The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Pat the NES punk had a recent vid where they started talking about newer consoles being considered “retro”. The consoles in question were the GameCube, PS2 and OG Xbox.

Do you guys consider these consoles “retro” since they’re 20 years old?

Personally, I do. The year 2000 was a looong time ago .
I consider a console retro once it's 2 gen older.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO there's the age and the fact that these joints were purely physical media also - although I'm not sure if the OG XBox had game patches as it was closer to a PC in terms of specifications.

Facts, G.

There are some who are still stuck on thinking that because they (PS2, GameCube,Xbox) didn’t have blocky 2D sprite games it shouldn’t be considered retro. Ian (pat’s buddy) also said that these consoles might not be retro to us but they certainly are to those who grew up playing them as they’re now full grown adults. This is their Atari,NES, Genesis. I hope these younger adults learn from us and get their consoles now while they’re still relatively cheap and attainable. Everything goes up in value.

EDIT: Stopped by the thrift store and got a Sony PSP (Model-1001) for $10. Also picked up...

PS1 Mortal Kombat 4
PS1 James Bond 007 Tomorrow never dies
PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV

Last edited:
Really wish we could get the Marvel vs Capcom games on newer consoles. How much would it really cost in licensing? I'm assuming that's the issue anyways. At least make Darkstalkers backwards compatible. Shouldn't be licensing issues there.

Tired of having to plug in my Xbox 360 and hope nothing bad happens.

Anything liscensed I understand. But seriously what does capcom have to lose by porting over darkstalkers resurrection to current gen.

Facts, G.

There are some who are still stuck on thinking that because they (PS2, GameCube,Xbox) didn’t have blocky 2D sprite games it shouldn’t be considered retro. Ian (pat’s buddy) also said that these consoles might not be retro to us but they certainly are to those who grew up playing them as they’re now full grown adults. This is their Atari,NES, Genesis. I hope these younger adults learn from us and get their consoles now while they’re still relatively cheap and attainable. Everything goes up in value.

EDIT: Stopped by the thrift store and got a Sony PSP (Model-1001) for $10. Also picked up...

PS1 Mortal Kombat 4
PS1 James Bond 007 Tomorrow never dies
PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV
The best portable console for 10 dollars ? Nice !

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0025.jpg

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0026.jpg

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0027.jpg

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0028.jpg

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0029.jpg

Sega-Visions-Issue-08_0030.jpg

Can it be a modern game? If so try Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Amazing game.
Yeah already played that though :lol:. I should've added- I've played Hollow Knight, Super Metroid, SOTN, the Oris, Blasphemous, Bloodstained, and Metroid Prime.

I never got around to giving this game a try myself, but a friend of mine swears Axiom Verge is a great game.

Now that I think about it, I need to put in on my to-play list.

Thought of another one:

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition - It's super hard if you want the good ending though. You'll be cursing the game to high heaven in a few spots if you don't think you can live with the bad ending

Last edited:
I never got around to giving this game a try myself, but a friend of mine swears Axiom Verge is a great game.

Thought of another one:

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition - It's super hard if you want the good ending though. You'll be cursing the game to high heaven in a few spots if you don't think you can live with the bad ending
Those are both good games.

Thought of another one:

I always see praise for Axiom Verge, I'll have to check it out. I've seen Environmental Station Alpha mentioned a lot too. Might have to see what that's about.

Thought of another one:

Guacamelee is :nthat:

stick stick Check out Hyperlight Drifter and Dead Cells

Last edited:
I don't think there is a release date for the Ninja Turtles game yet. I hope it comes out this year.

Seeing all these magazine scans makes me wish I'd kept more of my old stuff. Mostly still have a lot of Game Fan issues and old strategy guides. I think the oldest magazine I have is an issue of Video Games and Computer Entertainment with the Super Famicom on the cover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom