The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Oh man feel bad for my dude Marcos. Sure he's young but he had a great season and CL. Plus he's an ex Roma player so I will forever keep tabs on him.

Scolari seems to have a thing for Bernard. He's always in his squad :lol:

His stats for Shakhtar are not all that impressive, and he's very comparable to Coutinho and Lucas Moura both in stature and style, whom IMO are better players playing for more competitive teams in more competitive leagues.

Scolari is Scolari. He took Luis Boa Morte instead of Quaresma in 2006, Portuguese people went crazy cause that's the time Quaresma was his fittest and best. But Scolari chose what he knew. Moura not making it doesn't surprise me (somewhat like Quaresma),Coutinho has been injured, so Scolari chose Bernard, who played great for Mineiro in Brazil last year and has good playing time this year. He makes these types of decisions. That's who he is.

I would have put Moura and Coutinho on tho, but Filipao will Filipao.

I somewhat understand why Diego Costa didn't want to play for him, Scolari never chose him and trusted his ability. So he said **** that.

Last edited:
I think Big Phil put together a balanced team very capable of winning the WC at home. It doesn't have the big stars as in years past but the core of this team have grown together & gelled pretty well. They've won 13 of their last 14. The only loss was a friendly against the Swiss. They played extremely well in the Confed Cup to.

Can someone post the rule that allowed Costa to switch

"Article 7 of the Regulations Governing the Applications of Statutes, FIFA Statutes, is the key provision which Costa has been able to rely upon to allow him to choose to represent Spain. This Clause provides that a player who plays for a continuous period of over five years after reaching the age of 18 in the territory of the relevant national association, can play for that national association in international football providing that they have not played an official competition match for another national state (it should be noted that Costa would not qualify to play for Spain on any other grounds)."

Btw, can we also just get a reminder why Costa chose Spain?

Surely he would make it into the Brazil team easily, and the squad looks solid enough for a deep run...

Surely he would make it into the Brazil team easily, and the squad looks solid enough for a deep run...

Probably just felt more comfortable playing for spain and the players on the NT that are on his club..just my guess.

Probably just felt more comfortable playing for spain and the players on the NT that are on his club..just my guess.

Many of the players that are going to start alongside him are Madrid/Barca players that probably hate him though :lol:

I read up a little more, but apparently since he's been in Europe since 06 he lost some of his connection with Brazil, and he felt like he was getting snubbed by Scolari for Fred.

Many of the players that are going to start alongside him are Madrid/Barca players that probably hate him though :lol:

Lol true true..but in that case everyone hates eachother, no? I'm sure they'll let his shenanigins slide to win a WC tho

Although it's old news, and Brazil has Thiago Silva+Dante at the back, Pepe's current form will leave Brazil missing out too, and be a big plus for Portugal.

Side note but United States has no hope in that group :frown:

Lol true true..but in that case everyone hates eachother, no? I'm sure they'll let his shenanigins slide to win a WC tho

Diego Costa seems to rustle opponents on another level though, but I'm sure he falls under the hate to play against him/love to play with him category. Unless you're Fernando Torres :lol:

Edit: Just realized Costa can potentially take his spot on both the international and club level :lol:

Last edited:

Most Spanish players got along well before Mourinho came through and started instigating :rofl: Casillas started an intervention to patch things up last year (one of the reasons he got sent to the bench by Mou), and that's probably why you don't see Spanish NT players fighting each that much anymore during the Clasicos. Obviously Pepe's not Spanish and said "@$%@ all that peace @#$%" :lol:

Last edited:
Oh and I haven't watched any Ligue 1 this year, but kinda crazy that Monaco are second only behind PSG who've been established for a while now, and also considering their superstar striker has been out since halfway in the season.

It took PSG a few seasons with oil-money to beat out all the other non-oil clubs :lol:

Last edited:
Sicne we were on the subject of Brazil....

Cleaning out some of my bookmarks & came across this oldie but goodie...

Did CR7 get hurt my score center just alerted me
mean.gif

RIP Joan Lacueva, a former Barca director general passed away today at 65. While the board was hemming & hawwing on whether to sign Messi, Lacueva paid cash out of his pwn pocket for Messi to get the growth-hormone treatments he needed at 12 years old. Lacueva has the famous napkin contract.

He used to work for Espanyol where he was credited for bringing Mauricio Pochettino from Newells.

Once he moved to Barca, he brought over Iniesta with him. What an eye for talent... RIP.

View media item 958999

Last edited:
Villa is absolutely crowding that box. City has been patient so far, but quality chances have been few. We'll see what adjustments are made in the second half.

Back
Top Bottom