The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Should have just kept Mata, Essien, and KDB ....brought back our loanees (Lukaku, Moses, Piazon, Bertrand, Courtouis, Marin, etc) and put together a B squad. Our B squad prob could have finished top 4. :smh:
First time i have ever agreed with you

Good read.

The Politics of Stamford Bridge
JAN 24 • FEATURED, JOE TWEEDS, OPINION • 2496 VIEWS • 8 COMMENTS

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (6 votes, average: 4.33 out of 5)
Joe attempts to digest the impending move of Juan Mata and what it really means for Chelsea’s future.

I will defer to Callum’s wonderful piece on Juan Mata concerning exactly what the Spanish number ten means to Chelsea fans. He has provided a refreshing contrast to the modern day footballer – someone you could genuinely be proud about representing your club. More importantly, during a tumultuous two year period that somehow delivered two European trophies, he will be remembered fondly for his exceptional footballing quality.

There will be plenty of online reading material that stresses the positive and negative sides of this transfer over the coming few days. Chelsea are strengthening a rival in the long-term, but similarly if it helps to reshape the balance of the squad we will be all the better for it. There are a lot of intangible points that the sale of Juan Mata alludes to and ultimately they are positive for the club. Again, I am separating sentiment from my opinion on Mata here as I would like to think there was a place for him at the club and in the side.

When José Mourinho returned to Stamford Bridge there were a plethora of questions that loomed:

1. Would he be able to work in an environment where he was not in control of transfers?
2. How would he adapt to a squad so at odds with his traditional philosophy?
3. Would he be at Chelsea long-term or a short stint?

The reported tension between José Mourinho and Frank Arnesen was a notable cause for the deterioration in his relationship with Chelsea:

“Some who worked through that era still bear metaphorical scars of the bitterness between the factions at the club, the seemingly constant conflict between Mourinho, then sporting director Frank Arnesen and the board of directors.”

How, then, would Mourinho react to working with (or under, depending on your persuasion) Michael Emenalo concerning player recruitment? It was a fair question considering the aforementioned narrative. While Chelsea spent significantly in the summer there were immediate concerns that Chelsea had overloaded on an area already rich in quality by signing Willian and André Schürrle. Moreover, the glaring hole at centre forward still had not been adequately filled with a comparable player of the class of Sergio Agüero, Robin Van Persie et al. The club appeared to be persisting with this Barcelona-lite vision with arguably the wrong manager.

Nevertheless, as the season progressed and players settled the direction of the team became a lot more apparent. Thankfully the club appear to have realised that transitioning the squad towards a Barcelona-in-blue end goal was pushing them further away from reclaiming the Premier League title. There is little doubt in my mind that the squad was being saturated with diminutive playmakers to suit someone like Pep Guardiola. I have never believed that attempting to play “beautiful football[emoji]8482[/emoji]” would deliver a Premier League title and after eight years Arsenal are living proof of that. Is it any surprise that since finding an imposing centre-back, resigning Flamini and having a physical centre forward that they are actually back in the title race?

Chelsea almost bankrupted the fabric of the club on a gamble that Guardiola would manage here. Mourinho’s task is to therefore reverse two seasons of domestic inconsistency and design a squad capable of playing powerful football once again. People can point to our two recent European triumphs as signs that our Barcelona project was working, but the style of football played to achieve those trophies was entirely pragmatic.

If Mourinho’s style of football is not your idea of fun, then fair enough, but being stuck in footballing purgatory pointing towards a style that has never worked in England was crazy. You only need to look at Manchester City as to how complimenting your flair players (Agüero, Nasri, Silva and Navas) with power (Kolarov, Zabaleta, Kompany, Touré, Fernandinho and Negredo) produces a great side. Attacking football does not automatically mean playing more flair players. Arguably, our Ancelotti double winning side has produced the most exciting football we have seen and that side was almost entirely full of powerful footballers. Beating teams 7-0 is not boring, but playing wonderfully well and drawing 2-2 is.

