The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Typical Arsenal fans...celebrating being 3rd for the the 7th consecutive year in a row...
laugh.gif

When we were at one point 17th and have been written off ALL season while in a rebuilding year losing who we lost both to transfers and injuries I say being where we are now is something to be happy about. Yes there is alot to do yet to keep/finish in the place but man can we live? 
laugh.gif

Typical Arsenal fans...celebrating being 3rd for the the 7th consecutive year in a row...
laugh.gif

Everyone who thought we'd be in the Champions League next year, please raise your hand. No one? Exactly. Shut up.

Told you guys the La Liga race is far from over. Dropped points can occur at anytime especially with the pressure of the lead. 
I'll be honest, the City/Chelsea match was disappointing in quality for the first 70 minutes or so. City failed to finish in the final third on numerous occasions and Chelsea gave away possession far too easily numerous times (Ramires). United may be favored to win their 20th PL title based on experience, form, and Sir Alex. That late match at Ethiad will be extremely tough and decisive for both sides. City at Arsenal also playing a crucial role in the Premier League table. 

Originally Posted by Noskey

laugh.gif

Everyone who thought we'd be in the Champions League next year, please raise your hand. No one? Exactly. Shut up.
Even though there's rumors of RVP leaving which I highly doubt he will. 
Let's just say Podolski is signed.  Who else is coming to Arsenal?  

I'm surprised RVP stayed fit this whole season, I doubt he can do that for 2 in a row, amazing talent, but that boy has legs made of jello.

What makes you think you'll even be competitive in CL next season? 

Are there some rumored signings I don't know about?

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Told you guys the La Liga race is far from over. Dropped points can occur at anytime especially with the pressure of the lead.
Honestly, if Madrid holds on to 1st, I'll be fine with it since "El Pasillo" won''t take place at Camp Nou
laugh.gif
Although they did receive a thrashing the last time that happened
pimp.gif

not too many Serie A fans in here..... we made the Coppa Italia Final yesterday.... glad to be able to pound Juve two more times this season!

^ Everyone knows Cavani and Lavezzi, but I love the work of Inler, Gargano, and Maggio in the middle of the park. Especially Maggio's workrate playing outside at RM.

Good piece on Fab Muamba's 78 minutes of horror: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7718919/fabrice-muamba-how-athletes-fall
Interesting tidbit: A Tottenham fan, also a cardiologist, rushed onto the pitch almost immediately to attend to the fallen Bolton player. Probably made a significant different. Well done, good man.

Gargano is def a beast in the middle and Maggio is one of the top ranked wingers in the world...Inler on the other hand hasn't has as good a season as he did last year with Udinese...only hope next year he improves

^ Zuniga has played fairly well on the left as well, beating defenders with his pace. Didn't Inler have that nice hit against Chelsea in the second-leg of CL?

^ I can't deny that CL gol but in the campionato there were just too many games that he didn't show up Parma, Chievo, Novara, Siena - points lost that we could regret....for next year we need two top class defenders and a top left winger and we should expect to go further in the CL, IF we manage to qualify!

^ Who would you like to personally see targeted in defense and LW? Imagine Chiellini and Hazard in Naples, talk about a dream come true. Defense becomes so important in a 3-4-3 system and Chiellini is so versatile at CB and LB. I know very well he would almost never leave Juve for Napoli, but it's fun to entertain the thought. Hazard seems London-bound to Spurs but he's a young talent with world-class potential. Maybe Michel Bastos is a realistic option for Napoli in the summer. All I know is Mazzari better take advantage with Inter's current dark period, especially with AVB potentially coming in.

^Interesting thought, but as much as we need top class defenders Chiellini would never be welcome, and I personally wouldn't want him either.... so for LW we need someone with pace and good at crosses since our wing play is our lifeforce, I like Fiorentina's Vargas and Diego Perrotti, as for defenders some top class names that I would love to see join us are Aymen Abdennour from Toulouse, Subotic, Bocchetti (from Naples), Astori, Benatia and Zapata would really strengthen us, these are realistic signings of course because our president has a tight control over our budget and would never spend Sheik-like sums on a single player. It's funny as I've been hearing Ivanovic rumors lately, though I would have a hard time forgiving him!

^ Very good post and Napoli insight. I agree that Perotti would be a good fit from Sevilla. I've heard Ivanovic's agent is publicly declaring his player's loyalty to Chelsea and desire to remain at Stamford Bridge. Subotic may be very tough to sign, Chelsea already tried in January with a significant offer and was turned down immediately. I feel Neven's future remains with Dortmund and should sign a new contract when his current one expires in 2013. Especially with Klopp convincingly committing to BVB amidst recent speculation of alternative job offers. Most Americans don't know or realize that Subotic was a U-20 product in the States. I assume you're referring to Cristian Zapata. I've always liked him for Udinese (club) and Colombia (country). Similar to Chiellini to a lesser extent, Zapata is versatile enough to play in central defense as well as slide outside to RB when necessary.

^Yea, Subotic has that kind of Judas view with USMNT fans have regarding G. Rossi.. to a lesser extent though...We have a future star on loan in Serie B Lorenzo Insigne, who is on a lot of top clubs radar, but if Mazzari is lured away - which won't be a tragedy - we would have to look at fielding a totally different formation - Our goals for the end of the season, 3rd place finish is a must, Coppa Italia victory, demolish Juve at their house and absolutely hold on to Cavani Lavezzi and Hamsik

Rossi is actually an acquaintance from when he lived/played in Teaneck, NJ.

Curious as to why you think Mazzari is replaceable, too hot-headed?

Only a point back, I could easily see Napoli clinching that crucial third spot in the table over Lazio and Udinese. Lavezzi and Hamsik should stay in Naples through the summer, but a large offer (50m-rated) for Cavani would be difficult to pass up.

I'll be sure to track Insigne, as you mentioned.

^ Mazzarri doesn't have the best reputation with the fans especially after rumored talks with a Juve switch last summer, plus his insistence on the 3-4-3 and on constantly using the same players and not the bench really bring up questions about him, we had all the assets to win the scudetto this year, so if he wants to hold talks this summer he is welcome to.

It does always seem like Mazzari marches out the same starting eleven almost on every occasion. De Sanctis, Aronica, Cannavaro, Campagnaro, Inler, Gargano, Maggio, Zuniga, Lavezzi, Hamsik, and Cavani. With appearances from Pandev and Dossena. Plus, Napoli seemed to play well/inspired even without Mazzari on the bench in the first-leg of CL against Chelsea.

What made you a Napoli supporter? Is there real dissension between Cavani and Lavezzi?

In terms of strong managers for Italian clubs, I really like Luis Enrique and believe he deserves to be Pep's heir apparent.

I'm from Napoli - pops is American thats why Im in the states now, its hard being a one man supporters club

Im also a child of the 80s so I was around for Maradona and Careca and got to see that historic team many times. No beef at all between Cavani and Lavezzi, the media trys to shake up the locker room with rubbish stories like that. Obviously hoping that the richer teams take advantage.

Montella is a rising star, his Catania side play a real nice style of football, too bad we'll have to take care of them this weekend!

laugh.gif

People in this thread were saying Arsenal wouldn't finish better than 7th

how?????
A Sunday league side named Wheel Power FC have set a new record in British football as they beat local rivals Nova 2010 FC 58-0.
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/font]
Power brothers Robbie and Stuart Bowker scored 28 times between them, with Robbie bagging 18 goals in a game that was over after just five minutes as they raced into a 5-0 lead.

The result overtook Cornish side Illogan's 55-0 thrashing of Madron FC in November 2010 in the record books, although it should be noted that Nova were forced to call up four players at the last minute to ensure their nine-men could take on the ten of Power.

Stuart Bowker, 21, told The Sun: "At 50-0 they'd had enough but the referee told them they must carry on playing or they would risk being fined.

"After the final whistle a couple of their players shook hands but the rest just got into their cars and drove off, but you can't really blame them for that. They weren't even bottom of the league."

Power's player/manager Andy Woodward revealed: "The referee's biro went blunt after a while. It was a bit embarrassing but fair play to the other team for carrying on - they were really sporting. The result will certainly help at the end of the season if it goes down to goal difference."

Nova's Lewis Parker, 60, added: "A lot of the players didn't turn up so we expected to lose but not by that much."

http://soccernet.espn.go....-record-58-0-win?cc=5901

I mean I know it's just a pickup game, but still  
laugh.gif

roll.gif
@ the ref threatening to fine the team for wanting to give up after being down 50-0

Like clockwork.

I wake up early on a Saturday to catch a Spurs game and it's a total dud.
Well, it kind of picked up towards the end, but still.. ehh.

Back
Top Bottom