The Tyler Perry conundrum

oh, how funny, the *****rdly boarderline violent grandmother who totes a gun and goes to jail a la ernest....

its such a realistic character, too

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

People can't get past his Madea character and realize once you get passed that, his movies are far more positive than negative. Nobody remember Cicely Tyson's speech to young black men and women in Madea's Family Reunion. Maya Angelou was in that as well. Even if you don't like the religious overtones, at the end of all his movies, the solution comes down to themes like family being there for each other through thick and thin, and I don't think you can argue that's bad for black folk.

What do you want anyways? A movie where every black character is a lawyer, doctor, dentist, real estate agent, business owner, etc? Like that's anymore realistic.

Most of yous laud movies like Don't Be a Menace and State Property and then want to get on TP's movies for being stereotypical.

this. I mean don't get me wrong, a lot of the things that was said about Tyler Perry in this thread are very true. His shows suck and his movie are the same. and like everyone said he has found a niche or formula that works and he's riding with it. what I don't get is the disdain hate people have for Tyler Perry. They always complain about his movies being stereotypical, but yet love movies like Menace to Society and South Central where black stereotypes in those movies smacks you right in the face. I don't see y'all complaining about those movies. I just don't get it. it's double standards if you ask me.

People can't get past his Madea character and realize once you get passed that, his movies are far more positive than negative. Nobody remember Cicely Tyson's speech to young black men and women in Madea's Family Reunion. Maya Angelou was in that as well. Even if you don't like the religious overtones, at the end of all his movies, the solution comes down to themes like family being there for each other through thick and thin, and I don't think you can argue that's bad for black folk.

What do you want anyways? A movie where every black character is a lawyer, doctor, dentist, real estate agent, business owner, etc? Like that's anymore realistic.

Most of yous laud movies like Don't Be a Menace and State Property and then want to get on TP's movies for being stereotypical.

this. I mean don't get me wrong, a lot of the things that was said about Tyler Perry in this thread are very true. His shows suck and his movie are the same. and like everyone said he has found a niche or formula that works and he's riding with it. what I don't get is the disdain hate people have for Tyler Perry. They always complain about his movies being stereotypical, but yet love movies like Menace to Society and South Central where black stereotypes in those movies smacks you right in the face. I don't see y'all complaining about those movies. I just don't get it. it's double standards if you ask me.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

oh, how funny, the *****rdly boarderline violent grandmother who totes a gun and goes to jail a la ernest....

my granny stay strapped
grin.gif

my granny stay strapped
grin.gif

Man... if Spike Lee had the resources TP did...
30t6p3b.gif

That being said...its really a conundrum... On one hand hes kept a lot of people employed but on the other, hes really makes some crappy work. ...Life goes on I guess.

Man... if Spike Lee had the resources TP did...
30t6p3b.gif

That being said...its really a conundrum... On one hand hes kept a lot of people employed but on the other, hes really makes some crappy work. ...Life goes on I guess.

the thing is, movies like menace to society and boyz in tha hood were SERIOUS social commentaries...

any stereotypes present in the movie are shown in a negative light...

the main characters are trying to be different...to step out of the stereotypical cycle....

oftentimes they have strong family and role models...highlighting positive individuals in such a negative subject matter.

stereotypes were MADE from menace to society and boyz in tha hood, not the other way around. Those movies didn't perpetuate stereotypes or make light of the subject matter.

those movies portrayed REALITY.....that's how life was...and still is...for a large number of african americans...

O-dog's character, as stereotypical as it's BECOME, was a much more important, realistic and deep character than madea....and anybody making an argument that they are in the same vein is ridiculous.

just because those powerful movies have become cult status in the african american community doesnt mean they are in any way, shape or form akin to tyler perry ****ery.

the thing is, movies like menace to society and boyz in tha hood were SERIOUS social commentaries...

the main characters are trying to be different...to step out of the stereotypical cycle....

oftentimes they have strong family and role models...highlighting positive individuals in such a negative subject matter.

stereotypes were MADE from menace to society and boyz in tha hood, not the other way around. Those movies didn't perpetuate stereotypes or make light of the subject matter.

those movies portrayed REALITY.....that's how life was...and still is...for a large number of african americans...

O-dog's character, as stereotypical as it's BECOME, was a much more important, realistic and deep character than madea....and anybody making an argument that they are in the same vein is ridiculous.

just because those powerful movies have become cult status in the african american community doesnt mean they are in any way, shape or form akin to tyler perry ****ery.

outside of Madea Tylers movies are real for alot of AA too...

some people have grandmothers like Madea...

outside of Madea Tylers movies are real for alot of AA too...

some people have grandmothers like Madea...

For all you Tyler Perry fans out there at the end of the day he does and contiunes to do more harm than good in the black community.

Because of Tyler Perry a lot of black actors have job women will remain single.
Fixed.

For all you Tyler Perry fans out there at the end of the day he does and contiunes to do more harm than good in the black community.

Because of Tyler Perry a lot of black actors have job women will remain single.
Fixed.

My man...this all day.

An all this can be said for "Do The Right Thing"  as well. Spike Lee's greatest work to date IMO.

My man...this all day.

An all this can be said for "Do The Right Thing"  as well. Spike Lee's greatest work to date IMO.

Why don't people reject Wacka Flocka as hard as Tyler Perry though? Or Nikki Minaj? Double standard much?

And you know damn well there are far more ignorant #$@ movies like State Property, Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin Your Juice in the Hood, How High, Soul Plane, Three Strikes, than there are movies that could be considered a serious social commentary.

Only serious movies black people are going to in droves are the ones that take place sometime in the past, where the black protagonists have to overcome their white oppressors in some contest, that without the racial overtones would be relatively insignificant, like debate, roller skating, dancing, basketball, football, or other sport.

Why don't people reject Wacka Flocka as hard as Tyler Perry though? Or Nikki Minaj? Double standard much?

And you know damn well there are far more ignorant #$@ movies like State Property, Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin Your Juice in the Hood, How High, Soul Plane, Three Strikes, than there are movies that could be considered a serious social commentary.

Only serious movies black people are going to in droves are the ones that take place sometime in the past, where the black protagonists have to overcome their white oppressors in some contest, that without the racial overtones would be relatively insignificant, like debate, roller skating, dancing, basketball, football, or other sport.

cuz Tylers main market is women...

a few will speak on Wacka cuz of the voting thing and cuz their favorite rapper like Nas isn't getting shine but not much past that..

they'll go hard against Nicki cuz thats what they think so many black girls have to look up to

cuz Tylers main market is women...

a few will speak on Wacka cuz of the voting thing and cuz their favorite rapper like Nas isn't getting shine but not much past that..

they'll go hard against Nicki cuz thats what they think so many black girls have to look up to

Back
Top Bottom