This in part explains Mourinho’s reticence to persist with Juan Mata or ultimately build a side around him. We cannot forget that he is equally not deemed a starting midfielder for Spain and largely for the same reasons Mourinho potentially considered him surplus to requirements. While his press conference suggests Mata asked to move to Manchester United we are unlikely to know the full picture. The modern game is centred on a collective effort to regain possession as quickly as possible.

People will dismiss tracking back and defensive instincts as nonsensical for a number ten as creative as Mata, but that is the case with football today. Nasri, Silva and whoever else plays for City all pressure and track runners – it is a requirement, not a choice. Mata has both statistically and aesthetically been leagues apart from other midfielders in his two years at Chelsea: even this is only enough to get him a place on Spain’s bench. Similarly, his style was not crucial to us succeeding in Europe (but his individual set piece quality certainly was). The side has been built around him for the best part of two seasons and we have finished 6th and 3rd respectively. This is not a slight on Mata’s ability as I am aware there has been more to this than simply one player. I am just making an observation – that style of football has not worked for us.

The transfer suggests the club has unfettered belief in what Mourinho is looking to achieve. More importantly it would appear that they have bought into his philosophy of pace, power and technique as a three-pronged foundation for the squad. Selling a two-time player of the year and fan favourite would be deemed unthinkable. With recent results and consistent performances Mourinho has almost made his point before the dust has even had a chance to settle.

The signing of Nemanja Matić further suggests the club are looking to restructure around a Mourinho-esque methodology. Mourinho’s comments on Mohamed Salah prove he is happier having someone similar to Willian, to rely upon as a change of pace (literally and figuratively), rather than have a quality player who does not fit his vision for the squad sitting on the bench.

There is now an established front three in Hazard, Oscar and Willian – Schürrle is still settling but is a competent left wing replacement for Hazard and Salah will be able to rotate with Oscar and Willian. Oddly, had De Bruyne’s attitude been far better he might have actually shifted into the number 4 position given his flexibility. The difficulty will come when Eden Hazard loses form or becomes injured. Likewise, if Oscar falls foul to the same fate – but in saying that there are still people who do not see how good he is and that is peculiar. Not having someone of Mata’s class to step in is always going to be detrimental to the squad, but keeping him around for that instance alone seems unfair.

Most importantly this seems to suggest an inherent belief in Mourinho’s long-term prospects at the club. The club know that the decision is likely to rankle the supporters but trust Mourinho’s judgement that it will reap long term benefits. Again, sentiment aside, if Chelsea go on to sign a left-back, centre-back and centre-forward in the summer, the impact on the club is far greater than keeping a talented player who does not fit the playing style of the club on the bench. This is not about financial fair play in my opinion, although it might actually be, but a rational approach at building a squad that can ascend to the heights of the 2004-6 and 2009-10 vintage.

Politically the key decision makers at the club finally appear aligned. Ancelotti tried to bring through youth in his second season and despite finishing second was fired; Villas-Boas tried to radically overhaul the squad in his own unique way and was fired; Roberto Di Matteo won a European Cup (and FA Cup) and despite not receiving a striker was fired at the first sign of trouble and Benitez was never going to last beyond the season and his appointment still draws ire from Chelsea fans. We are experts at triumphing through perpetual chaos – but surely it has now come to a point whereby everyone has simmered down and realised that an attempt at harmony is best for all concerned.

It is a travesty that Juan Mata is the person deemed surplus to requirements in this whole saga. The club have certainly weighed up the long-term prospects of selling him to United and everything that entails. Remember how they have essentially toyed with us over Rooney for seasons? Yet we sell them Mata as it suits us. Liverpool may only keep Suárez until the summer but if he delivers Champions League football they will be ecstatic at turning down Arsenal’s £40,000,001 offer. We must be looking at this internally and thinking the short-term pain is worth the long-term gain.

