The Tyler Perry conundrum

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

and if a person takes what they see on TV as there tour or trip through the black community then THEY NEED TO FIND ANOTHER OUTLET ON EXPERIENCING WHAT THE BLACK COMMUNITY IS because most of tv is just entertainment and that goes for all races that is viewed on it
in lala land, some imaginary place, this is possible...

however, i will say it again...

THESE MASS MEDIA IMAGES OF BLACK CULTURE ARE OFTENTIMES MANY PEOPLE'S ONLY INTERACTION WITH BLACK AMERICA....

these images ARE powerful...
Yeah true for those folks who don't want to know or understand first hand

we talking about america, here....

our news cites wikipedia, bro...

land of the lazy.

you're right, they don't really care at all....these are the images redily available to them, therefore, oftentimes, its the ONLY image they digest....

and people wonder why racism, prejudice and stereotypes are still around....

to me prejudice will be around no matter what image is on TV
every black family could be just like the Hugstables off the Cosby shoe some where some body is sitting there saying how they dislike 

them because they seem so perfect it just depends on the person and how they digest these situation and take from them

and if a person takes what they see on TV as there tour or trip through the black community then THEY NEED TO FIND ANOTHER OUTLET ON EXPERIENCING WHAT THE BLACK COMMUNITY IS because most of tv is just entertainment and that goes for all races that is viewed on it
in lala land, some imaginary place, this is possible...

however, i will say it again...

THESE MASS MEDIA IMAGES OF BLACK CULTURE ARE OFTENTIMES MANY PEOPLE'S ONLY INTERACTION WITH BLACK AMERICA....

these images ARE powerful...
Yeah true for those folks who don't want to know or understand first hand

we talking about america, here....

our news cites wikipedia, bro...

land of the lazy.

you're right, they don't really care at all....these are the images redily available to them, therefore, oftentimes, its the ONLY image they digest....

and people wonder why racism, prejudice and stereotypes are still around....

to me prejudice will be around no matter what image is on TV
every black family could be just like the Hugstables off the Cosby shoe some where some body is sitting there saying how they dislike 

them because they seem so perfect it just depends on the person and how they digest these situation and take from them

eNPHAN wrote:
Originally Posted by AG 47

Nikekidwonder wrote:
Because of Tyler Perry a lot of black actors have job

This.

Janet Jackson, the homie from Spawn, the Husband from Soul Food, etc...

You know these people wouldn't get work anywhere else if it wasn't for black producers, specifically Tyler Perry. 

MAYBE THEY ARENT VERY GOOD ACTORS, THEREFORE THEY DONT GET WORK

don cheadle has absolutely no problem eating without tyler perry

will smith has absolutely no problem eating without tyler perry

halle berry has absolutely no problem eating without tyler perry

denzel washington has absolutely no problem eating without tyler perry

sam jackson has absolutely no problem eating without tyler perry

and i could continue this list with every successful black actor that DOESNT work with tyler perry

lol, dude employs a healthy 20 MARGINAL black actors and all of a sudden the embarassing stereotypical "movies" are somehow not trash?  (ftr, i have never once seen good acting in ANY tyler perry production...EVER...in fact, 90 percent of his actors are garbage and wouldnt work outside of his studios....not because he's giving them a chance...but because noone will pay them for that !*!%@*$+ they call acting)

so if black dudes designed these garbage fusion jordans they releasing, they would somehow be less garbage?

eyes.gif

- thier acting inst that bad.

- 90% of his actors are trash? please stop.

- i wouldnt call his movies great but not garbage either.

and i could continue this list with every successful black actor that DOESNT work with tyler perry

- go ahead.....

- now compare that short list to the number of white actors that get work regularly.

eNPHAN wrote:

Nikekidwonder wrote:

This.

