The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

I understand that but you really think Everton is winning trophies in the PL?! :Lol They've had a GREAT season and best they'll do is 6th place. Hes even gotten them into CL qualification before which is impressive, as well as Europa league. And stability will be a good thing for united IMO, especially after SAF. Everton have NO resources, and his track record there can only be viewed as successful with what he had, they even won at Old Trafford this yr. t

The folks at United aren't gonna want a mercenary manager who's gonna leave after 2-3 good seasons and be erratic. I think Moyes would do well there with all the resources and talent, and ability to buy talent.

He also couldnt win the FA cup or the Carling/Capital cup. What bothers more than anything is his football is pretty old school; Generally 4-4-2 long balls from the wings that works to keep a team midtable but we wont be competing in europe with that. There is a reason that in his "successful" 11 yrs at everton no one else have taken him on as manager.

Moyes isn't a "big time" name, but to be fair to him, I think he's been able to get the most out of what he's got. Now give him the resources of United, let's see what he'll be able to do in a few years.  It's always been about the long-game. 

But who else is available?  I think Jürgen Klopp was also thrown in as a rumor?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...-manchester-united-to-name-sir-alex-successor

Goal.com understands that the recently crowned Premier League champions are set to confirm that the Toffees manager will take over at Old Trafford at the end of the season
EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey

David Moyes is set to be appointed the new manager of Manchester United in the next 24 hours, Goal.com understands.

The Everton boss is expected to be announced as the successor to Sir Alex Ferguson, who revealed on Wednesday morning that he is stepping down at the end of the season.

Sources have told Goal.com that the United players learned at the club's Carrington training ground today that Moyes is the man who has been lined up to take over from Sir Alex.

Everton have said that they have not been approached by the new Premier League champions to negotiate Moyes' release but it is understood that the Scot has agreed a deal to take over at Old Trafford.

The 50-year-old will have to resign from his post at Goodison Park to complete the formalities of a switch to United but he is out of contract at the end of the season and the process is set to be a swift, smooth and amicable one.

Moyes is a long-time friend of Sir Alex and the pair are set to enjoy a close relationship next season, given that Sir Alex is moving upstairs to join United's board of directors.

It is believed that Moyes has been personally cherry-picked by Sir Alex ahead of a number of Continental managers with proven European credentials.

The decision would then have been ratified by the United board, including the Glazer family, who own the club, and current chief executive David Gill, but they are believed to have been comfortable with Sir Alex having the biggest say in the identity of the man who takes his seat in the dugout.

A close circle of senior United figures have kept the plans shrouded in secrecy to avoid a repeat of the situation in 2001-02 when Sir Alex felt the team were destabilised after he announced his intention to retire at the end of the campaign, only to later change his mind.

Moyes has established Everton as a top-six club during his 11-year reign on Merseyside despite having a budget that is dwarfed by his immediate rivals.

He has not won a trophy since moving to Goodison Park in March 2002 but United are putting greater store in his Premier League experience, motivational qualities, coaching nous and ability to get the most out of his players.

Everton are on course to finish above Merseyside rivals Liverpool in the Premier League for the second consecutive season, a highly commendable achievement given the disparity in resources of the two clubs.

Gill, who will also leave Old Trafford this summer, has consistently said that United would seek an experienced candidate whenever the time came to make their first managerial appointment since November 1986.

Sir Alex held an emotional meeting with the players and senior coaching staff on Wednesday morning to tell them of his decision to step down as manager before he went to the main dining hall at Carrington to address a broader spectrum of club employees.

The indication given to staff is that Moyes is the man who will soon be announced as the new United boss.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/08/sir-alex-fergusons-best-quotes/

Sir Alex Ferguson’s best quotes
Joe Prince-Wright May 8, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT

Reuters
One thing Sir Alex Ferguson could never be accused of during his managerial career: holding back when he had something he wanted to say.

Over his 26 years in charge of Manchester United, Ferguson has churned out hundreds of memorable quotes that have left journalists, players, fans and managers in hysterics.

His words often spark fear, laughter and intrigue as Fergie has been in numerous confrontations with officials, the league and other clubs throughout his time in charge at Old Trafford. But that was all for one thing, the success of Manchester United Football Club.

Sit back, relax, grab yourself a nice glass of Rioja (take note Mourinho) and enjoy this list of Ferguson’s best ever quotes. Magic.

On other managers:

On Jose Mourinho: “He was certainly full of it, calling me ‘Boss’ and ‘Big Man’ when we had our post-match drink after the first leg. But it would help if his greetings were accompanied by a decent glass of wine. What he gave me was paint-stripper.”

On Rafael Benitez: “I think he is very concerned about his CV, he refers to it quite a lot.”

