The Tyler Perry conundrum

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

the thing is, movies like menace to society and boyz in tha hood were SERIOUS social commentaries...

any stereotypes present in the movie are shown in a negative light...

the main characters are trying to be different...to step out of the stereotypical cycle....

oftentimes they have strong family and role models...highlighting positive individuals in such a negative subject matter.

stereotypes were MADE from menace to society and boyz in tha hood, not the other way around. Those movies didn't perpetuate stereotypes or make light of the subject matter.

those movies portrayed REALITY.....that's how life was...and still is...for a large number of african americans...

O-dog's character, as stereotypical as it's BECOME, was a much more important, realistic and deep character than madea....and anybody making an argument that they are in the same vein is ridiculous.

just because those powerful movies have become cult status in the african american community doesnt mean they are in any way, shape or form akin to tyler perry ****ery.
My man...this all day.

An all this can be said for "Do The Right Thing"  as well. Spike Lee's greatest work to date IMO.
pimp.gif
Tyler Perry, although I don't particularly like him and feel the same way most people do in this thread. I feel that the way he uses certain characters i.e. Madea for comic relief, outweigh the actual story meant to be told and heard in the movie.

Why did I get married, showed all sides of black relationships. (the loud/rude black chick, unfortunately, that's how many black women are now a days. it's that whole i gotta be strong and black when at the end of the day, they're really highly self conscious)

Why did I get married 2, utter @!#**$!#.

The Family That Preys, the woman started ballin and got money and became too good for her black husband who loved her only to get twisted by knaves in believing the white dude was gone leave his wife for her.

For Colored Girls, it was ehh, yeah, it had me thinking "damn, i really do get in the head of some of these females and sell them dreams."

Precious, too real. Probably his best movie to date.

Meet the Browns, was funny.

Diary of a mad black woman, yall all mad. the whole abused relationship ***! is overdone, get ya bags and leave if it's really that bad. a the end of the day, everybody got a cousin/brother/friend that if you really gettin beat up at home will handle that abusive husband.

Madeas family reunion, had a nice message.

the others i haven't seen.

Originally Posted by infam0usP

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

Sowould film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who thencould be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

1. yes
2.Spike Lee, Antoine Fuqua, John Singleton, Will Smith (has producercredits on multiple films), Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington (same asWill), & Whoopi Goldberg

3. Spike Lee (40 Acres & AMule), Will Smith (Overbrook Entertainment), Denzel (Mundy LaneEntertainment), Whoopi Goldberg (One Ho Productions, no I'm not kidding
laugh.gif
), & John Singleton (New Deal Entertainment)

Better without him, it's debatable. If anything, It'll be measured by his own creativity if he can make a movie that's not shoving black day to day life back into the faces of blacks.
My gripe with his type of satire, much like the Chappelle show, It's funny to me cuz I understand the message. It's funny to the rest of America, cuz it paints a picture of us looking ****ish when they'll never know/understand the message truthfully.

Spike Lee is o.k. some of his movies were suspect. We have yet to have a great black director yet................

indifferent.gif
, Spike Lee is the Greatest director in the black community, and a top director period.

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH TYLER PERRY IS..... As of right now, he has all the resources to paint a positive image of Black America to the rest of the country. But he taints that message with the use of Madea as comic relief and by only reusing black stereotypes/truths that have already been out to the public.

So what if it tanks and he loses out on money, why not paint a positive image and a message that will be heard and not have to be decoded by people who aren't Black.

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

the thing is, movies like menace to society and boyz in tha hood were SERIOUS social commentaries...

any stereotypes present in the movie are shown in a negative light...

the main characters are trying to be different...to step out of the stereotypical cycle....

oftentimes they have strong family and role models...highlighting positive individuals in such a negative subject matter.

stereotypes were MADE from menace to society and boyz in tha hood, not the other way around. Those movies didn't perpetuate stereotypes or make light of the subject matter.

those movies portrayed REALITY.....that's how life was...and still is...for a large number of african americans...

O-dog's character, as stereotypical as it's BECOME, was a much more important, realistic and deep character than madea....and anybody making an argument that they are in the same vein is ridiculous.

just because those powerful movies have become cult status in the african american community doesnt mean they are in any way, shape or form akin to tyler perry ****ery.
My man...this all day.

An all this can be said for "Do The Right Thing"  as well. Spike Lee's greatest work to date IMO.
pimp.gif
Tyler Perry, although I don't particularly like him and feel the same way most people do in this thread. I feel that the way he uses certain characters i.e. Madea for comic relief, outweigh the actual story meant to be told and heard in the movie.