You know these people wouldn't get work anywhere else if it wasn't for black producers, specifically Tyler Perry. 

lol, dude employs a healthy 20 MARGINAL black actors and all of a sudden the embarassing stereotypical "movies" are somehow not trash?  (ftr, i have never once seen good acting in ANY tyler perry production...EVER...in fact, 90 percent of his actors are garbage and wouldnt work outside of his studios....not because he's giving them a chance...but because noone will pay them for that !*!%@*$+ they call acting)

so if black dudes designed these garbage fusion jordans they releasing, they would somehow be less garbage?

eyes.gif

- thier acting inst that bad.

- 90% of his actors are trash? please stop.

- i wouldnt call his movies great but not garbage either.

- go ahead.....

- now compare that short list to the number of white actors that get work regularly.

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tyler Perry movies are a weakness of mine.. LOL.. I'm not a fan of the sitcoms like Meet the Browns and whatever else, but all the movies I've seen were dope.

I love Tyler Perry weekends on TBS!

White girl enjoying black people being stereotyped.

Why am I not surprised?

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tyler Perry movies are a weakness of mine.. LOL.. I'm not a fan of the sitcoms like Meet the Browns and whatever else, but all the movies I've seen were dope.

I love Tyler Perry weekends on TBS!

White girl enjoying black people being stereotyped.

Why am I not surprised?

30t6p3b.gif

I also dont care about how another race of people view the other 

well im glad there are people who do.

eyes.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Why though those type that stereotype are not looking past your skin color not matter what your actions are

so I just do me

so when a cop lays you down on the ground because of the conditioning and biased lens he's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when a teacher half *%!$* you because because of the conditioning and biased lens he's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when a white lady grabs her purse as you walk by because of the conditioning and biased lens she's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when you got generations of white children ONLY experiencing black culture through tyler perry, MTV and the likes, you just do you, huh?

eyes.gif

i always bring this up when talking about tyler perry, but you all should wikipedia the history of african americans in cinema...

stock images of blacks which instill stereotypes....

many times these were the first and only images of blacks entire towns/cities experienced...

"oh, blacks steal watermelons and chickens!"

but you just do you, eh?

don't really matter, huh?

eyes.gif
Tyler Perry? This topic about Tyler Perry and you're talking about scaring white women and guns? Seems like that argument would be more apt for a discussion about rap music or something, but the last conclusion you would draw about black people if all you used was Tyler Perry's movies is violence.

Outside of Madea, his characters are FAR less neck snapping, gun popping, ebonics using, ghetto emanating, angry, and violent than anything else out.

If we want to worry about perception of us, we should probably start with reality and not what is on tv.

What type of movie do you want him to make? Want to make all the black women nurses and all the black men in the movies doctors, and they all got on slacks and v neck sweaters throughout the entire film, and speak the greatest Queen's English, and drink tea with their pinkies up? Because nobody is going to watch that %!+%.

Black folks just love to complain about other black folks making it.

Dudes was homeless 2 yrs ago, now he has his own soundstage and an estimate worth of half a billion, depending on your source. Maybe the same people you're defending and making excuses for over in the food stamp thread could use that example, or the generation of us who do nothing but complain about the situation we're in and do nothing to transcend it.

eyes.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Why though those type that stereotype are not looking past your skin color not matter what your actions are

so I just do me

so when a cop lays you down on the ground because of the conditioning and biased lens he's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when a teacher half *%!$* you because because of the conditioning and biased lens he's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when a white lady grabs her purse as you walk by because of the conditioning and biased lens she's experienced black culture through, you just do you?

when you got generations of white children ONLY experiencing black culture through tyler perry, MTV and the likes, you just do you, huh?

eyes.gif

i always bring this up when talking about tyler perry, but you all should wikipedia the history of african americans in cinema...

many times these were the first and only images of blacks entire towns/cities experienced...

but you just do you, eh?

eyes.gif
Tyler Perry? This topic about Tyler Perry and you're talking about scaring white women and guns? Seems like that argument would be more apt for a discussion about rap music or something, but the last conclusion you would draw about black people if all you used was Tyler Perry's movies is violence.

Outside of Madea, his characters are FAR less neck snapping, gun popping, ebonics using, ghetto emanating, angry, and violent than anything else out.

If we want to worry about perception of us, we should probably start with reality and not what is on tv.

