The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by GMA 11
For my main man GMA... funny stuff... 
laugh.gif

Milan's chances of pulling the upset on Barca just went down. Thiago Silva out for a month.

Juventus and Lazio punished for racial slurs made by their fans.
Arsene Wenger believes that Podolski will help them get the PL-title.
Bayern will not extend their relationship with Breno.

^ Deserved. Juve result sealed his fate, but it was a long time coming. AVB has to be the favorite to replace Ranieri at the San Siro.
Dembele is man of the match for me on Fulham's side. I have no idea why Jol utilizes him and Dempsey as CMs when both players are far more effective playing up top as CFs. Dembele tracked back well especially for a true CF playing out of position, dribbled well in the midfield, and attempted to create solid chances in the final third. Fulham is an anomaly to me. The talent is there but I can't figure out why they only have 36 points and are sitting at 13th in the table. For me, they have the quality to be a top-10 side. Pog, Bryan, Dempsey, and Dembele. That's a good attack leading the line. Diarra is a veteran player with valuable European experience. Hangeland is usually solid in defense. Riise gets forward and has a monster left foot. Schwarzer saved the match today as well with Dembele, despite the lost points/negative result. Made brilliant saves on Young and Valencia. Valencia is the best wide midfielder in the 2011-2012 campaign with Bale trailing close behind. David Silva being my #1 CM in this year's campaign even despite the recent fatigue and dip in form. Top forwards: RVP, Ba, and Rooney. Top defenders: Kompany, Evans (shocking, I know), and Coloccini. 

The Carrick foul on Murphy was a PK. From the ref's view, he may have thought Carrick won the ball clean but I also feel with his youth (youngest's ref in the PL) and relative inexperience, Oliver made the safe decision to not call the PK at Old Trafford for the away side. Also, Oliver probably didn't want to ruffle any feathers by altering the landscape of the race for the Premier League title between City and United. He was letting a lot of fouls go for both sides throughout the match. "Let them play" mentality. 

As someone else previously mentioned in this thread, Ashley Young is phenomenal at picking out the far post.

LOVELY....
with the schedule shaping up...we REALLY need that 3 point cushion....now we need Arsenal to do us a favor....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

^ Deserved. Juve result sealed his fate, but it was a long time coming. AVB has to be the favorite to replace Ranieri at the San Siro.
Dembele is man of the match for me on Fulham's side. I have no idea why Jol utilizes him and Dempsey as CMs when both players are far more effective playing up top as CFs. Dembele tracked back well especially for a true CF playing out of position, dribbled well in the midfield, and attempted to create solid chances in the final third. Fulham is an anomaly to me. The talent is there but I can't figure out why they only have 36 points and are sitting at 13th in the table. For me, they have the quality to be a top-10 side. Pog, Bryan, Dempsey, and Dembele. That's a good attack leading the line. Diarra is a veteran player with valuable European experience. Hangeland is usually solid in defense. Riise gets forward and has a monster left foot. Schwarzer saved the match today as well with Dembele, despite the lost points/negative result. Made brilliant saves on Young and Valencia. Valencia is the best wide midfielder in the 2011-2012 campaign with Bale trailing close behind. David Silva being my #1 CM in this year's campaign even despite the recent fatigue and dip in form. Top forwards: RVP, Ba, and Rooney. Top defenders: Kompany, Evans (shocking, I know), and Coloccini. 

The Carrick foul on Murphy was a PK. From the ref's view, he may have thought Carrick won the ball clean but I also feel with his youth (youngest's ref in the PL) and relative inexperience, Oliver made the safe decision to not call the PK at Old Trafford for the away side. Also, Oliver probably didn't want to ruffle any feathers by altering the landscape of the race for the Premier League title between City and United. He was letting a lot of fouls go for both sides throughout the match. "Let them play" mentality. 