Why did I get married, showed all sides of black relationships. (the loud/rude black chick, unfortunately, that's how many black women are now a days. it's that whole i gotta be strong and black when at the end of the day, they're really highly self conscious)

Why did I get married 2, utter @!#**$!#.

The Family That Preys, the woman started ballin and got money and became too good for her black husband who loved her only to get twisted by knaves in believing the white dude was gone leave his wife for her.

For Colored Girls, it was ehh, yeah, it had me thinking "damn, i really do get in the head of some of these females and sell them dreams."

Precious, too real. Probably his best movie to date.

Meet the Browns, was funny.

Diary of a mad black woman, yall all mad. the whole abused relationship ***! is overdone, get ya bags and leave if it's really that bad. a the end of the day, everybody got a cousin/brother/friend that if you really gettin beat up at home will handle that abusive husband.

Madeas family reunion, had a nice message.

the others i haven't seen.

Originally Posted by infam0usP

Sowould film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who thencould be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

1. yes
2.Spike Lee, Antoine Fuqua, John Singleton, Will Smith (has producercredits on multiple films), Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington (same asWill), & Whoopi Goldberg

3. Spike Lee (40 Acres & AMule), Will Smith (Overbrook Entertainment), Denzel (Mundy LaneEntertainment), Whoopi Goldberg (One Ho Productions, no I'm not kidding
laugh.gif
), & John Singleton (New Deal Entertainment)

Better without him, it's debatable. If anything, It'll be measured by his own creativity if he can make a movie that's not shoving black day to day life back into the faces of blacks.
My gripe with his type of satire, much like the Chappelle show, It's funny to me cuz I understand the message. It's funny to the rest of America, cuz it paints a picture of us looking ****ish when they'll never know/understand the message truthfully.

Spike Lee is o.k. some of his movies were suspect. We have yet to have a great black director yet................

indifferent.gif
, Spike Lee is the Greatest director in the black community, and a top director period.

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH TYLER PERRY IS..... As of right now, he has all the resources to paint a positive image of Black America to the rest of the country. But he taints that message with the use of Madea as comic relief and by only reusing black stereotypes/truths that have already been out to the public.

So what if it tanks and he loses out on money, why not paint a positive image and a message that will be heard and not have to be decoded by people who aren't Black.

lol @ everyone "what do you want them to be like then?"

a different world

spike lee joints

singleton movies

all very powerful movies. all showing accurate portrayals of portions of black america at the time

do the right thing? jungle fever? come on, man.....you act like there hasn't been good movies out.

as garbage as belly is (i love it, btw)...and as negative as the subject matter was...i don't even feel like it was as outlandish and stereotypical as tyler perry works.

while School Daze wasnt overall positive...had stereotypes and such...the movie was well written and deep.

the acting may have been whatever....but the movie is amazing compared to tyler perry work.

its hilarious that we're back to the "yall just hating, black people dont like to see other black people on top"

anytime someone voices their opinion against something "popular" its hate...

bruh, i just described, in detail, why i dont rock with tyler perry material....lol how is that hate?

i dont rock with malibu's most wanted either....

is that hating on the white man?

i prefer more "intellegent" cinema than tyler perry bruh....  

roll.gif
@ compare it to bad white actors

good black actors get work. marginal ones are "black entertainment" *%@!$$...in EVERY made-for-BET movie with glued on cornrows and fake "thug" accent....

did perry do precious? i commend that work. Only thing i can't diss from dude...

outside of that, all that ****ery, yall can have that...

like i said in my OG post...im just glad he hasnt reached mainstream white america like that yet....

soon you gonna have white housewifes making madea references.....
laugh.gif

lol @ everyone "what do you want them to be like then?"

a different world

spike lee joints

singleton movies

all very powerful movies. all showing accurate portrayals of portions of black america at the time

do the right thing? jungle fever? come on, man.....you act like there hasn't been good movies out.

as garbage as belly is (i love it, btw)...and as negative as the subject matter was...i don't even feel like it was as outlandish and stereotypical as tyler perry works.

while School Daze wasnt overall positive...had stereotypes and such...the movie was well written and deep.

the acting may have been whatever....but the movie is amazing compared to tyler perry work.

its hilarious that we're back to the "yall just hating, black people dont like to see other black people on top"

anytime someone voices their opinion against something "popular" its hate...

bruh, i just described, in detail, why i dont rock with tyler perry material....lol how is that hate?

i dont rock with malibu's most wanted either....

is that hating on the white man?

i prefer more "intellegent" cinema than tyler perry bruh....  

roll.gif
@ compare it to bad white actors

good black actors get work. marginal ones are "black entertainment" *%@!$$...in EVERY made-for-BET movie with glued on cornrows and fake "thug" accent....

did perry do precious? i commend that work. Only thing i can't diss from dude...

outside of that, all that ****ery, yall can have that...

like i said in my OG post...im just glad he hasnt reached mainstream white america like that yet....

soon you gonna have white housewifes making madea references.....
laugh.gif

Tyler Perry makes movie for a specific group of people. His target audience is black women. They support the hell out of him and obviously enjoy what he makes for them. You don't like it? Too bad it's not for you anyways. You don't like the message he's sending to his audience? Then do something about it. Captivate that same audience with your message. Perry made it with nothing so you have no excuse.

Tyler Perry makes movie for a specific group of people. His target audience is black women. They support the hell out of him and obviously enjoy what he makes for them. You don't like it? Too bad it's not for you anyways. You don't like the message he's sending to his audience? Then do something about it. Captivate that same audience with your message. Perry made it with nothing so you have no excuse.

oh, and one last point...for people who think im just hating or taking these things too serious

dave chappelle walked away from multi-hundred-million-dollar deal.......cause he felt as if his show was being digested by white america in a negative fashion.

he felt like he wasnt being laughed WITH but being laughed AT

he felt like he was ****ing it up for white america...

SO HE STOPPED.

im not suggesting anyone take money out of their own pockets, but for that, i will respect and support a man like Dave Chappelle, who would rather be obscure than rich from exploitation...

perry hasnt reached that sort of success in white america yet.....therefore, its hard to guage white america's consumption of his material.....

the dave chappelle example only proves that black images DO have an impact on white america and how white america disgests these images ARE powerful and DO matter...

dude had a nervous breakdown......he had a hard time walking away from hundreds of millions...but left with his pride and dignity in tact.....he's too proud to negatively represent his race in mass media....he understood how his material was being wrongly digested so he quit...

for all the postive spins defenders of perry use......id like to see the man put out positive black movies...

why do "black movies" have to be about the same BS? you have you OWN production company and you're putting out made-for-BET plots?

church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men, etc etc.

where is a black action hero?

where is a black biographical movie on someone we should be more educated about?

where is the black "sound of music"?

like, where are the black epics?

for so long, hollywood was dominated (and still is) by white america....now that we have a slice we making the same %+#% viacom has been pumping on BET since they copped it?

these movies look like 2 hour long hair-care infomercials bruh....

we should demand better.

we deserve better.

oh, and one last point...for people who think im just hating or taking these things too serious

dave chappelle walked away from multi-hundred-million-dollar deal.......cause he felt as if his show was being digested by white america in a negative fashion.

he felt like he wasnt being laughed WITH but being laughed AT

he felt like he was ****ing it up for white america...

SO HE STOPPED.

im not suggesting anyone take money out of their own pockets, but for that, i will respect and support a man like Dave Chappelle, who would rather be obscure than rich from exploitation...

perry hasnt reached that sort of success in white america yet.....therefore, its hard to guage white america's consumption of his material.....

the dave chappelle example only proves that black images DO have an impact on white america and how white america disgests these images ARE powerful and DO matter...

dude had a nervous breakdown......he had a hard time walking away from hundreds of millions...but left with his pride and dignity in tact.....he's too proud to negatively represent his race in mass media....he understood how his material was being wrongly digested so he quit...

for all the postive spins defenders of perry use......id like to see the man put out positive black movies...

why do "black movies" have to be about the same BS? you have you OWN production company and you're putting out made-for-BET plots?

church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men, etc etc.

where is a black action hero?

where is a black biographical movie on someone we should be more educated about?

where is the black "sound of music"?

like, where are the black epics?

for so long, hollywood was dominated (and still is) by white america....now that we have a slice we making the same %+#% viacom has been pumping on BET since they copped it?

these movies look like 2 hour long hair-care infomercials bruh....

we should demand better.

we deserve better.

I never knew his characters(Madea in particular) were representative of every AA in America. Learn something new every day
grin.gif

I never knew his characters(Madea in particular) were representative of every AA in America. Learn something new every day
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JsindaA

grin.gif

they arent.

but as far as mass media in the US goes, (and even to some extent, abroad)

his images are prevailent.....

and, imo, gross.

grin.gif

they arent.

but as far as mass media in the US goes, (and even to some extent, abroad)

his images are prevailent.....

and, imo, gross.

I don't understand how this is a conundrum. You can look into what he does and point out the stereotypes, the impact on the African American community and whatnot, but my main beef with the guy is that he makes awful art. This guy is an empire and it's foundation is awful art.

I don't understand how this is a conundrum. You can look into what he does and point out the stereotypes, the impact on the African American community and whatnot, but my main beef with the guy is that he makes awful art. This guy is an empire and it's foundation is awful art.

the main argument seems to be that tyler perry's films make AA's look bad but why are you guys relying on TP to speak for yall? Why not attack rap music too then?

the main argument seems to be that tyler perry's films make AA's look bad but why are you guys relying on TP to speak for yall? Why not attack rap music too then?

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

grin.gif

tp-lee-daniels.jpg

Lee Daniels directed Precious

did perry have any role in it?

im unsure

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

grin.gif

tp-lee-daniels.jpg

Lee Daniels directed Precious

did perry have any role in it?

im unsure

Originally Posted by oidreez

Nobody is going to answer, ? has already been posed in this thread. And I'm sure however people feel about black people has more to do with real life image we project than fictional tv characters, so maybe we can address how we look to the world from that perspective and not be so hypersensitive about tv and movies.

As far as I know, TP had nothing to do with Precious other than helping to promote it because he liked it. How bout that for solidarity?
After Precious' screening at Sundance in February 2009, Tyler Perry announced that he and Oprah Winfrey would be providing promotional assistance to the film, which was released through Lions Gate Entertainment. Precious won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. The film's title was changed from Push to Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, to avoid confusion with the 2009 action film Push.[sup][4][/sup] Precious was also an official selection at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival (particularly the Un Certain Regard category).
Lionsgate gave the film a limited release in North America on November 6, 2009 (the release was expanded on November 20). Precious received largely positive reviews from critics: the acting, the story, and its message were generally praised. Some criticism mainly aimed at fears of the film's content sending a negative message; some reviewers felt that the film did not live up to its hype. In the film's opening weekend in limited release, it grossed $1.8 million, putting it in 12th place at the box office. As of February 2010, the film had grossed over $47 million domestically, ranking no. 65 for 2009, recouping its $10 million budget, and making it a box office success.[sup][1][/sup]Precious received six nominations, including Best Picture, for the 82nd Academy Awards. Supporting actress Mo'Nique and screenwriter Geoffrey S. Fletcher were selected as the winners in their respective categories.

Nobody is going to answer, ? has already been posed in this thread. And I'm sure however people feel about black people has more to do with real life image we project than fictional tv characters, so maybe we can address how we look to the world from that perspective and not be so hypersensitive about tv and movies.

As far as I know, TP had nothing to do with Precious other than helping to promote it because he liked it. How bout that for solidarity?
After Precious' screening at Sundance in February 2009, Tyler Perry announced that he and Oprah Winfrey would be providing promotional assistance to the film, which was released through Lions Gate Entertainment. Precious won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. The film's title was changed from Push to Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, to avoid confusion with the 2009 action film Push.[sup][4][/sup] Precious was also an official selection at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival (particularly the Un Certain Regard category).
Lionsgate gave the film a limited release in North America on November 6, 2009 (the release was expanded on November 20). Precious received largely positive reviews from critics: the acting, the story, and its message were generally praised. Some criticism mainly aimed at fears of the film's content sending a negative message; some reviewers felt that the film did not live up to its hype. In the film's opening weekend in limited release, it grossed $1.8 million, putting it in 12th place at the box office. As of February 2010, the film had grossed over $47 million domestically, ranking no. 65 for 2009, recouping its $10 million budget, and making it a box office success.[sup][1][/sup]Precious received six nominations, including Best Picture, for the 82nd Academy Awards. Supporting actress Mo'Nique and screenwriter Geoffrey S. Fletcher were selected as the winners in their respective categories.

its already been done. there has been a longstanding attack on rap music since its inception...

noone is saying "oh, soulja boy? at least he's a working african american who employs other african americans. And people like his music, they relate to it. plus, you cant knock his hustle, he's getting paid. youre just hating cause you dont like seeing a black man succeed...4 years ago he was a teenager on youtube now he has an empire"

eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom