The Tyler Perry conundrum

I don't like his movies, because to me it is the same movie over and over again, with just a different title.

Have the good black man, then you have that thug dude, then you have the lawyer or doctor black man who is just a side character, then you have the battered or hurt black woman, the mean mother, the sis or sidekick, add a loud mouthed kid, a slap or two, a bucket of tears, and then throw in madea...it gets dull, and i still dont understand how people watch it.

I don't like his movies, because to me it is the same movie over and over again, with just a different title.

Have the good black man, then you have that thug dude, then you have the lawyer or doctor black man who is just a side character, then you have the battered or hurt black woman, the mean mother, the sis or sidekick, add a loud mouthed kid, a slap or two, a bucket of tears, and then throw in madea...it gets dull, and i still dont understand how people watch it.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

For all you Tyler Perry fans out there at the end of the day he does and contiunes to do more harm than good in the black community.

Because of Tyler Perry a lot of black actors have job women will remain single.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

For all you Tyler Perry fans out there at the end of the day he does and contiunes to do more harm than good in the black community.

Because of Tyler Perry a lot of black actors have job women will remain single.

The movies are definitely cheesy and predictable.

That said, the portrayal of Madea and the old dude who smokes is hilarious to me. I think a lot of people downing dude's work may not realize that some of his portrayal is spot on. Obviously all old, southern, black women don't tote guns and act a damn fool like Madea. But I'd be lying if I said I don't have family members with similar traits. That's the only reason I find the movies entertaining. Some of it hits close to home for me.

The movies are definitely cheesy and predictable.

That said, the portrayal of Madea and the old dude who smokes is hilarious to me. I think a lot of people downing dude's work may not realize that some of his portrayal is spot on. Obviously all old, southern, black women don't tote guns and act a damn fool like Madea. But I'd be lying if I said I don't have family members with similar traits. That's the only reason I find the movies entertaining. Some of it hits close to home for me.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Why don't people reject Wacka Flocka as hard as Tyler Perry though? Or Nikki Minaj? Double standard much?
cuz Tylers main market is women...

a few will speak on Wacka cuz of the voting thing and cuz their favorite rapper like Nas isn't getting shine but not much past that..

they'll go hard against Nicki cuz thats what they think so many black girls have to look up to

a lot of people do reject wakaflocka and nicki minaj as hard as tyler perry....there's no double standard.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Why don't people reject Wacka Flocka as hard as Tyler Perry though? Or Nikki Minaj? Double standard much?
cuz Tylers main market is women...

a few will speak on Wacka cuz of the voting thing and cuz their favorite rapper like Nas isn't getting shine but not much past that..

they'll go hard against Nicki cuz thats what they think so many black girls have to look up to

a lot of people do reject wakaflocka and nicki minaj as hard as tyler perry....there's no double standard.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

He found a niche (Single black christian women) and he will milk that for all its worth. Dude has zero diversity in subject matter and point of view.
Why should Shaq shoot anything outside of 8 feet if he leads the league in scoring and FG%
Exactly. He's sticking to his strengths. I refuse to watch anymore of his movies though. I don't like to torture myself.

He found a niche (Single black christian women) and he will milk that for all its worth. Dude has zero diversity in subject matter and point of view.
Why should Shaq shoot anything outside of 8 feet if he leads the league in scoring and FG%
Exactly. He's sticking to his strengths. I refuse to watch anymore of his movies though. I don't like to torture myself.

laugh.gif
@ cats throwing Boyz In Tha Hood and Menace II Society in the mix.

i love Meet The Browns.. but it's really only because Mr Brown.. and i love that broad that plays the loud mouth in the WDIGM movies.. but that's it. %$!% the rest of his projects.

Originally Posted by raptors29

yep, if it aint broke don't fix it....dude is clearly not doing this for artistic merits and integrity.

i love Meet The Browns.. but it's really only because Mr Brown.. and i love that broad that plays the loud mouth in the WDIGM movies.. but that's it. %$!% the rest of his projects.

Originally Posted by raptors29

yep, if it aint broke don't fix it....dude is clearly not doing this for artistic merits and integrity.

Originally Posted by Napoleon

Man... if Spike Lee had the resources TP did...
30t6p3b.gif

That being said...its really a conundrum... On one hand hes kept a lot of people employed but on the other, hes really makes some crappy work. ...Life goes on I guess.

i dont support this argument, either...

yes, hes employing black actors (many of whom prolly shouldnt be employed tho)

however, i heard he fired his entire production staff......

not that i have a problem with that....but if people are making an argument about him employing black people with his company....then the other side of that coin must be exposed and discussed as well...

Originally Posted by Napoleon

Man... if Spike Lee had the resources TP did...
30t6p3b.gif

That being said...its really a conundrum... On one hand hes kept a lot of people employed but on the other, hes really makes some crappy work. ...Life goes on I guess.

i dont support this argument, either...

yes, hes employing black actors (many of whom prolly shouldnt be employed tho)

however, i heard he fired his entire production staff......

not that i have a problem with that....but if people are making an argument about him employing black people with his company....then the other side of that coin must be exposed and discussed as well...

And you know damn well there are far more ignorant #$@ movies like State Property, Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin Your Juice in the Hood, How High, Soul Plane, Three Strikes, than there are movies that could be considered a serious social commentary.

dont be a menace = parody

i took state property as light-hearted

how high isn't negative....

soul plane and three strikes? please....although i do put those on the same plane as tyler perry's work..

as far as @*%+ rappers?

thats already understood...its beating a dead horse.

nobody is advocating waka flocka as a positive force in the black community

however, tyler perry is being talked up as such...

that's why.

its not a double standard at all.

and sheena, haysh, you say that EVERYTIME this argument comes up

yes, there are SOME people with grandmothers LIKE madea....

but for the most part, they aren't like madea....and those with grandmothers like madea, that isn't the most postive figure to place as your companies figurehead....

the real life madeas arent positive role models at all...

and especially shouldnt be marketed and ingested by the mass media aka white america....

i mean, if sally assumed your grandmother was like madea you wouldnt be offended?

my grandma is a trip, however, it would offend me to compare her to madea...

And you know damn well there are far more ignorant #$@ movies like State Property, Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin Your Juice in the Hood, How High, Soul Plane, Three Strikes, than there are movies that could be considered a serious social commentary.

dont be a menace = parody

i took state property as light-hearted

how high isn't negative....

soul plane and three strikes? please....although i do put those on the same plane as tyler perry's work..

as far as @*%+ rappers?

thats already understood...its beating a dead horse.

nobody is advocating waka flocka as a positive force in the black community

however, tyler perry is being talked up as such...

that's why.

its not a double standard at all.

and sheena, haysh, you say that EVERYTIME this argument comes up

yes, there are SOME people with grandmothers LIKE madea....

but for the most part, they aren't like madea....and those with grandmothers like madea, that isn't the most postive figure to place as your companies figurehead....

the real life madeas arent positive role models at all...

and especially shouldnt be marketed and ingested by the mass media aka white america....

i mean, if sally assumed your grandmother was like madea you wouldnt be offended?

my grandma is a trip, however, it would offend me to compare her to madea...

not a real a fan of him
but I also don't have a problem with dude either 

I just simply don't watch

I also dont care about how another race of people view the other 

not a real a fan of him
but I also don't have a problem with dude either 

I just simply don't watch

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

well im glad there are people who do.

eyes.gif