was weaker visually but allowed the player to take different approaches to completing the level. Sonic's overall level design seemed to prefer speed and memorization.

I got a Genesis around the time Sonic 2 came out, so I never had an emotional attachment to Sonic 1.

My folks had it but Sonic 2 was my game.

I understand Sonic 1 was a good game, but if I never laid eyes on it again, I would be fine. I won't say the same for Sonic 2

Back
Top Bottom