What type of movie do you want him to make? Want to make all the black women nurses and all the black men in the movies doctors, and they all got on slacks and v neck sweaters throughout the entire film, and speak the greatest Queen's English, and drink tea with their pinkies up? Because nobody is going to watch that %!+%.

Dudes was homeless 2 yrs ago, now he has his own soundstage and an estimate worth of half a billion, depending on your source. Maybe the same people you're defending and making excuses for over in the food stamp thread could use that example, or the generation of us who do nothing but complain about the situation we're in and do nothing to transcend it.

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

This.

eyes.gif
Dude those are only a few black actors that get a lot of movie roles
Think about it how many movie have you seen with will smith, denzel washington Morgan freeman , halle berry ,don cheadle  and Samuel Jackson  a lot right 

Now name other black actors besides those few that you see as a lead role or supporting role in movies....... barely any 

You a fool to think its "because there not good actors" there are a lot of bad actors that are not black and they get tons of movies roles 

Face it hollywood its still a little racist and stereotypical towards blacks and other ethics groups when it comes to casting movie roles  

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

This.

eyes.gif
Dude those are only a few black actors that get a lot of movie roles
Think about it how many movie have you seen with will smith, denzel washington Morgan freeman , halle berry ,don cheadle  and Samuel Jackson  a lot right 

Now name other black actors besides those few that you see as a lead role or supporting role in movies....... barely any 

You a fool to think its "because there not good actors" there are a lot of bad actors that are not black and they get tons of movies roles 

Face it hollywood its still a little racist and stereotypical towards blacks and other ethics groups when it comes to casting movie roles  

I see where you guys are coming from... But, I don't see how "House of Payne" is a negative stereotype. Even his movies like: the family that prays, daddy's little girls, why did I get married? ( although the Angela character was a little much), and "I can do bad all by myself."I don't see how those movies are negative black stereotypes. The only problem I see a lot of people have is with his Madea character. I just think he's trying to add some type of comedy in the midst of a "drama" type film. But that madea character is no different from Shanaynay from Martin, and we all talk about how we love "Martin" show here on NT. 

I see where you guys are coming from... But, I don't see how "House of Payne" is a negative stereotype. Even his movies like: the family that prays, daddy's little girls, why did I get married? ( although the Angela character was a little much), and "I can do bad all by myself."I don't see how those movies are negative black stereotypes. The only problem I see a lot of people have is with his Madea character. I just think he's trying to add some type of comedy in the midst of a "drama" type film. But that madea character is no different from Shanaynay from Martin, and we all talk about how we love "Martin" show here on NT. 

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

eyes.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

so I just do me

eyes.gif

but you just do you, eh?

eyes.gif

This dude nailed it  totally agree 
Thats the real problem with the black community there is too much hate 

Every time i black man or woman makes it the black community is the first to love but when they make it real big there the first to hate

This happened with Obama,Condoleezza rice, Oprah, Jayz ,Diddy, etc

And now Tyler Perry 

I understand if you don't like his movies and shows okay but why hate ?? just don't watch simple 

and as for the boys in the hood and menace to society comparisons to me those movies show black people in a stereotypical light too 

Because not every black person is involved in that kind of life style 

Some are but not everyone and that can be said for the life style shown in TP movies and shows 

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

eyes.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

so I just do me

eyes.gif

but you just do you, eh?

eyes.gif

This dude nailed it  totally agree 
Thats the real problem with the black community there is too much hate 

Every time i black man or woman makes it the black community is the first to love but when they make it real big there the first to hate

This happened with Obama,Condoleezza rice, Oprah, Jayz ,Diddy, etc

And now Tyler Perry 

I understand if you don't like his movies and shows okay but why hate ?? just don't watch simple 

and as for the boys in the hood and menace to society comparisons to me those movies show black people in a stereotypical light too 

Because not every black person is involved in that kind of life style 

Some are but not everyone and that can be said for the life style shown in TP movies and shows 