As someone else previously mentioned in this thread, Ashley Young is phenomenal at picking out the far post.
no it wasn't.  
The fact is the ref has to be 100% sure it's a foul to call a PK.  And he wasn't.  In fact he didn't even reach up to blow the whistle.  He saw clearly. 

It was silly of Carrick to put his hands there, but to be honest, Carrick's hands grazed his back, Murphy was looking to go down waaaaay too easily.  

Murphy should of had more confidence, taken a good first touch and had a go at goal...instead he was always looking to do down, just waiting until someone got close to him. 

The contact simply wasn't enough for a foul. 

A clear penalty that wasn't given was on Ramires in the last Chelsea game.  The contact was enough to push the player off balance/onto the ground.  

If footie continues this way of people wanting a PK for grazing people, soon players will tap someone on the back to tell them something PK's will be awarded...

LOL stop. It was a penalty. Unsurprising though, not many refs would have the stones to call a last minute penalty against United at Old Trafford with Fergie staring them down from the touchline.

Utd were poor, but these are just the kinds of games Ferguson's sides pull out - the kinds of games that win you league titles. As a neutral, I just hope it's all up for grabs when they visit Etihad. 
AVB has to be the favorite to replace Ranieri at the San Siro

He was spotted at the Barcelona B game over the weekend 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

How did I miss that^?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Talk about breakaway speed.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

First I've seen of Neymar that actually made me believe some of the hype.

The hype with Neymar is legitimate, but the burdening international expectations are not. For Brazilians that expected the youngster to "carry" the squad in Copa America, completely unfair. Even in 2014 at the WC, he's going to need assistance/strong performances from Hulk, Ganso, Lucas Moura, Damiao, and Marcelo. 
For club, Neymar may really fulfill his Santos contract through 2014. He's happy in Brazil and well-paid with wages, one of the top contracts in the world. It's funny, Chelsea was initially the favorite, then Madrid and now Barca. We'll have to see how this situation unfolds in coming years. Either way, a nitpick suggestion would be for Neymar to put some weight on his frame for the rigors of European football. 

While I think Neymar is an absolute beast...with the speed and ball control....

The issue is that Neymar plays in a league where defense isn't exactly highly regarded...

The way he just dances through 3 defenders wouldn't happen in Europe. Someone would made a lunge.

Also, the issues with players that are THAT skilled with the ball control, is they often get fouled, ALOT, which can lead to injury.

Or they end up like Ronaldinho, where managers put 2 men on him, essentially taking him out of the game. he will need to work on his vision and positioning if he wants to play more like Messi...that way you never know what he's going to do. He could go for goal, or lay it off for a teammate.

Or he will have to be ridiculously fit and strong to come closer to Ronaldo.

Did anyone honestly watching the man u vs fulham match think it was a PK LIVE.  I saw the replay and ill admit he caught him.  But when i saw it live i shook my head immediately no it looked like a dive to me real time.  
Neymar's speed is straight up scary 
eek.gif

The second Neymar run/goal would have been prevented abruptly by a professional foul from a savvy veteran in the EPL or La Liga. That's the reason Menezes publicly stated that Neymar must move to Europe to get more physical and continue improving his football. European experience is invaluable even if the Brazilians at home don't like the notion. Wherever he moves, Neymar's first season will show fatigue and fading performances much like Silva and Mata in the EPL as the campaign progresses deeper and with various competitions for trophies. Based on the Brazilian's potential, quick feet, and tremendous ball skills, I can plausibly see him reaching close to the level of Messi and Ronaldo but not surpassing the two. Neymar doesn't have Ronaldo's frame or physical supremacy on the pitch. Yet he doesn't have Messi's passing vision and creative ability just yet either. 
I would like to revisit this debate: Who do you guys think is the third best footballer in the world currently? Xavi, Iniesta, Rooney, Silva and RVP could all garner legitimate consideration. 

Dortmund and Mario Götze extend their partnership till 2016.
Chelsea wants Laurent Blanc.

Back
Top Bottom