On his bust-up with Newcastle boss Alan Pardew:“The press have had a field day. The only person they have not spoken to is Barack Obama because he is busy.”

On Arsène Wenger “They say he’s an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I’ve got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages!”

His Players:

On Gary Neville “If he was an inch taller he’d be the best centre-half in Britain. His father is 6ft 2in – I’d check the milkman.”

On the infamous incident when he kicked a boot and it hit David Beckham in the head :“It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn’t happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!”

On Ryan Giggs “I remember the first time I saw him. He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind.”

On Paul Ince “I used to have a saying that when a player is at his peak, he feels as though he can climb Everest in his slippers. That’s what he was like.”

On Wayne Rooney’s decision to sign a new contract: “Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in the field.”

On Real Madrid’s hopes of signing Cristiano Ronaldo: “Do you think I would get into a contract with that mob? Jesus Christ, no chance. I wouldn’t sell them a virus.”

On fierce rivals Manchester City and Liverpool:

On Manchester City’s emergence: “There has been a lot of expectation on Manchester City and with the spending they have done, they have to win something. Sometimes you have a noisy neighbour and have to live with it. You can’t do anything about them.”

On Liverpool “My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f****** perch. And you can print that.”

On Liverpool’s title hopes in 2007 “You must be joking. Do I look as if I’m a masochist ready to cut myself? How does relegation sound instead?”

On Manchester City’s Carlos Tévez poster “It’s City, isn’t it? They are a small club, with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United, that’s all they’ve done and they can’t get away from it.”

General Comments:

On the Italian teams and their mind games: “When an Italian tells me it’s pasta on the plate, I check under the sauce to make sure. They are the inventors of the smokescreen.”

On AC Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi: “That lad must have been born offside.”

On United’s dramatic Champions League final victory over Bayern Munich in 1999: “Football, bloody hell.”

On retirement: “The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.”

Last edited:
This is really interesting. I've found what's mentioned below an effective approach with my son after practices & games particularly with telling him what a great job he's done. The other day his side was scrimmaging with the U10 team & they were being really physical.

This one kid kept bodying up my son & even tripped him. I thought he was going to cry at one point when he got tripped but he got right up & got the ball back or defended to the point the opposing player had to give up the ball. I told him during the break what a great job he was doing & he continued to play well.

I wish the fine folks at Camp Nou would heed the words of the last quote... :rolleyes

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...st-years-harvard-study-provided-some-answers/

How did Alex Ferguson do it? Last year’s Harvard study provided some answers
Steve Davis May 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Sir Alex Ferguson is clearly a wise manager and a learned man. Harvard is clearly a place with a lot of smarties, too.

So what better conflagration for sorting out the Sir Alex way? Just a few months ago Harvard released an in-depth study of Ferguson’s management approaches. It really was a revealing look, candid and reasonably condensed, at the tool and techniques of one of global soccer’s top managers yet.

The study by the Harvard Business School in America was released last September, just as Ferguson was getting into the current, championship season.

One of the best bits was his approach to criticizing players. We tend to think of the man’s gruff exterior and probably all believe that it’s all about applying constant pressure and grinding his men into perfection – the famous Ferguson “hair-dryer” and all. But the reality sounds different. From the study:

"There is no room for criticism on the training field. For a player – and for any human being – there is nothing better than hearing ‘Well done’. Those are the two best words ever invented in sports. Also, you can’t always come in (after a game) shouting and screaming. That doesn’t work. No one likes to get criticized. But in the dressing room, it’s necessary that you point out your players’ mistakes. I do it right after the game. I don’t wait until Monday, I do it, and it’s finished. I’m on to the next match. There is no point in criticizing a player forever. And I never discuss an individual player in public. The players know that. It stays indoors.”

It’s interesting, because so many managers more or less leave the players along after matches. They believe that players are emotional at that time and need to be left to themselves. As for the problems that need addressing, that’s what practice is for.

This excerpt is interesting, too, because Ferguson gets to the very core of his success at Old Trafford: building a “club” and not just building a “team” to survive. He also moves on to talking about older players, the likes of Nicky Butt and the tough business of seeing not what they are at the moment, but what they are going to be in two years.

"The first thought for 99 per cent of new managers is to make sure they win – to survive. They bring experienced players in, often from their previous clubs. But I think it is important to build a structure for a football club, not just a football team. You need a foundation. And there is nothing better than seeing a young player make it to the first team. The idea is that the younger players are developing and meeting the standards that the older ones have set before. The hardest thing is to let go of a player who has been a great guy. But all the evidence is on the football field. If you see the change, the deterioration, you have to start asking yourself what it is going to be like two years ahead."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom