The Tyler Perry conundrum

His recent movie for colored girls had a brother thinking though.....

I still feel that the characteristics of his characters are WAY to extreme though. Not every man is a cheat and wants to go out violating women
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by oso23

I cant stand Tyler Perry shows or movies.

yep ill pass

an wise you dont even gotta tell us that tyler perry is ^#$, too obvious.

Originally Posted by oso23

I cant stand Tyler Perry shows or movies.

yep ill pass

an wise you dont even gotta tell us that tyler perry is ^#$, too obvious.

His recent movie for colored girls had a brother thinking though.....

I still feel that the characteristics of his characters are WAY to extreme though. Not every man is a cheat and wants to go out violating women
laugh.gif

^not every man but thats what happens to alot of women...

and he didnt write for Colored Girls...

i still haven't read the book but as good as it was it was still off...

why are people still saying colored and having back room abortions in modern day harlem?

i dont have a problem w/Tyler Perry movies cuz minus the christian part they aren't any different than lifetime movies but a thread doesnt pop up every few months about them...

my problem is the people who have a problem w/them but aren't making anything to show another side of black peopple...Perry found his niche so why would he do anything different...the directors and writers and producers that don't like it should get together and make something...

there isn't enough diversity in black entertainment IMO

^not every man but thats what happens to alot of women...

and he didnt write for Colored Girls...

i still haven't read the book but as good as it was it was still off...

why are people still saying colored and having back room abortions in modern day harlem?

i dont have a problem w/Tyler Perry movies cuz minus the christian part they aren't any different than lifetime movies but a thread doesnt pop up every few months about them...

my problem is the people who have a problem w/them but aren't making anything to show another side of black peopple...Perry found his niche so why would he do anything different...the directors and writers and producers that don't like it should get together and make something...

there isn't enough diversity in black entertainment IMO

word that movie thru me off. me and my dad were debating because he kept saying that the time for this movie...so he thought was shot early 90s late 80s (primarily because of the abortion) and i was trying to tell him it was modern day but that they just messed up that scene. i have mixed opinions on TP and his movies. a few years ago when this craze hit...i was anti the whole movement. after seeing a few of his movies (which ive never paid to see...either they came on tv or someone had a bootleg) his characters are over exaggerated but then again a lot of that stuff does go down in families. People fail to realize that he is in it just like everyone else...for the money. like someone else said he found a niche and hes rocking with it. It comes down to the individual who watches his movies to make their own assessments of life...and if they are too uneducated to conceptualize fallacies from his movies and actualities of real life then thats on them.

word that movie thru me off. me and my dad were debating because he kept saying that the time for this movie...so he thought was shot early 90s late 80s (primarily because of the abortion) and i was trying to tell him it was modern day but that they just messed up that scene. i have mixed opinions on TP and his movies. a few years ago when this craze hit...i was anti the whole movement. after seeing a few of his movies (which ive never paid to see...either they came on tv or someone had a bootleg) his characters are over exaggerated but then again a lot of that stuff does go down in families. People fail to realize that he is in it just like everyone else...for the money. like someone else said he found a niche and hes rocking with it. It comes down to the individual who watches his movies to make their own assessments of life...and if they are too uneducated to conceptualize fallacies from his movies and actualities of real life then thats on them.

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tyler Perry movies are a weakness of mine.. LOL.. I'm not a fan of the sitcoms like Meet the Browns and whatever else, but all the movies I've seen were dope.

I love Tyler Perry weekends on TBS!

White girl enjoying black people being stereotyped.

Why am I not surprised?

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tyler Perry movies are a weakness of mine.. LOL.. I'm not a fan of the sitcoms like Meet the Browns and whatever else, but all the movies I've seen were dope.

I love Tyler Perry weekends on TBS!

White girl enjoying black people being stereotyped.

Why am I not surprised?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

He found a niche (Single black christian women) and he will milk that for all its worth. Dude has zero diversity in subject matter and point of view.
Why should Shaq shoot anything outside of 8 feet if he leads the league in scoring and FG%

He found a niche (Single black christian women) and he will milk that for all its worth. Dude has zero diversity in subject matter and point of view.
Why should Shaq shoot anything outside of 8 feet if he leads the league in scoring and FG%

People can't get past his Madea character and realize once you get passed that, his movies are far more positive than negative. Nobody remember Cicely Tyson's speech to young black men and women in Madea's Family Reunion. Maya Angelou was in that as well. Even if you don't like the religious overtones, at the end of all his movies, the solution comes down to themes like family being there for each other through thick and thin, and I don't think you can argue that's bad for black folk.

What do you want anyways? A movie where every black character is a lawyer, doctor, dentist, real estate agent, business owner, etc? Like that's anymore realistic.

Most of yous laud movies like Don't Be a Menace and State Property and then want to get on TP's movies for being stereotypical.

People can't get past his Madea character and realize once you get passed that, his movies are far more positive than negative. Nobody remember Cicely Tyson's speech to young black men and women in Madea's Family Reunion. Maya Angelou was in that as well. Even if you don't like the religious overtones, at the end of all his movies, the solution comes down to themes like family being there for each other through thick and thin, and I don't think you can argue that's bad for black folk.

What do you want anyways? A movie where every black character is a lawyer, doctor, dentist, real estate agent, business owner, etc? Like that's anymore realistic.

Most of yous laud movies like Don't Be a Menace and State Property and then want to get on TP's movies for being stereotypical.

Just about all of his movies suck and have bad acting in them.  Some of his old plays were enjoyable for the most part.  At the end of the day even though he trys to have a positive image in most of his work Tyler Perry is doing more harm than good in the black community.  He's going to have alot of these single black females REMAIN single with the nonsense that he is feeding them cause they're eating it up, and the last thing we need is another black man walking around in a dress, don't care of funny he's trying to be or what message he has with it. 

If you notice, it's the same SINGLE black females that go to his shows and movies and the one thing that remains the same is that they all walk out single and are still single when the next play or movie releases months later.  He's feeding you the wrong message.

Just about all of his movies suck and have bad acting in them.  Some of his old plays were enjoyable for the most part.  At the end of the day even though he trys to have a positive image in most of his work Tyler Perry is doing more harm than good in the black community.  He's going to have alot of these single black females REMAIN single with the nonsense that he is feeding them cause they're eating it up, and the last thing we need is another black man walking around in a dress, don't care of funny he's trying to be or what message he has with it. 

If you notice, it's the same SINGLE black females that go to his shows and movies and the one thing that remains the same is that they all walk out single and are still single when the next play or movie releases months later.  He's feeding you the wrong message.

this right here

this right here

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

I'll admit I have always given Tyler Perry a hard time do to the nature of his brand of entertainment and the way he attacked social issues. I just watched "I can do bad on my own" which honestly outside of terrible acting and production value wasn't that bad. I feel that you can look at his work as "stereotypical" but I feel his message is progressive even if it is coated with christian ideologies.
cool story, bro....

me? i think he's a glorified #%%! who shucks and jives

the only positive factor of such is that he hasnt crossed over into mainstream white america...

and i pray he never does....but Oprah is trying....

its funny she'll condemn rappers for rapping, but tyler perry characters are immune....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by jmause3

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

I'm not a big fan of his movies, they're over dramatic in my opinion
this. 

I atch meet the Browns sometimes, only good thing about it is Mr. Brown
laugh.gif

i hate mr brown himself. way too overdramatic and that high pitched voice

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

I'll admit I have always given Tyler Perry a hard time do to the nature of his brand of entertainment and the way he attacked social issues. I just watched "I can do bad on my own" which honestly outside of terrible acting and production value wasn't that bad. I feel that you can look at his work as "stereotypical" but I feel his message is progressive even if it is coated with christian ideologies.
cool story, bro....

me? i think he's a glorified #%%! who shucks and jives

the only positive factor of such is that he hasnt crossed over into mainstream white america...

and i pray he never does....but Oprah is trying....

its funny she'll condemn rappers for rapping, but tyler perry characters are immune....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by jmause3

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

I'm not a big fan of his movies, they're over dramatic in my opinion
this. 

I atch meet the Browns sometimes, only good thing about it is Mr. Brown
laugh.gif

i hate mr brown himself. way too overdramatic and that high pitched voice

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Can't stand him, his shows, or movies. Regardless of his content, he's an artist first and he never improves. Always feeding his audience horrid acting, laughable scripts, and elementary level plots. It's to the point where I'm offended to see anything he puts out because it's like he's just making this trash because he knows black people will eat it up. An that's a damn disgrace. Plus he perpetuates the same tired +%% stereotypes that society has about black folks. There's nothing uplifting about some contrived speech about god, love, or respect for self at the end of the movie if you shucking and jiving for every scene prior.

At the end of the day Spike Lee >>>> Tyler Perry.
i swear you said everything i been saying for the longest

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Can't stand him, his shows, or movies. Regardless of his content, he's an artist first and he never improves. Always feeding his audience horrid acting, laughable scripts, and elementary level plots. It's to the point where I'm offended to see anything he puts out because it's like he's just making this trash because he knows black people will eat it up. An that's a damn disgrace. Plus he perpetuates the same tired +%% stereotypes that society has about black folks. There's nothing uplifting about some contrived speech about god, love, or respect for self at the end of the movie if you shucking and jiving for every scene prior.

At the end of the day Spike Lee >>>> Tyler Perry.
i swear you said everything i been saying for the longest

oh, how funny, the *****rdly boarderline violent grandmother who totes a gun and goes to jail a la ernest....

its such a realistic character, too

Back
Top Bottom