I have enjoyed reading everyones beliefs and feelings about his work. I really loved the argument that black actors can't get jobs because they can't act................. hahahahahahahahahah. Wow clearly some of you are not aware of how racist hollywood is and even those black actors that do get gigs work with the same directors, producers for the most part. So would film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who then could be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

I have enjoyed reading everyones beliefs and feelings about his work. I really loved the argument that black actors can't get jobs because they can't act................. hahahahahahahahahah. Wow clearly some of you are not aware of how racist hollywood is and even those black actors that do get gigs work with the same directors, producers for the most part. So would film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who then could be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

AG 47 wrote:

Nikekidwonder wrote:

This.

lol, dude employs a healthy 20 MARGINAL black actors and all of a sudden the embarassing stereotypical "movies" are somehow not trash?  (ftr, i have never once seen good acting in ANY tyler perry production...EVER...in fact, 90 percent of his actors are garbage and wouldnt work outside of his studios....not because he's giving them a chance...but because noone will pay them for that +%##+%@% they call acting)

eyes.gif

Bruh, it's a well known fact that ONLY the biggest black actors get roles.
Like I said before, aside from the over the top drama, the actors are believable in their roles.

But let's roll with what YOU said, they don't get roles because they're bad actors?
What about Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black, Brendan Frasier, Nicholas Cage, Steven Siegal, Paul Walker, Keanu Reeves?
Why do they continue to get roles being terrible actors? I guess it's cool if Nic Cage keeps putting out garbage, but oh know...let's shut down the movies that cast the homie from Spawn?

And please point out where I said the movies were good. The movies are over the top and hella predictable, but I'm not sitting there crying about the quality of the acting either.

AG 47 wrote:

Nikekidwonder wrote:

This.

lol, dude employs a healthy 20 MARGINAL black actors and all of a sudden the embarassing stereotypical "movies" are somehow not trash?  (ftr, i have never once seen good acting in ANY tyler perry production...EVER...in fact, 90 percent of his actors are garbage and wouldnt work outside of his studios....not because he's giving them a chance...but because noone will pay them for that +%##+%@% they call acting)

eyes.gif

Bruh, it's a well known fact that ONLY the biggest black actors get roles.
Like I said before, aside from the over the top drama, the actors are believable in their roles.

But let's roll with what YOU said, they don't get roles because they're bad actors?
What about Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black, Brendan Frasier, Nicholas Cage, Steven Siegal, Paul Walker, Keanu Reeves?
Why do they continue to get roles being terrible actors? I guess it's cool if Nic Cage keeps putting out garbage, but oh know...let's shut down the movies that cast the homie from Spawn?

And please point out where I said the movies were good. The movies are over the top and hella predictable, but I'm not sitting there crying about the quality of the acting either.

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

So would film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who then could be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

1. yes
2. Spike Lee, Antoine Fuqua, John Singleton, Will Smith (has producer credits on multiple films), Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington (same as Will), & Whoopi Goldberg

3. Spike Lee (40 Acres & A Mule), Will Smith (Overbrook Entertainment), Denzel (Mundy Lane Entertainment), Whoopi Goldberg (One Ho Productions, no I'm not kidding
laugh.gif
), & John Singleton (New Deal Entertainment)

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

So would film and black cinema be better off without Tyler Perry? Who then could be looked up to? What other black person has their own studio?

1. yes
2. Spike Lee, Antoine Fuqua, John Singleton, Will Smith (has producer credits on multiple films), Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington (same as Will), & Whoopi Goldberg

3. Spike Lee (40 Acres & A Mule), Will Smith (Overbrook Entertainment), Denzel (Mundy Lane Entertainment), Whoopi Goldberg (One Ho Productions, no I'm not kidding
laugh.gif
), & John Singleton (New Deal Entertainment)

tyler perry taints the image of black men just as most popular rap taints the image of black women

can't rock with his movies at all

hard to listen to alotta rap nowadays aswell

tyler perry taints the image of black men just as most popular rap taints the image of black women

can't rock with his movies at all

hard to listen to alotta rap nowadays aswell

Back
Top Bottom