All I can hope for is that any funds from the eventual sale of Mata are invested into the problem areas of the squad. Mourinho now has a significant input into the direction of the squad so I can only assume that he is targeting a left-back, centre-back and centre-forward in the summer.

The squad is certainly taking shape and with a few additions and perhaps some tweaks looks incredibly strong (ages in brackets) for the coming years.

GK: Thibaut Courtois (21), Petr Čech (31) + 1
LB: NEW, Patrick Van Aanholt (23), Ryan Bertrand (24) + Ashley Cole (33)
RB: César Azpilicueta (24), Wallace (19), Branislav Ivanović (29)
CB: NEW, David Luiz (26), Gary Cahill (28), Tomáš Kalas (20), Kenneth Omeruo (20) + John Terry (33)
DM: Nemanja Matić (26) + John Obi Mikel (26)
CM: Ramires (26), Marco van Ginkel (21) + Frank Lampard (35)
AM: Eden Hazard (23), Oscar (22), Willian (25), André Schürrle (23) + Mohamed Salah (21)
ST: NEW, Fernando Torres (29) + Romelu Lukaku (20)

So while the sale of Mata will certainly hurt and almost definitely strengthen Manchester United if Chelsea react and add the quality Mourinho wants will we miss Mata? As a person and an asset to this football club without question he will be missed, but as the future of Chelsea my answer sadly is no.

As Mourinho put it succinctly in his press conference: “Where he [Mata] went is less important. To be scared of that would be a problem.” We as a club will move along and from a playing perspective be better for it. Losing a very well-liked individual with the talent of Mata is always going to be painful, but I do feel quite strongly that we will be better for it.

(Even if it makes me absolutely gutted to type that).

Last edited:
Good read.

I have never believed that attempting to play “beautiful football[emoji]8482[/emoji]” would deliver a Premier League title and after eight years Arsenal are living proof of that.

But Arsenal are still playing beautiful football and will potentially deliver a title this year.
City are playing beautiful football and will potentially deliver a title this year.

Lol Eiddy I had "John Obi Mata" written in a draft but decided not to post it cuz it might rustle some United fans and u dudes been through enough :lol:

Good read.

I have never believed that attempting to play “beautiful football[emoji]8482[/emoji]” would deliver a Premier League title and after eight years Arsenal are living proof of that.

But Arsenal are still playing beautiful football and will potentially deliver a title this year.
City are playing beautiful football and will potentially deliver a title this year.

You didn't read the next two paragraphs after that did you? :lol: Or even the next sentence.

City has Toure, Negredo, Fernandinho, etc....power mixed with finesse.

Last edited:
Good read.

You didn't read the next two paragraphs after that did you? :lol:

david-moyes-facepalm.gif

Moyes doesn't do the transactions tho , that falls on ED .. what i was referring to was ppl saying world class players wouldn't sign for united because Moyes was the manager...

For the record they can use a third party all they want so long as we get deals to go through

Retired jerseys are extremely rare in soccer.

Most go to either high profile players who played for a club that isn't considered world class, or a player who has put in about 15+ years of high level service to an elite club.

Last edited:

Most go to either high profile players who played for a club that isn't considered world class, or a player who has put in about 15+ years of high level service to an elite club.

Even then they won't retire your number. Never happens. Numbers are a way to identify positions (most of the time) so yea, number 7 will never be retired at Man. U.

[RUMOUR] Man Utd make £22.5m bid for Luke Shaw (mirror.co.uk)

That's a decent sum of money, Liebherr might want to push the deal through to cash in, but I think Pochettino will block any idea of this.

Cruyff (14) at Ajax and Zola (25) at Chelsea are first to come to mind, there are others but like said the main numbers for positions should be open forever

Maybe Giggs, but even then, I doubt they will.

New Barça president has confirmed in his first press conference that Neymar was sold for €88.2 million.

Now that that's cleared up. Lol

Back
Top Bottom