The RETRO Gaming Thread!

EXQlMBsX0AI2Q8-.jpg

:rofl:
My friends didn't know you can use the joystick to automatically kicked out of a pin.. thus making me..

G.O.A.T

Majoras mask is really really growing on me. Wasn’t feeling it at first. It’s so different from any other Zelda game I’ve ever played. At first I was bored with what felt like a game of mini tasks to complete. Instead of fighting bad guys and conquering dungeons, I’m running around looking for fairies or something .

Anyways I continued playing it out of boredom and just curiosity to see everything there is to offer. The gameplay doesn’t get very fun but the nuances of the game are really cool. The connection you start to get with the townspeople and their lives. The things that change during the day, depending on the hour, or which day it is.

One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game, was running into this guy on the final day right before the moon crashes into the town
5A1C4E6C-0D50-46A9-9B13-1E3F27E46ECC.png

If you’re familiar with the Zelda franchise, you know the postman is a hilarious character. Sprinting around all day and night obsessed with 1 thing: delivering mail on time. On the final day, he’s kneeling inside the post office distressed and crying. Torn between his duties and his life. Saying that he wants to flee the town so bad but he CANNOT ABANDON HIS RESPONSIBILITIES as a mail carrier.

I now realize that this game is not about the classic Zelda stuff we all know and love. It’s about these deep connections with the characters. The deeper backstories. The immersion. These heartfelt connections took me a while to appreciate, but I’m definitely impressed and can see the value in this concept overshadowing the gameplay.

Majoras mask is really really growing on me. Wasn’t feeling it at first. It’s so different from any other Zelda game I’ve ever played. At first I was bored with what felt like a game of mini tasks to complete. Instead of fighting bad guys and conquering dungeons, I’m running around looking for fairies or something .

Anyways I continued playing it out of boredom and just curiosity to see everything there is to offer. The gameplay doesn’t get very fun but the nuances of the game are really cool. The connection you start to get with the townspeople and their lives. The things that change during the day, depending on the hour, or which day it is.

One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a video game, was running into this guy on the final day right before the moon crashes into the town
5A1C4E6C-0D50-46A9-9B13-1E3F27E46ECC.png

If you’re familiar with the Zelda franchise, you know the postman is a hilarious character. Sprinting around all day and night obsessed with 1 thing: delivering mail on time. On the final day, he’s kneeling inside the post office distressed and crying. Torn between his duties and his life. Saying that he wants to flee the town so bad but he CANNOT ABANDON HIS RESPONSIBILITIES as a mail carrier.

I now realize that this game is not about the classic Zelda stuff we all know and love. It’s about these deep connections with the characters. The deeper backstories. The immersion. These heartfelt connections took me a while to appreciate, but I’m definitely impressed and can see the value in this concept overshadowing the gameplay.

I'm one of the few that likes Majoras Mask more than Ocarina

I'm one of the few that likes Majoras Mask more than Ocarina

Is it possible to get through this game without a guide? They do a pretty terrible job of helping you out. Everything is locked. 50 tasks to complete, in order to get to the next step, and it’s almost impossible to figure out where to start. There’s no distinction between a task that will give you a ruby, or a heart piece, or unlock the next progression of the game, or a mask, etc. none. So you’re left with talking to every single character in the game at every different hour of every different day to see if something changes? Is that my option without a strategy guide?

For instance. Just completed the snow head temple. Fairy says “we gotta go to the bay temple next.” Cool. I go there and there’s a gate to ever get to the area. “You need a horse to get over that fence!” Cool. I’ll search for a horse. Found Epona locked behind……..a fence. No clues on how to get into that fence. Everyone in milk land ranch says something cryptic when spoken to. Lady with amnesia? Floating balloon that just explodes when I shoot it? Okay I’ll talk to every towns person with every mask I’ve found so far. This just starts me on a path of getting absolutely nothing done in the game until the moon crashes into the town or I have to warp back to day 1 and start over again and again and again.

Is that the essence of the strategy without using a guide or looking up answers? And how possible is it to do without? Ps, I’m not asking for any hints or clues.

Is it possible to get through this game without a guide? They do a pretty terrible job of helping you out. Everything is locked. 50 tasks to complete, in order to get to the next step, and it’s almost impossible to figure out where to start. There’s no distinction between a task that will give you a ruby, or a heart piece, or unlock the next progression of the game, or a mask, etc. none. So you’re left with talking to every single character in the game at every different hour of every different day to see if something changes? Is that my option without a strategy guide?

For instance. Just completed the snow head temple. Fairy says “we gotta go to the bay temple next.” Cool. I go there and there’s a gate to ever get to the area. “You need a horse to get over that fence!” Cool. I’ll search for a horse. Found Epona locked behind……..a fence. No clues on how to get into that fence. Everyone in milk land ranch says something cryptic when spoken to. Lady with amnesia? Floating balloon that just explodes when I shoot it? Okay I’ll talk to every towns person with every mask I’ve found so far. This just starts me on a path of getting absolutely nothing done in the game until the moon crashes into the town or I have to warp back to day 1 and start over again and again and again.

Is that the essence of the strategy without using a guide or looking up answers? And how possible is it to do without? Ps, I’m not asking for any hints or clues.
Have never been able to complete the game without a strategy guide. A lot if not all the puzzles/quests can only be completed by going to a specific location/doing an action at a specific time so it will force you to either go back in time to the first day or wait until the specific sequence is triggered. When I was a kid I only finished the first dungeon and could not figure out how to continue until I got older cuz having a timer stressed me out :lol:

I've actually been wanting to play MM without a guide and without using the Inverted Song of Time for awhile now but haven't gotten around to it. I think the Bomber's Notebook sort of acts like a scratch pad to help you follow along and figure out what to do next in relation to each character. Better off just using a guide though tbh.

I can give you a couple of hints for Epona without spelling it out completely :lol:.

You have to visit the Ranch before day 3 to be able to get Epona

The Goron Mask and a very large explosive will get you there in time

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda. I love all the sidequests and little intricacies of the story.

I've never played it without a guide :lol: I don't know how someone could get through it without one

Back
Top Bottom